Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Bayern Munich or not we were appalling. From the first 5 mins I could see there was no plan. Halfhearted in front of goal when we had an early chance, no passion, no drive. Desperate stuff. This is becoming one of our other annual humiliations. When Koz had to go off I knew that it was only going to get worse. Sadly it did. Wenger has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Liverpool fan here, but not looking to rub it in. I'm a big fan of Wenger, always have been. Ever since he was asked towards the end of his first season, when United ruled the roost, who was the best team he had faced - and he said Liverpool. Doubtless just to wind up Ferie, but still..

He's been great for your club, built some great teams and played some fantastic football. He doesn't deserve to be sacked, Arsenal really can't sack him after all he's done, but this should be his last season. The club need to have someone lined up now to take over in the summer and start putting plans in place. You have a great squad, although with a few obvious weaknesses, and the team needs leaders on the pitch.

I'd recommend Rafa - his experience is hard to equal, between Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid. He wouldn't play sexy football, but with the squad you have he would have you challenging. Rafa loves signing players with intelligence and leadership, many of the players he signed for Liverpool were captains of their clubs before he signed them. Exactly what you need. Short term, he has turned around the fortunes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle, and he's also capable of building a team for the long haul. Anyway, just throwing it out there...

Wenger should be treated with huge respect, but the end of this season it will be time to go. He still has a lot to offer, I'd like to see him get at least one major tournament as an international manager before he retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Great night after with the Gay FCB fans!

My requests for Lana's Satellite and Lauren's Euphoria got the place rocking.

Then to McDonalds where the Wenger In & Outs held council.

Heated debate ensued but all good natured.

Great time in Munich, shame about the result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mansize wrote: »
    I'm not defending the indefensible- I'm giving the full picture.
    Liverpool are 1 point behind without European football.

That's surely embarrassing for a club that invested so much

It's brilliant deflection to compare yourselves to Liverpool.

This is about Arsenal's ambition, not Liverpool's.

Your board is telling you that 4th is good enough as long as Wenger only spends a certain amount. The board is telling you that as long as the club makes money, Wenger has a job for life.

That, IMO, is the issue, because if that's the attitude from above, then I'd course it's going to transmit to the players year in, year out. They don't have to come top, because 4th every year and the odd FA Cup gets you a new contract.

It's all about mindset, and acceptance of a certain position in the football food chain has set in, and will remain as long as Wenger and the current board are still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Arsenal have won the league six times in what 60 years and Wenger is responsible for half of them. This belief that Arsenal should be winning the Champion's league or league title more often is a bit ridiculous imo. This sense of entitlement has come because Arsenal fans have been spoiled by being consistently in contention during Wenger's reign at the club.

I don't see them improving at all if he goes.

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's brilliant deflection to compare yourselves to Liverpool.

This is about Arsenal's ambition, not Liverpool's.

Your board is telling you that 4th is good enough as long as Wenger only spends a certain amount. The board is telling you that as long as the club makes money, Wenger has a job for life.

That, IMO, is the issue, because if that's the attitude from above, then I'd course it's going to transmit to the players year in, year out. They don't have to come top, because 4th every year and the odd FA Cup gets you a new contract.

It's all about mindset, and acceptance of a certain position in the football food chain has set in, and will remain as long as Wenger and the current board are still there.

It's not deflection it's how Wenger can be vilified yet others who are doing poorer are still lauded by the press.

The team's performance (Kos excepted) was abysmal last night. I don't think it fair to blame the board for that.

I love how winning the most FA Cups has been dismissed as "the odd FA Cup"

Wenger has still managed to win the league 3 times, making it 4 since Liverpool did, despite the myriad of managers that have come and gone, so what does that say about the mindset of Liverpool FC? They never had it to complete a sustained title challenge without slipping up and falling short?

It's the buying instant success that has crept into English football that has people view record FA Cup wins and consistently finishing in the upper reaches of the league with such distain.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Arsenal have won the league six times in what 60 years and Wenger is responsible for half of them. This belief that Arsenal should be winning the Champion's league or league title more often is a bit ridiculous imo. This sense of entitlement has come because Arsenal fans have been spoiled by being consistently in contention during Wenger's reign at the club.

I see that disimproving, I see that turmoil that has engulfed Liverpool FC since they won the league last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Maybe we wont improve. Maybe we will get worse but Jesus Christ its boring now. You can nearly script each season in August.
    If I was told there was a 20% chance of improvement and 80% chance of disimprovement I would still want a change.
    Are we the most predictable team in world football?????????

• Advertisement

Wenger has still managed to win the league 3 times, making it 4 since Liverpool did, despite the myriad of managers that have come and gone, so what does that say about the mindset of Liverpool FC? They never had it to complete a sustained title challenge without slipping up and falling short?

It's the buying instant success that has crept into English football that has people view record FA Cup wins and consistently finishing in the upper reaches of the league with such distain.

Firstly, it doesn't help your argument when you throw in 'slipping up and falling short' in reference to Liverpool. You just come across as fúcking petty and childish.

Secondly, whether we all like it or not, the FA Cup has become a second tier competition. If you're happy with FA Cups and not challenging for the major trophies, then more power to you. That's your prerogative.

You're right. Arsenal have won multiple leagues under Wenger since the last time Liverpool won one. And he deserves his praise for that. But the last one was 12 years ago. It will be 13 by this season's end.

It all depends where your ambition lies. In 2004, Arsenal, with Utd, was a powerhouse of English football, and it was unthinkable that it'd be this long before another title. If you're happy with 4th every season, and an FA Cup every couple of seasons, then Wenger is doing a fantastic job. But I don't blame the majority of Arsenal fans, after seeing how Utd continued to win, how Chelsea and City came along and started winning, for wanting 4th plus FA Cup not to be their level.

Wenger was a genius, but football at the very top level has passed him by. If you want to win the major trophies, then change is needed. If you're happy with failing in the Champions League and not winning the league, then Wenger is perfect.

But don't use the achievements of 12 years ago to justify the here and now. That's bonkers.

On Liverpool, if Klopp doesn't show improvement over 3 seasons, I'd venture he'd be moved on. That's normally how things work. You give managers a reasonable period of time to at least start to get it right, and act accordingly. If everything stagnated or gets worse for a reasonable period, a new manager is brought in. The idea that being loyal to a manager will eventually equal success is a fallacy. There was only one Alex Ferguson. He's an outlier, not the norm. And in his case, I remember him saying if he'd not won anything in 3 years, he'd be gone. Even with his legacy.

Wenger, IMO, should be judged on what he's done recently. Not over a decade ago.

I see that disimproving, I see that turmoil that has engulfed Liverpool FC since they won the league last.

You see clubs with turmoil...... I see Chelsea walking away with the league, I see City winning two titles recently, FFS I even saw Leicester win the title last season.

Lets try and aim for teams doing better than us then doing worse. (granted Leicester are in a mess)

Firstly, it doesn't help your argument when you throw in 'slipping up and falling short' in reference to Liverpool. You just come across as fúcking petty and childish.

Secondly, whether we all like it or not, the FA Cup has become a second tier competition. If you're happy with FA Cups and not challenging for the major trophies, then more power to you. That's your prerogative.

You're right. Arsenal have won multiple leagues under Wenger since the last time Liverpool won one. And he deserves his praise for that. But the last one was 12 years ago. It will be 13 by this season's end.

It all depends where your ambition lies. In 2004, Arsenal, with Utd, was a powerhouse of English football, and it was unthinkable that it'd be this long before another title. Of you're happy with 4th every season, and an FA Cup every couple of seasons, then Wenger is doing a fantastic job. But I don't blame the majority of Arsenal fans, after seeing how Utd continued to win, how Chelsea and City came along and started winning, for wanting 4th plus FA Cup not to be their level.

Wenger was a genius, but football at the very top level has passed him by. If you want to win the major trophies, then change is needed. If you're happy with failing in the Champions League and not winning the league, then Wenger is perfect.

But don't use the achievements of 12 years ago to justify the here and now. That's bonkers.

On Liverpool, if Klopp doesn't show improvement over 3 seasons, I'd venture he'd be moved on. That's normally how things work. You give managers a readonable period of time to at least start to get it right, and act accordingly. Of everything stagnated or gets worse for a reasonable period, a new manager is brought in. The idea that being loyal to a manager will eventually equal success is a fallacy. There was only one Alex Ferguson. He's an outlier, not the norm. And in his case, I remember him saying if he'd not won anything in 3 years, he'd be gone. Even with his legacy.

Wenger, IMO, should be judged on what he's done recently. Not over a decade ago.

Fully 100% agree with this Ric and you can be sure that 90% of Arsenal fans feel the same

Souness, dropping the ball when Sky's money came along, and being slow to milk the Premier League exposure for all its worth destroyed us.

Comparing it to the Wenger situation is completely ridiculous and a red herring. They couldn't be more different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Jesus tonight.

Went to play five a side at one all. Feeling good. Bit of a spring in my step.

For f*ck sake.

From what I can see, Coq sadly isn't up to it (what the f*ck did you think Robben was going to do? Have you ever seen this player before?) and Gabriel, I'm afraid isn't either.

The rest of them need to get the f*ckin finger out in games like this. Tactics me hole, just don't give good players space to cross or shoot. Same as we f*ckin did just this evening in five a side.

F*ckin spanners.

I'm more interested in your 5 a side tbh. How did ye get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Arsenal have one of the highest turnovers in world football and are one of the wealthiest clubs. Why do you and others constantly say this? Consistently in contention? Arsenal haven't been in contention for the league and champions league in over a decade now. Last night was an embarrassment all round. If that was any other club and manager he would rightly be under serious pressure, so why should Wenger be any different? Especially as that result and performance wasn't surprising and has happened before.

The only argument that people have for Wenger staying now, is that they think that it will get worse if he goes. How does anyone know this? Just because it happened at Man Utd doesn't mean it will definitely happen at Arsenal!

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    You see clubs with turmoil...... I see Chelsea walking away with the league, I see City winning two titles recently, FFS I even saw Leicester win the title last season.

Lets try and aim for teams doing better than us then doing worse. (granted Leicester are in a mess)

If we want to emulate City or Chelsea then get a rich sugar daddy and buy the league- it had been a very long time prior to the money arriving

Leicester are an outlier and given this state of them this season not sure it's something I'd want Arsenal to emulate.

The only argument that people have for Wenger staying now, is that they think that it will get worse if he goes. How does anyone know this? Just because it happened at Man Utd doesn't mean it will definitely happen at Arsenal!

It's also a stupid comparison.

Utd were winning leagues up until Ferguson's final season. Wenger is not winning leagues, so how much risk are you actually taking by getting rid?

Leicester are an outlier and given this state of them this season not sure it's something I'd want Arsenal to emulate.

Red herring again. Arsenal are nothing like Leicester.

Utd were winning leagues up until Ferguson's final season. Wenger is not winning leagues, so how much risk are you actually taking by getting rid?

How many have they won since he left?

I put it that the last league win was an aberration and he left nothing of note in terms of a progression when he left

Red herring again. Arsenal are nothing like Leicester.

I was dealing with the league winners remark tbf. It wasn't posed by you

• Advertisement

If we want to emulate City or Chelsea then get a rich sugar daddy and buy the league- it had been a very long time prior to the money arriving

You constantly bring up money as the reason for lack of success. Did money have anything to do with that shambles last night? Bayern probably haven't had an easier match all season, relegation candidates in the Bundesliga have put up a better fight than Arsenal did last night.

Is there much of a difference in the cost of the Arsenal squad and Chelsea squad??

Christ we spent more on Xhaka then they did on Kante :mad:

You constantly bring up money as the reason for lack of success. Did money have anything to do with that shambles last night? Bayern probably haven't had an easier match all season, relegation candidates in the Bundesliga have put up a better fight than Arsenal did last night.

Isolated matches can't be used to show trends or gain meaningful analysis tbf. Arsenal were very poor. Almost as poor as me having to survive in Munich on €12 today!

Is there much of a difference in the cost of the Arsenal squad and Chelsea squad??

Christ we spent more on Xhaka then they did on Kante :mad:

That's one player. Kante was an excellent signing tbf

That's one player. Kante was an excellent signing tbf

and my question about squad costs?

The sad thing is that Kroenke will see it as a business risk. He like most owners to be fair only care about the money, which consistent champions league brings in. Kroenke is as big a problem as Wenger and as you said earlier what is accepted from above has filtered down to the rest of the club.

The fact remains prior to the large financial investments by the oil men neither team had won the league in a long number of years. Or was all the money a coincidence????

The sad thing is that Kroenke will see it as a business risk. He like most owners to be fair only care about the money, which consistent champions league brings in. Kroenke is as big a problem as Wenger and as you said earlier what is accepted from above has filtered down to the rest of the club.

I genuinely think Wenger will leave at the end of the season.
    I dont see it as a bad thing announcing it now although some think it would be better to wait.

If he says it now I reckon there is more chance of everyone coming together for the last few months.

and my question about squad costs?

Investment in the clubs since Abramovich arrived has been vastly different. Looking at the cost of the current XI isn't a full picture

Investment in the clubs since Abramovich arrived has been vastly different. Looking at the cost of the current XI isn't a full picture

So you cant answer the question then....... fair enough

• Advertisement

So you cant answer the question then....... fair enough

I've answered it. It's a very one deminsional way to look at something. 3D gives the best view. I assume as it suits your easy narrative currently both the acquisition costs are similar.

Love the cheap dismissive response of my answer. Even the die hards last night gave me some credit for my answers

Another couple of years and Wenger will have won the league the same number of times as in the same number of years before him. It's really not impressive.

I'm off to enjoy the free sights of Munich. Later guys

I've answered it. It's a very one deminsional way to look at something. 3D gives the best view. I assume as it suits your easy narrative currently both the acquisition costs are similar.

No, its not remotely one dimensional.
    Chelsea splashed loads of cash in the early years. All those players have gone and not sold off for hundreds of millions.
    Last 3 or 4 years we have been at a similiar level spendingwise but yet they have been far more successful.

You are the one throwing out easy narratives. In fact this morning you have said.

1. Just one game
    2. Hes just one player
    3. They spend more than us

Excuse after excuse after excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Isolated matches can't be used to show trends or gain meaningful analysis tbf. Arsenal were very poor. Almost as poor as me having to survive in Munich on €12 today!

Isolated matches can't be used that's true. How about your abject failure to progress beyond the last 16 for the last 8 years or have a meaningful challenge for the title that's been alive come April/May.

Arsenal are boringly inconsistent at this stage. You love Wenger, we all know it and to be honest he deserves huge respect for what he's done for the whole league not just Arsenal. Every year he is becoming a more divisive figure among fans.

This is a team he's built entirely himself in his mould. They are not good enough, they've a soft centre and an inability to stand up when the going gets tough. Arsenal have an appalling record against other big clubs and there is only one man responsible. You can point fingers at the players however there is only one person who's put together this cast of players who are happy to go through the motions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Whoever okay 70 million on xhaka and mustafi would want there head examined anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Haven't being on here since the start of the season, but now as a gunner we are back to our usual spot at this time of the season GROUND HOG DAY, how many more years of the same old sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I posted this on Friendface earlier but I thought I'd copy and paste it here cause I am lazy!

In any other club a performance like last nights would have left the manager in a untenable position.

How many other nights like last night have we been subjected to in recent times with Wenger secure in his position. Something has to give. The man is a legend but the longer this situation festers the more damage he does to his legacy. At the moment most of us grimace when we hear his name. I hope he sees sense and stands down because the board do not give a damn about performances on the pitch once the cash registers keep ringing.

I'm an Arsenal fan since 1981, I don't live in the UK, I've been to a handful of matches and had planned to bring my six year old son to a match the next time (this year) that I was in that wonderful city. I won't be now, do I really want to expose one of the people I love the most in the world to the pain and frustration of following a team that really don't give a damn at the moment about their followers. The primary reason for a top level club to exist is to win trophies, the board, the manager and the players don't seem to realise this or don't give a monkeys as long as all of them get paid.

No, its not remotely one dimensional.
    Chelsea splashed loads of cash in the early years. All those players have gone and not sold off for hundreds of millions.
    Last 3 or 4 years we have been at a similiar level spendingwise but yet they have been far more successful.

You are the one throwing out easy narratives. In fact this morning you have said.

1. Just one game
    2. Hes just one player
    3. They spend more than us

Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Chelsea have invested huge amounts and their wage bill is still larger than Arsenal's tbf.

I not stated that after Chelsea and City got oil money they won the league with access to largess that Arsenal didn't/don't have

I would be interested in knowing the costs of both squads if you do have that figure to hand

One player an one game was looking at something in isolation to examine the bigger picture which will give flawed results

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    I posted this on Friendface earlier but I thought I'd copy and paste it here cause I am lazy!

In any other club a performance like last nights would have left the manager in a untenable position.

How many other nights like last night have we been subjected to in recent times with Wenger secure in his position. Something has to give. The man is a legend but the longer this situation festers the more damage he does to his legacy. At the moment most of us grimace when we hear his name. I hope he sees sense and stands down because the board do not give a damn about performances on the pitch once the cash registers keep ringing.

I'm an Arsenal fan since 1981, I don't live in the UK, I've been to a handful of matches and had planned to bring my six year old son to a match the next time (this year) that I was in that wonderful city. I won't be now, do I really want to expose one of the people I love the most in the world to the pain and frustration of following a team that really don't give a damn at the moment about their followers. The primary reason for a top level club to exist is to win trophies, the board, the manager and the players don't seem to realise this or don't give a monkeys as long as all of them get paid.

Do bring your son to Arsenal. It's an amazing experience. I understand people's frustration, but I feel Wenger is beinh treated unfairly by the media as a a whipping boy, catastrophysising a situation that isn't as bad as made out and things could be an awful lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Chelsea have invested huge amounts and their wage bill is still larger than Arsenal's tbf.

I not stated that after Chelsea and City got oil money they won the league with access to largess that Arsenal didn't/don't have

I would be interested in knowing the costs of both squads if you do have that figure to hand

One player an one game was looking at something in isolation to examine the bigger picture which will give flawed results

Arsenals squad was €381 million versus Bayerns who is €357 million. I'm not arsed looking up City or Chelsea but they would be more expensive. City and Chelsea have also changed managers a couple of times in the last few years which will mean transfers in and out increase.

I already challenged your game in isolation nonsense, if it was an isolated incident nobody would have a problem.

Fergie won leagues near the end of his tenure without huge squad investments and had players performing above the sum of there parts. This is not something Arsene is currently capable of!

Do bring your son to Arsenal. It's an amazing experience. I understand people's frustration, but I feel Wenger is beinh treated unfairly by the media as a a whipping boy, catastrophysising a situation that isn't as bad as made out and things could be an awful lot worse

I am aware of what a great experience it can be, I've sat in the stands. However I do not want to show him what a team looks like that doesn't give a ****, that team last night didn't give a ratarse by the end of play. That attitude comes from the leadership of the team and Wenger is 100% responsible for that. He gets £8 MILLION to prepare this team and that team last night was prepared to play Sutton when we were facing Bayern. He has to go but I am under no illusions that things could get a lot worse before they improve. I know that a new personality may take time to get going or just may not work but something has to give and Arsenal have to have a team that actually shows desire and fight when they take the field of play.

In the meantime I would prefer to use the monies that I would spend on tickets, merchandise, food and drink at the Stadium on attractions that are guaranteed to put a smile on the little tikes face of which London is stuffed with.

duffman13 wrote: »

Arsenals squad was €381 million versus Bayerns who is €357 million. I'm not arsed looking up City or Chelsea but they would be more expensive. City and Chelsea have also changed managers a couple of times in the last few years which will mean transfers in and out increase.

I already challenged your game in isolation nonsense, if it was an isolated incident nobody would have a problem.

Fergie won leagues near the end of his tenure without huge squad investments and had players performing above the sum of there parts. This is not something Arsene is currently capable of!

Fergie did, a huge credit to him, but he left nothing behind tbf

gandalf wrote: »

I am aware of what a great experience it can be, I've sat in the stands. However I do not want to show him what a team looks like that doesn't give a ****, that team last night didn't give a ratarse by the end of play. That attitude comes from the leadership of the team and Wenger is 100% responsible for that. He gets £8 MILLION to prepare this team and that team last night was prepared to play Sutton when we were facing Bayern. He has to go but I am under no illusions that things could get a lot worse before they improve. I know that a new personality may take time to get going or just may not work but something has to give and Arsenal have to have a team that actually shows desire and fight when they take the field of play.

In the meantime I would prefer to use the monies that I would spend on tickets, merchandise, food and drink at the Stadium on attractions that are guaranteed to put a smile on the little tikes face of which London is stuffed with.

Bring him to Chelsea? Or Spurs? Or London Dungeon?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Things could be worse sure, but I'd be happy to take things just being different at this stage. It's time for him to walk away, surely he knows that by now himself....

• Advertisement

I still enjoyed the matchday experience last eve. The away fans are a hardcore passionate bunch!

Robben's goal was sublime and Sanchez' penalty was entertaining.

I don't consider the money spent coming to Germany (or Scotland two weeks ago) money wasted.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Things could be worse sure, but I'd be happy to take things just being different at this stage. It's time for him to walk away, surely he knows that by now himself....

I'm sure he is such a winner he finds it hard to walk away in the shadow if his former glory. Move him upstairs get a young passionate manager in, but I wouldn't cut ties with AW

I have been saying all season I imagine this to be his last in the dugout, I'm not changing tack, I just feel Arsene deserves better for all he has achieved at this wonderful football club.

Come on you Gunners!

Bring him to Chelsea? Or Spurs? Or London Dungeon?

London Dungeon would be preferable!

(FFS SPURS WTF man you need to wash your mouth out with dettol, things are bad but they are never that bad!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We're in bizarre situation now where thumping Sutton will seem in bad taste.

I'll take 2 nil, for sure, but to be honest I'm not 100% confident we'll get that.

2 nil to us, I mean!

Could change it to 6 in 50 years, with him at the helm for 21 of those years. Also in the time before Wenger was a Cup Winners Cup win and a Fairs Cup win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement