Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

greendom wrote: »
    Ornstein, the supposed oracle, has said that the injury is genuine.

Wenger with a sledgehammer making sure he can't leave or pass any medicals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

farna_boy wrote: »
    Wenger with a sledgehammer making sure he can't leave or pass any medicals

Yep, sure who would sign an injured player?

Kim-Kallstrom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's a big few weeks off the field for the club, before August 31st. The futures of Ozil, Sanchez, Oxlade Chamberlain and Ramsey have to be resolved before then. I don't actually believe that the board will allow any of these players to leave on a free next season, regardless of what Wenger says or wants. They will either sign new deals or be sold I think.

It will be detrimental to the teams season having four regular members of the team with their futures up in the air. Kinda like how Wengers future apparently effected the team last season (he said so himself recently). It's a mess that needs to be sorted soon. The squad has major talent and could do things this season.

It's just difficult to be too optimistic as it stands, when we don't know if four key players will even be here after August 31st. We won't be getting anyone else in either, until a few players (deadwood) get shipped out.

Good chance we will have Ozil and/or Ramsey tomorrow

https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/895639389971169281

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Really looking forward to tommorow night and seeing more of Kolasinic and Laccazette. Think it could be a good year for Xhaka we really need him to continue his form.
    I see Chelsea made an improved bid for Ox hard one to get the head around really all the big teams are in for him so I'd be reluctant to let him go, you could just see him turning into a different player if he left which is the annoying thing, really hope he's played at rwb instead of Bellerin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

For the first time in ages, I'm heading to the match tomorrow. Looking forward to it now, but they're saying to get there super early because of all the new security checks. I hate that this is now a fact of life here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger's spending since taking over at Arsenal in 1996 = £687.4M
    Mourinho spending since taking over at United in 2016 = £349.7M

That's crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quazzie wrote: »

That's crazy.

Got a source for that?

Chequebook management at it's finest.

Football tomorrow!!!

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

That's crazy.

Sure if PSG manage to get Mbappe, they'll be close to the money Mourinho has spent, but within 7 days! Ridiculous, nobody in the world can compete with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Got a source for that?

Chequebook management at it's finest.

Source for Wenger spending
    Source for Mourinho spending

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised that the Wenger figure is a year old

Football tomorrow!!!

I don't want it back. Been waiting for it for what seems like forever, but Jesus, if we lose before anyone else even plays...

Ah, for f*ck sake, we'll be alright today, won't we? Please?

Come on Arsenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I hate the opening day, especially when we're at home. Would be nice to be prepared for once.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Win, lose or draw I'm just glad the football's back. Feels strange to have it on a Friday evening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

https://youtu.be/eqf-6sHvvnw

Per and Arsene quick fire questions!

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/eqf-6sHvvnw

Per and Arsene quick fire questions!

Watched it last night, very funny. Cracked up every time Arsene said "oh yeah?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

We so need to start off with a good win, its like the old saying:-

"You cant win the league in the first 4 games, but you sure as hell can lose it"

I am heading out to watch it, but I am so nervous we get done over or end up with a score draw!!!!

COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

keano_afc wrote: »
    I hate the opening day, especially when we're at home. Would be nice to be prepared for once.

we looked in reasonable shape on Sunday. Tonight will be the acid test though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I've enjoyed the pre-season friendly stuff and silly little tournaments but its hard to put any stock in them.....none of the players are truly putting the effort in. You can't rely on them as a litmus for anything.

This is real football. And I'm bloody delighted its back. Going to binge on all the games this weekend. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

we looked in reasonable shape on Sunday. Tonight will be the acid test though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Between the litmus and acid tests.....I'm hoping everyone is wearing protective goggles!

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The bull**** friendlies are over.
    Now for the real stuff.
    Time for lads to stand up and be counted. They are all experienced players now.

I'm finding it quite hilarious that every "expert" (and Michael Owen) have us down to be even worse this season. I'm absolutely convinced we'll be back in the top four, not close to winning the league, but certainly back in the Champions League.

I'm finding it quite hilarious that every "expert" (and Michael Owen) have us down to be even worse this season. I'm absolutely convinced we'll be back in the top four, not close to winning the league, but certainly back in the Champions League.

Yeah I think we will get back into the top 4, but I'm not as certain about it as previous years. We should be competing for the title though and that should be the aim this season. Otherwise why would Wenger have stayed on? (apart from the money).

The bull**** friendlies are over.
    Now for the real stuff.
    Time for lads to stand up and be counted. They are all experienced players now.

I'll be surprised if we make Top 4 to be honest.
    Our defence was terrible last season and one new player won't fix it.

I know we improved when we went to 3 at the back but will that last?
    I can see teams pushing up on us and unsettling them.
    We also have 9 players out injured before a ball is kicked in anger.

Hopefully i'm entirely wrong and our performances improve.
    Edit.

Sorry meant to quote Keanos post. My nerves at at me.

I'll be surprised if we make Top 4 to be honest.
    Our defence was terrible last season and one new player won't fix it.

I know we improved when we went to 3 at the back but will that last?
    I can see teams pushing up on us and unsettling them.
    We also have 9 players out injured before a ball is kicked in anger.

Hopefully i'm entirely wrong and our performances improve.
    Edit.

Sorry meant to quote Keanos post. My nerves at at me.

That's fantastic levels of negativity, even for yourself :D I know it's easier to just be doom and gloom and 'I told you so', but it's not much fun, is it?

I figure we only have 3 injured players. Only one (Sanchez) would be starting for us. On top of that, you have Kos who can't play, and Mustafi who doesn't seem fit.

Our performances were actually good at the end of last year, and we looked generally good through preseason....and we've never lost to Leicester in the premier league.... :pac:

Okay lads. We can do this. C'mon to f*ck.

Leicester at home. We can defo do this, and do it well.

Shakespear me bollix.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/896064974782578688

Wow. Kolasinac in a back 3. Ox on left wingback again. Elneny rewarded for a good performance last weekend. No Mert as well.....very interesting back 3.

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's fantastic levels of negativity, even for yourself :D I know it's easier to just be doom and gloom and 'I told you so', but it's not much fun, is it?

I figure we only have 3 injured players. On top of that, you have Kos who can't play, and Mustafi who doesn't seem fit.

Our performances were actually good at the end of last year, and we looked generally good through preseason....and we've never lost to Leicester in the premier league.... :pac:

Ah Jesus. You are the same at the beginning of every season and then not a word when things went pear-shaped.
    Maybe it's because we've seen the same thing every season for umpteen years that i'm that way. We won't win the EPL again under Wenger.

Ah Jesus. You are the same at the beginning of every season and then not a word when things went pear-shaped.
    Maybe it's because we've seen the same thing every season for umpteen years that i'm that way. We won't win the EPL again under Wenger.

I'm around all the time, buddy! Things are only quiet when we're winning ;)

• Advertisement

I'm around all the time, buddy! Things are only quiet when we're winning ;)
    What did we win?
    Ah yes the FA Cup :D buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

What did we win?

Ah shure we won 3 trophies already this season...only 4 more to go:pac:

What did we win?

Ah yes, so I guess the match tonight can't be won. Only winning the league is a win...got it. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, so I guess the match tonight can't be won. Only winning the league is a win...got it. :rolleyes:

The EPL is the ONLY thing to win domestically. To be the best.
    What we should be aiming for. :rolleyes:

The EPL is the ONLY thing to win domestically. To be the best.
    What we should be aiming for. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, but I was referring to one thing, and you turned it into something completely different. Sure, you're still probably preoccupied by counting our 9 injured players, can imagine it's confusing :confused::pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Ah jaysis lads,season not even started and there's rows.:D

Anyway I think we are gonna win the league or go close,Im basing this on no reality whatsoever just blind optimism and if we dont I'll be raging as usual....Im getting the hang of this hope in August,reality in May shtick.

One things for sure...Beers are cold and Im free to watch the start of another...hmm eventful...season for The Arsenal

Ah yes, but I was referring to one thing, and you turned it into something completely different. Sure, you'll still probably preoccupied by counting our 9 injured players, can imagine it's confusing :confused::pac::D
    Sorry if i'm not the adoring Wenger type. I know you have a love -in with him
    You'll just have to put up with it or you can put me on ignore.
    Your call buddy :confused::pac::D

Come on the Arsenal! Buzzing for this match now and have that optimistic early season feeling of a title challenge :) I know I'm only kidding myself, but get sucked in every season!

Sorry if i'm not the adoring Wenger type. I know you have a love -in with him
    You'll just have to put up with it or you can put me on ignore.
    Your call buddy :confused::pac::D

Ah Tayto, another thing you're wrong about. You're entertaining, I wouldn't block you. You're my personal reminder of the miserable old man I hope I never become :D

I'm going (hoping) for 3-1 to us.

• Advertisement

Ah Tayto, another thing you're wrong about. You're entertaining, I wouldn't block you. You're my personal reminder of the miserable old man I hope I never become :D

I'm going (hoping) for 3-1 to us.
    Wenger has done it to me. That and the love of Arsenal.:D
    We will win 3 nil tonight. I backed Lacasette to score 16/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Wow Ivan Gazidis is some smart lad.

Wow Ivan Gazidis is some smart lad.

He says a lot of the right things. Dunno how many would agree with what he said about extending Wenger for 2 years, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

He says a lot of the right things. Dunno how many would agree with what he said about extending Wenger for 2 years, though!

Ah, it would be too strange to see someone else as an Arsenal manager right now tbh!

I'm actually so buzzed for the match tonight. Completely forgot how much I love football over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

We need to win this and win it playing good football, everyone's up right now and a bad result could see the doom and gloom return and the pressure back on Wenger.

Let's not look down on Leicester, they are still a good side that could cause our makeshift back three a lot of problems. Our side is good enough to win this one imo, we really need to start this season like we mean business. Don't think we win the league, still doubt we get top 4. Hope I'm wrong and we win everything :P.

Going for a 2-1 win. Come on Arsenal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Talks a lot of his behind but the manager and the board do a lot of that too. Just care what happens on the field, don't want to hear from that lot upstairs cause it's the same lines different season.

• Advertisement

Ah, this thread.

It's amazing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lads this is it! The wait is over. God I love arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The best thing about this season so far is every single pundit out there is saying we'll finish outside top four.

Top two.

Thing is, all of the top 6 will take points off each other. It's not like before when Jose could just buy it on his own, there's a few of 'em at it and they'll all hurt each other.

We've as much of a chance to win it as anybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Up the Arse

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement