Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Quazzie wrote: »
    Nasri, Clichy, and Adebayour all to city

Kolo Toure as well to City....he was 28 but still had a load in the tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sure he was invincible again just last season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Kolo was done as a top cb, never the same player after getting malaria that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Out of all them departures the only ones that "hurt" me were the Fabregas to Barcelona, as we basically built a team around the guy and that set us back years. The other one was RVP who should never have been allowed to leave for Man Utd effectively winning them the league. Ashley Cole to Chelsea was a bad one, but at least we got Gallas in return to soften the blow, plus Mourinho was livid that he was allowed leave for Arsenal as part of the deal.

I didn't care about the players sold to City tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Out of all them departures the only ones that "hurt" me were the Fabregas to Barcelona, as we basically built a team around the guy and that set us back years. The other one was RVP who should never have been allowed to leave for Man Utd effectively winning them the league. Ashley Cole to Chelsea was a bad one, but at least we got Gallas in return to soften the blow, plus Mourinho was livid that he was allowed leave for Arsenal as part of the deal.

Exactly my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Van Persie to United was the toughest one to take we basically won them the league selling him to them. I know we had first preference buying Fabregas back and decided not to (why il never understand ) but seeing him in a Chelsea jersey still kills me to this day. Lads that went to City didn't bother me half as much as the other two tbh but if Sanchez ends up there this year that's the league wrapped up for them and that one will be very very hard to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The problem for me was that any player we got in return was usually crap.
    Good teams don't sell their best players to rivals but we do.

The problem for me was that any player we got in return was usually crap.
    Good teams don't sell their best players to rivals but we do.

:(

article-2280439-09075071000005DC-77_634x450.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Think Nasri would have been world class with the team built around him at Arsenal, never progressed at City really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

AdamD wrote: »
    Think Nasri would have been world class with the team built around him at Arsenal, never progressed at City really.

He was only close to world class for 6 months at Arsenal.

He was only close to world class for 6 months at Arsenal.

Then he left and never progressed, hence my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

There's been a few like that - Hleb was another - gutted when he left. I think he regretted it in later years as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Trying to be optimistic here

Those were the days with financial constraints, the future's looking bright. I just hope whoever takes over Arsenal after Arsene can build from it, Wenger already laid the foundations to be successful club in the future.

5star02707 wrote: »
    Trying to be optimistic here

Those were the days with financial constraints, the future's looking bright. I just hope whoever takes over Arsenal after Arsene can build from it, Wenger already laid the foundations to be successful club in the future.

Need someone at board level with a bit of vision and who knows how to get things done like Dein for that to happen.

Lord Harris of Peckham & Sir Chips don't cut the mustard, Kroenke Jr doesn't have a clue and Gazidis is a glorified spin-doctor.

Well, he actually had that 6 months, then 6 crap, then left. Honestly, I think his personality stopped him being world class than any move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, the ones the got away -

I think Fabregas hurt the most, even though there was an inevitability about it. How he'd progressed from a youngster with a bad mullet into a real world class player and then to have him just leave was just a heart-breaker. I still remember with great fondness - love even - him scoring that penalty with a broken leg against Barca in that 2-2 draw at home in the 2010 Champions League and then spending the remaining few minutes of the match on the pitch, barely able to walk, as Arsenal, improbably, tried to win that game. What a man, I thought, he loves Arsenal this lad.

Little over a year later he was gone. It stung that one, because there was love there with Fabregas and, for a while, after he'd left you could feel it: the heart was gone from the team. I think he'll eventually be remembered as a proper Arsenal legend, but to see him currently running around the field for Chelsea feels all wrong - I understand rationally how and why he's there, but on an emotional level I just think, oh Cesc, how did it come to this?

Van Persie was a sickener too, but I think there was no stopping Van Persie: he wanted to go. His behaviour during that summer was admittedly not great, but what can you do? It felt a bit frustrating because I can remember knowing, without any doubt, since about 05 that Van Persie was an absolutely outstanding player, but I had a hard time convincing anyone that didn't support Arsenal of this - he was just out injured too much for people even to remember him most of the time. So whenever he'd come back and be his ordinary brilliant best, it felt like a personal vindication of my faith. Then he came back once more from injury and played out of skin for eighteen months. Then he left: bollocks anyway. I will admit that I loved watching him play, even if it was for United; he was just too good of a football player.

Nasri? Ah whatever. Nasri had one amazing half season, but his attitude always stank. He was one of those who I put up with because he played for Arsenal, but, I knew, deep down, that if he played for anyone else I'd hate the sight of him. I'm pretty sure something would have eventually happened that would have swiftly ended his Arsenal, even if City had never arrived with their oily cash.

Adebayor: great player on his day, but sh*tty attitude. I don't know if it would have really worked out.

Hleb: that one felt crappy. Hleb was class, if a little unproductive. I remember him being a vital component of that 07/08 side and that teams eventual soul crushing failure, being perfectly encapsulated in Hleb f*cking of to Barca. He'd been so good for the first half of that season and then, in the end, his departure was so underwhelming: remember, he got a three game suspension for stupidly slapping some nobody in a FA Cup game against Reading. And that was that. After all the hope and promise of the season, he belted some journeyman in an easy-peasy cup tie and never played for the club again. I don't blame him for wanting to try his luck with Barca, but did he honestly think he was going to be a roaring suceess there? With the midfield they had at that time? Within two years he was togging out for for those well known purveyors of champagne football - Birmingham City; Hleb, you ejit. He's said it himself that he regrets leaving, but I suppose we all regret a lot of things Alex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cesc was some player, I remember a ManU fan friend of mine getting annoyed watching him, saying he never misses a ****ing pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Helb was everything that was wrong with arsenal at the time, wonderful technique just no end product what so ever.

Nasri although didn't really fulfil his potential, I think he had a mostly decent time at city even having some really great patches.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Helb was everything that was wrong with arsenal at the time, wonderful technique just no end product what so ever.

Nasri although didn't really fulfil his potential, I think he had a mostly decent time at city even having some really great patches.

He was brilliant in that 2007-08 season, never one for racking up stats but always sucked so many players towards him with his dribbling freeing up space for the likes of Rosicky, Cesc etc.

He was instrumental in that team tearing up most of the Premier League that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

salmocab wrote: »
    Cesc was some player, I remember a ManU fan friend of mine getting annoyed watching him, saying he never misses a ****ing pass

Even though he went on to win the big trophies at Barcelona and Chelsea, Still think his best footballing years were at Arsenal. He won't figure too much as a legend at either Chelsea or Barcelona (I bet that one hurts him a lot, after the big move him and the Barca fans never warmed to each other). Still a great footballer though, he definitely splits opinion with Arsenal fans.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

Both had good one off season's at Arsenal, then both went for the big money moves. I would even add Flamini to that list, when he came back for that second spell he was nowhere near the player that left.

The one that stung for me was Robin Van Persie leaving, I think moment Van Persie left for Utd was the moment I was Wenger Out, totally took the big club feel away from us. Then went on win the PL just added to the flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Cesc, yeah I loved him in our shirt. His performances as a teenager were just stunning. I remember in Highbury during our 49 game unbeaten run, hearing the chant for the first time. "Fabregas, ooh ooh, he's only 17, he's better than Roy Keane, Fabregas" And while I giggled a little, I thought about it. It was actually true. Just loved him. He was very passionate about the club while he played for us, but the f*****g head turning by Barca was exceptionally powerful. It was his home town club after all. I was gutted when he left, but understood his want. He served us very well, an exceptional pro.

Van Persie, Nasri, Ade could all go f*** off as far as I was concerned. Spoiled brats. Agree with the above poster, who said he became 'Wenger out' when he sold Van Persie. It was the first time I actually began to question Arsene in my head, and it's been a downward spiral of varying speeds since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

@argus

Without quoting that whole post...

Brilliant! Exactly how I feel! Fabregas hurt the most here too but honestly don't think he'll go down as an arsenal legend. Whatever about the Barca stuff, he's gone to Chelsea and been successful there, that's unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I can't understand how the departure of RVP was the moment people started turning against Wenger.

He had run down his contract and the club were still having to manage the financing of the stadium build. They had no choice but to sell.

It was tough at the time and that was compounded by United winning the league but I don't see what else Arsene could have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

And he still didnt learn, why let quality players run down contracts????

Its the same with Sanchez.....and we are not financing a stadium now.

@argus

Without quoting that whole post...

Brilliant! Exactly how I feel! Fabregas hurt the most here too but honestly don't think he'll go down as an arsenal legend. Whatever about the Barca stuff, he's gone to Chelsea and been successful there, that's unforgivable.

I suppose. I think when he left for Barca most people still had love for him in their hearts, but his current position as a Chelsea player definitely sours people's attitude towards him a bit - or even a lot. But I don't know how much I can or should feel angry about that. Did he actually want to return, but Arsenal said no? Or was it the other way around? I'm sure someone will be along to tell me it was one or the other. If it was a case that the club didn't want him, well, then, I can't harbour much of a grudge towards him - that wouldn't be fair. He has to do his best on the field for whoever he's playing for now, I don't really have an issue with that.

I think when former players are still playing for other or even rival teams people can be very much focused on the now, but after those players hang up their boots people's attitudes soften and remember the good times. Look at Thierry Henry for example. Mr. Arsenal. Not saying he isn't a club legend - he absolutely is, but you'd swear he never agitated for a move to Barcelona for ages before actually getting it, after his ego had become detrimental to the teams progress. His "homecoming" run of games 2012 was slightly nauseating to me. You can bet your ass that if Barcelona had still wanted him he would have still been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

difference is Sanchez is not being sold. Not sure what the club is supposed to do if a player chooses not to sign a contract?

greendom wrote: »
    I can't understand how the departure of RVP was the moment people started turning against Wenger.

He had run down his contract and the club were still having to manage the financing of the stadium build. They had no choice but to sell.

It was tough at the time and that was compounded by United winning the league but I don't see what else Arsene could have done.

I agree with that, I guess. There were a lot of things to consider with RVP. He was pushing on in years - was it worth breaking the bank for an injury prone player who was pushing thirty and who may not have wanted to be there. Fair enough, he won United the title, but would he have won Arsenal the title? Honestly, I think he'd probably would have had his leg snapped by a falling cup in the canteen on the first day of pre-season - this is Arsenal we're talking about.

Arghus wrote: »
    I suppose. I think when he left for Barca most people still had love for him in their hearts, but his current position as a Chelsea player definitely sours people's attitude towards him a bit - or even a lot. But I don't know how much I can or should feel angry about that. Did he actually want to return, but Arsenal said no? Or was it the other way around? I'm sure someone will be along to tell me it was one or the other. If it was a case that the club didn't want him, well, then, I can't harbour much of a grudge towards him - that wouldn't be fair. He has to do his best on the field for whoever he's playing for now, I don't really have an issue with that.

I think when former players are still playing for other or even rival teams people can be very much focused on the now, but after those players hang up their boots people's attitudes soften and remember the good times. Look at Thierry Henry for example. Mr. Arsenal. Not saying he isn't a club legend - he absolutely is, but you'd swear he never agitated for a move to Barcelona for ages before actually getting it, after his ego had become detrimental to the teams progress. His "homecoming" run of games 2012 was slightly nauseating to me. You can bet your ass that if Barcelona had still wanted him he would have still been there.

Henry did give his best years to Arsenal, plus he won PL's and such with us. That's why he gets the pass. Plus 2012 run did cover over some wounds.

I can't see Ashley Cole and Robin Van Persie ever been forgiven, Cole even turned down The Invincibles reunion cause he didn't want to upset Arsenal fans. I think him been a local lad and the whole shady dealings with his transfer has left a distaste. Van Persie, barely ever mentions Arsenal these days always about Man Utd. I think those two definitely will always have a tough time with Arsenal fans.

Cesc, to be fair as I said before does split opinion with Arsenal fans. I think you can tell it hurts him when he does get booed cause I honestly do think he loves the club but his family came first (and also wanting to win things) when it came to his move to Chelsea, as his wife wanted their daughter to be educated and live in London. I'm sure it sucks for him that the two clubs he loves the most (Arsenal and Barcelona) he won't be seen as a club legend at either.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

They've been trying to extend him for over a year, AFAIK. Should they have sold him last year because he didn't sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Basil3 wrote: »
    They've been trying to extend him for over a year, AFAIK. Should they have sold him last year because he didn't sign?

That is ridiculous, just because a player doesn't agree to a first contract offer he should not be sold, I imagine the negotiations are a lot more complex than how most football fans imagine they are.

The only thing the club should have done is when they first started extension talks was to offer him a much better deal, without CL football now it makes negotiating the extension very difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basil3 wrote: »

Should've been sold this summer. Simple as.

That is ridiculous, just because a player doesn't agree to a first contract offer he should not be sold, I imagine the negotiations are a lot more complex than how most football fans imagine they are.

The only thing the club should have done is when they first started extension talks was to offer him a much better deal, without CL football now it makes negotiating the extension very difficult.

You're preaching to the choir.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Should've been sold this summer. Simple as.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..

Ah no seriously, it's not an easy decision for the club, I don't want him to be sold this summer, I think we need him to get us back into the top 4. Even if that means he moves to City next summer for free.

If he is sold this month some fans will be very unhappy and think the club messed up.
    If he is let go for free next summer some fans will be very unhappy and think the club messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Seeing him go the either of the Manchester clubs on a free next summer would sicken my sh1te.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..

Ah no seriously, it's not an easy decision for the club, I don't want him to be sold this summer, I think we need him to get us back into the top 4. Even if that means he moves to City next summer for free.

If he is sold this month some fans will be very unhappy and think the club messed up.
    If he is let go for free next summer some fans will be very unhappy and think the club messed up.

There's a third option.
    He helps us win the league, gets a great offer and stays.
    Feck this fourth place crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Fabregas is an Arsenal legend to me and always will be. What a player. If I had the ability to be a decent footballer I'd model my game on Cesc. That goal he scored against Tottenham where he burst through from midfield was brilliant and is one of the stand out memories I have of him.

sonic85 wrote: »
    Fabregas is an Arsenal legend to me and always will be. What a player. If I had the ability to be a decent footballer I'd model my game on Cesc. That goal he scored against Tottenham where he burst through from midfield was brilliant and is one of the stand out memories I have of him.
    Always will be a favourite.
    Wenger should have swallowed his pride and taken him back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Cesc will never be seen as an arsenal legend in my book not even close

Wouldn't mention how m in the same breath as proper Arsenal legends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Cesc will never be seen as an arsenal legend in my book not even close

Wouldn't mention how m in the same breath as proper Arsenal legends

Any particular reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Loved Cesc. Definitely a legend for us.

Of all the various infuriating things we've seen in the past ten years, not taking him back (and allowing him to go to them and HIM) made me angriest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just scanning the pages lads I do it with all threads but of your recent players that left fabregas is the one for me that I wish United had.

I think at arsenal you got his best years he was quality at Barca and still is at Chelsea but when he was in his early 20s he had an aura about him he lead arsenal and probably if ever a player owned a club he did he was your Steven Gerrard for what he brought to the club.

I blame Wenger for him leaving in the years that he was captain I think Wenger didn't push the club on enough he made some peculiar signings and that period of the club is why it is where it is today in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Never even dawned on me seeing Sanchez go to Man Utd next year just always assumed City....I now have a sick sick feeling.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Loved Cesc. Definitely a legend for us.

Of all the various infuriating things we've seen in the past ten years, not taking him back (and allowing him to go to them and HIM) made me angriest.

I think he lost his legendary status for us to be honest, however there was no doubting his talent or commitment when he did wear the shirt....I just couldnt heap him into the same category as Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Adams, Rocky, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Never even dawned on me seeing Sanchez go to Man Utd next year just always assumed City....I now have a sick sick feeling.

Doubt he will as long as yer man is in charge. He gives the ball away too much for his style of play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Does anyone think we have any "legends" at the club at the moment?

I certainly don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I certainly don't.

Ditto. Though I'm not sure how I would define a legend tbh. Is it a player that has shown loyalty or a player that has won us numerous games with his skill or even just a player that all the fans like, like maybe Cazorla?

As for previous players Cesc and RVP could have been but they moved on in their prime. I loved Nasri and would have loved it if he stayed and I believe he would have made a big impact at the club but he followed the cash and will be barely remembered by the City fans.

I certainly don't.

Not at the moment but with a few more years of service it'll be hard to deny Ramsey as a club legend considering he has scored the winner in 2 cup finals.

Legends don't always have to be star players

Giroud will be remembered fondly in the future. Not a legend, maybe more of a cult hero.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll remember Mert(especially after the final last season), Giroud, Arteta, Kosc and Cazorla as fondly as any player from previous eras.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement