Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gandalf wrote: »
    I've supported them since 1981 but tbh at this stage given the absolute disrespect they have shown the fans with Wengers contract extension I honestly don't think I can take much more.

And the realistic situation is he will be seeing out that contract unless something really drastic happens like relegation this season!
    I think there will be a coup in the Boardroom. Someone will take over as the major shareholder and he will be sacked like he should have been years ago. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes and he's in the dark about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I've supported them since 1981 but tbh at this stage given the absolute disrespect they have shown the fans with Wengers contract extension I honestly don't think I can take much more.

And the realistic situation is he will be seeing out that contract unless something really drastic happens like relegation this season!
    I think there will be a coup in the Boardroom. Someone will take over as the major shareholder and he will be sacked like he should have been years ago. There is obviously something going on behind the scenes and he's in the dark about it.
    So if that's the case he should have walked at the end of the season. **** being in the dark on my job. I'd leave too on a semi high.

Wenger is finished. After yesterday results. Everyone has forgotten about the fa cup win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its only a matter of time it really is, the compound effect from the negative press is amazing. No way Wenger is seeing out these 2 years.

Even the pundits who were on Wengers side are now saying its absolutely amazing what is going on with the club and the tactics....and its running deeper then we know.

I also see Carragher getting loads of stick for calling the Arsenal team "Cowards" he is dead right.....absolutely sickening what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The only thing that will see Wenger gone is if Kroenke is bought out. Any other owner would have kicked Wenger to touch seasons ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This club stinks. Never going to another game and spending me hard earned on this shambles of a club till we resemble something like the Arsenal of old. We should have never left Highbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This is what I think is happening. He is getting hamstrung somewhere and a power struggle is ongoing, only thing that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

And I thought yesterdays team selection couldn't be any weirder.

Something is not right here at all :confused:

Soups123 wrote: »
    This is what I think is happening. He is getting hamstrung somewhere and a power struggle is ongoing, only thing that makes sense.

Apparently Gazidis was against renewing Wengers contract last season but Kroenke overruled them and offered the extension. So it's logical that this is still festering away and maybe Usmanov is involved sensing it could be his opportunity to force things a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think Ox (and Walcott) have been very poorly managed since they arrived at the club. Whenever either of them put together a few good games and performances, Wenger would inexplicably drop them. This was very prevalent when Walcott was young and he repeated it with Ox.

Wenger has some bizarre notion that young players need to be protected by not playing them all of the time. It has backfired, it has massively damaged Walcotts career and Ox-Chamberlain won't be making the same mistake.

Apparently Gazidis was against renewing Wengers contract last season but Kroenke overruled them and offered the extension. So it's logical that this is still festering away and maybe Usmanov is involved sensing it could be his opportunity to force things a bit.

Possibly

Wenger has constantly suggested offfield problems, it may not be about Wenger it may be about Kronke and Arsene may be onboard with what's going on.

It would explain his selections yesterday and the number of issues we are having with player contracts, even Ozils which we could have sorted by now if we really wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

DIUxxzfW0AAdY-h.jpg

Came across this on reddit

Pressure is mounting.

Possibly

Wenger has constantly suggested offfield problems, it may not be about Wenger it may be about Kronke and Arsene may be onboard with what's going on.

It would explain his selections yesterday and the number of issues we are having with player contracts, even Ozils which we could have sorted by now if we really wanted

How so?
    Seems like he'd be cutting off his nose to spite his face there.

Came across this on reddit

Pressure is mounting.

No fan of vandalism whatever the circumstances. They should have just left a few banners there. All this sh1te does is paint genuine grievances in a bad light and strengthens the resolve of our useless board of directors and tosser of an owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Not sorry to see ox leave, a worse version of Walcott in almost every way.

Hopefully he will take Walcott and Welbeck with him.

Hope we put in a stipulation that he has to play 90 minutes against us every time we play them.

No fan of vandalism whatever the circumstances. They should have just left a few banners there. All this sh1te does is paint genuine grievances in a bad light and strengthens the resolve of our useless board of directors and tosser of an owner

First of all I appreciate the pun and 100% agree with the spray painting.
    I said it last year and earlier in this thread, Wenger for as long as he stays at Arsenal is always gonna be 2-3 games away from the fans turning on him again. 3 games into the season and its happening already.

There is now no way back for Wenger, its just a matter of time before he's fired. No way things can continue for 2 years.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Not sorry to see ox leave, a worse version of Walcott in almost every way.

Hopefully he will take Walcott and Welbeck with him.

Hope we put in a stipulation that he has to play 90 minutes against us every time we play them.

Iv'e an awful feeling that this will come back to bite us on the arse though. Conte will put a rocket under him. Our manager couldn't motivate a hive of wasps if his face was covered in treacle.

It would explain his selections yesterday

Soups I dunno if that explains Wenger benching Kolasinac playing Bellerin and LB and Ox and RB. Stunning.

First of all I appreciate the pun and 100% agree with the spray painting.
    I said it last year and earlier in this thread, Wenger for as long as he stays at Arsenal is always gonna be 2-3 games away from the fans turning on him again. 3 games into the season and its happening already.

There is now no way back for Wenger, its just a matter of time before he's fired. No way things can continue for 2 years.

I get the sense that Gazidis would fire him if given the chance but the other spineless pr1cks Cheswick and Kroenke are backing this farce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I really don't see that happening. He has survived worse days than yesterday during his tenure. The summer just gone was the perfect opportunity to start afresh with a new manager and yet he was given a new deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Reports Sanchez have handed in a Transfer Request

Soups I dunno if that explains Wenger benching Kolasinac playing Bellerin and LB and Ox and RB. Stunning.

I meant if Wenger was working with other to oust Stan who may be hamstring him with funds

It might have been a case of this is the best we have to offer if you don't spend, and I have to play Ox and sure he is leaving tomorrow

All speculation though!

Wouldn't be surprised and don't blame him

That's an interesting turn in events if true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Can't blame him. He is too good to be stuck in this rotten team. We are finishing 6th at best with or without Sanchez.

Hopefully it's true. A player with the level of ambition as Sanchez has no business playing for the Arsenal we have today.
    Best of luck to him in his future endeavours

How are we going to be sorted for home grown players with Ox gone and it looking like we are offloading Gibbs and Chambers too?

• Advertisement

Turmoil but it's what's needed to end this regime.
    The more there is the sooner we get change.

How are we going to be sorted for home grown players with Ox gone and it looking like we are offloading Gibbs and Chambers too?

We got Holding, Bellerin, Ramsey, Wilshire, Reine-Adelaide (possibly going on loan), Maitland-Niles, Coquelin, Theo, Iwobi, Welbeck, Akpom (possibly leaving also) which is 11 in total, I think you have to have 8.

Its the defence that is of concern. With Debuchy, Gibbs and Mustafi leaving we only have 7 players for 5 positions

Got a source?

Got a source?

In pre-season I was all for holding onto Sanchez and Ozil and letting them run down their contracts, but having watched the opening three games of the season we may as well sell them now. Looks like the players have downed tools only three games in.
    We are screwed with or without Sanchez etc, so may as well let them go and have players that want to play and will at a minimum actually try in a game. The club haven't even shown ambition in the summer to entice these players to sign new deals.

• Advertisement

We got Holding, Bellerin, Ramsey, Wilshire, Reine-Adelaide (possibly going on loan), Maitland-Niles, Coquelin, Theo, Iwobi, Welbeck, Akpom (possibly leaving also) which is 11 in total, I think you have to have 8.

Its the defence that is of concern. With Debuchy, Gibbs and Mustafi leaving we only have 7 players for 5 positions

Just wasn't sure what the requirements were for home grown, we are fine then.

I think we will be reverting back to the back 4 shortly. Either way we are short on numbers and quality with those 7.

Got a source?

Some random person on Twitter who deleted the tweet shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Basil3 wrote: »
    Some random person on Twitter who deleted the tweet shortly after.

It's was a journalist for the independent

It's was a journalist for the independent

He's not even a sports journalist. Just tweeted something he saw online reporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its gaining traction on twitter, still dont see anyone reputable going with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Whatever may happen with Sanchez, I think we all knew he was off, be it now or in 12 months time. Id be more concerned about the fact that it looks like our business is done, no sign of any new signing, no rumbling of rumours, no nothing. Then again, what top player would bother with the circus that's going on at the moment

Tbh I fully expected Sanchez to go and who is surprised given the shambles he witnessed yesterday.

The one thing that Arsenal have to ensure is that he goes outside the Premiership. Selling him to City would be an unmitigated disaster and a clear announcement that we are a second tier club now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Tbh I fully expected Sanchez to go and who is surprised given the shambles he witnessed yesterday.

The one thing that Arsenal have to ensure is that he goes outside the Premiership. Selling him to City would be an unmitigated disaster and a clear announcement that we are a second tier club now.

I really don't think so. I'd prefer him to go abroad but if City come knocking with much more than continental clubs are offering well then off you go. We're not on the same planet as city at the moment and Sanchez isn't gonna be the thing that tips them beyond us. They have a plan, even if pep doesn't work out they'll get someone better, they're a club on the up and we're not gonna catch them anytime soon given the direction we're going in.

I really don't think so. I'd prefer him to go abroad but if City come knocking with much more than continental clubs are offering well then off you go. We're not on the same planet as city at the moment and Sanchez isn't gonna be the thing that tips them beyond us. They have a plan, even if pep doesn't work out they'll get someone better, they're a club on the up and we're not gonna catch them anytime soon given the direction we're going in.
    100% agree.
    They're on the way up. We're going downhill and fast.

One thing if Ox is worth £35 million on the final year of his contract surely Alexis is worth twice that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I fear for Wenger over the next few days. His legacy for many fans is shot, he can't fall back on his successes anymore like has done to carry him through over the years. Losing Ox, probably along with one of Mustafi, Alexis and Ozil. With the added bonus of him probably not signing anybody of quality, and he needs more then one too. Anything he does now will be a panic buy. I could see the abuse getting even worse and if he leaves he probably leave us worse off then when he joined.

As much as I dislike Wenger, have done for years, it's really sad to see. Cause I think deep down he does love the club, but the moment he became an accountant was the day his downfall began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

One thing if Ox is worth £35 million on the final year of his contract surely Alexis is worth twice that!

I'd sell him to PSG and get Draxler too thrown in. I would hate to see him in a City jersey, that would break the heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

He witnessed?? He was part of it, and all this going to his knees and acting like it hurts him more and then smiling on the bench. And others who say he deserves better, he was a bench warmer at Barca when we picked him up we owe him nothing.

Also thank **** ox is going can he take Walcott?

City offering 70m for Sanchez

On a positive note Mahrez odds of joining us are now at 7/4...

Link is to sky's betting page, seems to be a wealth of players there that are angling for a move/clubs want to sell...

From an Arsenal point of view here are some things I've picked out:

Mustafi to join Inter 8/15
    Sanchez to leave 11/8 or to City 9/4
    Wilshere to leave 6/5
    Virgil Van Dyk to Arsenal 14/1 or to Liverpool 1/2
    Thomas Lemar to Arsenal 11/1 or to Liverpool5/4
    Ox to Chelsea 1/20 (Looks done already though)
    Julian Draxler to Arsenal 9/2

Sidenote...It could come to this!...

Thomas Vermalen to
    West Brom 3/1
    Everton 4/1
    Crystal Palace 10/1
    Watford 14/1

So yeah things look ****ing bleak :mad:

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'd sell him to PSG and get Draxler too thrown in. I would hate to see him in a City jersey, that would break the heart.

Meh, what if City come calling with $$$ AND Aguero? I'd consider that a win for us, Pep really rates Jesus ahead of Aguero. For once I'd like us to be aggressive in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Meh, what if City come calling with $$$ AND Aguero? I'd consider that a win for us, Pep really rates Jesus ahead of Aguero. For once I'd like us to be aggressive in the transfer market.

Aguero is worth far more than Sanchez and swap deals essentially never happen so you can forget about that one.

Worst part about everything is FF.

So I now have to follow arsenal's results this season.

Srs: I'm raging. Can't believe its this bad.

Why oh why did he not f*ck off after the FA Cup win this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

greendom wrote: »
    Mahrez or Lemar I suppose? Perhaps Mbappe if he hadn't gone to PSG!

Ha ha that reminds me, remember when they tried to spin the line that we had bid for mbappe!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I think Ox (and Walcott) have been very poorly managed since they arrived at the club. Whenever either of them put together a few good games and performances, Wenger would inexplicably drop them. This was very prevalent when Walcott was young and he repeated it with Ox.

Wenger has some bizarre notion that young players need to be protected by not playing them all of the time. It has backfired, it has massively damaged Walcotts career and Ox-Chamberlain won't be making the same mistake.

How many other young players has he done this to, Campbell, iwobi, etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement