Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Arsenal through thick and thin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For those who think Wenger should depart from the club, what do you think would be the best way to go about it?

If he resigns before the end of the season, doesn't that make the task of making the top four much more difficult? I can't think of any top appointment that could be made in February so you're probably looking at a coach like Bould taking charge until the end of the season.

If he announces he will resign at the end of the season, isn't there a danger the players may lose focus before then? Didn't Ozil say his future at the club hinged on Wenger staying? Maybe the players start plotting a future elsewhere...

And if he privately decides to step down but publicly says he will carry on, he looks like facing a backlash from a growing section of the Arsenal fanbase.

Seems a mess whatever approach he decides to adopt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger going on and on about the second goal. He was asked why, and he's basically summarizing what happened with no reason for why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mansize wrote: »
    Without UCL football

Ah always there do defend the indefensible.

Go on. Tell us why Wenger is the man.

Please.

Barlett wrote: »
    Also Chamberlain in particular was an absolute disgrace tonight

He was shyte where I was standing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For those who think Wenger should depart from the club, what do you think would be the best way to go about it?

If he resigns before the end of the season, doesn't that make the task of making the top four much more difficult? I can't think of any top appointment that could be made in February so you're probably looking at a coach like Bould taking charge until the end of the season.

If he announces he will resign at the end of the season, isn't there a danger the players may lose focus before then? Didn't Ozil say his future at the club hinged on Wenger staying? Maybe the players start plotting a future elsewhere...

And if he privately decides to step down but publicly says he will carry on, he looks like facing a backlash from a growing section of the Arsenal fanbase.

Just to clarify. Ozil's future isn't tied to Wenger. He just said he wants to know who the manager is next year before he commits,

Ah always there do defend the indefensible.

Go on. Tell us why Wenger is the man.

Please.

I'm not defending the indefensible- I'm giving the full picture.
    Liverpool are 1 point behind without European football.

That's surely embarrassing for a club that invested so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Arsenal through thick and thin

Arsenal FC not Arsene FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

TBH wenger being sacked now or end of the season would be like winning a trophy.

Im sick of this now.

I am close to not bother with arsenal anymore until the manager goes

What annoyed me tonight was that we got to half-time at 1 - 1 after having 20% possession and we could have gone in ahead as we had chances.

A decent manager would have seen that BM weren't great when we attacked and would have told the team to get in among them and rattle them. We were unfortunate that Kos had to depart but he's only one player and we capitulated completely after that. The players gave up tonight. There was no fight and little interest in fighting for the club at all.
    They had no pride even in themselves.
    The Wenger project in fcuked.

Ozil has already given up. i honestly couldnt give a fúck if they all left tbh. Id miss none of the overpaid pr1cks. They can all p1ss off.

Certain sympathy for Wenger, but he bought them, he stayed loyal to them and he stayed loyal to his hugely flawed system of playing. He has to fall on the sword.

• Advertisement

Arsenal FC not Arsene FC.

I am aware of that. Whether Arsene stays or goes I'll support Arsenal fc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Am I the only one who couldn't give a toss about ozil? Let him off if he wants, goes missing too often for my liking

Quazzie wrote: »
    Just to clarify. Ozil's future isn't tied to Wenger. He just said he wants to know who the manager is next year before he commits,

In Ozil's words....
    "I feel very, very good with Arsenal and have shown my willingness to extend my contract with the club," he told German magazine Kicker.

"The fans want me to stay. Now it's down to the club. The club know that I'm here above all because of Arsene Wenger, who brought me here and whose trust in me I enjoy.
    "The club also know that I want to have clarity about what the manager is doing."

I know you could read into it either way, but it definitely sounds like he'd prefer Wenger.

Kos was a huge loss. He's so critical to our defence. Headless German chickens need a French general it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Agreed, Özil would not be a loss, been useless for most of the season but in particular would like to see the back of Chamberlain & Walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The rot in the club will be around for years after Wenger has left. The new fella will have a huge job on his hands. A new manager is only the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Coquelin has been utter ****e all season. Completely.

The rot in the club will be around for years after Wenger has left. The new fella will have a huge job on his hands. A new manager is only the start.

A full clear out is needed. Not just Wenger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't think I've see an Arsenal team devoid of any strategy than the one that took the field tonight. At times it seemed that the players were at odds with each other at to what they were trying to do, or at the very least trying to come up with a game plan on the fly during the game.

The worst performance by an Arsenal team in the last 25 years - and I include the heavy defeats to Utd, Chelsea etc in the past.

Not one of the players seemed to want to progress to the next round - no ambition, no leadership, no clue

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I don't think I've see an Arsenal team devoid of any strategy than the one that took the field tonight. At times it seemed that the players were at odds with each other at to what they were trying to do, or at the very least trying to come up with a game plan on the fly during the game.

The worst performance by an Arsenal team in the last 25 years - and I include the heavy defeats to Utd, Chelsea etc in the past.

Not one of the players seemed to want to progress to the next round - no ambition, no leadership, no clue

The thing is...There's NEVER a plan. The players seem to go out and play the usual and sometimes it works and sometimes we're 3-0 down at half time... It's the same "tactics" against every team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

domrush wrote: »
    Coquelin has been utter ****e all season. Completely.

Apparently he didn't win a tackle tonight, not a single one. What use is he ffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hello darkness my old friend.

omega man wrote: »
    Apparently he didn't win a tackle tonight, not a single one. What use is he ffs?
    Is he overran due to the other passengers alongside him though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Did he give his post match interview yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

More reason why i hate wenger.

he should have gone years ago. now his rotting away the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gringo180 wrote: »

Looked very down. Barely looked at the reporter. Wish he'd left earlier for his own sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I'm not angry with Wenger for tonight. Who is really surprised at the result? It was fairly inevitable. I'll only be angry if he doesn't move on at the end of the season as he has nothing more to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Coq's a good man marker, can take a big man out of a game pretty effectively. Doesn't have the speed or the game reading ability to be an effective solo DM.
    Offers absolutely nothing going forward as well. Like zilch. Prone to committing stupid fouls.

If Elneny had played instead of him and Iwobi in the middle instead of Ozil with Welbeck on the wing we might have actually got a result with a press today (a result being losing by one or two max). How many times was Sanchez chasing the ball alone. Say what you want about RVP, Nasri etc leaving I'd lose no respect for Sanchez if he ****ed off. It is what it is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ozil doesn't have the luxury that the likes of Robben had tonight. Not a finger lifted to tackle or track back.

I couldn't care less about Ozil being lazy off the ball as long as he produces while on it. The fact that he has useless CDMs behind him makes him look way worse than he actually is, imagine Kante or Vidal behind him as an engine - he wouldn't need to go chasing and could do his thing.

If you fellas think we have a chance without him and Sanchez you are crazy. Aside from those two the second Kos went off that team was absolutely dire both on paper and in reality (save Bellerin who I can easily see leaving). Coq pure ****e aside from half a season, Ox will never be better than half decent, Walcott has advanced maybe 15% since he was 18, Iwobi completely out of his depth, Xhaka failing dismally at roughing the opposition up and getting his customary booking to boot. Gibbs continues to nick a living as a mid table full back somehow masquerading as above average. Our injuries have been an issue but when you see Bayern bringing Muller on as a feckin sub you know something has gone woefully wrong somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I feel sorry for Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Short one...

https://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/status/831991624729243649

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain the only player to acknowledge the away fans tonight apparantely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

So I have it on Sky plus because I had to attend a child welfare course, I'm getting the sense it's not worth the watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain the only player to acknowledge the away fans tonight apparantely.

There does seem to be a reoccurring theme that some players don't acknowledge the travelling support. Poor form all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Soups123 wrote: »
    So I have it on Sky plus because I had to attend a child welfare course, I'm getting the sense it's not worth the watch

Yep what has been seen can't be unseen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't do it to yourself.
    You'd be better watching a horror film. At least they sometimes have a happy ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Watch the first half and pretend the theme continued.

Well we witnessed men wallop boys all over the pitch tonight so the theme pretty much stayed the same

At least the night ended well.

Guten nacht

That's all he did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He actually went to the Munich fans instead by mistake and they applauded him back.

keano_afc wrote: »
    He actually went to the Munich fans instead by mistake and they applauded him back.

Unsurprising really he did more for them tbf

Following Dundalk last year was ultimately heartbreaking but by Jesus every last player and coach was praised to high heavens. 6 games, -3 total goal difference. They played 6 group games and never lost by more than one. Even when they fell behind and looked second best and out on their feet they did themselves proud.
    Then you look at Arsenal. The difference from top to bottom is clear. No gameplan. No tactics for defending. One player making an effort to close down but others don't so the opposition player has 3 players to pass to in a pinch. Embarrassed year after year.

**** Wenger, the players and the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus tonight.

Went to play five a side at one all. Feeling good. Bit of a spring in my step.

For f*ck sake.

From what I can see, Coq sadly isn't up to it (what the f*ck did you think Robben was going to do? Have you ever seen this player before?) and Gabriel, I'm afraid isn't either.

The rest of them need to get the f*ckin finger out in games like this. Tactics me hole, just don't give good players space to cross or shoot. Same as we f*ckin did just this evening in five a side.

F*ckin spanners.

keano_afc wrote: »

He'll have the freedom of the city by morning. :pac:

Following Dundalk last year was ultimately heartbreaking but by Jesus every last player and coach was praised to high heavens. 6 games, -3 total goal difference. They played 6 group games and never lost by more than one. Even when they fell behind and looked second best and out on their feet they did themselves proud.
    Then you look at Arsenal. The difference from top to bottom is clear. No gameplan. No tactics for defending. One player making an effort to close down but others don't so the opposition player has 3 players to pass to in a pinch. Embarrassed year after year.

**** Wenger, the players and the board.

You've beaten me to the Dundalk comparison... At work so don't have time to make detailed posts...I was thinking the same thing as you.

Embarassing tonight.

FC Bayern Gays are good fun!

Brilliant.

I would doubt many give a fúck. This is a football discussion thread. Its irrelevant. We are just after a 5-1 battering and your shenanigans dont interest us one bit so kindly sod off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Brilliant.

wpid-article-1320515297477-0eade91b00000578-734492_636x300.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement