Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

[QUOTE=Basil3;104431176

On top of that, the whole Virgin van Dijk thing is just people latching on to the latest name being thrown about. I can't remember anyone saying that we absolutely had to sign him last season, so why is he the saviour to all our problems all of a sudden?[/QUOTE]

Its not that he is our saviour all of a sudden, its the fact that he is a very good powerful CB that would greatly improve our squad and he is available to buy right now despite what Southampton say.

This is not only the players fault, they can only perform what they are told to do and play in a tactic enforced on them. Its Wengers attitude and tactics being enforced which are so tired and old at this stage.....I think he is in the early stages of dementia or the like.

Funny thing is, its like we are brainwashed that he absolutely has to serve out this contract!!! Get rid now and save the season, and put the mediocrity that we are deffo destined for this season down to a change in manager.

I would swallow that....I really would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Anybody else feel they should go all out in the Europa League? I think the team is capable of finishing top 4 but that's the peak of their ambitions in the league. Should still be able to finish top 4 even with a massive push in the Europa League. What did the lads on MOTD say? I thought Laca's goal should have stood and we definitely should have had 1, if not 2 pens. Still not good enough to be honest, but when those kind of things don't go your way then it becomes very difficult. Especially away from home!

Stat|2017/18|2016/17|Diff
    Corresponding points|3|6|-3
    Projected points|72|75|-3
    Scored 3 or more|1|14*|-13
    Won by 3 or more|0|7*|-7
    Clean sheets|0|13*|-13

*over full season

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its not that he is our saviour all of a sudden, its the fact that he is a very good powerful CB that would greatly improve our squad and he is available to buy right now despite what Southampton say.

This is not only the players fault, they can only perform what they are told to do and play in a tactic enforced on them. Its Wengers attitude and tactics being enforced which are so tired and old at this stage.....I think he is in the early stages of dementia or the like.

Funny thing is, its like we are brainwashed that he absolutely has to serve out this contract!!! Get rid now and save the season, and put the mediocrity that we are deffo destined for this season down to a change in manager.

I would swallow that....I really would.

Well based on that, any CB is available to buy right now. The only reason we are talking about him is because Liverpool tapped him up. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This gave me a good laugh.
    Wenger thinks that the defending has to improve :pac: Well holy moly.
    What has Le Fraud been watching for the last 7/8 years?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10997671/arsene-wenger-critical-of-arsenals-defending-at-stoke

If that clown Welbeck starts next week then I give up. He's useless, totally useless and how he was left on yesterday amazes and really worries me.

We are a total mess of a club under Wenger.

This gave me a good laugh.
    Wenger thinks that the defending has to improve :pac: Well holy moly.
    What has Le Fraud been watching for the last 7/8 years?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10997671/arsene-wenger-critical-of-arsenals-defending-at-stoke

If that clown Welbeck starts next week then I give up. He's useless, totally useless and how he was left on yesterday amazes and really worries me.

We are a total mess of a club under Wenger.

I said years ago he wasn't good enough. It's so obvious that he should be absolutely nowhere near our team.

• Advertisement

Logic says Welbeck drops out and Sanchez comes in.

Wenger says Welbeck stays in and Sanchez plays CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Taking off Lacazette and leaving Welbeck on was only one of a few very odd decisions yesterday. Is there any suggested time back for Sanchez?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Taking off Lacazette and leaving Welbeck on was only one of a few very odd decisions yesterday. Is there any suggested time back for Sanchez?

This weekend.... He's already back in full training

I said years ago he wasn't good enough. It's so obvious that he should be absolutely nowhere near our team.

I'd say he needs help tying his laces.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Off topic but can anyone inform me as to what it is that Spurs have done to warrant the fawning and arśe licking they get from the media? They've won nothing in years and you could count on one had the amount of times they've qualified for the CL. They were poor today, they tend to get very snide and cheaty when things don't go their way, and their lack of activity on transfers has been met with universal praise when Wenger was bullfúcked by everyone for years for keeping Arsenal going on a shoestring. Not to mention finally finishing ahead of us for the first time in 20 years seemed to be the equivalent of winning the World Cup with San Marino.

It's probably coz their Spurs but it's pretty incredible the easy ride they seem to get despite achieving the square root of fúck all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

keano_afc wrote: »
    Off topic but can anyone inform me as to what it is that Spurs have done to warrant the fawning and arśe licking they get from the media? They've won nothing in years and you could count on one had the amount of times they've qualified for the CL. They were poor today, they tend to get very snide and cheaty when things don't go their way, and their lack of activity on transfers has been met with universal praise when Wenger was bullfúcked by everyone for years for keeping Arsenal going on a shoestring. Not to mention finally finishing ahead of us for the first time in 20 years seemed to be the equivalent of winning the World Cup with San Marino.

It's probably coz their Spurs but it's pretty incredible the easy ride they seem to get despite achieving the square root of fúck all.

They're not Arsenal simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I think a lot of it comes from them having Englands two best young players. I still don't understand the medias love for them though, everything you say above is correct but the media love Spurs for it. I'm looking forward to the time when their big players actually want a proper pay rise when some of the big clubs show interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I rewatched the game this evening and I think Ozil played fairly well, created 2 very good chances that really should have been scored. On the first viewing I thought he was bad but he actually had a very positive impact on the game.

I rewatched the game this evening and I think Ozil played fairly well, created 2 very good chances that really should have been scored. On the first viewing I thought he was bad but he actually had a very positive impact on the game.

I said it after the game yesterday that he was our best player, hopefully with Lacazette and Sanchez with him up top from now on more of the chances he creates will be converted.

There was a good post and video about his play yesterday posted on reddit earlier.

https://vimeo.com/230304841
    From Arseblog
    93 – Özil completed an astonishing 91 of 98 passes, 93%! Ozil also had 4 key passes on the day. I include this for comparison, because while Ramsey completed a terrific number of his passes in a forward position, Özil somehow bettered him.
    0 – Turnovers by Özil. I know I have criticized Ozil for his defence in the past but that’s really just me grumbling about Wenger’s “Total Football” system which seems to “totally abandon balance.” Watching today’s match I was struck by how elegant Özil is with the ball. Without even looking like he did anything special, he completed more passes (91) than anyone on the pitch and led Arsenal with those 4 key passes mentioned earlier. He also didn’t surrender possession with a bad touch or a failed dribble even once. AND he didn’t get the ball tackled off his foot while standing still. Meanwhile, Ramsey, Bellerin and Ox all lost possession 5 times each (worst at Arsenal and tied with Shaqiri) and even Xhaka – who is supposed to be Arsenal’s deep lying playmaker and one of the most careful with the ball – turned it over 4 times. Amazingly tidy performance from Arsenal’s best playmaker. My only question would be.. why isn’t Arsenal’s best playmaker getting more of the ball? I’d really love to see what he could do with Lacazette in front of him and a nice stable center mid pairing behind him. I think he’d be perfect in the Bergkamp role in the old Arsenal 442.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They always try and play nice football. We're dogshít to watch most of the time.

A core of 'talented' British players will always give you acclaim. Your right about Spurs, they have won sweet FA despite all the fawning about them.

That said though, i honestly believe that there is a loser culture within our own club which in equal measure has been implemented by both Kroenke, the board, and Wenger.

They always try and play nice football. We're dogshít to watch most of the time.

We over complicate life on ourselves. We should be far quicker in our delivery and far more direct. Our football at the moment is a vanity project of the manager who seems to be using the club as an experimentation of his crazy deluded ideas of how football should be played.

Always "try" which would lead me to think that they don't, most clubs try to play good football

Our football at the moment is a vanity project of the manager who seems to be using the club as an experimentation of his crazy deluded ideas of how football should be played.

Oddly enough Wenger hasn't had original idea in years.

Some 10 days left in the transfer window. Im hoping rather than expecting we still get someone. Pinning our hopes on Kos (almost 32 and injury prone) and Per (almost 33 and spent the last season out injured) Mustafi, Chambers and Holding or else playing lads like Nacho out of place is a recipe for problems.
    Still no word on the likes of Debuchy, Perez, Gibbs, Wilshere etc. Will they all be kept?
    Im gonna assume that the Lemar link is done

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Some 10 days left in the transfer window. Im hoping rather than expecting we still get someone. Pinning our hopes on Kos (almost 32 and injury prone) and Per (almost 33 and spent the last season out injured) Mustafi, Chambers and Holding or else playing lads like Nacho out of place is a recipe for problems.
    Still no word on the likes of Debuchy, Perez, Gibbs, Wilshere etc. Will they all be kept?
    Im gonna assume that the Lemar link is done

Yes it has really become a sh1tstorm.
    Nobody wants to join the sinking ship and nobody wants to take our for sale players.
    And Wenger says he can't buy until he sells.
    We're goosed.

Wenger has had TOTAL control over everything with this club, now he is moaning that he has too many players that are in essence not good enough and that he cant buy until he sells, who's fault is that I wonder ffs????

He brought these players to the club and now starts making stupid excuses, I for one would have sold Welbeck and kept Perez. If he was given the same game time as Welbeck he would be getting goals......

I also would have kept Gabriel unless he has a game plan to get someone in before the window shuts but I HIGHLY doubt it.

Jenkinson off to Birmingham on a season long loan.

Calm down, people. At worst, we'll loan players out. Plenty of time for crying in 10 days time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I didn't see the Stoke game but we were playing some lovely stuff against Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I thought at the start of the Stoke game we were playing nice football but didnt have any really good chances, I like Giroud up front as he can be quite a direct player and gets his shots away.

greendom wrote: »
    I didn't see the Stoke game but we were playing some lovely stuff against Leicester.

And we played some good stuff against Stoke too, it's hard to do anything when Stoke play with 10 men behind the ball. Its not helpful either when Welbeck was at the end of so many of the moves.

greendom wrote: »

We always play some "lovely stuff". BUT conceding 3 goals at home we don't do "lovely defending". Our defence is our foundation, without a good one the building crumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yes it has really become a sh1tstorm.
    Nobody wants to join the sinking ship and nobody wants to take our for sale players.
    And Wenger says he can't buy until he sells.
    We're goosed.

What a laugh. Wenger can't even do housekeeping anymore. We stuck with a load of poor players that nobody wants and he can't buy new, ( not that he would anyway), because he has not sold. It's hard to believe such incompetence. Arsenal have had since May to get its house in order for the new season. It's not only the same old Arsenal, it is and then some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    What a laugh. Wenger can't even do housekeeping anymore. We stuck with a load of poor players that nobody wants and he can't buy new, ( not that he would anyway), because he has not sold. It's hard to believe such incompetence. Arsenal have had since May to get its house in order for the new season. It's not only the same old Arsenal, it is and then some.

I haven't even seen enough of half the players he's trying to get rid of. I'd like to see Perez ahead of Danny for a start. He seems to buy some players and instantly dislike them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I haven't even seen enough of half the players he's trying to get rid of. I'd like to see Perez ahead of Danny for a start. He seems to buy some players and instantly dislike them.

A lot of comment from those with sources inside the club say that Perez was not Wenger's buy, that Gazidis bought him, and it was a stand-off between Wenger and Gazidis. He is apparently not a Wenger player... But Danny Welbeck is! :confused:

Also, I see Nasri has left city for Antalyaspor in Turkey. They're welcome to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

For the past 6-7 seasons I've gone to 2/3 games a year. Last year it was only one, this year I'm not overly pushed about booking a trip over anytime soon. I guess there's only so much of the same thing year in year out you can accept.

For the past 6-7 seasons I've gone to 2/3 games a year. Last year it was only one, this year I'm not overly pushed about booking a trip over anytime soon. I guess there's only so much of the same thing year in year out you can accept.

I'm expecting things to actually get worse.
    We will play teams who are far better than Leicester and Stoke. They all know our weakness and the so-called minnows will get in our faces and pack their defences like Stoke did. The better teams with better midfielders will over-run us and as we've seen over recent years there's not much fight in our players when it comes down to a battle. We have no leaders either.
    I'd love to be positive but from what i've seen so far, and I admit it's only two games, i'm not a bit optimistic. Nothing seems to change under Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm expecting things to actually get worse.
    We will play teams who are far better than Leicester and Stoke. They all know our weakness and the so-called minnows will get in our faces and pack their defences like Stoke did. The better teams with better midfielders will over-run us and as we've seen over recent years there's not much fight in our players when it comes down to a battle. We have no leaders either.
    I'd love to be positive but from what i've seen so far, and I admit it's only two games, i'm not a bit optimistic. Nothing seems to change under Wenger.
    There'll be the usual people saying "leave it till the transfer window closes before ya judge", then when it shuts we'll be told "shur, who could we have bought" etc., and "the windows closed now, we might aswell get behind him" etc. Happens on a yearly basis on here with certain lads. :rolleyes:

Quazzie wrote: »
    There'll be the usual people saying "leave it till the transfer window closes before ya judge", then when it shuts we'll be told "shur, who could we have bought" etc., and "the windows closed now, we might aswell get behind him" etc. Happens on a yearly basis on here with certain lads. :rolleyes:

And there will be the usual people moaning about everything all the time and doing the old rolleyes at those who don't join in on the fun and games :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We always play some "lovely stuff". BUT conceding 3 goals at home we don't do "lovely defending". Our defence is our foundation, without a good one the building crumbles.

Do we always play lovely stuff??

In the past I would deffo agree, even in defeat we could play very well. We played some lovely stuff when we had Bergkamp, Pires, Ljunberg, Viera & company but to be totally honest I am sick to the back teeth of this "window wiper" football we play lately....

Side to side passing with very little penetration...and this is even against the lower league side. Remember playing schoolboy football and all the shouts from the sidelines from mad aul lads "GET IT IN THE BOX FFS".....

Thats is what Arsenal do, side to side and a ball crossed into the box even if the move is not on!! Crossing the ball for the sake of it....and the standard of crossing from the team is woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Martin Keown after ripping Ozil a new one . http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/638901/Arsenal-Mesut-Ozil-frustrating-Martin-Keown-Stoke-Martin-Keown-Gossip-News

Its players like him and Vieira that had the fight to win , is what were really missing :)

Word is Sanchez isn't handing in a transfer request, and will stay for this year, but won't sign another contract and will move for free next year.

Word is Sanchez isn't handing in a transfer request, and will stay for this year, but won't sign another contract and will move for free next year.

Hasn't this been the story all along?

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Martin Keown after ripping Ozil a new one . http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/638901/Arsenal-Mesut-Ozil-frustrating-Martin-Keown-Stoke-Martin-Keown-Gossip-News

Its players like him and Vieira that had the fight to win , is what were really missing :)

How many chances did he create that others ****ed up? If they didn't blow their load when in scoring positions pundits would be saying how good Özil is. I don't listen to any if their crap talk

• Advertisement

It has always been that way BUT i'm waiting for the news before the Liverpool game that "his injury is worse than expected and he's still out".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If Sanchez and Ozil (and Ox for that matter) don't want to sign new deals and they say they are going to leave next year for free we should sell them now.

It's ****e but it makes no senses to lose 100+m for 1 more half arsed year from either when they don't want to be there. Sell them now and drive change with new replacement.

The club does need to ask itself serious questions about why these players don't want to commit to a club like Arsenal? Since Veira and Henry leaving it had been a steady flow and reoccurrence of our top players seeing their ambitions only being met elsewhere.

Sell them now replace them now and try use the next two years. Alternative is we get messed about this season and have to start a rebuild (transition) next year.

Someone in the club needs to grow a set of balls and try make this a club top players want to play for by trying to actually fcukin compete

Soups123 wrote: »
    If Sanchez and Ozil (and Ox for that matter) don't want to sign new deals and they say they are going to leave next year for free we should sell them now.

It's ****e but it makes no senses to lose 100+m for 1 more half arsed year from either when they don't want to be there. Sell them now and drive change with new replacement.

The club does need to ask itself serious questions about why these players don't want to commit to a club like Arsenal? Since Veira and Henry leaving it had been a steady flow and reoccurrence of our top players seeing their ambitions only being met elsewhere.

Sell them now replace them now and try use the next two years. Alternative is we get messed about this season and have to start a rebuild (transition) next year.

Someone in the club needs to grow a set of balls and try make this a club top players want to play for by trying to actually fcukin compete
    Every top player who came to Arsenal in the last 7/8 years didn't take long to see the lack of ambition from Board and manager. They didn't stay because they wanted to win things bigger than a feckin' FA Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Every top player who came to Arsenal in the last 7/8 years didn't take long to see the lack of ambition from Board and manager. They didn't stay because they wanted to win things bigger than a feckin' FA Cup.

Completely agree. This club reeks of mediocre, getting to this point now where we could see Sanchez, Wilshere, Ozil, Ox and Gibbs all walk away for free is a shocking indictments of how club affairs are managed.

You just don't see this at other big clubs, you protect your assets so they are always sellable if no longer needed.

I'm at such a low point with this club now, just don't see the point in supporting something that doesn't strive to be as successful as it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Watching the u23 game nelson looks some player

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Wilshere sent off for u23s- at first glance it seems he was a bit unlucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wilshere looked sharp for the u23s, time to get him back in the squad. 4 goals in 2 games for Nelson too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Tbf it was a dangerous tackle and i see why Wilshere went ballistic! Who was that Man city player who went to him? haha irks me when someone does that and needs to be involved lol

The standard push in the chest - go down holding the face
    I like Jack, he has passion for the club anyway

https://twitter.com/MysticMO11/status/899715016512950274

Am I right in saying that Arsene reverted to a 4-4-2 when chasing the game against Leicester and Stoke?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement