Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You've been watching Arsenal long enough to realise that we are not strong enough at the back to win a league. Surely you can see that.
    Just look at last season's winners, Chelsea, and tell me our defence is as strong as theirs was. Aspilaquerta, Cahill, Terry, Luiz, Zouma etc off the top of my head.

On paper, that's actually not that strong. Azpilicueta is the only player there that I think is great. Luiz is dodgy as hell usually, Cahill's a bit past it, Terry and Zouma barely played last year. However, they found something that mitigated Luiz's weaknesses, and went with it (after a while, they were crap at start of last season too).

We have the personnel for a good defence. Our problem is the system, and therefore the management/coaching of our defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On paper, that's actually not that strong. Azpilicueta is the only player there that I think is great. Luiz is dodgy as hell usually, Cahill's a bit past it, Terry and Zouma barely played last year. However, they found something that mitigated Luiz's weaknesses, and went with it (after a while, they were crap at start of last season too).

We have the personnel for a good defence. Our problem is the system, and therefore the management/coaching of our defence.
    It was strong enough to win the league last season and even two years before that. Even before Kante stood in front of them. They won nearly everything in the air, a battle we can't seem to win at all even against mediocre teams - remember the CL debacles too.

Azpiliqueata is a right back playing left back, Terry is old and was found out numerous times when he played last year, Luis can be very reckless at times and is often found out of position, Chelsea fans complain constantly about Cahill not nbeing good enough.

What the Chelsea defence had last year that Arsenal do not is Kante sitting in front of them.[/QUOTE]

AND when they won two years previously without Kante??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Saw this tweet in the Liverpool thread being tweeted by some lad with a Wenger profile pic which made me think maybe it'd apply to Arsenal a bit more
    According to L'Equipe, Draxler has been told he is no longer in PSG's plans for this season.

If he's unwanted maybe the price would not be extortionate and Arsenal have been interested before. Show ambition to Ozil/Sanchez or perhaps replace Sanchez a year early with his signing?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They actually had less depth that season than we do now from what I remember but had very few injuries. Also Matic was the stand out DM in the league that year much like Kante has been the last two seasons.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They actually had less depth that season than we do now from what I remember but had very few injuries. Also Matic was the stand out DM in the league that year much like Kante has been the last two seasons.

Yet they still were commanding in the box and very very consistent, something we never manage except when there's very little to play for of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I'd love Draxler with us and knowing Wenger he'd buy him quicker than buying a cb or cm which is obviously needed more, can see United going in for him instead of Perisic. 2 weeks left in the window and with this supposed clear out still to happen I think our business is done sadly unless Ox or Sanchez leaves. Would far prefer to keep Ox then Bellerin way rather him at rwb split opinions on this one for most fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

You've been watching Arsenal long enough to realise that we are not strong enough at the back to win a league. Surely you can see that.
    Just look at last season's winners, Chelsea, and tell me our defence is as strong as theirs was. Aspilaquerta, Cahill, Terry, Luiz, Zouma etc off the top of my head.

You saw what happened on Saturday when Cahill got sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Azpiliqueata is a right back playing left back, Terry is old and was found out numerous times when he played last year, Luis can be very reckless at times and is often found out of position, Chelsea fans complain constantly about Cahill not nbeing good enough.

What the Chelsea defence had last year that Arsenal do not is Kante sitting in front of them.[/QUOTE]

when Cahill and Terry were 2 years younger

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    You saw what happened on Saturday when Cahill got sent off?
    I thought he had left Chelsea??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I just wish the window was done and either way we could get on with things. I hate these 2 weeks of bullsh1t speculation and every hack trying to outdo the next one with their "sources" telling them who may be going somewhere

I thought he had left Chelsea??

Terry left.

Cahill got sent off in the first half, then they conceded 3 before half time.

(It's also worth pointing out the if Per hadn't been injured by him (accidentally, it has to be said) we wouldn't have conceded 3 to Leicester).

wonga77 wrote: »
    I just wish the window was done and either way we could get on with things. I hate these 2 weeks of bullsh1t speculation and every hack trying to outdo the next one with their "sources" telling them who may be going somewhere

It's so true. It drives me nuts. Makes no sense at all to start the season unsure what your team is going to look like for the season. Not just for us, for all the teams. Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd love Draxler with us and knowing Wenger he'd buy him quicker than buying a cb or cm which is obviously needed more, can see United going in for him instead of Perisic. 2 weeks left in the window and with this supposed clear out still to happen I think our business is done sadly unless Ox or Sanchez leaves. Would far prefer to keep Ox then Bellerin way rather him at rwb split opinions on this one for most fans.

I'd be very surprised if by the end of the window Perez, Debuchy, Wilshere and Walcott were all still Arsenal players

greendom wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if by the end of the window Perez, Debuchy, Wilshere and Walcott were all still Arsenal players

Walcott will be kept by Wenger. He sees something in him that most people don't. Very little interest in what we have for sale seemingly. They won't generate a lot of money even if they do go but will cut the wage bill.

Depth is one thing and good DM's are another but our wing backs failing to stop crosses being put in by turning their backs to the ball or not getting close enough to the attacker and CB's being all over the place when the ball arrives is another. We just do not have good defenders.

Walcott will be kept by Wenger. He sees something in him that most people don't. Very little interest in what we have for sale seemingly. They won't generate a lot of money even if they do go but will cut the wage bill.

Ill be really surprised if Wilshere goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ill be really surprised if Wilshere goes.

Il be gobsmacked if Walcott goes too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd love draxler hed fit in perfect

Still don't see the obsession with getting rid of Walcott. Right now he's a squad player, who will probably pitch in with 10 goals or so. If we are going to replace him, do we replace him with someone who goes into the starting lineup? If so, then who drops out of our current starting lineup?

If Walcott was on £60k/week, I don't think people would care. It seems to be his wages that annoy people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

salmocab wrote: »
    Just on Alexis, for me if we hold onto him for a season instead of cashing in now then we need to buy a couple of players to mount a serious title challenge. There is no point in holding onto him if its just to aim for fourth.

Spot on. If its his last year, FFS buy a couple of players and have a real go at it. Might convince him to extend this time next year. No point hanging on to him if we're holding our willies by January and staring at another battle for 3rd/4th.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Spot on. If its his last year, FFS buy a couple of players and have a real go at it. Might convince him to extend this time next year. No point hanging on to him if we're holding our willies by January and staring at another battle for 3rd/4th.

This is the season when we should be buying strong players and having a go.
    I though they would see that we needed more than the two they bought.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Still don't see the obsession with getting rid of Walcott. Right now he's a squad player, who will probably pitch in with 10 goals or so. If we are going to replace him, do we replace him with someone who goes into the starting lineup? If so, then who drops out of our current starting lineup?

If Walcott was on £60k/week, I don't think people would care. It seems to be his wages that annoy people.
    I don't think he'll be sold myself.
    I can't remember a game he changed when he was brought on but my memory is not what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Id def take Draxlar and some cash in exchange for Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Just heard on financial news on radio that the richest man in Africa gave an interview to Bloomberg.
    He is worth 12 billion and he wants to buy Arsenal and first thing he will do is fire Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

ronjo wrote:
    Just heard on financial news on radio that the richest man in Africa gave an interview to Bloomberg. He is worth 12 billion and he wants to buy Arsenal and first thing he will do is fire Wenger.

Be careful,I think he is a Nigerian prince that won the lottery and only after arsenals bank details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ronjo wrote: »
    Just heard on financial news on radio that the richest man in Africa gave an interview to Bloomberg.
    He is worth 12 billion and he wants to buy Arsenal and first thing he will do is BRING KANU BACK!

FIXED THAT FOR YOU

Much too quiet on the transfer front. Are we done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Much too quiet on the transfer front. Are we done?
    Yip.

I could've told ya that a few weeks ago. Apart from someone been thrown at us like apparently Draxler is, i can't see us doing anything else only getting rid of players for much less than they're worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Lemar was a big let down for me. Really expected to get him. Not a bad window in comparison, then again, we rarely get everything we desire as fans

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Reckon we'll see one more, maybe two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Reckon we'll see one more, maybe two.
    I'd love to be able to be that optimistic :o

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to be that optimistic :o

Not sure if it's optimism or just a fool's hope at this stage. There does tend to be a bit of a mad dash at the end of the window though and we have an occasional habit of signing players we were never linked with before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Deportivo coach has said the club president has 'promised' that Lucas will sign for them by next week, no mention of a fee yet.

Edit: According to the Mirror it's a loan with an obligation to buy for £10m next summer.

Our annual link with Draxler has surfaced!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

emmetlego wrote: »

Feels like it's going on for a decade now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

emmetlego wrote: »

Frey
    Thuram Davies Smalling
    Carvalho Rabiot
    Kalou Yaya Draxler
    Benzema Reus

Hell of a team we'll have at the end of the window.

Would Draxler be a big improvement on Ox? He doesn't score a lot either looking at his stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We all know that Costa is probably a bit of a dickhead off the pitch (assumption only) but whats happening there is very strange.

One season he is their top striker, and the next he is outcast or not wanted (assumption again)

Conte just laughed when asked about Costas interview in a presser today.

Regardless who they've brought in Chelsea won't be half the team they were last year without Matic and Costa. Things have gone a little quieter with Sanchez going to be a long 13 days 11hours and 50mins :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭yknaa

Would Draxler be a big improvement on Ox? He doesn't score a lot either looking at his stats.

Watched the Leicester game and thought the Ox picked up where he left off in the FA Cup final. Well impressed. Hope he stays.

But if Ox is moving on, Draxler makes sense! Therefore we won't be signing him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Anybody much rather keep A.O.C than signing Draxler?

Draxler in my mind is just a German A.O.C...feck all difference if anything I think Alex is better.

Edit: Homegrown too..for the quota...hows the quota looking? are we ok if we sold Wishere,Walcott and Ox?

Even though I don't rate Ox to the point where we absolutely have to keep him, he has got into a position where he has one year left on his contract, he has no clear role in the team, and other English clubs are sniffing around.

At the very least, he will be getting a very tidy pay bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Draxler would be a great signing.

I'm disappointed with the window so far. We havent done an awful lot to persuade Alexis to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Draxler is miles better than Oxlade-Chamberlain. Like, leagues better. Would AOC get in the German starting XI? Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Draxler is miles better than Oxlade-Chamberlain. Like, leagues better. Would AOC get in the German starting XI? Nope.

Does Draxler get a starting spot in the German team?

Your probably right,I just think that Draxler hasnt really done anything of note since his burst on the scene season a few years back when we were first linked with him.

A bit like Ox(granted he didnt really burst on the scene but you know what I mean..hopefully:o)

Paul Merson dissapointed Arsenal didn't sign Gareth Barry? maybe 3 or 4 years ago but come out of it mers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Gabriel confirmed by Arsenal, gone to Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gabriel confirmed by Arsenal, gone to Valencia.

Reporting Mustafi is being chased by Inter. Would be very surprised if we sold him although we might take a refund

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement