Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

Didn't matter who formed our defence. We conceded 3 goals at home. We have conceded silly goals with our "best" CB's in too on occasions. We just do not have quality defenders.
    Hopefully it will improve but we have had defensive problems, serious ones, for the last 7 years approx.

There was a great spirit in the team last night which hopefully will continue and the two new signings did well.

We had loads committed in their half of the field last night at one stage and yet not fúckin one of them could put pressure on the Leicester player hoofing it up the field to Vardy who was nearly through only Cech read the danger

Just looking back at the Vardy goal, Xhaka passes to nobody, and not only does Bellerin not read the danger, he doesn't bust his balls to get back. Sometimes I feel like he thinks he's not a defender anymore, but an extra attacking player. Someone like the Ox would make more effort getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just looking back at the Vardy goal, Xhaka passes to nobody, and not only does Bellerin not read the danger, he doesn't bust his balls to get back. Sometimes I feel like he thinks he's not a defender anymore, but an extra attacking player. Someone like the Ox would make more effort getting back.

I think thats harsh, when any team loses the ball unexpectedly like that you get caught out, everyone is moving forward not expecting Xhaka to make such a bad pass.

And Bellerin is an extra attacking player, I have no doubt that he is following orders, he can't be at both ends of the pitch all the time and if he busts his guts for an attacking phase, it is up to Xhaka or Elneny to cover.

He has been doing this a while now. I remember he made a brainless run up the wing in the last ever meeting with West Ham at Upton Park, lost the ball and didnt bother his hole running back. You wouldnt see Lee Dixon at that craic and he was as good to attack.

I think thats harsh, when any team loses the ball unexpectedly like that you get caught out, everyone is moving forward not expecting Xhaka to make such a bad pass.

And Bellerin is an extra attacking player, I have no doubt that he is following orders, he can't be at both ends of the pitch all the time and if he busts his guts for an attacking phase, it is up to Xhaka or Elneny to cover.

I understand that he's there to help the attack, but he's still primarily a defender - the clue is in the name of his position.

If you look at how Albrighton reacts and pounces, it's a shame Bellerin didn't put the same effort trying to get back. Maybe he thought the situation was under control. It's more the lack of effort that annoys me. I sometimes feel he would make more effort sprinting to get forward, than to get back.

I think I'd much prefer to see Ox in that position on the right if we play a back 3. He offers more going forward, and no less going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Bellerin is actually insanely bad in the air, cant seem to time his jumps properly at all and never wins a duel in the air. One of the many things I miss about Sagna was he was unbeatable in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ah MOTD, how I've missed you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Ah MOTD, how I've missed you.

Until Shearer starts banging on!

Finally watched MotD there. Was interesting when the commentator said that Leicester proved time and time again our vulnerability from set pieces. I don't think it should be a major concern, I'm pretty sure last season we only conceded 6 goals from set pieces, the lowest in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Finally watched MotD there. Was interesting when the commentator said that Leicester proved time and time again our vulnerability from set pieces. I don't think it should be a major concern, I'm pretty sure last season we only conceded 6 goals from set pieces, the lowest in the league.

you'd think commentators would do a little research before spouting tired old cliches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Looks like the Lemar deal has stalled with the asking price too rich for the club, some say they want 70million. Barmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

emmetlego wrote: »
    Looks like the Lemar deal has stalled with the asking price too rich for the club, some say they want 70million. Barmy.

Yep, I'd be delighted to sign him but 70m is huge money for Arsene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I think we should pay it. Our net spend last year was 90 million pounds or so. With Woj gone and likely at least 2 more departures it would leave us around the same again this year, I was hoping to spend more tbh but Kola is a great addition on a free. Lemar's price isn't going to go down next season either.

domrush wrote: »
    I think we should pay it. Our net spend last year was 90 million pounds or so. With Woj gone and likely at least 2 more departures it would leave us around the same again this year, I was hoping to spend more tbh but Kola is a great addition on a free. Lemar's price isn't going to go down next season either.

I don't think we should spend 70m on him, it is not the area that we need to strengthen in. If we lose Sanchez, who is rumoured to be in Paris last night with his girlfriend and agent, then I think we should go all out for Lemar.

Can't believe how long it is taking us to get rid of some players, I hate the way the window is still open after the season has begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I don't think we should spend 70m on him, it is not the area that we need to strengthen in. If we lose Sanchez, who is rumoured to be in Paris last night with his girlfriend and agent, then I think we should go all out for Lemar.

Can't believe how long it is taking us to get rid of some players, I hate the way the window is still open after the season has begun.

Lemar is only 21 years old and has experience playing on both wings as well as CM which is why I think he's exactly what we need. He's incredibly versatile. Play him CM this season or on the RW, then next season let him take the LW or however Wenger sees it playing out.

domrush wrote: »
    Lemar is only 21 years old and has experience playing on both wings as well as CM which is why I think he's exactly what we need. He's incredibly versatile. Play him CM this season or on the RW, then next season let him take the LW or however Wenger sees it playing out.

I didn't know he was able to play cm, I thought he was primarily a winger.

Either way I can't see Wenger going 20m odd over his previous bid, we are not desperate enough to be splashing that sort of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

We are desperate for a "Quality" player and he is quality. Even if we spent 70m on him we would have spent only 128m this summer which is nothing for a club our size, plus if we sold the deadwood we would be recoup a fair chunk of that and have a very good squad. You cannot build a good squad rotating in and out of the club players every 2-3 yrs....

I know we have a senior squad with 33+ players but alot of them are very mediocre! We should trim that by 6-7 and get 2-3 quality players in, club would be alot better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think Wenger has to offload some wages before we sign again but surely everyone agrees that even if Sanchez stays this season that he's more than likely gone next season. Would it not be better to bring in somebody like Lemar now before he snapped up by another club? I don't see the arse falling out of the transfer market anytime soon

The interesting thing is that Lemar wasn't mentioned in here before we were linked with him a couple of months ago, and now it seems like he's pretty much our only hope.

If they think they can get him in a year's time, should they wait or sign someone in the meantime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

How good is Lemar? any other clubs sniffing about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

At home to West Ham admittedly but United looked good. Excellent going forward and equally good without the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

At home to West Ham admittedly but United looked good. Excellent going forward and equally good without the ball.

Amazing how time and time again Mourinho manages to fashion a decent looking team from an unlimited pile of cash. Don't know he does it.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Amazing how time and time again Mourinho manages to fashion a decent looking team from an unlimited pile of cash. Don't know he does it.

He looks at the problem areas of the team and then buys the best players he can afford to fill the holes.

keano_afc wrote: »

As opposed to what, trying to hammer a circle into a square hole season after season. And wondering why we are not close to winning the PL or even getting in the last 8 of the CL.

I agree he spends a hell of alot of cash wherever he goes but football is a results business and he gets results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I get into trouble on this site every time I mention the Man U manager, so I'll try be polite. I would rather start following Spurs and burn my testicles with molten lava than have him manage our team. Sorry if that offends, but I dislike him beyond what a keyboard can express.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I get into trouble on this site every time I mention the Man U manager, so I'll try be polite. I would rather start following Spurs and burn my testicles with molten lava than have him manage our team. Sorry if that offends, but I dislike him beyond what a keyboard can express.
    Nice and creative :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah. I can't wait till al his players hate him and he gets fired again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Very quiet around here hmmm..

Anyone know who were given permission to leave London and go abroad?

Sanchez, Xhaka and anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Chelsea in for the ox

• Advertisement

Chelsea in for the ox

I wouldn't say no to a good offer, he has had his chances and he doesn't look like signing an extension. Get whatever money we can get for him and get in a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Chelsea in for the ox

Really don't get this one - he's playing his heart out for the club recently but seemingly has no interest in signing. Guessing its because he wants a regular start and I suspect Arsenal will strongly consider this supposed €35m bid.

Hate to see him going to a London rival & getting very late in the day to sign a replacement

Would he even be a regular starter? Ox has made no secret of the fact that he sees himself playing in the middle, but would he play there for Chelsea? I think the only thing they could offer him is a pay increase, but I'm sure we're offering that anyway.

Would he even be a regular starter? Ox has made no secret of the fact that he sees himself playing in the middle, but would he play there for Chelsea? I think the only thing they could offer him is a pay increase, but I'm sure we're offering that anyway.

Can't see him starting in the middle for Chelsea with Kante & Bakayoko there, especially when they see how careless in possession he can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Ox is mediocre, a few good games at the end of the season does not change that. Take the €35m (if true) and just go and get f****** Lemar.

£35-40m I would bit the hand off chelsea and drive him there myself. That money (although I seriously doubt it, because we are so backward thinking) could and should go straight to the pot for Lemar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

35m for Ox is fine but only if we replace the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Would much prefer the money we get for Ox to be spent on a cdm or another cb that's where all our problems are, attacking wise we are very strong so unless Sanchez leaves I don't see us getting Lemar.
    Hopefully the next week or two sees us clearing out the squad too far to much deadwood we have to be one of the worst teams for holding onto mediocre players.

Then grab that Virgil "Dick Van Dike" fella of Southampton before Liverpool kop on and buy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Lads I am going to try and get over for a game this season with my young lad, 9. What's the best way to go about getting tickets? Register with the club? Junior membership? Is it easier to get tickets via junior membership?

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Arsenium wrote: »
    Lads I am going to try and get over for a game this season with my young lad, 9. What's the best way to go about getting tickets? Register with the club? Junior membership? Is it easier to get tickets via junior membership?

Thanks a lot.

If living in Dublin check out www.irishgunners.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If living in Dublin check out www.irishgunners.com

Is this strictly for people from Dublin?

Also, Ox to Chelsea for 35M makes sense as they are desperate for homegrown players, so 35M for Ox is probably good for bang for buck value when you add in the English Tax.

Offloading him, and getting Thomas Lemar would be great business.

Losing Ox isn't a big deal because Walcott is essentially the same player and even less injury prone/

Quazzie wrote: »

Also, Ox to Chelsea for 35M makes sense as they are desperate for homegrown players, so 35M for Ox is probably good for bang for buck value when you add in the English Tax.

Offloading him, and getting Thomas Lemar would be great business.

Losing Ox isn't a big deal because Walcott is essentially the same player and even less injury prone/

Walcott actually scores goals.

Watched the Gunnervlog today, and he said something along the lines of 'Ox ticks all the boxes, but can't connect them together'. So true.

On another note, was reading that Xhaka covered the most distance of any player last weekend. Quite impressive.

Slightly off Arsenal, but can anyone tell me why Chelsea sold Matic to Man United? It makes absolutely no sense whatsover from their point of view.

Why weaken yourself and strengthen a rival when money means nothing to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

We only accept members from Dublin and surrounding area as this is stipulated by Arsenal as to not affect other supporters clubs in that area

Watched the Gunnervlog today, and he said something along the lines of 'Ox ticks all the boxes, but can't connect them together'. So true.

I think that is a really good way of putting it.

I don't understand why Ox won't sign an extension though? I know he's not a regular starter but is he expecting to be that at Chelsea? If he does start at Chelsea it looks like it will probably be as a RWB, I thought that was a position he was unhappy playing, I thought he wanted to play in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Slightly off Arsenal, but can anyone tell me why Chelsea sold Matic to Man United? It makes absolutely no sense whatsover from their point of view.

Matic wanted to leave but you're right, crazy selling him to United.
    Unfortunately we've been there, done that...really embarrassing

marvin80 wrote: »

The major difference is we were desperate for cash. This just makes zero sense from any point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

marvin80 wrote: »
    Ol' Donie wrote: »

Who've we done it with?

A Cole to chelsea
    V Persie to united

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Who've we done it with?

A Cole to chelsea
    V Persie to united

Anyone else?

Nasri, Clichy, and Adebayour all to city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Nasri, Clichy, and Adebayour all to city

Sagna too but he didn't win anything with City

Don't think he has a club now? Google showed this

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-city-transfer-news-sagna-13105578

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement