Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Alexis back in training. I think he loves kicking a football too much to even think about going on strike !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with adapting.
    f.

I disagree, Wenger always had a nurturing miser mentality. He would rather get a rough diamond and mould them into a great player rather then spend the money. Which is brilliant philosophy if no one else is spending huge sums strengthening teams around us.

If Wenger did go any new manager would have asked for a huge warchest, so even if we did spend 200m this sumer we would get 50m back from sales of deadwood so hardly bankrupt the club territory.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wonder if the club has any interest in Van Dijk? think he's fit right in. I haven't seen anyone really linked with him bar Liverpool

Quoted price of 55-60m for him....we wont pay that for Lemar never mind a CB.

Alexis wants to play on Sunday and a supposedly reliable Chilean source says that Alexis will be with us this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Better than any signing if true. Although, sign a midfielder please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Am I the only person thinking that if he's not signing I want him sold to PSG?

Couldn't face him going to City for free next year

Quazzie wrote: »

i'm torn but on balance I'd like to see him playing for another season.

anyway who knows, he puts do much onto every game and training session that he maybe on the decline in a year's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

It's upto Wenger and Arsenal to get the results to convince him to stay next season.

If Arsenal have another poor season I can't blame him for wanting to leave.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would hope he does what a few other players in similar situations have done (Suarez, Ronaldo, I think maybe Cesc too?)and sign a new contract with the expectation he will be sold next summer.

Neymar gets permission to leave Barca in £200m deal. Imagine being able to pick up Sanchez for a free next year. Boggles the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Neymar is in a long term contract, hence the size of the value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Neymar gets permission to leave Barca in £200m deal.

Mental money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Sky sources understand Arsenal remain interested in Monaco winger Thomas lemar despite the Ligue 1 club saying he's not for sale.

The Gunners have had bids of £30m and £40m rejected with Monaco reportedly wanting £50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was of the opinion that he was not going this season. He never asked to leave.
    If he was going to ask to leave and go to City then the damage limitation would be us getting Aguero plus a bit of cash to put to the Lemar signing.
    Even with Lacazzette I wouldn't turn down Aguero. There will be plenty of games for all our strikers.

I really don't believe we can challenge without a few more big signings anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I don't see Sanchez going to PSG now that they appear to be getting Neymar. So that probably leaves (based on nothing but paper talk) only Man City in the race. I fully expect Sanchez to see out his contract now, he has all the power.

It probably doesn't benefit him renewing with Arsenal as he knows that he would be effectively priced out of a move away from Arsenal in the future, due to the ridiculous transfer fees.

I don't see Sanchez going to PSG now that they appear to be getting Neymar. So that probably leaves (based on nothing but paper talk) only Man City in the race. I fully expect Sanchez to see out his contract now, he has all the power.

It probably doesn't benefit him renewing with Arsenal as he knows that he would be effectively priced out of a move away from Arsenal in the future, due to the ridiculous transfer fees.

he could have a release clause in the contract effective from next Summer - 60 - 70 million perhaps

Emi Martinez has been sent on loan to Getafe for the season. Hopefully he gets some meaningful game time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Emi Martinez has been sent on loan to Getafe for the season. Hopefully he gets some meaningful game time there.

Would hope so. He has very few caps for a player of his age

The following players are out of contract in less than 12 months time.
    Ozil,
    Sanchez,
    Jack Wilshere,
    Alex Oxlade Chamberlain,
    Santi Cazorla,
    Joel Campbell,
    Kieran Gibbs,
    Carl Jenkinson,
    Matt Macey.

That's 3 of our best starting XI.

How is this continuously allowed to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Quazzie wrote:

Because wenger wanted full control over contracts after Dean left the club.

It's not wengers fault but contracts are not done as fast as he imagined and when you spend so long getting teams ready for games there is very little time left to manage contracts.

He is staying but he badly needs help on the non football side of things. I don't understand why ye are not getting his protege signed up already to work with him. Even as an assistant for now.

• Advertisement

Id imagine alot of it is down to saving as much money as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Ironically enough in the majority of cases it because the terms we offered the last time around were both too generous and for too long a term. The only reason we still have Gibbs, Wilshere, Jenkinson, Debuchy and Cambpell on the books is that they were on way too much money in the first place and we can't shift them.

The exceptions are Sanchez (money), Ozil (money), Chamberlain (playing time) and Cazorla (injured), who ironically enough are the only ones you want to keep any way. And in those cases the club have long had offers on the table with no response from the players' side.

Situations like Chamberlain and Cazorla are unfortunate but happen a lot, and Sanchez and Ozil you can't really do much more than the club have all ready done. They were offered roughly what they wanted initially until their heads were turned by the silly money coming from Asia.

Players have the power these days. If they choose not to renew their contract and let the current one run down there is little the club can do to stop them.

Let's not forget that we benefitted from this too with the signing of Kolasinac

greendom wrote: »
    Players have the power these days. If they choose not to renew their contract and let the current one run down there is little the club can do to stop them.

Let's not forget that we benefitted from this too with the signing of Kolasinac
    When is the last time you heard of 3 of the starting XI at any other club in the world being allowed run down their contract to nothing?

This "players have the power" bull is a Wengerism if ever I heard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

When is the last time you heard of 3 of the starting XI at any other club in the world being allowed run down their contract to nothing?

This "players have the power" bull is a Wengerism if ever I heard one.

Sanchez, özil and who?

Sanchez, özil and who?
    Cazorla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Cazorla

its not 2014 anymore

wawaman wrote: »
    its not 2014 anymore
    When he got injured we went to shít. A fit Cazorla walks back into this team. Who is going to keep him out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

wawaman wrote: »
    its not 2014 anymore

Yep, they took up the 12 month option on Cazorla when he was out with another long term injury. If they'd offered him 3-4 years this place would be full of people complaining about it.

When he got injured we went to shít. A fit Cazorla walks back into this team. Who is going to keep him out of it

It's all theoretical.

I don't think he really fits into our team anymore anyway. Would he play instead of Xhaka? Ramsey?

It's all theoretical.

I don't think he really fits into our team anymore anyway. Would he play instead of Xhaka? Ramsey?
    If he doesn't fit it into our system any more it's because we've had to change it to accommodate his absence, and we've been the poorer for it.

A fit Cazorla, absolutely gets into the starting XI ahead of Ramsey and Xhaka.

Agree 100%, a fit Corzola would walk into any team in the PL. We really do miss him.....and badly need a creative mid in his absence.

If he doesn't fit it into our system any more it's because we've had to change it to accommodate his absence, and we've been the poorer for it.

A fit Cazorla, absolutely gets into the starting XI ahead of Ramsey and Xhaka.

I don't think he can play the role that Xhaka or Ramsey do as well as they can, and he's not a good enough player to build a formation around....even if he does make the 'team tick' or however you want to put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've not really been paying attention all summer, the off season winds me up to no end, it's literally 99% bullshït you'd read. All conjecture. But how long is Cazorla supposedly out for?

• Advertisement

I've not really been paying attention all summer, the off season winds me up to no end, it's literally 99% bullshït you'd read. All conjecture. But how long is Cazorla supposedly out for?

Depending on what you read it's somewhere between Back By October - Career is Over.

Depending on what you read it's somewhere between Back By October - Career is Over.
    He's 33 in December. We need one for the future now.
    Santi was a great player in his day.

He's 33 in December. We need one for the future now.
    Santi was a great player in his day.

We need one for right now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

God no, if he's back in oct or even Christmas what a player to have at our disposal! I can't see any reason why he can't play on beyond this year? 33 or not, doesn't exactly rely on pace, he's exactly the type of player who can go on and on. A fit cazorla gets in the arsenal team every single time.

God no, if he's back in oct or even Christmas what a player to have at our disposal! I can't see any reason why he can't play on beyond this year? 33 or not, doesn't exactly rely on pace, he's exactly the type of player who can go on and on. A fit cazorla gets in the arsenal team every single time.

I'm not saying get rid of him, he's a wonderful player and can still play a part this season and further beyond.

But he can't be relied upon, and the team can't be in a situation where the midfield doesn't function when he's not fit like the past 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I see Leicester have signed Iheanacho from City for about 25 million. Kind of an odd move, I thought he was destined for bigger things. Still only 20 though

wonga77 wrote: »
    I see Leicester have signed Iheanacho from City for about 25 million. Kind of an odd move, I thought he was destined for bigger things. Still only 20 though

That's a shrewd bit of business. He's a good player and will get better imo.

Lyon winger Ghezzal is wanted by Monaco. If that goes ahead the Lemar deal could well happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

That's a shrewd bit of business. He's a good player and will get better imo.

Looks like Leicester have plenty of options upfront but he's a good signing.

A week until our first match.
    Anyone feel we are strong enough now to be contenders for the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I havent written much here lately but this gave me a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Have a real gut feeling that Sunday's match could be a farewell for Sanchez, I see Monaco are now sniffing around which could well leverage a deal for Lemar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I agree, more of a swan song feeling...mind you if Monaco offer a high enough wage it's a possible. He seems cash motivated. He's apparently putting in extra training to secure his place on Sunday and maybe I'm totally wrong, as I say just a gut feeling.

I'm going into this season with little expectations, it's the least optimistic I've been about Arsenal heading into a season for years. I really don't see us challenging for the title. I hope I'm wrong, but will depend on the ins and outs over the next month transfer wise. We need a central midfielder at least, as Xhaka and Ramsey especially can't be counted to play every game. Wilshere could be a surprise dark horse, but another capable body is needed there.
    Have a real gut feeling that Sunday's match could be a farewell for Sanchez, I see Monaco are now sniffing around which could well leverage a deal for Lemar.

I really don't see Sanchez going to Monaco, it's still a step down from Arsenal, regardless of champions league performances over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

ah here!

I just don't trust our midfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement