Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I think they might if they sell Alexis first. Risky.

If they managed to bring in Lemar & Goretzka alongside Lacazette whilst flogging Sanchez to PSG & renewing Ozil i'd call it a succesful summer.

More Arsenal's style to just replace Sanchez with Mahrez and leave it at that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    2 quality players have been brought in. It would be good to get business done early but there are still 40 days left in the transfer window. It's a bit early for the misery just yet imo

It's not misery, it's reality.
    We have come to expect exactly what we get.
    There could be 440 days left but things just won't change until there's change at the top.

It's not misery, it's reality.
    We have come to expect exactly what we get.
    There could be 440 days left but things just won't change until there's change at the top.

I suspect we're in for a lot more than 440 days of you wallowing in your reality. :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    I suspect we're in for a lot more than 440 days of you wallowing in your reality. :D

Hope it's not another 12 years like the previous 12 under Wenger:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Surely there is someone at PSG we can use as bait so we are not high and dry.....cash plus player.

Also wonder if there is any fire behind this article....

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10956520/barcelona-midfielder-rafinha-offered-to-arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Few clubs in for wilshere
    Hopefully we get a few bob for him

Sanchez reportedly in Paris sorting out his deal

When they come back with a bigger bid we should enquire about Draxlar

That's exactly how we should deal with these matters.
    If they want our best we should counter by looking for theirs.
    The only problem is ours want out and theirs don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I sincerely doubt that's true. He was tweeting pictures of himself yesterday in Chile and also, the source for the story is extremely unreliable. They also said we had signed Lemar and Mahrez 3 weeks ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Rather walcott to go than the ox TBH ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Matic in return would be decent. Brutal passer but what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Rather walcott to go than the ox TBH ^^

Definitely. That's Arsenal over the years. The players most fans want out get to stay and players we'd like to keep end up leaving. I don't even think it's in Wenger's thinking that he wants to sell Theo.

With my Arsenal hat off, I can't say I blame Ox for wanting to leave. Has Wenger really been good for his development? His stats for completing 90 mins has been poor and Wenger's constant substitutions of him, no run of games and changing of positions has hindered his development over the years.

I always thought this was going to be one of the downsides of Wenger remaining. Normally we read about managers telling players they're not part of their plans, in the case of Sanchez I think it's the other way around. Sanchez doesn't buy into the Wenger project going forward and I see it likewise with Chamberlain. He's looking at his future development at a particular moment when his career is at a crossroads. It's time now for a set position and regular football. I don't think he's developed anywhere near enough under Wenger for a player that has bags of talent and that I'm a big fan of.

Who really can blame Sanchez for leaving? Wenger has bought poorly over the years, Flamini, Debuchy, Gabriel, Perez, Chambers, and I don't think Mustafi has excelled as much either taking into account his poor 2nd half of the season. This along with only signing Cech in 2015 was ridiculous especially with plenty of money to push on and address key areas in the team. What kind of message does that send out to Sanchez about the ambition to succeed?

Players contract going down to a year left on contract like this has been a complete mismanagement on the part of Wenger and Gazidis.

Usually when players want to leave and it's quite clear to me Sanchez doesn't buy into Wenger's methods, presidents and owners of clubs act and get in a manager to get players back on side. Instead we hand out a new contract and leave it up to the manager when he wants to leave.

I'm not optimistic in the slightest going forward. I think we're in for a difficult two years and with the coming season, we will be well off the pace.

I won't miss the ox tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I won't miss the ox tbf.

I wont if we bring in Lemar :D just saying the ox puts more effort into his game than walcott :D

I won't miss the ox tbf.

Yeah don't get the uproar about ox

Average player at best

I think the main fear with the Ox is that we sell him and he suddenly becomes a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ox has potential, he always has. I think under a better manager he might just realise that potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

161 games with 13 goals and 18 assists. Horrendous numbers. He's a squad player, handy to fill a gap when needed and also good for the homegrown rule.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/84146/History/Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If they managed to bring in Lemar & Goretzka alongside Lacazette whilst flogging Sanchez to PSG & renewing Ozil i'd call it a succesful summer.

Yep agree 100%. Goretzka can do everything.

Starting lineup v Chelsea:

Arsenal: Ospina, Maitland-Niles, Mertesacker, Monreal, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Xhaka, Bramall, Ozil, Iwobi, Lacazette.

Back 4 again?
    Is it on the box anywhere??

emmetlego wrote: »
    Back 4 again?
    Is it on the box anywhere??

It's on arsenal player

Just seen that City have confirmed the signing of Mendy. About £100m on 2 fullbacks this window for them. Crazy times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

On ITV as well lads.

Pitch looks shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Anything doing lads? Cant watch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Send bramall back to Bentley

1-0 Chelsea with 5 mins to half time. Willian scored a deserved goal, and have just got a 2nd through Batshui (sp?)

Very poor defensively. Maitland Niles some terrible decisions etc. Very very sloppy at the back.

Have we 3 or 4 at the back?

Have we 3 or 4 at the back?

3 mostly, though it looked like we played a back 4 for periods. 3-0 now. Ball retention is crap and we are so leaky at the back. I enjoyed all the other pre-season games but this has been woeful!

• Advertisement

Maitland Niles, Brammall, Xhaka, Laccazette all off at half time, Elneny, Coq Danny and Giroud on. Look a bit more purposeful this half in fairness.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Maitland Niles, Brammall, Xhaka, Laccazette all off at half time

Xhaka was decent but the other three were woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

We are miles away

wawaman wrote: »
    We are miles away

From what?

I don't see much value in playing mostly a B team in these games.
    It's more to sell jerseys than anything else and give some of our players a run out.
    The real action will start in August.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    From what?

Winning the Champion's League this season.

Holding and Mustafi to come back but with Gabriels injury and Chambers possible departure, I think we could do with another CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

FixitFelix wrote: »
    From what?

From doing anything

I don't see much value in playing mostly a B team in these games.
    It's more to sell jerseys than anything else and give some of our players a run out.
    The real action will start in August.

Most of our first teamers are getting a run, there's very few that aren't. It's a chance for some of the young guys to take their chance and impress. Can't say any really have.

We are woeful at stopping them counter-attacking.

Winning the Champion's League this season.

I thought he meant in a geographical sense

• Advertisement

Most of our first teamers are getting a run, there's very few that aren't. It's a chance for some of the young guys to take their chance and impress. Can't say any really have.

We are woeful at stopping them counter-attacking.

Is this on tv?

Not based on todays game but he is right. We are miles off the title again this season unless we can get some top players in.

Is this on tv?

ITV and Arsenal player. Almost over though

A central midfielder is a must this window i think, a really good one.

A central midfielder is a must this window i think, a really good one.

The starting pair of Ramsey and Xhaka is grand imo. After that is terrible though.

Elneny - Average
    Coquelin - Rubbish
    Santi - Crock
    Wilshere - Crock
    Chamberlain - Better at RWB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lacazette and Kolasinac are a start. If Sanchez goes, we're back to square (minus) 1. No winger we can buy will be better. Not sure if we absolutely need a centre half, Mustafi-Koscielny-Monreal and Mertesacker-Gabriel-Holding should be enough. I'd like a midfielder too and maybe another RWB option, especially if Ox goes.

Elneny has been playing as a central defender this pre season though. More out of necessity I know, but Wenger has done this before!

The starting pair of Ramsey and Xhaka is grand imo. After that is terrible though.

Elneny - Average
    Coquelin - Rubbish
    Santi - Crock
    Wilshere - Crock
    Chamberlain - Better at RWB

It's alright yeah, it could be a lot better. Add in Ramsey's injury record and Xhaka's card record and you're looking at a lot of playing time for Coquelin next season.

Lacazette and Kolasinac are a start. If Sanchez goes, we're back to square (minus) 1. No winger we can buy will be better. Not sure if we absolutely need a centre half, Mustafi-Koscielny-Monreal and Mertesacker-Gabriel-Holding should be enough. I'd like a midfielder too and maybe another RWB option, especially if Ox goes.
    Mert in last year and Kos injury prone. I'd buy Van Dike who is big and much more commanding than what we have imo.
    We do need midfielders as Santi and Wilshere are finished it seems and Ox wants out. Sanchez we just can't afford to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The passion and the communication from Conte is amazing, even winning 3-0 in a pre season he was constantly barking and applauding.

We need a creative mid so bad its not even funny stop all the ****e balls out to the wings for players who, lets face it are terrible crosser's of the ball and for striker(s) that are weak in the air due to height or whatever bar Olly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement