Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

Top corner from Nacho

You must be a good way ahead of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Oh glorious day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Sweet revenge for the 10-2 last season. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

They wont want to meet us in the latter stages of the Europa League after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just confirmed by the club that Ches is gone to Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Only saw the second half of that match today.
    The young lads did well but it would be hard to pick out a stand-out performer. We are still giving possession away too easily even at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

We still need a proper tackling CM!

Woj's farewell message:

“I remember being a young boy in Poland, watching David Seaman, Thierry Henry, Dennis Berkamp and others play for Arsenal. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get a chance to play for the club I supported as a little kid.

“When I was approached by Arsenal in 2005 my world changed forever. I began my journey as a 16-year-old boy at the Arsenal’s academy, trying to one day become a first team player, going out for evening runs in East Barnet with Jack Wilshere. Little did we know then, that couple years later we’d beat Barcelona in the Champions League and wear the no.1 and no.10 shirts.

“It has been over 11 years since I became an Arsenal player and I never thought the day I leave this club would come. Everything that I am and everything that I have, I owe to Arsenal, Arsene Wenger, Liam Brady, David Court, Bob Arber, Steve Bould, Neil Banfield, Mike Salmon, Tony Roberts, Gerry Peyton, Pat Rice and many others. Words can’t describe my gratitude to these people and love for this club.

“Today I move on, ready for the new challenge in my life, taking with me only the good memories and bag of expierience. I leave hopeful that those days of Berkamp, Henry, Seaman and others are soon to return to Emirates Stadium and Arsenal get back to winning the Premier League.

“I may not be an Arsenal player no more but I will carry the Arsenal name with me wherever I go and I will do so with great pride. Once a Gunner, always a Gunner! ❤”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'll always remember him for the brilliant feat of breaking both of his arms at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

"Once a Gunner, always a Gunner."

You'd actually believe Szczesny means that though, unlike some others that have used it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

He must have really pissed Wenger off with the smoking thing! It's pretty obvious that he loved the club. Nice sentiment from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its quite frustrating that Wenger has a history of being so incredibly loyal to average players that have contributed next to nothing (Diaby, Denilson, Gibbs, Walcott, Jenkinson) but can be so ruthless with players who really havent warranted such treatment (Szcz, Joel Campbell, Perez). Stuff may happen behind the scenes but its baffling.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its quite frustrating that Wenger has a history of being so incredibly loyal to average players that have contributed next to nothing (Diaby, Denilson, Gibbs, Walcott, Jenkinson) but can be so ruthless with players who really havent warranted such treatment (Szcz, Joel Campbell, Perez). Stuff may happen behind the scenes but its baffling.

In fairness Diaby was exceptionally talented, far more so than Joel Campbell who has some qualities but is fairly average overall. Szcz was talented alright but didn't perform to the standards he should have, some of that was down to attitude i think which is what sealed his fate. He was give 4-5 years as undisputed No. 1.

Gibbs, Jenkinson were homegrown & happy to sit on the bench.

Perez is a bit odd, always seemed to impress when he came on. His decision to leave, i guess he doesn't want to sit on the bench this late in his career.

Morata to Chelsea. Who would people prefer out of him and Lacazette?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭darrenw5O94

Basil3 wrote: »
    Morata to Chelsea. Who would people prefer out of him and Lacazette?

Or Morata, Lacazette or Lukaku?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

woj.gif

Are you still alive Tayto?? Excellent European performance tonight!

Whisht!

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Are you still alive Tayto?? Excellent European performance tonight!

Yes Dundalk gave everything.
    We need a proper keeper though.
    Still proud of them. They never give up.

Yes Dundalk gave everything.
    We need a proper keeper though.
    Still proud of them. They never give up.

Their effort was nearly superhuman. Would have been a lot different but for some bad luck (crossbar etc). Hard luck

Reports tonight(from the guy that first called Dani Alves to PSG) that Alexis & PSG have agreed a deal and that PSG have made an opening offer of £45m to Arsenal.

The same value as Kyle Walker, seems about right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

Reports tonight(from the guy that first called Dani Alves to PSG) that Alexis & PSG have agreed a deal and that PSG have made an opening offer of £45m to Arsenal.

https://twitter.com/parisunited6/status/888137043980767233

Seems Ozil is close to signing a new deal going by reports tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's a tough decision to make. I'd flat out refuse to sell to a premier league team, but if PSG come in I don't know what I'd do. Selling now would guarantee that he wouldn't end up at a rival. £45m is also too low in this market, so obviously we will be looking for more. If the rumours about Neymar signing for PSG than I'd find it difficult to believe that they'd be in for Sanchez too.

I'll just about stomach Sanchez in a PSG jersey, so long as we invest in two quality players to replace him.

It's a tough decision to make. I'd flat out refuse to sell to a premier league team, but if PSG come in I don't know what I'd do. Selling now would guarantee that he wouldn't end up at a rival. £45m is also too low in this market, so obviously we will be looking for more. If the rumours about Neymar signing for PSG than I'd find it difficult to believe that they'd be in for Sanchez too.

I'll just about stomach Sanchez in a PSG jersey, so long as we invest in two quality players to replace him.

https://twitter.com/parisunited6/status/888137570382749697

I guess it depends on who you realistically think you can get in to replace him, there is a case for keeping him if the right player is not available.

The source above says the Neymar deal wouldn't stop the Sanchez signing.

Dodgy translation: "The @PSG working on the file of 2 big players. Arrival of #neymarjr would not block the other folder. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You'd definitely sell him if they offer enough. Keeping a player for one season isn't worth £50m+ and seeing him feck off to City, take the money and get him out of the Premier League.

Interesting. Did ye read this the other day? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/18/arsenal-alexis-sanchez-finances-contract-arsene-wenger

Basically, is 50mn for Sanchez a good deal if it potentially costs us CL qualificaion (worth 40mn) and inflated salaries to new signings for not being in CL.

I think they're right, I'd love to keep him for the year, give the league a real shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Interesting. Did ye read this the other day? https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/18/arsenal-alexis-sanchez-finances-contract-arsene-wenger

Basically, is 50mn for Sanchez a good deal if it potentially costs us CL qualificaion (worth 40mn) and inflated salaries to new signings for not being in CL.

I think they're right, I'd love to keep him for the year, give the league a real shout.

Ideally what Arsenal should be doing is holding onto Sanchez.
    This coming season they should be strengthening and be a major contender for the league (all the way through the season, none of this February blip stuff).
    This should be enough to convince Sanchez to stay and other players wanting to join.

If the above can't be done then Wenger and Arsenal have failed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Draxler and money would be a good deal if Sanchez wants to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

An awful lot can happen in a year in football, if we keep him and he is sulking for a month or two and then we manage to win the EPL and/or heaven knows the CL he could very well end up happier then ever and commit long term. It cant be about money it cant be, chap is earning stupid money, so hopefully if we land Lemar and show great desire he might just stick about.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    An awful lot can happen in a year in football, if we keep him and he is sulking for a month or two and then we manage to win the EPL and/or heaven knows the CL he could very well end up happier then ever and commit long term. It cant be about money it cant be, chap is earning stupid money, so hopefully if we land Lemar and show great desire he might just stick about.

Of course it's about money. These are the prime years of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

No chance of Lemar now I feel. Talk has gone very quiet, Monaco have offloaded a few more players and with the Morata money Real could be back in for Mbappe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Basil3 wrote: »
    Of course it's about money. These are the prime years of his career.

On that basis....why is he not off to china to earn 600/700K a week :rolleyes:

Even if Arsenal did offer him the wages he wants would he deffo stay?! I am not so sure TBH.

He is using the pay as a means to get a move to a club that have a real chance of winning the CL a trophy he has his heart set on (his words not mine)

Arsenal are just not motivated enough for him...too little to late at this stage I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Even if Arsenal did offer him the wages he wants would he deffo stay?! I am not so sure TBH.

He is using the pay as a means to get a move to a club that have a real chance of winning the CL a trophy he has his heart set on (his words not mine)

Arsenal are just not motivated enough for him...too little to late at this stage I reckon.

Bit of a difference between living in China and living in France. Both socially and from a football perspective. No Champions League in China.

I'd really rather he stayed but we would just be kicking the can till next season. And it would be really horrible to see him go to Chelsea, City or United for a free in a year's time.

We would want at least 50 million for him and all of that would want to go into this season's transfer fund. It won't be cheap to replace him. Won't be easy either

I didn't say it is only about money, but of course it's a huge factor.

It's the club's own fault for letting his contract run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The Sanchez one is a weird one, I'm not sure which is better keep him 1 more year or sell too PSG

I think sell

Sell to PSG Id say. Much as Id love him to stay, seeing him move to City or someone like that on a free in 12 months time would be a sickener

• Advertisement

Why do people believe that if Sanchez does go we will actually spend the money? This club is all about money. There's no guarantee we will spend the money.
    We seem to have even missed out on Lemar now too. Any player worth his salt will understand that under Wenger we will continue to stutter around 4th or 5th place and win nothing of note. Sanchez understands this, he's been here long enough, just as did RVP, Clichy, Nasri etc.

Why do people believe that if Sanchez does go we will actually spend the money? This club is all about money. There's no guarantee we will spend the money.
    We seem to have even missed out on Lemar now too. Any player worth his salt will understand that under Wenger we will continue to stutter around 4th or 5th place and win nothing of note. Sanchez understands this, he's been here long enough, just as did RVP, Clichy, Nasri etc.

I'm just saying what would make the sale palatable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ye shouldn't sell until you sign a replacement. Tell him he can't go otherwise.

greendom wrote: »
    I'm just saying what would make the sale palatable to me.

I wasn't really replying to any poster here. Just the fans in general.
    I see this summer in the same light as previous summers, great anticipation but just the bare necessities done by the club and manager.
    After failing to qualify for CL I expected a clear-out and at least 4 quality players, proven game changers, in for the new season. That's if the powers that be intended to change things and go all out to win the EPL but i'm betting it will just be the same as previous years. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The Sanchez one is a weird one, I'm not sure which is better keep him 1 more year or sell too PSG

I think sell

If every avenue is exhausted and he just won't sign then I would sell to PSG.

People saying it's the clubs fault for letting him run this contract down are wrong IMO. I am sure the club tried to tie him down last year and he probably said wait to next year, the option then was wait or sell, so of course we wait.

I would take PSGs money reluctantly but I wouldn't risk not taking it if we know he just won't sign and rocks up at City or Chelsea next season

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I see this summer in the same light as previous summers, great anticipation but just the bare necessities done by the club and manager.
    After failing to qualify for CL I expected a clear-out and at least 4 quality players, proven game changers, in for the new season. That's if the powers that be intended to change things and go all out to win the EPL but i'm betting it will just be the same as previous years. Rinse and repeat.

All the big teams in England are frustrated in the market not just us, we have done similar business to Man U, City and Chelsea. I think we have done more business than Liverpool and Spurs.

The football window has changed so much and it frustrates fans but that's what it is now and teams almost always have to wait until August to close out the final deals

• Advertisement

2 quality players have been brought in. It would be good to get business done early but there are still 40 days left in the transfer window. It's a bit early for the misery just yet imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

greendom wrote: »
    there are still 40 days left in the transfer window.

On a side-note this really annoys me, the transfer window should be closed before the league starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I've a gut feeling Arsenal are resigned to losing Alexis. Wengers comments about making him see out the last year of his contract could be designed to extract as much money from PSG as possible. We all know he said similar things about Cesc, Nasri, RVP though he didn't have much success getting big fee's.

For me it's looking like it's gonna be Alexis Out and Lemar In.

I've a gut feeling Arsenal are resigned to losing Alexis. Wengers comments about making him see out the last year of his contract could be designed to extract as much money from PSG as possible. We all know he said similar things about Cesc, Nasri, RVP though he didn't have much success getting big fee's.

For me it's looking like it's gonna be Alexis Out and Lemar In.

City's latest bid for Mendy was more than Arsenal's last bid for Lemar. I'm not sure the board will go to the £80m Monaco are asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

City's latest bid for Mendy was more than Arsenal's last bid for Lemar. I'm not sure the board will go to the £80m Monaco are asking.

I think they might if they sell Alexis first. Risky.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement