Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arsenal will be the death of me

Come on you gunners!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Would sell the ox in a heartbeat

My nerves are shot to bits. I'm visibly shaky here, could be the weed, could be the drink, could be that I'm watching Arsenal.

More weed and drink were probably needed due to the fact you were watching Arsenal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

We're on the positive side of that 4-3 scoreline :pac: glad that we won our opening game. Now to even add just 1 proper CB I think that's a good window for us since we will be selling bench players.

Would sell the ox in a heartbeat

:eek:

He was fantastic tonight in fairness? no?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Isn't that 10 league wins in 11, with a cup & charity shield win in between?

Come on, man!

Our defending was woeful tonight in fairness to Tayto. Now im absolutely delighted after the win myself and i genuinely thought the lads were outstanding but at one stage Leicester cleared a ball and Cech had to come off his line or Vardy was through.....its not the defence as such its the balance throughout the team in terms of committing lads forward.

:eek:

He was fantastic tonight in fairness? no?

No way

He was moved across to the right cause he was having such a bad game on the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

No way

He was moved across to the right cause he was having such a bad game on the left

Shows how people can see a game...I thought the swap was cos Bellerin was having a bad game and Ox is better on the right.
    Defo thought Ox did miles better on the right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So, I report back from the emirates, but before I do, I'll give you some context on my life as a gooner for the last year or so. I essentially gave up on Arsenal. I still supported them, I still cheered when they scored, but they just weren't as important as they were. If they lost, I'd moved on by the following morning, where previously I was down for a few days afterwards.

I hadn't been to a game in over a year, despite living closer to the stadium than ever, and wasn't planning on heading to this game either, until my future brother in law ended up coming over this morning. Went in expecting nothing, told him it could be a tight cagey affair or a free for all, and ended up really really enjoying that game. Not just because we won, but because of the whole demeanour of the team. For once, I got the feeling that they actually wanted or even needed to win. Going into halftime at two one down, I honestly thought that they were being idiots chasing the game while they still have a half left to get back in the game, but then they got the goal just before half time. They went behind again, and didn't wither as they normally do, they sensed that they were still on top and kept pressing for the goal.

I left the stadium supremely happy. Yes, our defence was a shambles at times, but we'd won. I know that it means nothing in terms of the league, but they showed more desire than I've seen in the last two years, fa cup excluded.

Also, I mentioned that the emails said to get there early, and they really weren't joking. I'd say there was a twenty minute queue to get into the stadium, five minutes before kick off. Bear this in mind if your going in the future.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Shows how people can see a game...I thought the swap was cos Bellerin was having a bad game and Ox is better on the right.
    Defo thought Ox did miles better on the right.

Thought bellerin was moved to accommodate the ox, as bellerin could play on the left better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭OnlyGotOneSong

Ox was poor.Kept over running the ball ,passing in stupid areas.Hasnt become the player he should have by now.if he wants out let him leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Thought bellerin was moved to accommodate the ox, as bellerin could play on the left better

Could well be...all about perspective isnt it.
    Bellerin was probably moved cos the ox is useless on the left but better on the right and Bellerin is ok on both sides...
    Id still keep the Ox though..only young..only getting better...get rid of Walcott first and give the Ox the chances Theo had and I reckon he'll be 100 times the player Theo was...all my humble opinion though.

In case you havent had enough of Rambo tearing up trees tonight, first blood is currently on itv 4 :D

He's been very average tonight.

Your being kind to him. he gave many many balls away..unusually for him though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tbh I don't understand why you are always on about selling players in here. Walcott and Ox are good squad options at the very least and have shown in the past they can be more than that. You build on top of these players, not sell them and have no options when Welbeck and Sanchez tear their hamstrings.

Leicester are no mugs going forward and Arsenal's defence was as makeshift as they come. Disappointing for yous to concede those 3 goals as 1 or 2 at the very least could have been prevented but I thought a lot went Leicester's way. Vardy looked very sharp and could be in for another big season.

Anyway, point being, yis get Sanchez back and start with him, Welbeck, Ozil and Lacazette in front of Ramsey and Xhaka and the CBs back fit you could be in for a good season. Easier said than done though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liam O wrote: »
    Tbh I don't understand why you are always on about selling players in here. Walcott and Ox are good squad options at the very least and have shown in the past they can be more than that.

In the case of Walcott tho he is being paid a lot more than just that of a squad player. I think that's where the animosity starts. Based on wages alone he should be doing a lot better, and could be replaced with a lot better.

I would def sell Walcott too don't understand the hate from last night though was only for ten mins

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Could well be...all about perspective isnt it.
    Bellerin was probably moved cos the ox is useless on the left but better on the right and Bellerin is ok on both sides...
    Id still keep the Ox though..only young..only getting better...get rid of Walcott first and give the Ox the chances Theo had and I reckon he'll be 100 times the player Theo was...all my humble opinion though.

Your opinion holds as much weight as mine, and you could well be right

Mad how we both watch the same game and see it differently, makes for great debate

So Ramsey has scored 4 goals in his last 4 matches for club and country.... They've actually been nice goals as well. Here's hoping he can keep up this run of form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Basil3 wrote:
    So Ramsey has scored 4 goals in his last 4 matches for club and country.... They've actually been nice goals as well. Here's hoping he can keep up this run of form.

He had his great run of form before with Giroud's knock downs. Seemed to be linking up regularly and all of a sudden it stopped. They were unplayable during that stage

Great night in the end. Got the win (so could slag my mate) then won 2 games of FIFA in a row even though he reckons he's incredibly good at it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Happy with the win considering we very rarely get a result the first game of the season. Xhaka got two assists but was poor, impressed with Laccazette and Kolasinic (but want to see him lwb) very attacking minded too which is great. Defence was a shambles I still think with Mustafi and Kos to come back we still need another quality cb along with a cdm just pay the money for NZonzi, nice now to sit back and enjoy all the other games knowing 3 points is secure. Stoke away next week i think Giroud could cause them problems if started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

If we can tighten up defensively I'm not entirely unhappy going into the year with Xhaka and Ramsey as the midfield duo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Was very impressed with the quality of passing and movement last night. It didn't always work but I put that down to early season rustiness. The ambition was great to see and I think we are going to see some very exciting football this season

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/08/arsenal-4-3-leicester-by-the-numbers/

Interesting stats about us, mainly defensively. We only allowed 6 shots the whole match, but unfortunately 3 of those shots were in the 6 yard box (and all resulted in goals), which is criminal. Elneny and Xhaka did virtually no defensive work, but at the same time it's hard to read much into it because it didn't feel like we ever had to defend.

I'm still hoping we put in better defensive displays when we get Kos/Mustafi/Mert back in. I actually think Mert in the middle of a back 3 would be decent.

I don't see any chance of us bringing in another CB, not with how many we have on the books, so I won't even entertain the idea. Virgil van Dyk seems the flavour of the month with everyone on Twitter and YouTube....I don't remember anyone mentioning him coming to us until his transfer to Liverpool was mentioned. Bizarre how people latch onto something and it's spreads like crazy.

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    If we can tighten up defensively I'm not entirely unhappy going into the year with Xhaka and Ramsey as the midfield duo.

I'm really happy going into the season with that as a partnership

It's there cover I'm not convinced by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah Virgil Van Dyk is a non runner for Arsenal. Wenger will never pay 60-70 million on a centre back. Was surprised that he splashed out 30 odd million on Mustafi last season.

I think we will be ok once we get the starting centre backs back. Will definitely help having natural centre halves playing there, instead of left backs.

Since everyone else is moving on and I can't be accused of pissing on anyone's parade... :pac:

We're still nothing at the back and it starts from the very back with Cech. By the end of this season or into next season we'll again be known as a team with a joke of a goalkeeper. Last night we showed the same mental retardation as always which led to the first goal. It's the same old Arsenal lads. The one that finished 5th in the league last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah Virgil Van Dyk is a non runner for Arsenal. Wenger will never pay 60-70 million on a centre back. Was surprised that he splashed out 30 odd million on Mustafi last season.

I think we will be ok once we get the starting centre backs back. Will definitely help having natural centre halves playing there, instead of left backs.
    We had Kos and Mustafi loads of times last season and still leaked silly goals.
    I'd rather a good steady CB than a winger to be bought now.
    You build on your defence. Get the foundation right before you complete the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

No hope of van dijk lads, not a chance the club would break the bank for a cb.
    So many good things last night but at the same time so many issues too, the number of stray passes was shocking, maybe start of the season rustiness and all that but still.
    Holding still is very raw, every time he did something good he seemed to funk it up with a silly error just after. Elneny is a stop gap, while I do like him, he offers nothing going forward, seems to get into decent positions but has zero shooting ability. He still looks like a player that knows he is out of his dept at such a big club. I was impressed with Lacca's movement and Kolasinic looks a top buy. Still think Cech is past it.
    Id say we're done in the market for this window so bar the few injuries and whatever Sanchez decides to do, this is our lot for the year.
    Havent heard anything lately about players out, will we still be keeping the likes of Wilshere etc?

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ lads. We were playing one of the better offensive sides in the league missing 2 of our 3 starting backs. Monreal and Kola were playing out of position. We were missing our undeniably best player and we still managed to score 4 goals. Lacazette looks hot, Ramsey looks hot, Giroud is the best second option in the league. There'll be another signing this window. A bit of perspective it was a tricky fixture and we came away with 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

There'll be another signing this window.

Who do you reckon? I'd say we are done somehow but id like to think you are right

wonga77 wrote: »
    Who do you reckon? I'd say we are done somehow but id like to think you are right

A midfielder of some type, winger or CM I'm not sure. We were told there would be significant strengthening this window and I believe the club will spend more than 50 million.

wonga77 wrote: »

it really depends who leaves. Problem is all the potential departees are so well paid that there aren't many clubs who would want to match them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Perfect result. An opening day home win with a strong exciting finish but enough to show Wenger he can still improve the squad before it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jesus Christ lads. We were playing one of the better offensive sides in the league missing 2 of our 3 starting backs. Monreal and Kola were playing out of position. We were missing our undeniably best player and we still managed to score 4 goals. Lacazette looks hot, Ramsey looks hot, Giroud is the best second option in the league. There'll be another signing this window. A bit of perspective it was a tricky fixture and we came away with 3 points.

Didn't matter who formed our defence. We conceded 3 goals at home. We have conceded silly goals with our "best" CB's in too on occasions. We just do not have quality defenders.
    Hopefully it will improve but we have had defensive problems, serious ones, for the last 7 years approx.

There was a great spirit in the team last night which hopefully will continue and the two new signings did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We surely have to sign one last player.

Even if Kolas wasnt free I would still expect another signing.

Very worrying there are no concrete signs of any players moving out still.

Almost deja vu comparing last season's opener to this year's. Make shift defence and those 3 points cost us top 4. Happy that we managed to win the game despite being even more short-staffed at the back. Convinced we won't concede that many at home again this season.

In the last six games of last season with 3 at the back and a full squad we conceded 3 goals and won 7 out of 7 games. Three of those games were against Utd, Chelsea and Everton. Its not all doom and gloom lads

I think it's also pretty rough to say that we weren't prepared at the back. Mert was supposedly fit, but that gash looked pretty bad...maybe they don't have a hotline to the mask-maker dude like Chelsea do? :pac:

We knew we had to suck up a couple of matches without Kos, and it seems that Mustafi is a bit undercooked after missing pre-season. I'd expect we are a lot more solid at the back next weekend.

If we settle into a consistent lineup, the mix-ups due to poor communication, and passes to nobody should stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I think the biggest positive from last night is Wenger's statement that Giroud is happy to stay. Swapping him for Lacazette would probably have been an upgrade on last season, but having both of them is a massive upgrade.

Holding was worrying, Özil fairly anonymous too but I guess he wasn't 100% fit. I didn't think Elneny was as bad as some in here suggest, and thought Chamberlain was excellent until the final ball (as usual).

Chamberlain was excellent until the final ball (as usual).

We just need to create a YouTube compilation of everything except his final ball, then send it off to potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

3 points clear at the top, the league is in our hands lads!!!

While I was happy (if not near having heart attacks!) about the game last night...

I have a smile on the face thanks to Liverpool.

:D

Nice 2 points dropped there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Pff we were staying top anyway

Goals scored :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Arsenal flirted heavily with being the first 'Crisis Club' of the new season, Chelsea leaving no room for doubt today though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Pff we were staying top anyway

Goals scored :cool:

I defer to the mighty Stephen Ward

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Conte will be gone by nov imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Chelsea lol.

• Advertisement

Lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement