Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Sell mustafi and sign VvD

Sell ox and promote Nelson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Haha so now we need two centre backs within a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Seemingly Mustafi not getting on with the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Try and remain positive lads FFS.
    The house is not falling down.
    Oh Christ mind that brick.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Seemingly Mustafi not getting on with the dressing room.

Yeah, being German he is probably highly ambitious and driven to be successful....so yeah, he is bound to clash with two thirds of the current squad!!!!

Arsenal have 9 players out of contract in 2018 and a further 8 out of contract in 2019.
    Great management.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, being German he is probably highly ambitious and driven to be successful....so yeah, he is bound to clash with two thirds of the current squad!!!!

It's actually quite scary the thoughts that go on in some people's heads :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Funny once Mustafi leaves Chambers will be considered good enough by Wenger but when he was here Chambers was not good enough and was being sent out on loan, this deal really makes no sense even if we get in someone else still short at the back. Johnny Evans welcome to Arsenal .

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's actually quite scary the thoughts that go on in some people's heads :confused:

Sad troll alert.....:rolleyes:

So in your last 2 posts you have commented on my attitude and now you are questioning whats going on in my head, if you have something to say to me just say it will you.

Stop all the cloak and dagger **** or go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here!

There are plenty of lads on here I dont agree with but I dont multi quote them and start all the psychotherapy dribble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic is taking a paycut to come back too. Our players would take a paycut to leave. That's the difference

Except the **** ones, who are hanging around like a bad smell.

Funny once Mustafi leaves Chambers will be considered good enough by Wenger but when he was here Chambers was not good enough and was being sent out on loan, this deal really makes no sense even if we get in someone else still short at the back. Johnny Evans welcome to Arsenal .

There's a whole lot of assumptions there.

Do you realise players are often sent out on loan to improve? Do you have any idea if Chambers has improved? I didn't watch a whole heap of Middlesbrough, so can't really comment. How do you know that Chambers won't just be a squad player? You don't think we would replace Mustafi if he leaves?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sad troll alert.....:rolleyes:

So in your last 2 posts you have commented on my attitude and now you are questioning whats going on in my head, if you have something to say to me just say it will you.

Stop all the cloak and dagger **** or go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here!

There are plenty of lads on here I dont agree with but I dont multi quote them and start all the psychotherapy dribble.

Sorry man, I just think it's a huge leap to go from a rumour that Mustafi isn't getting on in the dressing room to some German stereotype being the reason why (if it's even true).

Apologies if you feel like I'm picking on you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

DIJyTA3W0AEnL1_.jpg

With 5 days left in the window it really feels like the club is imploding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

With 5 days left in the window it really feels like the club is imploding

I don't agree. They have a good squad and have definitely improved upon it this season but they're just not showing any kind of real ambition whatsoever!

L'prof wrote: »
    I don't agree. They have a good squad and have definitely improved upon it this season but they're just not showing any kind of real ambition whatsoever!

Selling Gab and if mustafi goes, makes our defence weaker

Our midfield if exactly the same

Forward maybe a slightly bit better

I don't see any improvement in this squad thus far

Big squad maybe.
    Good ... No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

5 days left.

What's Kim kallstrom up to?

How I think we will line out tomorrow

Cech
    Bellerin. Kos. Monreal sead
    Xhaka. Ramsey.
    Ozil
    Welbeck. Laca. Sanchez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We started the season with two full backs playing centre back for us. Since then we've sold one centre back, and are about to sell another centre back. If anyone can explain the reasoning behind this and still claim that we are better than last year I'd be very appreciative.

Cech
    Xhaka. Ramsey.
    Ozil
    Welbeck. Laca. Sanchez
    4-3-3 ??

So even if we sign those two next season (and there's no guarantee that we will) we will probably lose Sanchez and Ozil.
    One step forward and two steps backwards.

Cech
    Xhaka. Ramsey.
    Ozil
    Welbeck. Laca. Sanchez

Wellbeck should be nowhere near the starting eleven. Bull in a mist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If Chamberlain and Mustafi go with nobody brought in then you can sack Wenger there and then. Maybe beat Kroenke to death too.

Quazzie wrote: »
    4-3-3 ??

Well back to a 4-2-3-1 that we useually play

Even with Liverpool playing mid week we will still struggle to get a win, one thing is for sure it WONT be a scoreless draw.

Most prolly a 4-3 jobbie!

I'm pretty sure we have the 3rd highest net spend over the last 5 years, behind only the Manchester clubs (by a good way, I should add). There's certainly a lot less they could be doing.

Sometimes I get extremely bored! 3rd is right. Spurs all the way down the bottom of that list and yet they'll be right up there challenging for he league as opposed to fighting relegation

Pos|Team|17/18|16/17|15/16|14/15|13/14|Total|Rank
    1|Chelsea|19.2|51.3|9.1|5.1|49.3|134|4
    2|Spurs|-69.8|27.7|-7.9|-1.3|-16.3|-67.5|20
    3|Man City|158|165.1|73.7|60|89.8|546.6|1
    4|Liverpool|30|-6.5|28|38.4|20.3|110.2|6
    5|Arsenal|40.7|86.2|13.2|65.4|32.5|238|3
    6|Man Utd|136.2|102|28.2|104.2|66.7|437.3|2
    7|Everton|-1.8|21.6|27.7|36.5|-16.5|67.5|11
    8|Southampton|8.2|-7.2|2.7|-24.7|35.8|14.8|16
    9|Bournemouth|12|8.1|40.2|0|3.4|63.6|12
    10| West Brom|20.5|9.5|27.5|17.9|2.3|77.6|10
    11|West Ham|6.3|20.8|28.7|25.8|25|106.6|8
    12|Leicester|46.7|21.5|29.1|20|-0.3|117|5
    13|Stoke|-22.8|29.8|21.6|-0.1|2|30.5|14
    14|Crystal Palace|2.6|41.5|13.5|25.7|26.1|109.3|7
    15|Swansea|-2.5|-2.2|4.4|-11.2|20.1|8.6|17
    16|Burnley|-30.8|24.2|4.4|9.5|-3.6|3.7|18
    17|Watford|44.5|10.8|35.7|0|-1.4|89.6|9
    18|Hull|-24.1|-8.7|-18.7|25.6|24.5|-1.4|19
    19|Boro|20.2|14.3|16.8|6.3|2.6|60.2|13
    20|Sunderland|-30|15.6|18.7|11.9|7.4|23.6|15

Third highest spend in the last 5 years yet couldn't make Top 4 and further away from the winners than ever :rolleyes:
    Someone is failing badly.

We buy high, and sell low. Have been for some time now. We're more a business than a football club and even at that we're not that great a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

There's a whole lot of assumptions there.

Do you realise players are often sent out on loan to improve? Do you have any idea if Chambers has improved? I didn't watch a whole heap of Middlesbrough, so can't really comment. How do you know that Chambers won't just be a squad player? You don't think we would replace Mustafi if he leaves?

Yes I do realise that, have seen Chambers a good few times last year and he has improved but is still not good enough imo. Gabriel gone and Mustafi supposedly out the door too will give him much more game time if we don't strengthen. Can't see us replacing him no and if we do it will be a panic buy classic Wenger, you will pay double a players value this time of year when clubs know your desperate do you really think Arsenal will pay it? I may be negative but honestly don't know how more aren't what has changed since last year?
    Several players contracts being ran down.

A manager that half of his players have lost belief in and majority of fans.

A keeper that's past it.

A defence that's weaker then last year that really needed strengthening.

Our midfield is the same which clearly is not good enough either.

Upfront we have improved and I see no problems there but that's not what's going to lose us games as many of us know.

Chelsea,United,City,Spurs and Liverpool all have far better squads and for the exception of Spurs who didn't really need to strengthen the rest have done great business. Win the league? we will be extremely lucky to get top 4, and we're back settling for that instead of trophies.

I love Arsenal and will follow them through thick and thin but the club is in a state, has been for along time now and it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Our net spend this summer has thus far been about +[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£[/font]25m. Ox could go for [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£35m, Gibbs for [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£7m, Mustafi about [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£30m. No incomings planned. If those transfers all go through, we end up with a net spend of -[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£47m - the season after we finish fifth? [/font]
    Anyone remember the 'war chest'? All the same journalists briefed on June 4th about Wenger being given [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£150m to spend. Unfortunately, seems that estimate was off by nearly [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£200m :([/font]

They tried for Lemar & Mbappe but the financial goalposts moved into the next continent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

They tried for Lemar & Mbappe but the financial goalposts moved into the next continent
    So to heck with it, let's sell all our players anyway???

No, sorry L'prof but that's a lousy response.

That was just Wenger getting in his excuses early.
    It looks like none of our bids were very serious really.
    Just smoke and mirrors.

Our net spend this summer has thus far been about +[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£[/font]25m. Ox could go for [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£35m, Gibbs for [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£7m, Mustafi about [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£30m. No incomings planned. If those transfers all go through, we end up with a net spend of -[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£47m - the season after we finish fifth? [/font]
    Anyone remember the 'war chest'? All the same journalists briefed on June 4th about Wenger being given [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£150m to spend. Unfortunately, seems that estimate was off by nearly [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]£200m :([/font]
    You forgot Perez. He's going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Our bids are always retardedly low. Wenger is like that annoying person on adverts.ie offering €10 for €100 items.

Third highest spend in the last 5 years yet couldn't make Top 4 and further away from the winners than ever :rolleyes:
    Someone is failing badly.

One interesting thing is the failure of StatDNA and our signings made through a statistical model. Apparently Perez, Gabriel, Mustafi and Xhaka were all signed using stats, and 3 of the 4 could be straight back out the door.

I wonder what this tells us, if anything. Were these players signed using the stat system against Wenger's wishes? Was he happy with the signings but they just didn't work out?

Some strange goings-on anyway.

emmetlego wrote: »
    So to heck with it, let's sell all our players anyway???

No, sorry L'prof but that's a lousy response.

I do think they were trying to spend money but it seems they have probably given up the ghost now. I'm not making excuses, I'm as disappointed as anybody. Finish 5th, promises of massive spending and then damn all comes to pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A player gets sent out on loan to get regular exposure to first team football and improve. (unless your Chelsea)

Chambers hsd a succesfull loan spell at Middlesborough. He's a year older and wiser and Wenger considers him ready for the first team squad.

having said that I'll be very disappointed if Mustafi leaves and a top drawer cb is not brought in

greendom wrote: »
    having said that I'll be very disappointed if Mustafi leaves and a top drawer cb is not brought in

It will be a very interesting few days. On top of that, Wenger has gone from saying that Alexis definitely stays, to saying that the board can overrule him.

Just imagine if we lost Ox, Mustafi and Alexis.....and nobody comes in. I think even I could possibly lose the plot then.

Alexis will go on deadline day to city for 60m I predict

Alexis will go on deadline day to city for 60m I predict
    I'd take that if it involved a swap with Aguero or someone like Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I'm struggling to make sense of our squad and what shape we'll ultimately go with. Getting rid of Mustafi without buying a replacement seems to suggest a return to a four man defence I think, either that or we're going to be relying on Coquelin as emergency cover at fullback and Elneny at centre half.

Assuming everyone on the transfer list is offloaded, we're looking like:
    ------------------------ Ospina -----------------------
    ------------------------- Cech ------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------
    ------------ Chambers -- Holding ----------------------
    ---------- Mertesacker - Kosielny - Monreal -----------
    Bellerin ------------------------------------ Kolasinac
    ------------------------------ Cazorla-----------------
    ------------ Coquelin -------- Elneny -----------------
    ------------- Ramsey ---------- Xhaka -----------------
    -------------------------------- Iwobi ----------------
    ------------ Walcott ---------- Welbeck ---------------
    ----------- Sanchez ------------ Ozil -----------------
    ------------------------ Giroud -----------------------
    ---------------------- Lacazette ----------------------

On top of the thin defensive cover, and a complete lack of a complementary midfield partnership (so long as Cazorla is out least) we still really really lack width. Only up front do we seem to reasonably strong.

• Advertisement

Squad looks awful to be honest.

We should be selling Welbeck and promoting Nelson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I'm struggling to make sense of our squad and what shape we'll ultimately go with. Getting rid of Mustafi without buying a replacement seems to suggest a return to a four man defence I think, either that or we're going to be relying on Coquelin as emergency cover at fullback and Elneny at centre half.

Assuming everyone on the transfer list is offloaded, we're looking like:
    ------------------------ Ospina -----------------------
    ------------------------- Cech ------------------------
    ------------ Chambers -- Holding ----------------------
    ---------- Mertesacker - Kosielny - Monreal -----------
    Bellerin ------------------------------------ Kolasinac
    ------------------------------ Cazorla-----------------
    ------------ Coquelin -------- Elneny -----------------
    ------------- Ramsey ---------- Xhaka -----------------
    -------------------------------- Iwobi ----------------
    ------------ Walcott ---------- Welbeck ---------------
    ----------- Sanchez ------------ Ozil -----------------
    ------------------------ Giroud -----------------------
    ---------------------- Lacazette ----------------------

On top of the thin defensive cover, and a complete lack of a complementary midfield partnership (so long as Cazorla is out least) we still really really lack width. Only up front do we seem to reasonably strong.

Imagine Mertesacker being number one choice CB :pac:

I didn't realise, from that, how short we'd be on the wings if we lost Oxlade Chamberlain. We'd need to bring in some sort of replacement if the Ox were to go such as Mahrez. And, no, I don't fancy relying on an unproven youngster to step into the first team no matter how much he impressed with the juniors.

Imagine Mertesacker being number one choice CB :pac:

I didn't realise, from that, how short we'd be on the wings if we lost Oxlade Chamberlain. We'd need to bring in some sort of replacement if the Ox were to go such as Mahrez. And, no, I don't fancy relying on an unproven youngster to step into the first team no matter how much he impressed with the juniors.
    No matter how bad he'd be it would be an improvement on Welbeck.

Surely width is more to do with the formation you play than the players you have? Ox was shoehorned into a position purely to give him playing time in an effort to get him to renew his contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement