Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »
    Liverpool in their glory days?

You could be right as it was in black & white.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I've plenty of plastic flags around here somewhere anyway, so ye're all welcome.

:pac:

To go with your plastic fans :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's gotten spicy in here. Can't wait for proper football to be back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    In case people are looking to watch the Emirates Cup this weekend the games are on Quest tv station, no clue how they got the rights :P

http://www.questtv.co.uk/tv-listings/

Discovery own Eurosport and they did show some pre-season before. If I remember right, I think a similar tournament in Schalke's ground. West Ham might have played in.

Eurosport are showing our games later that night over the next two days. Their live schedule is full up on their two channels so it goes on Quest then. For instance with the Giro in May with Eurosport showing it, Quest had highlights that night of each stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Who is this Nelson lad? Looks quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Walcott:
    New hairstyle
    Same ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Walcott:
    New hairstyle
    Same ****e

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Walcott:
    New hairstyle
    Same ****e

It worked:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Seriously determined play there by the new lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Some turn by Giroud there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

So we go into august with only player bought is a player giroud keeps out of french team.

Long season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Whats our current best team at the minute?

Cech

Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Koscielny
    Monreal
    Kolasinac

Xhaka
    Ramsey

Ozil
    Alexis

Giroud

Some will put Lacazette in but not much of an improvement on last years team either way. Still need a CB and a CM. Lemar would be a bonus.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd have Lacazette ahead of Ollie for the simple reason I think he suits the team better.

I dont think we need to sign a defender but a cm would be good as we are a bit thin there and Ramsey is injury prone.

Lemar would be nice but not a necessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Can we wait until he actually doesn't show up? That's tabloid levels of ****

Off sick now until Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just watched todays game.

Three things, I'll be SICK if we sell Giroud - is there a better man to come off the bench?? This Rhys-Nelson lad looks pure class and mature, Iwobi has a HUGE season ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sanchez back to Arsenal on Tuesday according to Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pacifico wrote: »
    Some turn by Giroud there

We bought two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Good strength and run from Ox to set that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ox has been our best player. Pleased he got the assist for Lacazette's first goal at the Emirates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nzonzi took that very well but he had so much time to tee it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jester77 wrote: »
    Good strength and run from Ox to set that up

All about the welbeck assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Wenger out

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wenger out

Not sure if this is an attempt at humour, but I've seen nothing in pre-season to suggest we will be any stronger next year than we were last.

Just getting in there first. We're in for a long season i feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Just watched todays game.

Three things, I'll be SICK if we sell Giroud - is there a better man to come off the bench?? This Rhys-Nelson lad looks pure class and mature, Iwobi has a HUGE season ahead of him.

If we keep Giroud we are looking good up top.

Iwobi is a talent but still needs to be eased into the side across the season. With rotation to keep him fresh he'll be very effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

We are so easy to beat on the counter attack. Not strong enough in central midfield. I like Xhaka but he has the pace of a snail and for all Ramsey's prowess going forward he's too powderpuff when we haven't got the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I've been browsing twitter this morning and apparently Kroenke has launched a hunting channel. He's getting a lot of heat for it and the papers making the most of the opportunity to use Arsenals name in the story and the front pages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I've been browsing twitter this morning and apparently Kroenke has launched a hunting channel. He's getting a lot of heat for it and the papers making the most of the opportunity to use Arsenals name in the story and the front pages etc.

Not just a hunting channel. How to shoot and kill elephants and lions etc. That makes him a proper c*** in my eyes!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Not just a hunting channel. How to shoot and kill elephants and lions etc. That makes him a proper c*** in my eyes!

Yeah I fully agree, it's just a shame that all the articles about it, have to Mention "Arsenal owner Kroenke" .

Yeah I fully agree, it's just a shame that all the articles about it, have to Mention "Arsenal owner Kroenke" .

Well if he is into this hunting it might explain why he has a lack of engagement with the football club - he probable thought 'The gunners' was a fox n hound club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

After reading about this hunting channel I'm thinking of requesting a refund for my red membership for this season from Arsenal. It would anger me so much to think of putting one cent in that slimeballs pocket. I really hope the fans at the stadium make some sort of protest against it. Like it or not this is what our club is tied to now :'(

After reading about this hunting channel I'm thinking of requesting a refund for my red membership for this season from Arsenal. It would anger me so much to think of putting one cent in that slimeballs pocket. I really hope the fans at the stadium make some sort of protest against it. Like it or not this is what our club is tied to now :'(

Why? It's a football club. If he is paying the wages and providing money for transfers etc I don't think as a supporter it has any relevance what his invested interests are.

To anyone reading in the UK that is what he is. If he wasn't the Arsenal owner the story wouldn't be news over here at all.

Still undecided whether I should be outraged or not. Will wait for a few more opinions and go with the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

30% of our club is owned by someone much more morally dubious. But you wouldn't rescind your membership for that?

They're all greedy, cruel b'stards. Look what they've put us through for the last 13 years. Just look !!. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

UTD snapping up Matic is another super signing, they are looking very good for the title. Pogba has had a year to settle in and I reckon will be alot better this season, Midfield was a weak spot for them but I feel Matic will do very well.

No 5 or 6 stupid lowball bids for him just went out and done the deal out of the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    UTD snapping up Matic is another super signing, they are looking very good for the title. Pogba has had a year to settle in and I reckon will be alot better this season, Midfield was a weak spot for them but I feel Matic will do very well.

No 5 or 6 stupid lowball bids for him just went out and done the deal out of the public eye.

This is what Mou thought of him last time he managed him

http://dailym.ai/1ObaGH7

United. Transfer kings.

Dont know about kings, but very efficient. Would have been a nice fit at Arsenal TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

but very efficient. Would have been a nice fit at Arsenal TBH.

Yep, looks to me like Jose is building a strong team. He's got this knack of strengthening his team year on year. It's quite annoying.

Everybody said that about them last season too, that they were good for the title and yet they finished 6th. So I'm not going to be crowning them champions just yet.

It's looking like it will be more of the same for us though sadly. I'm assuming that players will have to leave before more come in, due to the sheer numbers in our squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

If you ask me, Pep is the one building the great team.

Dont know about kings, but very efficient. Would have been a nice fit at Arsenal TBH.

I dunno. It's about as easy as a transfer gets. A player who has been in decline the last couple of seasons and is clearly no longer wanted by Chelsea, with United willing to stump up £40m, in the hope he will discover his form of a few years ago. Chelsea really are the ones who are nailing transfers lately, the money they get for players going out is impressive.

To sum up how poor he has been, he was statistically worse than Coq last season in many defensive aspects. I can see why United want him, though. Pogba will be allowed to come forward a lot more, in the same way that Ramsey being allowed to go forward more for us has greatly improved our attacking play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

emmetlego wrote: »
    If you ask me, Pep is the one building the great team.

Stick Stevie Wonder in charge of the Manchester clubs with their unlimited funds and he would build you a great team

In fairness Jose M has spent like there is no tomorrow at EVERY club he has taken over since Porto, so its alot easier to get results. But even with the bad season they had last year by UTD standard they still won alot of silverware.

Even if you have a policy of not spending (like Arsenal for years) that mentality is null and void if everyone around you is spending big and strengthening the team. There is a reason why we find ourselves really struggling and its taken far too long for us as a club to adapt.

Off topic but I see Arsenal wishing Kanu a happy 41st birthday today on twitter. If you are to believe the rumours on the internet, he is supposedly 50+. I can't seem to remember but was it a strange decision not to hold onto him in 2004? Considering he was part of the invincibles squad, he left for West Brom who were only up from the championship.
    The age thing is an interesting topic, I was googling Kanu and Obafemi Martins popped up, apparently, he's only 32 which also seems a bit bogus

In fairness Jose M has spent like there is no tomorrow at EVERY club he has taken over since Porto, so its alot easier to get results. But even with the bad season they had last year by UTD standard they still won alot of silverware.

Even if you have a policy of not spending (like Arsenal for years) that mentality is null and void if everyone around you is spending big and strengthening the team. There is a reason why we find ourselves really struggling and its taken far too long for us as a club to adapt.

Do you realise there was a reason why we weren't spending, and since the 'financial shackles' were removed, we started spending? It's nothing to do with adapting.

Spurs look to be going through a phase that we did 10 years ago as their new stadium is built. They have a decent squad they need to keep together, but sooner or later they'll have to start paying their players the big bucks, or they'll be off.

It's not all about spending big, it's about who you buy.
    You can buy great players who are unknown if you can see where they will fit into the team and improve over time. Who knew about Kane and Ali a few years ago? Also United's famous team that spawned the phrase "you will win nothing with kids". Kane and Ali were just promising players yet now they are the mainstay of the team. It's not just luck either. I think we have a few of those coming through too, however we also need to buy established and experienced players while we're waiting for that to happen or we will be left behind by the teams around and ahead of us.
    You still have to spend big to even stay in fifth it seems yet I don't believe that with the two players we have bought we will improve sufficiently.
    I think we need a CB (Van Dijke)and a central midfield player along with Lemar, so that's three more. We'll hardly do that much business.

• Advertisement

Wonder if the club has any interest in Van Dijk? think he's fit right in. I haven't seen anyone really linked with him bar Liverpool

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement