Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We are in Group H

e2EZVYZ.jpg

BU5Ooxe.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

This is depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Bate and Cologne so far. :(

Red Star Belgrade then.

Not a nice away destination yet for anyone looking to get to an away game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Red Star Belgrade. At least our group looks like a Champions League group...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Current Arsenal flight plan for our group:

networked-travel-world-map-wire.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Belarus, Germany and Serbia

Not baaaad!

Its like having a champions league group with just 4th seeds.

Work with me here lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

keano_afc wrote: »

Work with me here lads.

that's one positive thinker ;)

i just worry about the away trips atleast there are no Turkey or Russian trips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »

Work with me here lads.

Have we become the new Spurs ? Or is it the old Spurs ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Even a reserve team should progress from that group comfortably.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Have we become the new Spurs ? Or is it the old Spurs ? :D

Well we are in the Europa League 4 months before they'll be. Always leading from the front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We are in Group H

e2EZVYZ.jpg

BU5Ooxe.gif

And of course, we get a club from a country that no longer exists :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

5star02707 wrote: »
    Belarus, Germany and Serbia

Not baaaad!

Yeah, I have to admit, my flight plan image isn't as funny as it should have been. Fully expected to be flying all over the place, and it turns out that it's not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Köln only a 3hour train journey from me, looks like were heading to that!

Bern would have been ideal but after getting Basel last year I cant complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Bate are rubbish Dundalk beat them a few years ago,

Is this Podolski's Cologne , all in all we should be looking at maximum points in this

Bate are rubbish Dundalk beat them a few years ago,

Is this Podolski's Cologne , all in all we should be looking at maximum points in this

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/901051326209110017

Don't really believe most of what this guy says, but bye bye Ox if true.

What's the 24 hours about though , Trying to get in a replacement ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really cant blame him for leaving....its a sinking ship with Capt Stubborn at the helm. Speaks volumes about the Arsenal that we cant even keep a decent player at the club never mind a world class talent......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Really cant blame him for leaving....its a sinking ship with Capt Stubborn at the helm. Speaks volumes about the Arsenal that we cant even keep a decent player at the club never mind a world class talent......

Definitely, also enjoy the likes of Sanchez and Ozil - might be a while before we can attract top class players like that again.

• Advertisement

Don't get this attitude, nor do I understand the need to call Wenger names. Ox has had plenty of chances to prove himself, and in my eyes all he has done is prove himself to be an adequate player. I really can't think of any memorable moments from Ox in the same way I can with other players in the team.

If we're a sinking ship, then he's part of the reason. He's not irreplaceable, and the only way I can see him getting his dream of nailing down a central midfield role is if he goes off to a mid-table team.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Don't get this attitude, nor do I understand the need to call Wenger names. Ox has had plenty of chances to prove himself, and in my eyes all he has done is prove himself to be an adequate player. I really can't think of any memorable moments from Ox in the same way I can with other players in the team.

If we're a sinking ship, then he's part of the reason. He's not irreplaceable, and the only way I can see him getting his dream of nailing down a central midfield role is if he goes off to a mid-table team.
    I agree 100% with you assessment of Ox, but my main worry is that whilst he isn't good enough, his departure means we are a decent player short. He won't be replaced with someone of similar quality, never mind the player of higher quality that we can both agree we deserve.

I'm not overly fussed about losing him. He doesn't do anything to change a game, and him being English is his biggest asset. There are hundreds of players he could be replaced by, but none of them will happen.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I agree 100% with you assessment of Ox, but my main worry is that whilst he isn't good enough, his departure means we are a decent player short. He won't be replaced with someone of similar quality, never mind the player of higher quality that we can both agree we deserve.

I'm not overly fussed about losing him. He doesn't do anything to change a game, and him being English is his biggest asset. There are hundreds of players he could be replaced by, but none of them will happen.

He's only scored 9 goals in 130 appearances though (some of them were only minutes on the pitch admittedly). He seems to have a big ego if he thinks he's worth more than 180K a week. Wenger as bad for offering it too imo.

He has only played well for me at r/b and since the talk of him wanting away began. There are more intelligent and cheaper players out there surely.
    Clusterfcuk of a club we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ox isn't the issue here, selling him now makes us weaker, replace him with Mahrez we are stronger.

If he goes to Chelsea he'll play less, maybe more at Liverpool but as an Arsenal player he hasn't delivered so selling him is fine.

I really don't think we will feel or regret his loss if he is replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I can't stand him, feel him and walcott epitomise everything wrong at the club under Wenger. I'll be glad to see the back of him. Only thing is, we'll need a right back if he goes, so all the focus in the last week will be on that and not strengthening other areas that need it. If Bellerin gets injured, who fills in? Debucy will be out the door, Gabriel played there a few times but he's gone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

kellso81 wrote: »
    I can't stand him, feel him and walcott epitomise everything wrong at the club under Wenger. I'll be glad to see the back of him. Only thing is, we'll need a right back if he goes, so all the focus in the last week will be on that and not strengthening other areas that need it. If Bellerin gets injured, who fills in? Debucy will be out the door, Gabriel played there a few times but he's gone too?

Emergency cover with Mustafi, Holding or Chambers. Not my preferred positions for them but if was just to cover for a game or two and especially as part of a back 3 then I'd think we'd be ok.

kellso81 wrote: »

Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lived in Cologne for a year as a student, many years ago. Went to a good few games and even got Podolski to sign a jersey for me at a training session. Loved the city and never thought I'd see them playing at the Emirates, they were relegated to Bundesliga 2 that year. I said I wasn't going to bother going to a game this year a few days ago but I'd be thinking about this one now.

Ahhhh fúckin balls. It's the first game of the group and I'm busy that night :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

No problem with the ox going and wouldnbw very happy to get 35m for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Somewhat disappointed if Ox leaves, I do think his best performances that I can remember came with him playing the middle of the park, yet he never got a fair crack of the whip there. Still, it does seem to me that the only reason we're offering him such ridiculous money is that we've copped it's not going to be easy to replace him with another home grown player.

A promising summer has gone to plop. We've ended up with such a mess of a squad. Here's hoping for a miracle between now and Thursday night.

No problem with the ox going and wouldnbw very happy to get 35m for him

Providing we spend it wisely.

Lived in Cologne for a year as a student, many years ago. Went to a good few games and even got Podolski to sign a jersey for me at a training session. Loved the city and never thought I'd see them playing at the Emirates, they were relegated to Bundesliga 2 that year. I said I wasn't going to bother going to a game this year a few days ago but I'd be thinking about this one now.

Ahhhh fúckin balls. It's the first game of the group and I'm busy that night :-(
    It'd be cheaper to go to Cologne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. He'd be a bench player at Chelsea with perhaps more game time at Liverpool. He's handy to have in the squad. Thats about the limit of it

Very much doubt we'll sign anyone to replace him though, which is a major cause for concern, not that we'd expect anything else from Wenger.

Flights to cologne for the match Wed-Sat are €44 return. That's crazy cheap. What are chances of getting an away ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Flights to cologne for the match Wed-Sat are €44 return. That's crazy cheap. What are chances of getting an away ticket?

Thats my plan too.

• Advertisement

Somewhat disappointed if Ox leaves, I do think his best performances that I can remember came with him playing the middle of the park, yet he never got a fair crack of the whip there. Still, it does seem to me that the only reason we're offering him such ridiculous money is that we've copped it's not going to be easy to replace him with another home grown player.

A promising summer has gone to plop. We've ended up with such a mess of a squad. Here's hoping for a miracle between now and Thursday night.

He isn't good enough for top level football in centre mid. He isn't disciplined enough when we don't have the ball and he hasnt enough end product with it, his first thought when he gets a ball is to go running and that no use in centre mid.

He'll move with the promise of central opportunities with Liverpool who will soon realise the problem, or go to Chelsea and play the same position he doesn't like at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Am I missing something re Ox?
    Not a game changer, no end product. Dribble dribble dribble lose ball, repeat.
    Im struggling to think of any super moments from him at any stage or any particular moment that stands out.
    He has had more than enough chances to make his mark and not taken them, yet he has the balls to turn down 180k a week?
    What do Chelsea or Liverpool see in him?
    The mind boggles...

wonga77 wrote: »
    Am I missing something re Ox?
    Not a game changer, no end product. Dribble dribble dribble lose ball, repeat.
    Im struggling to think of any super moments from him at any stage or any particular moment that stands out.
    He has had more than enough chances to make his mark and not taken them, yet he has the balls to turn down 180k a week?
    What do Chelsea or Liverpool see in him?
    The mind boggles...

Liverpool tend to like the lads that go gung ho and Klopp probably thinks he can nurture him into his kind of player.

Chelsea I'm not sure on they seem better covered in the positions he is likely to play

The fact he is young and English is making him more attractive to some, plus the lad has potential and under the right manager could deliver on that.

I had said end of last season he is one player I would like to see under a new manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Surely he won't get 180k a week at other clubs? That's insane. He is talented but that is money you pay players like coutinho Sanchez pogba etc.

Chelsea will play him at wing back and Liverpool will do the same as hey did with Milner. Tell him he will get cm role and after awhile start using him to fill other roles. Perhaps Liverpool's new keeper????

Basil3 wrote: »

What attitude.....Oh you mean the frustration, anger and utter despair?

That comes from something you love being destroyed in front of your eyes and not be able to do anything about it.

As for calling Wenger names, come off it will ya. He has been called a hell of alot worse on here over the last few months so hop down off your high horse will ya :rolleyes:

I agree with the club selling him, but I would not have offered him the money we were offering. He does not justify the wages....If your assessment is indeed correct why go all out and try to keep him.

In his defense, he is not a wing back never will be so why force it on the player. His whole game is about offense, Wenger was not helping him playing him out of position for so long. He wanted to play CM, if we were not going to accomodate him we should have sold him yrs ago and got a better player.

Most irritating thing is we will prolly sell him and do nothing with the money....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Really couldn't give a toss if Ox goes, hopefully they might throw in a few others as a sign of good will like Walcott, Welbeck etc.

What is the story with homegrown players though if we do manage to off load some of this crap?

Sky Italia and Di Marzia are both reporting that Mustafi is on his way to Inter.

Absolute madness if he leaves considering we are already short for cover in that position.

Sky Italia and Di Marzia are both reporting that Mustafi is on his way to Inter.

Absolute madness if he leaves considering we are already short for cover in that position.

Looking at it in a positive light, it would have to mean we're bringing someone in......right? :D

It would be hilarious if we did sign VVD, little bit of revenge for the Suarez saga with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Regardless of who they get rid of I'd be shocked if they made any more significant signings. If Mustafi does go then I can only see it happening because Arsenal need to offload some players and all the deadwood are sitting pretty on big wages and so are waiting for free transfers in order to stay on big wages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm certain that if either Mustafi and or Oxlade Chamberlain leave players will be brought in to replace them

For me it will be the final nail in the coffin if Mustafi is allowed leave, I know he has not quite found his feet in the PL yet but he is a solid young German international and will only get better once a regular partnership is formed. He is playing with a different partner in a different tactic every 2-3 weeks at this stage.

We are so short at the back at the moment, so in reality any normal manager even of the lowest premier league side would be buying to add to this player not even selling, and getting another CB is good enough. It should be Mert we are selling not Mustafi if a CB is to go, maybe if we played a consistent formation and let the team settle we would get better performances from the players.

Look at UTD, 8 goals in 2 games but yet they sign Zlatan again for another season as a back up to be the extra man, should they need options when he is back fit. That is the mentality we need at this club......

Look at UTD, 8 goals in 2 games but yet they sign Zlatan again for another season as a back up to be the extra man, should they need options when he is back fit. That is the mentality we need at this club......

Ibrahimovic is taking a paycut to come back too. Our players would take a paycut to leave. That's the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Mustafi was excellent up until christmas, remember him bossing costa against Chelsea? He certainly showed enough to realise he'll be a top player. He was poor enough the second half of the season, but so was everyone and the club was a mess, and he is still relatively young, centre halves get better with age and experience. I'd be raging if he was allowed to go and just gives another reason to show Wenger doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Sounds like mustafa is leaving? Wtf? I'm confused. Wow just wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I said Mustafi was Wengers worst ever signing last year and pound for pound he is. Worse version of Vermaelen

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement