Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not really too arsed about the Charity Shield but happy to win it , Thought Ox, Wally and Welbeck were all very poor today , Bellerin not much better

The red card was ridiculous though yellow at best , Kolasnic was great nice to have a monster back in the team :) , The laca shot that hit the post was very Henryesque was very excited by the thoughts of him going forward this season when Mo and Alexis come into the team

Couldn't disagree more regarding the red card. It was reckless and cynical with zero chance or effort to get the ball. Could've just as easily lead to a broken leg. I called it as a red card the second I seen it, and was delighted to see the ref get the call right for a change. There was no need for a tackle so vicious at that stage of the game in that area of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We still need prob one more signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Jesus it's one of the clearest reds I've ever seen. No intention of getting the ball whatsoever, it wasn't even a late tackle, it was just a horrible one full stop. Having said that in real time I thought it was a foul but nothing malicious, with every viewing since I was clearly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

emmetlego wrote: »
    I know he got MOTM, I wouldn't have given it to him personally, maybe Kolasinac, but apparently Xhaka had 98 passes and a completion rate of %100. That's impressive! Really like the look of our 2 new signings. Iwobi is oozing class, big year from him looms and Reiss Nelson has bags of potential too. 

Enjoying today for what it is, silverware (of sorts) and beating Chelsea on Spurs home ground! :-)

He really isn't
    I just want to say.

That courtois penalty.

Lol.

I agree, I really enjoyed it. I think there's a closet gunner in the crowd too :D

424433.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One of my favourite players, Bellerin, is really worrying me at the moment. He has been bombing up the field as usual but has been guilty of giving the ball away quite a lot. I'm not happy with his form but i'm sure when the important games begin he will settle down and become his usual self.
    Now if Debuchy goes and I believe he is one of the players Wenger is trying to off-load then who fills in for Bellerin if he's injured seeing that Gabriel is also injured? Anyway Gabriel wouldn't be able to do the same job as Hector does as he's not as mobile. Does Lemar play on the right if we get him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

One of my favourite players, Bellerin, is really worrying me at the moment. He has been bombing up the field as usual but has been guilty of giving the ball away quite a lot. I'm not happy with his form but i'm sure when the important games begin he will settle down and become his usual self.
    Now if Debuchy goes and I believe he is one of the players Wenger is trying to off-load then who fills in for Bellerin if he's injured seeing that Gabriel is also injured? Anyway Gabriel wouldn't be able to do the same job as Hector does as he's not as mobile. Does Lemar play on the right if we get him?

The ox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I think Ox did ok on the right wing last season, I'm not sure he is happy playing there but he did well. He also filled in on the left yesterday, he was poor on that side but thats because he had to keep cutting back onto his right foot.

I think the 3 at the back suits Bellerin more anyways, he can go forward and not have to worry as much about getting back all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I think Ox did ok on the right wing last season, I'm not sure he is happy playing there but he did well. He also filled in on the left yesterday, he was poor on that side but thats because he had to keep cutting back onto his right foot.

I think the 3 at the back suits Bellerin more anyways, he can go forward and not have to worry as much about getting back all the time.

Chamberlain was actually firing a good few decent crosses into the box with his left foot yesterday but we'd nobody capable of getting on the end of them until Giroud came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I think the most encouraging things for me yesterday was watching the new Oleg Luhnzy - Kolasinac. Chap looks like a bit of a beast and it will be great to watch him play this season, looked to take the game to the opposition and didn't back down from any of the physical challenges.

Also i was pleased with Lacazzettes play. I'd constantly being hearing he was just a finisher but his willingness to try link up play was something i wasn't expecting. Hoping he can get off to a flier against Leicester as we've a couple of tough games from the start of the season.

Good fight back over all, Elneny and Xhaka also deserve praise both covered their ground and had important parts to play too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I think the most encouraging things for me yesterday was watching the new Oleg Luhnzy - Kolasinac. Chap looks like a bit of a beast and it will be great to watch him play this season, looked to take the game to the opposition and didn't back down from any of the physical challenges.

I'd be hoping for a bit more than a Luzhny in Kolašinac to be honest. Yeah, he won an FA Cup and a Premier League but he only played 110 games in 4 seasons. Kolašinac Has already scored more goals than him too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

With a back 3 on the pitch I think Ox is quite a bit ahead of Bellerin at RWB for me. Kolasinic looks very good for LWB. Thought Iwobi and Xhaka were very very good yesterday. Can see Iwobi being Ozil's rotation option and Welbeck/Walcott coming in for Sanchez in this formation. A partner for Xhaka in midfield is needed though. Quietly optimistic about the team.

Paul Merson tipping Arsenal to come 6th in the EPL and City to win the title.
    If we don't strengthen considerably i'd be inclined to agree with him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15205/10973956/paul-mersons-season-predictions-man-city-for-the-title-arsenal-to-miss-out-on-top-four

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15205/10973956/paul-mersons-season-predictions-man-city-for-the-title-arsenal-to-miss-out-on-top-four

He's assuming that we lose Sanchez. What does 'strengthen considerably' mean? There's no chance we are bringing in more than one or two more players. We will be losing several as well.

Basil3 wrote: »
    He's assuming that we lose Sanchez. What does 'strengthen considerably' mean? There's no chance we are bringing in more than one or two more players. We will be losing several as well.

We need a midfielder and a CB imo even if we get Lemar.

How many years have people been putting Arsenal out of top 4? And it's happened once.

I think we'll be fine.

How many years have people been putting Arsenal out of top 4? And it's happened once.

I think we'll be fine.
    Who do you think will make up the Top four?
    I'm not a Top 4 man myself, i'd prefer to win the thing.

We need a midfielder and a CB imo even if we get Lemar.

I think if Caz is definitely out for a good chunk of the season, we will bring in a midfielder. If we are to bring in a CB, then which of our many current ones will be shipped out? Can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think if we manage to stay injury free we could challenge. I think a key contribution to success this season relies on how Wenger alters tactics / playing styles throughout the season. I think a rotation of Lacazette with more pacier and quick footed players to a combination of him and Giroud/ switching Lacazette with Giroud off the bencg might see us surprise pundits and spectators alike.

I think if Caz is definitely out for a good chunk of the season, we will bring in a midfielder. If we are to bring in a CB, then which of our many current ones will be shipped out? Can't see it.

Can't see Cazorla being the same player he was. He's nearing the end of his career.
    I was not satisfied with our CB's last season or for a good many seasons tbh. We leak too many goals and we are not dominant in the air. We need cover anyway for injuries and who knows we might revert back to a back 4 at some stage too. Mert is in his last season too and is prone to injury as is Kos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Can't see Cazorla being the same player he was. He's nearing the end of his career.
    I was not satisfied with our CB's last season or for a good many seasons tbh. We leak too many goals and we are not dominant in the air. We need cover anyway for injuries and who knows we might revert back to a back 4 at some stage too. Mert is in his last season too and is prone to injury as is Kos.

I'm hopeful Kos won't be as injury prone this coming season when he's not asked to play almost every game in the league & Europe. I'd not play him in Europe til after Christmas.

We've seen the likes of Henry & Fabregas have constant muscle injuries at Arsenal due to having been overplayed season after season, hopefully Kos will be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

According to SSN, Arsenal will have to sell players before more players come in. "At present we have 33 senior players which is detrimental to the squad as there is too much competition for players" according to Wenger.

Only problem is no one wants to buy the players we are selling and the ones there is little interest in we are hiking the price up.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    According to SSN, Arsenal will have to sell players before more players come in. "At present we have 33 senior players which is detrimental to the squad as there is too much competition for players" according to Wenger.

Only problem is no one wants to buy the players we are selling and the ones there is little interest in we are hiking the price up.

The Ox like a comment on Instagram last night saying he's going to Liverpool for £28m, so at least we have that coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

The Ox like a comment on Instagram last night saying he's going to Liverpool for £28m, so at least we have that coming in.

Absolutely no loss, people talk about how he goes past players, but in all honestly after he does that his final decision is usually terrible or he can't pick a pass, it's a proper Liverpool signing. Hopefully a double swoop for him and Walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

When do we find out who we're playing in the shaggin Europa League?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    When do we find out who we're playing in the shaggin Europa League?

Not for another few weeks. 25th August i believe.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/894857708955893760

6 years today. A return of 1 goal every 10 appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

greendom wrote: »

Must have his eye on some amazing 17 yr old french kid so.....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Would love to see us go all out and sign Van Djik can't see it happening though. With the two new signings and if we hold onto Sanchez and Ozil I still think we will miss out on top 4 the way rivals are spending, interesting to see will this clear out take place at all perez is probably the only one I'd guarantee is gone.
    Elneny and Xhaka were impressive against Chelsea we really need them to keep up that form especially if we're not bringing in a holding midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

With the two new signings and if we hold onto Sanchez and Ozil I still think we will miss out on top 4 the way rivals are spending.

Cant say i agree with this. Spurs havent spent a penny and have the Wembley factor to worry about. Liverpool wont be that much better and will be worse if Coutinho goes and have the CL. We have the "luxury" of the Europa League and the ability to rest players that will give. Im not saying we couldnt be better but very early to right us out of the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/894857708955893760

6 years today. A return of 1 goal every 10 appearances.

To be very fair those stats are highly misleading, he made 29 appearances last season which sounds alot but only played 1563 minutes which is only about 54 mins a game on average. Sure for a few years he was only being brought on for the last 15 minutes so id doubt his mins per game ratio is very high.

wawaman wrote: »
    Cant say i agree with this. Spurs havent spent a penny and have the Wembley factor to worry about. Liverpool wont be that much better and will be worse if Coutinho goes and have the CL. We have the "luxury" of the Europa League and the ability to rest players that will give. Im not saying we couldnt be better but very early to right us out of the top 4

And Chelsea have spent but they've also lost 2 lynchpin players from last season.

City and United are the only rivals that have really strengthened more than us imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Sanchez out injured for 2 weeks, Ozil, Ramsey, Kos, Mustafi not available this weekend... GREAT!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Boo-urns. Should still have the beating of Leicester though, not that that means anything when you look at the opening day results over the last 7 years or so.

• Advertisement

So the Sanchez strike continues!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Football tomorrow night!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Sanchez out injured for 2 weeks, Ozil, Ramsey, Kos, Mustafi not available this weekend... GREAT!!!

Yeah it's typical, going into the first match with a severely depleted squad. Have a bad feeling going into the Leicester game. Would be nice to actually start off with a win on the opening day for once. At least it's not Liverpool like it was last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

At least it's not Liverpool like it was last season.

Ya that kinda set the tone for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

You dont want to risk injuring your most saleable asset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Just aswell we have this massive squad............Absolute f*cking joke.
    Same every season.

Does Koscielny miss the start of every season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I watched the press conference and to say Wenger stumbled through answering questions about Sanchez is an understatement! He was asked about him signing an extension and he just mumbled and stuttered and said maybe!

Quazzie wrote: »
    Does Koscielny miss the start of every season?

I think he knew he wouldn't get an extra holiday through playing over the summer, which is why he got himself red carded at the end of last season.

Nine players in the injury room and the season hasn't even began as yet.
    Typical BUT we should still beat Leicester.

Anyone see any hints of new signings?

Nine players in the injury room and the season hasn't even began as yet.
    Typical BUT we should still beat Leicester.

Anyone see any hints of new signings?
    I think from here on in, it's about getting rid of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I watched the press conference and to say Wenger stumbled through answering questions about Sanchez is an understatement! He was asked about him signing an extension and he just mumbled and stuttered and said maybe!

Yeah i actually had begun to wonder if they were actually being serious about keeping him, but i think that 'injury' definitely means he's off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

F*ck him. If he wants to leave he can p*ss off.

Maybe it's just an injury.. .

Yeah i actually had begun to wonder if they were actually being serious about keeping him, but i think that 'injury' definitely means he's off.

Ornstein, the supposed oracle, has said that the injury is genuine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement