Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

Neville Southall in some of his comments about him were right. Once he got No.1 he was quite content with what he achieved and didn't push himself enough to improve as a keeper. He seems to have matured now as a keeper. I can't really blame the club on this one. He was inconsistent and then we had the incident at Southampton. Many of us here were probably in agreement then that it was right for him to move on.

Remember this as well, I don't think Peyton is rated as a coach by Arsenal keepers over the years. Fabianski for one told Wenger this when he left for Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

greendom wrote: »
    I'd say he's a keeper equivalent to Walcott, Wilshere or Gibbs in outfield. Decent level but not the type of player who's going to push you on to win the league.

Always a mistake in him and his mentality can be found wanting. We can do better

Obviously, Juve see something in him. To be fair to him he was thrown in at a young age, I think he was only 20 when he was in goal for that Carling cup final against Birmingham, With the exception of a special few, most keepers don't hit their prime till their late twenties. I can't claim to have watched any Roma games so I don't know how he has developed over there, maybe the change of scenery and new voices did him good. Either way, how many years are left in Cech? 2 maybe? He is also very prone to errors. There probably are better out there but I wouldn't trust the club to go out and get them

Wilshere been told he can leave.

Who would have thought his career would have gone the way it did after the 10/11 season.

A pity because I'm a huge fan, yet it's probably the right decision in the circumstances.

We may never see him get a near that form consistently again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wilshere been told he can leave.

Who would have thought his career would have gone the way it did after the 10/11 season.

A pity because I'm a huge fan, yet it's probably the right decision in the circumstances.

We may never see him get a near that form consistently again.

Is this fact or twitter? Last I heard from Wenger was he was staying for sure

• Advertisement

On Woj too many deciding we want him because Juv want him, there's no logic in that.

He is a good keeper but there are another 50 like him decent at that level, Ospina is better than Woj.

Czech has another reliable year or two in him, I'd rather we found a better solution than Woj

I liked Woj good character but lacks professionalism if reports on him are to be believed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soups123 wrote: »
    On Woj too many deciding we want him because Juv want him, there's no logic in that.

He is a good keeper but there are another 50 like him decent at that level, Ospina is better than Woj.

Czech has another reliable year or two in him, I'd rather we found a better solution than Woj

I liked Woj good character but lacks professionalism if reports on him are to be believed

Agreed, who's to say Italian football may suit his style better. He's been found wanting too many times for me to have any faith in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ospina is better than Woj.

He really isn't.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He really isn't.

Based on what they have produced for Arsenal I would say he is but each to there own

• Advertisement

Based on what they have produced for Arsenal I would say he is but each to there own

How many good games has Ospina had for us? I can't recall any where he stood out.

Also saying on what they've produced for Arsenal is a moot point because it's not about that, it's about what they can produce for Arsenal that matters.

How many good games has Ospina had for us? I can't recall any where he stood out.

Also saying on what they've produced for Arsenal is a moot point because it's not about that, it's about what they can produce for Arsenal that matters.

It kind of is, both had chances and performed at there respective levels, Woj has done good at Roma but not amazing by any stretch. Ospina has had loads of brilliant games, I don't think him or Woj are top class, I think Ospina is slightly better but that's just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jesus. That clip brought back some bad memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The amount of stupid penaltys ......

Can't think of which games they were but the only times I remember thinking Ospina looked good was when we lost anyway.

Meh, finding it hard to get excited about anything Arsenal-related. Even looking at Chesney there, we get rid of an error-prone keeper and it yields no improvement. Cech is absolutely middle-of-the-road at this stage of his career. People are somehow happy to get rid of our second-highest goalscorer from last season because of the usual abstract "lacks bottle" rubbish. Oh he jumped out of a tackle.
    We're getting rid of Chambers (what a signing that turned out to be), Wilshere who so many held out hope for for ages.
    It's all completely meh. Lacazette should be a nice buy but I don't see it improving us by 4 spots in the league. Also the Thursday/Sunday layout is going to be a pain this season.

Arghus wrote: »
    Jesus. That clip brought back some bad memories.
    The amount of stupid penaltys ......

True.

The signs were there as early as his first full season in 11/12 and on top of that the disastrous game he had for Poland against Greece in Euro 2012. By the way another penalty coming off his line in that game and a huge mistake for their goal.

We arguably persevered too long with him. A new keeper should have even been bought then.

We forget as well this in the Champions League for Roma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2p7vpOByo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Thought Cech was terrible last year, if he had Szczesny on his back he would have gotten far more abuse for it.

AdamD wrote: »
    Thought Cech was terrible last year, if he had Szczesny on his back he would have gotten far more abuse for it.

He got called out for it too. As the defence improved with 3 at the back so did he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

greendom wrote: »
    He got called out for it too. As the defence improved with 3 at the back so did he

Arseblog did a decent article which showed that statistically we were allowing just as many shots with 3 at the back and the only change was that Cech was saving more.

Arseblog did a decent article which showed that statistically we were allowing just as many shots with 3 at the back and the only change was that Cech was saving more.

I always thought that the back 3 wasn't so much about improving the defence, but more about improving our attack. That said, I'd still expect our back 3 to improve defensively over time as players are more used to their roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I thought that too just by watching games, it seemed to me that Cech was making saves he wasn't making earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Czech changed his goalkeeper coach to the coach he had at chels around the time we switched to 3 at the back too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Cech, Bielik, Mertesacker, Monreal, Maitland-Niles, Coquelin, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Ozil, Welbeck, Lacazette

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Looking forward to see how Ozil and Lacazette play together, obviously very early days but still looking forward to it.

So it seems this match is only on Eirports 2. The Chelsea match on Saturday will also be on Arsenal Player.

I thought Bielik looked very composed in the last match and his range of passing was Xhaka like. Be interesting to see how he gets on with a better quality of opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Theres a few streams on Youtube

Bayern just scored a dodgy pen 1-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijimBp6Jfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp9esheGYwY

Penalty. Lewandowski. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Nice play by Welbeck there, would have been a great goal if Ozil finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Nice play by Welbeck there, would have been a great goal if Ozil finished.

Typical Ozil weak shot at the end though, he really needs to work on that.

Kolasinac is a bit of a beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Maitland Niles being crucified so far

Basil3 wrote: »
    Kolasinac is a bit of a beast

He looks pleasingly no-nonsense so far.

No offside there.

I know this is just a friendly and all but this team badly needs a Cazorla replacement, midfield gets cleaned out by any decent side.

Incorrect offside call? Should be 2-0 down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Basil3 wrote: »
    Incorrect offside call? Should be 2-0 down.

Well, 1-0 if the ref calls out the diving penalty...

Great chance Lacazette, keeper did well but should have scored.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some good saves from Cech there, the defence are certainly giving him the opportunity to show off his skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

The officials have been really poor in this match, especially with offside calls.

Was Kolasinac taken off because he was injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Was Kolasinac taken off because he was injured?

The commentators are unsure, he looked fine walking off so he might just have not been feeling well. Mert pulled out of the starting 11 due to illness. We should probably see a good few more changes at half time of after 10 or 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

might have been the food they ate earlier :L :L "sickness" on a more serious note our team still isn't fluid. Some robust passes and for crying out loud somebody shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

This ref is terrible. It might be a friendly but we just stand off way too much for my liking. I've been fairly impressed with the kids in pre-season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I've been impressed with Elneny in the back 3.

And yes, the referee and his officials have got some really bad calls in this. That yellow for Elneny was ridiculous.

Fantastic goal on the break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Brilliant from Iwobi

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

IWOBI!!

Penalties!

That was really nice by Ramsey to pop it up with his left foot. A lot of footballers wouldn't do that just because it's their wrong foot, drives me mad.

Top corner from Nacho

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement