Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

L'prof wrote: »
    Notions of winning the league are fanciful at best

In the last 6 years they've finished 19, 16, 7, 12, 10 & 18 points behind the eventual winners. With opposition looking stronger than ever it will take about 85-90 points to win the league. Arsenal just don't have that in them

Certainly not as we stand but it's every fans ambition to win it.
    We won't even make Top 5 this season imo unless we have major change.
    I predicted last season and the one before that we will never win it again under Wenger. I see no reason to change my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think we're at least 4/5 years away from realistically challenging for it, never mind winning it. Not a chance on AW's watch will we challenge, so thats 2 years gone straight off, at least 1 season of sorting out the mess he'll leave if he does go after the 2 years and 2 years (at best) to build a team to challenge... IMO thats a best case scenario and could take a lot longer in reality depending on how the world of football develops in that time.
    I expect the club to never win the league whilst Kroenke is involved.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I think one of my biggest problems with Arsenal this year is the quality of the squad. I think the first team are capable of doing well this year but if any one of them get injured we are in serious trouble.

It possibly goes beyond that too though. If we need someone to come on and make a change or make an impact we have Giroud up front, maybe Iwobi in midfield (Cazorla if he was fit) and maybe Mert in defence.

Outside of that though you are relying on the likes of Welbeck or Walcott to come on and make a difference and they usually have a hard enough time making an impact over 90 minutes, never mind 20.

There are a few youngsters that I would have hopes for in the future like Nelson or Holding but if we want to challenge, we need to be able to bring on someone who can change a game with 20 minutes to go or if there is an injury have the same effect over the course of an entire game.

All you have to do is look at the drop off in talent between Sanchez and whoever replaces him if he gets injured to understand what I mean. We need someone who is constantly pushing for a place in the first 11 in every position and we are still a long way off that.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Do you think making no more signings would make us able to win the EPL?

My point is that some people can think that signing one or two players will make is have a chance of winning, whereas not signing them will make us struggle to make the top 4. I know there's fine margins, but I don't think it's that simple.

farna_boy wrote: »
    All you have to do is look at the drop off in talent between Sanchez and whoever replaces him if he gets injured to understand what I mean. We need someone who is constantly pushing for a place in the first 11 in every position and we are still a long way off that.

Look at recent champions. Was this the case? How big was the drop from Costa to the next striker in queue? Hazard? Kante?

Same could be said for Leicester the year before.

Most important thing is getting a starting 11 that clicks, builds momentum, and avoids injuries.

Basil3 wrote: »
    My point is that some people can think that signing one or two players will make is have a chance of winning, whereas not signing them will make us struggle to make the top 4. I know there's fine margins, but I don't think it's that simple.

What do you think we need to do to win it? You didn't answer the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Do you think signing a CB and a midfielder would make us able to win the EPL?
    You shouldn't answer a question with a question. It's bad manners.

But i guess you already knew that

What do you think we need to do to win it? You didn't answer the last time.

Score more league points than any other team in a season.

Quazzie wrote: »
    You shouldn't answer a question with a question. It's bad manners.

But i guess you already knew that

It was a rhetorical question, I figured....and it wasn't directed at me.

Score more league points than any other team in a season.

Right :D.
    So how do we do that?
    Are you happy with the squad at present?
    Do you think we need players / get rid of players?
    Expand a bit.

• Advertisement

It was a rhetorical question, I figured....and it wasn't directed at me.
    Why did you reply to it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I smell a row brewing

I thought all the nit picking was gone since the other lad left!!!

emmetlego wrote: »
    I smell a row brewing

I thought all the nit picking was gone since the other lad left!!!

The "other lad" has many faces.

The "other lad" has many faces.
    :D

To be fair I don't think Basil is one

Quazzie wrote: »
    :D

To be fair I don't think Basil is one

Me neither. It's all this Game of Thrones melarkey. I feel like Little Finger is on Boards.

Right :D.
    So how do we do that?
    Are you happy with the squad at present?
    Do you think we need players / get rid of players?
    Expand a bit.

I think the squad can always be improved, but I don't think there's a major weakness in any one area.

Clearly, we need to get rid of players from a numbers point of view, but I don't believe we should get rid of players for the sake of it.

I would just like to see us play players in their logical positions for a while, and see how we go. I feel like I can't even get a feel for how we are looking right now, because we're into the 3rd week of the Premier League and this weekend is the closest we will get to fielding something like our strongest side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We're an absolute shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Me neither. It's all this Game of Thrones melarkey. I feel like Little Finger is on Boards.

Maybe it's me

uZWezPw.gif

I think the squad can always be improved, but I don't think there's a major weakness in any one area.

Clearly, we need to get rid of players from a numbers point of view, but I don't believe we should get rid of players for the sake of it.

I would just like to see us play players in their logical positions for a while, and see how we go. I feel like I can't even get a feel for how we are looking right now, because we're into the 3rd week of the Premier League and this weekend is the closest we will get to fielding something like our strongest side.
    Sunday is the big day.
    I think our defence has been rubbish for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Sunday is the big day.
    I think our defence has been rubbish for a long time now.

Liverpool defence is as piss poor as ours, so it could be a free for all, but I'm more confident if kos starts

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

We'll be lucky to finish top 4 again. Firstly, we haven't a keeper that will earn us 9-12 points a season. Secondly, our midfield is too lightweight and finally there is no balance to the team (which is down to AW). Players being played out of position, no leadership, mediocre players still part of the first team squad (Coq, Walcott, Ox, Welbeck, to name 4).

I didn't think I was anti-Wenger but the more I think of it and what's going wrong at the club it seems that I am. If he really loves the club like he says he does and if the lack of spending is down to the board like some suggest, then come out and say that. Make a decent shot of it for the next 2 years.

I hope I look back on this post in the next couple of months and say I jumped the gun, but somehow I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Liverpool defence is as piss poor as ours, so it could be a free for all, but I'm more confident if kos starts

We need someone to match Man pace. Bellerin, on form, I'd play in a heartbeat but now I'm not so sure. I honestly wouldn't mind going back to 4-4-2 for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Jon Toral sold to Hull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Wouldn't mind leaving Mustafi go and bringing in Van Dijk. 

But if not, he'll be a decent cb for us when he finds his form...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

To me it looks like the club have cut the funding to the team on the back of our failure to secure champions league.

We bought one player and are talking about having too many players now, shaving deadwood is good but to me it seems like we are cost cutting.

We could end up in a situation where we lose 3 first team players next year and if we don't add anything new this year, cue the new 2 year contract for Arsene to see the rebuild.

While I wanted Wenger gone I thought if he genuinely wants to try and instigate change and rebuild the club them I'll get be him him, but to me it just feels all very much the same running the owners agenda to stay making money and chasing top 4. He has not once tried to have a big spending summer

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Stillberto/status/900763522015080448

Quality trolling. Yeah, I know we're all a little glum, but please join me in smiling at this?

£180k a week for Ox? If that's for real, then that's the end of anyone going on about Theo's wages :pac:

£180k a week for Ox? If that's for real, then that's the end of anyone going on about Theo's wages :pac:

Given we could lose him for free I would say a lot of that is a signing on bonus. To replace him you are looking at a 30m spend and a 120k+ wage so whilst it looks mad, in real terms it's probably more €110k a week and a signing on bonus paid over the length of the contract so a much cheaper investment than the replacement route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Soups123 wrote: »
    Given we could lose him for free I would say a lot of that is a signing on bonus. To replace him you are looking at a 30m spend and a 120k+ wage so whilst it looks mad, in real terms it's probably more €110k a week and a signing on bonus paid over the length of the contract so a much cheaper investment than the replacement route

for 30m and £120k a week i would buy someone with end product

wawaman wrote: »

I wouldn't disagree just commenting on why the wage looks high. It ain't my money so I don't care how it's spent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

especially if Chelsea will take him off our hands for 40 million. We could then go in for Mahrez

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Ozil is the least of the problems and is worth that in today's market.

Wenger always says he only likes 2-3 signings not to upset the balance of the team. There isn't going to be anymore. No point in deluding yourselves.

He has lost the support again already and we're not even in September.

This club will become fiercely toxic when Liverpool beat us on Sunday, then you'll see panic buys by the club to appease the fans. Oh what a world of s*** our once great club is in!

greendom wrote: »
    especially if Chelsea will take him off our hands for 40 million. We could then go in for Mahrez

I think these is the deal we might see happen. If Oxis out I see us paying the 40m for Mahrez, he has started this season well

Pudders wrote: »
    Ozil is the least of the problems.
    We were talking about Ox, not Ozil

Ox out & Mahrez in is a deal I'd be delighted to see happen. Really think he'd be a great addition to the team.
    I still suspect the 2 signings to date will be the sum total of our incomings however.
    Even a heavy defeat at the weekend is unlikely to change that, we look like a club set up to stagnate & then implode spectacularly next summer.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If ever a saga summed this joke shop of a club up, its this Ox nonsense. "Part of the future, a player I want to build around". Yep, so important he still doesnt know where he plays and has his contract run into its last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

emmetlego wrote: »
    Ozil is the least of the problems.
    We were talking about Ox, not Ozil
    Brain fart by me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think its a sign of desperation by the club if they are willing to offer Ox 180K. I know the money is gone simple in the game but he is nowhere near good enough to command a high wage like that. I can't see where he's even fit in at Chelsea?
    Draxler is supposedly available at 30 - 35 million, flog Ox now while we still get something for him and go get the German instead.

Selling Mustafi would be the most bizarre thing ever, we're severely lacking in CB options as it is, unless there's some magic signing lined up which Id doubt.
    Time running out to shift the likes of Debuchy & Perez, does Gibbs still have a future at the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would rather sell Ox and give all the wages to Sanchez if it made him stay....even with the departure the team would be better off!

• Advertisement

Ozil is the least of the problems and is worth that in today's market.

Wenger always says he only likes 2-3 signings not to upset the balance of the team. There isn't going to be anymore. No point in deluding yourselves.

He has lost the support again already and we're not even in September.
    DvB wrote: »
    Ox out & Mahrez in is a deal I'd be delighted to see happen. Really think he'd be a great addition to the team.
    I still suspect the 2 signings to date will be the sum total of our incomings however.
    Even a heavy defeat at the weekend is unlikely to change that, we look like a club set up to stagnate & then implode spectacularly next summer.
    What about Gazidis's statement when Wenger signed his new 2 year contract --
    http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2016-2017/arsenal-chief-ivan-gazidis-hints-at-big-changes-if-arsene-wenger-remains_sto6115571/story.shtml

What about the "catalyst for change" promise.
    Wenger and the Board are all the same. False and lying people who are all making money from the club while it falls apart. They will all walk away with their pockets filled while the people who love the club will be left with the mess.

Whatever about the last few summers, next year is going to be a shock to a lot of people I suspect.

I firmly beleive that whilst Kroenke is at the club the bare minimum will be done in order to maintain it as a profitable business concern, that is the reason for the club to exist under his ownership, he is in the business of making money, not chasing silverware & until he is replaced by someone who is motivated by winning the top prizes there is nothing to suggest he will spend multiples of millions to change that position. Thats why the ticking time bomb that is next summer is the one thing that really worries me, how will he react to a potential massive fall down the table and the impact that will have on his 'investment'

IMO Gazidis is a mouthpiece & I pretty dismiss anything he says as propoganda.

DvB wrote: »
    Whatever about the last few summers, next year is going to be a shock to a lot of people I suspect.

I firmly beleive that whilst Kroenke is at the club the bare minimum will be done in order to maintain it as a profitable business concern, that is the reason for the club to exist under his ownership, he is in the business of making money, not chasing silverware & until he is replaced by someone who is motivated by winning the top prizes there is nothing to suggest he will spend multiples of millions to change that position. Thats why the ticking time bomb that is next summer is the one thing that really worries me, how will he react to a potential massive fall down the table and the impact that will have on his 'investment'

IMO Gazidis is a mouthpiece & I pretty dismiss anything he says as propoganda.

I'm pretty sure we have the 3rd highest net spend over the last 5 years, behind only the Manchester clubs (by a good way, I should add). There's certainly a lot less they could be doing.

What about Gazidis's statement when Wenger signed his new 2 year contract --
    http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/premier-league/2016-2017/arsenal-chief-ivan-gazidis-hints-at-big-changes-if-arsene-wenger-remains_sto6115571/story.shtml

What about the "catalyst for change" promise.
    Wenger and the Board are all the same. False and lying people who are all making money from the club while it falls apart. They will all walk away with their pockets filled while the people who love the club will be left with the mess.

Gazidis lost the war. Wenger won. Most of what he was promising was based around taking a large chunk of control from Wenger. That has happened, AFAIK.

Gazidis lost the war. Wenger won. Most of what he was promising was based around taking a large chunk of control from Wenger. That has happened, AFAIK.

It doesn't look to me like any control was taken from Wenger.
    Manager and Board all the same it seems. Chancers.

I wouldn't disagree just commenting on why the wage looks high. It ain't my money so I don't care how it's spent!

Should have done a multiquote :D

It's true that it's not our money, and we shouldn't care about how it's spent. Paying an average player a ridiculous amount does have a knock-on effect when negotiating other contracts, however. It also makes him almost impossible to shift when all he has to do for the next 5 years is dribble, lose the ball, collect the paycheck. Nobody else will pay him £180k for that.

Should have done a multiquote :D

It's true that it's not our money, and we shouldn't care about how it's spent. Paying an average player a ridiculous amount does have a knock-on effect when negotiating other contracts, however. It also makes him almost impossible to shift when all he has to do for the next 5 years is dribble, lose the ball, collect the paycheck. Nobody else will pay him £180k for that.
    And that problem was created by whom ?

And that problem was created by whom ?

I have no idea, I'm not sure exactly how the club works. I don't know how long we've been negotiating with Ox, and what he's been offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Draw scheduled to start now. That should be another hour then.

• Advertisement

I have no idea, I'm not sure exactly how the club works. I don't know how long we've been negotiating with Ox, and what he's been offered.
    I thought Wenger was in charge??
    Anyway the Ox has scored 9 goals in 130 appearances for Arsenal so it's madness to offer him 180K per week imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement