Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

SSN reporting that the deal is just about complete with player wanting a move to Inter Milan.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11860/11006322/shkodran-mustafi-agrees-to-leave-inter-for-arsenal

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    SSN reporting that the deal is just about complete with player wanting a move to Inter Milan.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11860/11006322/shkodran-mustafi-agrees-to-leave-inter-for-arsenal

They're only regurgitating the news from Italy that came out yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger has to bring in a CB now surely. Would be criminal not to. I know he's brazen but that would be just a step too far.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It will be a very interesting few days. On top of that, Wenger has gone from saying that Alexis definitely stays, to saying that the board can overrule him.

Just imagine if we lost Ox, Mustafi and Alexis.....and nobody comes in. I think even I could possibly lose the plot then.
    Our Board are not in the business of refusing money. If Wenger has changed his stance then Sanchez is going or did Wenger know that all along and was just giving us the gloss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Basil3 wrote: »
    One interesting thing is the failure of StatDNA and our signings made through a statistical model. Apparently Perez, Gabriel, Mustafi and Xhaka were all signed using stats, and 3 of the 4 could be straight back out the door.

I wonder what this tells us, if anything. Were these players signed using the stat system against Wenger's wishes? Was he happy with the signings but they just didn't work out?

Some strange goings-on anyway.

StatDNA would just be used as another way to identify players, they'd still be scouted traditionally after I think.

I doubt if xhaka was through it, he's been rated for years & exactly the kind of player Wenger would know about.
    Gabriel i think was, Perez was an alternative to vardy, where they identified him who knows.
    Mustafi idk either.

They were looking at Fabian scharr at Basel when they then noticed elneny. Not sure if that was a scout or statDNA

I also question if many if any players are signed without wengers say so

batistuta9 wrote: »
    StatDNA would just be used as another way to identify players, they'd still be scouted traditionally after I think.

I doubt if xhaka was through it, he's been rated for years & exactly the kind of player Wenger would know about.
    Gabriel i think was, Perez was an alternative to vardy, where they identified him who knows.
    Mustafi idk either.

They were looking at Fabian scharr at Basel when they then noticed elneny. Not sure if that was a scout or statDNA

I also question if many if any players are signed without wengers say so

Yeah, don't think it was Xhaka. I think Elneny was the other one. I'm sure Wenger approves them all, but it hasn't been overly successful so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

You know whats going to happen don't ya

Alexis will put in a stormer and murder liverpools backline then go to the world cup qualifiers and never come back , it would be typical

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Does anyone here think that the result of tomorrow's match has a bearing on the transfer activity for the final week of the window?
    It shouldn't, but Wenger over the years appears to be a reactive manager as opposed to a proactive one.
    I'm guessing that if we beat Liverpool Wenger will bring in no one and if we lose than he will go on a mini panic shopping spree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

greendom wrote: »
    A player gets sent out on loan to get regular exposure to first team football and improve. (unless your Chelsea)

Chambers hsd a succesfull loan spell at Middlesborough. He's a year older and wiser and Wenger considers him ready for the first team squad.

Chambers has t been given a look in this pre season, if Wenger sees him as part of our defence this season he'd have played.

I've no idea what's going on at the club I just hope to fcuk something positive is going on quietly

I think we are trimming our squad to smaller numbers. I think Wenger will ignore Europa and all cups thinking he'll get away with a smaller group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Hoping it was Steve Bould who suggested Mustafi wasn't good enough. He's not imo. If we don't have a replacement though this is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

This once great club is now beginning to crumble apart if these paper stories are true. A thorough shambles. It's quite obvious there is a power struggle within the club too. A few very dodgy years ahead of us it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Tomorrow's game reminds me of the old Trafford debacle in 2011. Club in a shambles after a summer of diddering. I pray I'll be wrong

I couldn't find anything about Mustafi leaving.
    Where was that reported anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soups123 wrote: »
    Chambers has t been given a look in this pre season, if Wenger sees him as part of our defence this season he'd have played.

I've no idea what's going on at the club I just hope to fcuk something positive is going on quietly

I think we are trimming our squad to smaller numbers. I think Wenger will ignore Europa and all cups thinking he'll get away with a smaller group.
    Chambers is injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I couldn't find anything about Mustafi leaving.
    Where was that reported anyone?

Sky sports news...make of that what you will...shambles if its true.

Chambers is injured

I don't believe he is or atleast was in the summer. The charity shield he was fit but not included. I could be wrong

Either way I don't think he is the reason we are selling Mustafi or that Wenger is selling him because he think Chambere is ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

There is some amount of revisionism in here lads. Mustafi is head and shoulders above any other cb we have with the exception of Kos. The step down to anyone else is ridiculous.

It was Mustafi's first year last year and he put in as many good shifts as Kos and even covered Kos's many mistakes last year. Give him another year and I have no doubt that he would be as good as Kos.

Like I said before, Kos gets away with a lot purely on reputation and if anyone else had made the mistakes he had people would have been calling for his head.

On a similar vein I find it hilarious that when we are linked with a player it is widely rubbished by everyone but the second a player is rumoured to leave, even by the worst of sources, it is taken as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

farna_boy wrote: »
    There is some amount of revisionism in here lads. Mustafi is head and shoulders above any other cb we have with the exception of Kos. The step down to anyone else is ridiculous.

It was Mustafi's first year last year and he put in as many good shifts as Kos and even covered Kos's many mistakes last year. Give him another year and I have no doubt that he would be as good as Kos.

Like I said before, Kos gets away with a lot purely on reputation and if anyone else had made the mistakes he had people would have been calling for his head.

On a similar vein I find it hilarious that when we are linked with a player it is widely rubbished by everyone but the second a player is rumoured to leave, even by the worst of sources, it is taken as gospel.

Personally, it was his recent appearances for Germany that made me think he's not up to it. That's nothing to do with settling in in the Premier League. Just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

wawaman wrote: »
    Tomorrow's game reminds me of the old Trafford debacle in 2011. Club in a shambles after a summer of diddering. I pray I'll be wrong

Hear you loud and clear. I have a real feeling of trepidation about tomorrow's fixture. The Leicester win papered over a lot of cracks and the loss at Stoke was even more worrying considering how much possession of the ball Arsenal had without making any real use of it. I have a gut feeling Liverpool could run riot tomorrow. I don't want to be negative, but the team is badly unbalanced and has glaring weaknesses in a few areas. And, as it stands, they are going to get badly punished someday soon when they come against a quality team.

Of course, I hope that I'm completely wrong and that they win at a canter tomorrow - 4-0, with Walcott bagging all four goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

farna_boy wrote: »

Well said

I think the Mustafi thing isn't so much a case of rumours, it's also a case that Wenger didn't just laugh when questioned about him leaving, and say that we only just signed him.

First big game of the season and not a peep in here lads.

Are we all that nervous about what's ahead? I see Mignolet is dropped, Coutinho still out and hopefully Sanchez back for us. Hopefully today we might see a change of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Soups123 wrote: »
    First big game of the season and not a peep in here lads.

Are we all that nervous about what's ahead? I see Mignolet is dropped, Coutinho still out and hopefully Sanchez back for us. Hopefully today we might see a change of luck

Already a must win game especially for Wenger, another bad defeat and with him looking more then likely not making any more moves in the Transfer market, losing OX to a big team (no matter what you think of him, losing him to a Chelsea or Liverpool doesn't look good on us). The bad times from last season could come back even worse. He needs a win badly.

I don't fancy us at all even with Alexis back. Liverpool at home with their crowd behind them play some good stuff. Defensively they are as bad as us but they do work harder off the ball then us and with Mane they have a top class player on form. See Liverpool winning this 3-1, hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Please don't tell me rumours of Lacazette dropped for Sanchez are true. He effectively scored twice in the PL already.

I agree with gunnerblog, hopefully Ox isn't on the team sheet and we play aces in their places. Guess we'll know in 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Please don't tell me rumours of Lacazette dropped for Sanchez are true. He effectively scored twice in the PL already.

What the source?

What the source?

Just a poster in the Fantasy Sports area said it was rumoured. Guess we'll know in 5 mins!!

Fcuk sake Welbeck ahead of Laca

**** off

What is Wenger at, years chasing an out and out striker and he drops him ahead of his first big game

Wtf is Wenger smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Where is this team news from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i can't see it on twitter but someone is saying kolasinac isn't on either

Yep confirmed

Welbeck up top with Sanchez and Ozil

laca dropped

Kos in back 3 with Monreal and bomb scare holding

Ox starts too

Xhaka and Ramsey in the middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

3 games in, and I think everyone can agree it's time for #Wengerout.

Welbeck is far too wasteful. Sancez starting ahead of Lacazette. To be fair he's been on strike for the last month pushing for a move, so he can fúck right off and just go, or sign. Absolutely sick to the teeth of Wenger with these bullshít calls.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i can't see it on twitter but someone is saying kolasinac isn't on either

Correct Belerin and OX are wing backs

And the 3 lads above in the middle

Welbeck ahead of Laca and Giroud. Bizarre

Mustafi dropped surely confirms he is gone too. As bad as Liverpool are at the back I am not looking forward to this.

Welbeck ahead of Laca and Giroud. Bizarre

It's not Bizarre it's classic Arsene

DIPdXdlXoAAtgSR.jpg

What a c*** is he just trying to prove a point that spending money in players does not make the squad stronger???

Hard to 2nd guess Wenger but does that mean Ox is not leaving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sanchez can fúck right off. Fit again now that there is an international break on.

Ffs welbeck in for Laca. Wenger expecting Alexis to hit the ground running as there's no goals coming from Welbeck.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sanchez can fúck right off. Fit again now that there is an international break on.

a hat-trick today and I'll forgive him!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

not a fan of ox at LWB

Kolasinac would've been an interesting option from set pieces given liverpool's inability to defend them

Fcukin annoyed and we haven't kicked a ball yet.

I'm grabbing my first can of Guinness, hitting the reset button and coming back with an open mind.

Come on Arsenal

Why is the Ox playing ahead of Kolasinac?

Wenger is a f*cking shambles.

On the bright side the bench looks very strong. If they had to play against Pool's bench in a 6 a side they would hammer them

bkrangle wrote: »
    not a fan of ox at LWB

Kolasinac would've been an interesting option from set pieces given liverpool's inability to defend them

Wenger's gonna f*k it up even more and play Bellerin LWB and the Ox at RWB I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What a very odd lineup, there will be a lot of questions and finger pointing if we don't win, and rightly so. That is no where near our strongest team.

• Advertisement

Looking at Pool there defence looks as bad as ours. Though there front 3 could cause us real damage on the break.

Hopefully Liverpool will feel the effect of the mid week game, it's a hard situation for most teams to handle and they don't have a big squad so hopefully with the pressing game they play they get a bit leggy.

We have game changers on the bench which is a positive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement