Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wenger really is just winging it. He talked crap about change this summer, all for the media to feed the fans.

It's the same old crap, same old problems is he even trying to make us better? This is the same Arsenal team playing the same way with the same softness and lack of desire as any of the last 10 seasons, no sign of a tactic or belief that says we want to win the League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Basil3 wrote: »
    Ox....

Two guys charging through on goal, so he takes an aimless shot. Frustrating.

Come on Theo. Hat-trick time.

Both players mentioned in this comment shouldn't be in the club never mind the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

WHAT A TACKLE MUSTAFI HAVE ITTTT !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Desperate game. This is woeful. Anybody ever tell Ox to play to the whistle?

Dodgy enough tackle there from Mustafi

pudzey101 wrote: »

Exactly. Screw them. Ox wasn't given a foul 5 seconds before then, so they can cry all they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

gitzy16v wrote: »
    As stupid as xhaka was it shouldn't be a.goal every time he loses the ball..defence is just woeful.

To go charging after the ball after giving it away, taking himself out of the game is headless chicken stuff. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

How is that a foul? Keepers get ridiculous protection

Giroud heads it down to straight in front of goal. Lacazette lashes it in.

Oh, that's right....he's sitting on the bench now.

Fcukin hate this team under Wenger. He works for mediocre no interest in us being winners.

I'm going for a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

This Stoke team are terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

What was Wenger at with that starting 11

Fed up with the season already

Brain dead ox

What a play from Ox...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hello darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Get used to this. 2 more years ffs

Same ole story, strange decisions by Wenger. Taking off Lacazette and leaving on Welbeck was crazy. Walcott hardly touched the ball after his introduction.
    I wouldn't mind but Stoke are sh1te. Gonna be more of the same this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Same old same old. This is gonna be a long long season

Plays two full backs as centre backs

A right back at LWB

A Midfielder at RWB

And as for the subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Powder puff defence again.
    Powder puff manager.
    Danny Welbeck :pac::pac: sums up everything about Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Plays two full backs as centre backs

A right back at LWB

A Midfielder at RWB

And as for the subs

We had 3 left backs at one stage.:pac: Kolasinac, Monrael and then Ox. Even Bellerin went to that side during the game.
    Wenger has really lost the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What a sh*t show from Wenger. This season will go exactly how we knew it would.

What is up with our defenders backing off and allowing them to stroll into the box? Painful.
    Thought you were happy with our defence :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We had 3 left backs at one stage.:pac: Kolasinac, Monrael and then Ox. Even Bellerin went to that side during the game.
    Wenger has really lost the plot.

Bellerin was there all game! Bit weird I thought.

Ozil was muck, needs to play much much better. When's Sanchez back, save us Alexis

Thought you were happy with our defence :pac:

I hoped it would improve with the return of Mustafi, Mert and Kos. No idea why we weren't using Mert.

Not expecting much from the next 2 years and I just gets on with things

But when he puts out teams like that it really pisses me off

• Advertisement

I hoped it would improve with the return of Mustafi, Mert and Kos. No idea why we weren't using Mert.

Cause he wants to keep ox happy

Well it didn't last season when they were all fit.
    As I said often enough here - we have very poor defenders.

Well it didn't last season when they were all fit.
    As I said often enough here - we have very poor defenders.

Mertesacker was injured pretty much all last season. He came back and played the FA Cup final and had a blinder. At least he can read the game and win headers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Bellerin was there all game! Bit weird I thought.

Ozil was muck, needs to play much much better. When's Sanchez back, save us Alexis

Ozil played well imo, created a number of good chances and didn't give the ball away as many times as last week. He was our best player today.

Terrible result obviously but I don't think we were as bad as people are making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Piss poor altogether

• Advertisement

New season, same Arsenal.

Ozil played well imo, created a number of good chances and didn't give the ball away as many times as last week. He was our best player today.

Terrible result obviously but I don't think we were as bad as people are making out.

I think there are some promising aspects. Ramsey has given us an extra dimension in attack. It was a shame some of our nicer plays didn't come off.

Mertesacker was injured pretty much all last season. He came back and played the FA Cup final and had a blinder. At least he can read the game and win headers.
    He is in his last year. He won't play many games. We should be searching for a new CB now. We are a soft touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I just cant believe that performance and this club at the minute, we dodged a bullet against a Leicester on Friday which should have bucked us up but not with this manager. On what planet does Wenger think Monreal is even remotely capable at CB, I never taught I would be praying for Johnny Evans or the like at CB even Gabriel would be a better fit at CB but my god we are gonna get some shock this year. The whole balance of the team is so terrible even the players have no confidence in each others game, that really was an abysmal performance against a really poor Stoke team.

I really really cant blame Sanchez for looking to leave Arsenal I really cant, nobody and I mean nobody played well enough today for a jersey. Not only are we not progressing under Wenger I really feel we are re-gressing deffo going backwards.

We are such a laughing stock we really are......

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I just cant believe that performance and this club at the minute, we dodged a bullet against a Leicester on Friday which should have bucked us up but not with this manager. On what planet does Wenger think Monreal is even remotely capable at CB, I never taught I would be praying for Johnny Evans or the like at CB even Gabriel would be a better fit at CB but my god we are gonna get some shock this year. The whole balance of the team is so terrible even the players have no confidence in each others game, that really was an abysmal performance against a really poor Stoke team.

I really really cant blame Sanchez for looking to leave Arsenal I really cant, nobody and I mean nobody played well enough today for a jersey. Not only are we not progressing under Wenger I really feel we are re-gressing deffo going backwards.

We are such a laughing stock we really are......
    It's been that way for years now.
    Wenger is very brazen. He will stick it our for the two years and maybe longer.

pudzey101 wrote: »

Yeah it was a perfect tackle. Those imbeciles are well able to whinge when its up them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Yeah it was a perfect tackle. Those imbeciles are well able to whinge when its up them.

At least we didnt put it out of play for them this time..thats about the only positive today

It's the same stupid brainless defending year after year,no matter who's playing.

2 games in an it's already looking like nothing has changed.

Lacazette is brilliant,I really like him already but no way is he going to get us near the top of the league unless something miraculous happens to this shambolic defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Was Holding injured or something that he wasn't starting ahead of Monreal? I know he had a poor game last week, but one game does not make a player and he'd surely still be picked ahead of the left back who can barely defend even in his natural position.

I don't get why we're playing 3 at the back at all. Like, what's the plan going forward? Just have a fullback filling in as a centre back for the entire season or rely on Holding????

Was Holding injured or something that he wasn't starting ahead of Monreal? I know he had a poor game last week, but one game does not make a player and he'd surely still be picked ahead of the left back who can barely defend even in his natural position.

I don't get why we're playing 3 at the back at all. Like, what's the plan going forward? Just have a fullback filling in as a centre back for the entire season or rely on Holding????

I suspect we'll see our 'A' formation and lineup next weekend for Liverpool, with Kos and Sanchez back. If it were me, I'd go:

Mustafi/Kos/Monreal or Kos/Mert/Monreal at the back
    Bellerin and Kolasinac wing backs
    Ramsey and Xhaka in the middle
    Ozil/Laca/Sanchez front 3.

Who knows what Wenger will do, though.

We really could do with another quality cb but no matter who is playing at the back we will concede goals if Xhaka does what he did for that goal. We have no balance in midfield at all, it was the same last week with Elneny in there. The 3-5-2 doesn't work as well without a proper defensive midfielder.

• Advertisement

The game next week could be rough.

The game next week could be rough.

In fairness we both have the same problems, Liverpool are probably even worse than us at the back. Hopefully Sanchez is back and our front 3 will be a nightmare for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

New season, same Arsenal.

Where we expecting anything different :(

Once I saw the slow right wing to middle to left wing crappy possession football with no end result we played the last few seasons in the last 20 minutes of tonight's game, I knew for certain it's going to be a tough season ahead. We were the better team tonight but we were huffing and puffing once again, not having answers to Stokes defence. Stoke are bang average, I'm scared what a good side like Liverpool will do to this side up in Anfield next Sunday. That's even with Alexis and Kos back in the side.

I know some of his defenders will say "it's only one game" but I don't see this been a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Second game of the season is the new first.

Nothing really to add to what's already been said. We're underprepared, badly coached and still weak. A team that was miles off the pace last year has not shown much improvement. A bloated squad packed with mediocrity that won't be shifted due to a board holding out for fees they wouldn't sanction if they were doing the buying. A manager that sells a CB, leaves 3 out of the team so he can play 2 LBs at centre half. A team that finishes the game with 7 players out of position.

And the biggest thrill of all is that we have 2 more years of this shıte to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

In fairness we both have the same problems, Liverpool are probably even worse than us at the back. Hopefully Sanchez is back and our front 3 will be a nightmare for them.

Remember they have some great forwards too especially Mane (probably one of the more underrated players in the league for me) who ripped us apart last season and looks on top form already this season, with that Anfield crowd behind them on Sunday could see it been tough going. I hope for our sakes we do turn up and Alexis has a worldly along with our defence, cause I could see the fans getting restless again if we lose again add on if AW doesn't sign any more players too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Our fondness of starting games slowly will hurt us against the Stealers. Their front 3 are so mobile, it could be a long afternoon. We're going to struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Cant disagree with anything imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah, the ones the got away -

I think Fabregas hurt the most, even though there was an inevitability about it. How he'd progressed from a youngster with a bad mullet into a real world class player and then to have him just leave was just a heart-breaker. I still remember with great fondness - love even - him scoring that penalty with a broken leg against Barca in that 2-2 draw at home in the 2010 Champions League and then spending the remaining few minutes of the match on the pitch, barely able to walk, as Arsenal, improbably, tried to win that game. What a man, I thought, he loves Arsenal this lad.

Little over a year later he was gone. It stung that one, because there was love there with Fabregas and, for a while, after he'd left you could feel it: the heart was gone from the team. I think he'll eventually be remembered as a proper Arsenal legend, but to see him currently running around the field for Chelsea feels all wrong - I understand rationally how and why he's there, but on an emotional level I just think, oh Cesc, how did it come to this?

Van Persie was a sickener too, but I think there was no stopping Van Persie: he wanted to go. His behaviour during that summer was admittedly not great, but what can you do? It felt a bit frustrating because I can remember knowing, without any doubt, since about 05 that Van Persie was an absolutely outstanding player, but I had a hard time convincing anyone that didn't support Arsenal of this - he was just out injured too much for people even to remember him most of the time. So whenever he'd come back and be his ordinary brilliant best, it felt like a personal vindication of my faith. Then he came back once more from injury and played out of skin for eighteen months. Then he left: bollocks anyway. I will admit that I loved watching him play, even if it was for United; he was just too good of a football player.

Nasri? Ah whatever. Nasri had one amazing half season, but his attitude always stank. He was one of those who I put up with because he played for Arsenal, but, I knew, deep down, that if he played for anyone else I'd hate the sight of him. I'm pretty sure something would have eventually happened that would have swiftly ended his Arsenal, even if City had never arrived with their oily cash.

Adebayor: great player on his day, but sh*tty attitude. I don't know if it would have really worked out.

Hleb: that one felt crappy. Hleb was class, if a little unproductive. I remember him being a vital component of that 07/08 side and that teams eventual soul crushing failure, being perfectly encapsulated in Hleb f*cking of to Barca. He'd been so good for the first half of that season and then, in the end, his departure was so underwhelming: remember, he got a three game suspension for stupidly slapping some nobody in a FA Cup game against Reading. And that was that. After all the hope and promise of the season, he belted some journeyman in an easy-peasy cup tie and never played for the club again. I don't blame him for wanting to try his luck with Barca, but did he honestly think he was going to be a roaring suceess there? With the midfield they had at that time? Within two years he was togging out for for those well known purveyors of champagne football - Birmingham City; Hleb, you ejit. He's said it himself that he regrets leaving, but I suppose we all regret a lot of things Alex.

Agree with above CESC always wanted to return to Barc his local club who he came to Arsenal from,played for arsenal and the others played for themselves and thought they were better players than they were and in the end it was all about money,

As for present how can Steve bould be getting away at arsenal as coach with such a very poor defence and he come from our best defence of all time, the CB at the club are so poorly coached,

As for the fringe players being moved on, who would buy any of them Gibbs,debauchy,Walcott, Wiltshire etc, you wouldn't give them away in a lucky bag. The one player I feel sorry for is Campbell he tried hard and arsene seems to have him.

Cant disagree with anything imo

Ah, I have no problem finding things to disagree about with anything anyone says :D

The whole CB thing does my nut in. Complaining that we weren't playing proper CB's on the tour of Australia, and we should have gone out and bought an extra one. We were missing 3-4 CB's on that tour....you don't go out and spend £50m on a CB to cover preseason and the first 2 matches of the season.

I'm not saying we wouldn't benefit from bringing in a proven CB, but we would benefit just as much by playing the players we have available in their proper positions, and not generally playing like muppets.

On top of that, the whole Virgin van Dijk thing is just people latching on to the latest name being thrown about. I can't remember anyone saying that we absolutely had to sign him last season, so why is he the saviour to all our problems all of a sudden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ah, I have no problem finding things to disagree about with anything anyone says :D

The whole CB thing does my nut in. Complaining that we weren't playing proper CB's on the tour of Australia, and we should have gone out and bought an extra one. We were missing 3-4 CB's on that tour....you don't go out and spend £50m on a CB to cover preseason and the first 2 matches of the season.

I'm not saying we wouldn't benefit from bringing in a proven CB, but we would benefit just as much by playing the players we have available in their proper positions, and not generally playing like muppets.

On top of that, the whole Virgin van Dijk thing is just people latching on to the latest name being thrown about. I can't remember anyone saying that we absolutely had to sign him last season, so why is he the saviour to all our problems all of a sudden?

Because if we sign Van Dijk, Wenger will play him CDM and he will still probably be better than what we have :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement