Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's not how I see it. He's just packing a strop because Wenger won't play him where he wants to be playing. He's made no secret that he sees himself as a Steven Gerrard type player, charging in from the midfield and banging them in from 30 metres. I can't remember if he's ever scored a goal like that.

Your right about the Gerrard comparison. It's hilarious tbh. He hasn't improved since he's got here and probably hasn't been coached to a professional level since he joined Arsenal. He's right to go, I'd be frustrated too if I was him.

But to his credit he turned down Chelsea as he wants to play centrally. I respect that, as Liverpool can't offer him anything that Chelsea can't aside from assurances over his football. In this case that seems to be enough for him.

Just hoping the 'Pool don't bend us over a barrel. They've proved with Keita that they have to patience to wait the 12 months and get him for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Your right about the Gerrard comparison. It's hilarious tbh. He hasn't improved since he's got here and probably hasn't been coached to a professional level since he joined Arsenal. He's right to go, I'd be frustrated too if I was him.

But to his credit he turned down Chelsea as he wants to play centrally. I respect that, as Liverpool can't offer him anything that Chelsea can't aside from assurances over his football. In this case that seems to be enough for him.

Just hoping the 'Pool don't bend us over a barrel. They've proved with Keita that they have to patience to wait the 12 months and get him for nothing.

The coaching at Arsenal can't be that bad. He has been given many chances at Arsenal and has shown that he isn't good enough to play centre mid. The club couldn't have done much more for him.

Don't care if Liverpool do bend us over a barrel, I don't want to see him in our jersey again.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

The coaching at Arsenal can't be that bad....

Where have you been the last 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

So likely outgoings of Mustafi, Gibbs, Perez, Sanchez and Ox added to Gabriel already gone, and nobody coming in??

Gibbs at a knockdown price of 7million? This is quite easily our worst transfer window ever, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

wonga77 wrote: »
    Gibbs gone to West Brom for about £7 million.

West Brom getting a good deal at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sky's Kaveh Solhekol is saying that Sterling is staying at City and won't be part of any player exchange.
    Get ready lads, we're going to sell our best player to City and not re-invest the cash in a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If I wasnt an Arsenal fan I'd be in favour of putting our club on BBC as a new soap opera. I'd tune in, it would be great entertainment.

Tuesday, 8:30. Clusterf*ck

In tonights episode, Alex turns down Chelsey because she wanted to bring him to McDonalds instead of Nandos. Gibbo has a new job in Birmingham, and Mustaphi is in trouble with the Boss for asking for more help in the office.

Elsewhere, the Boss has 48 hours to raise the money he owes Rich Uncle Stan or he'll have to go into hiding. He may have an ace up his sleeve as he hears that Alexi might be coming home from South America early....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The problem is Wenger's addiction to possession at all costs, domination tactics football. It works when you genuinely are a mile above everyone ala Barcelona 2011 but the vast majority have cottoned on that it's far easier to get results out of average players by playing on the counter. Just go and watch Leicester in their title winning season. The definition of maximising what you have available.

That's why Liverpool stuffed us but scraped past Palace: Henderson, Milner etc lack the technique to unlock teams that sit most of the time but we played completely into their hands. We had 52% possession and lost 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The problem is Wenger's addiction to possession at all costs, domination tactics football. It works when you genuinely are a mile above everyone ala Barcelona 2011 but the vast majority have cottoned on that it's far easier to get results out of average players by playing on the counter. Just go and watch Leicester in their title winning season. The definition of maximising what you have available.

That's why Liverpool stuffed us but scraped past Palace: Henderson, Milner etc lack the technique to unlock teams that sit most of the time but we played completely into their hands. We had 52% possession and lost 4-0.

you can bet that Palace fought and scrapped for every last ball and harried and chased the Liverpool players down. Something we singularly failed to do on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

greendom wrote: »
    you can bet that Palace fought and scrapped for every last ball and harried and chased the Liverpool players down. Something we singularly failed to do on Sunday.

Like most other teams will, they went there focused on staying tight. Whether you have the ball or not doesn't matter. We went there to push 7 players into their half, lose the ball cheaply and get hammered on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

'Breaking | Liverpool & AS Monaco representatives are currently meeting regarding Thomas Lemar, according to SFR Sport. More follows.'

Lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

'Breaking | Liverpool & AS Monaco representatives are currently meeting regarding Thomas Lemar, according to SFR Sport. More follows.'

Lads...

Pool embarrassing us on and off the pitch.

It would be funny if Pool signed Lemar and it meant that they didn't sign Ox... A real slap in the face for Ox!!! And transversely, us too!

This is classic stuff. This window takes the cake, regardless of what happens in the next 36 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually Liverpool and Man City would benefit more by stringing us along until the final hour tomorrow and then pulling out. We'd be stuck with two players who don't want to play for us and who will be worth feck all at the next transfer window and nothing at all next summer. They'd then cause more long term damage to the team!

The whole management of this situation is a cluster**** of monumental proportions and whoever is supposed to be managing the contract situation should be fired with immediate effect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

In my job I've had quite a few days/weeks when things go completely to sh*te and the whole place is in a panic, can you imagine the absolute horror show that's been going on at Arsenal since Sunday (Admittedly this has been going on for years).

Its fcuking mental.

gandalf wrote: »
    Actually Liverpool and Man City would benefit more by stringing us along until the final hour tomorrow and then pulling out. We'd be stuck with two players who don't want to play for us and who will be worth feck all at the next transfer window and nothing at all next summer. They'd then cause more long term damage to the team!

The whole management of this situation is a cluster**** of monumental proportions and whoever is supposed to be managing the contract situation should be fired with immediate effect!

Trust Arsene for stability. :rolleyes: 36 hrs left of the window and the club is in a mess after two defeats. We have conceded 8 goals already. Almost averaging 3 fúcking goals a game. This mad man should not have even heard the word contract let alone offered one

Grzegorz Krychowiak off to WBA. WBA are now showing more ambition than us ffs!!!

He was available last summer before he went to PSG but we opted for braindead Granit instead. Krychowiak is a far more battle hardened and intelligent player.

DIbaPWpW4AA7Q7e.jpg:large

DIbHij_UwAAjG21.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Congrats to Gibbs, played professionally on the field and never moaned about his place in the club. Now if Sanchez is to follow we simply have to sign a replacement. Chaos here, chaos there chaos everywhere!

In no way Arsenal are prepared in any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Trust Arsene for stability. :rolleyes: 36 hrs left of the window and the club is in a mess after two defeats. We have conceded 8 goals already. Almost averaging 3 fúcking goals a game. This mad man should not have even heard the word contract let alone offered one

Grzegorz Krychowiak off to WBA. WBA are now showing more ambition than us ffs!!!

He was available last summer before he went to PSG but we opted for braindead Granit instead. Krychowiak is a far more battle hardened and intelligent player.

Think Xhaka will be a fantastic player for us but he needs some one with more discipline than Ramsey beside him. Someone who will actually play in midfield and not spend more time ahead of Ozil trying to score goals and get all the glory instead of doing his actual ****ing job in midfield.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Think Xhaka will be a fantastic player for us but he needs some one with more discipline than Ramsey beside him. Someone who will actually play in midfield and not spend more time ahead of Ozil trying to score goals and get all the glory instead of doing his actual ****ing job in midfield.

Ramsey has obviously been told he can roam wherever. He played a lot more defensively for a good while, very rarely getting into the box. Since we went to 3 at the back, he seems to have been told he can push forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Xhaka could start by doing his ****ing job in midfield before he'd start pointing fingers at others.

Doesn't matter how nicely you spread the ball about if you're a ****ing liabilty defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I don't think so, he's had his chance and proved he's just another mammys boy, sideways passing, headless chicken, nowhere to be seen when the pressure is on kinda player. At 24 you'd think he's not gonna improve that much more to be a decent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Xhaka could start by doing his ****ing job in midfield before he'd start pointing fingers at others.

Doesn't matter how nicely you spread the ball about if you're a ****ing liabilty defensively.

Maybe he is doing his job but also has to do the job of Aaron "Roy Of The Rovers" Ramsey? For the majority of the 1st half on Sunday he was a one man midfield when Ramsey did his usual walkabout

wawaman wrote: »
    Maybe he is doing his job but also has to do the job of Aaron "Roy Of The Rovers" Ramsey? For the majority of the 1st half on Sunday he was a one man midfield when Ramsey did his usual walkabout

Is this job giving away the ball then chasing after it like a ****ing moron instantly putting 2 midfielders past him and running at the defence?

Xhaka was pants for most of last season, Ramsey wasn't the reason for that.

Funny how opinions divide. I think that while Xhaka has had a few issues, that overall he has been a very good player for us so far. I think he will get better with a protective player beside him, and not a marauder. Ramsey is the same type of player as Ozil, we shouldn't be playing the 2 together.

5star02707 wrote: »
    Congrats to Gibbs, played professionally on the field and never moaned about his place in the club. Now if Sanchez is to follow we simply have to sign a replacement. Chaos here, chaos there chaos everywhere!

In no way Arsenal are prepared in any of this.

Why would he? He was an average player earning shed loads at supposedly one of the worlds biggest clubs under no pressure to improve.
    That said i am intrigued as to why Tony Pulis has signed him. Gibbsy will be getting a rocket up his arse and is in for a rude awakening at West brom. Defending is hugely important there.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Funny how opinions divide. I think that while Xhaka has had a few issues, that overall he has been a very good player for us so far. I think he will get better with a protective player beside him, and not a marauder. Ramsey is the same type of player as Ozil, we shouldn't be playing the 2 together.

I dont deny he has had good games and in particular the cup final but he makes some dreadful errors of judgement for lad just voted Swiss player of the year. For example, his discipline last year was shocking. Last Sunday he backheeled the ball in his own area...tut tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Personally I like Xhaka.
    What I didn't like was him trying to backheel a ball in the 6 yard to Cech and giving away a corner. He has brain farts at times and gives the ball away but overall he's decent.
    He does need a Kante beside him though to allow him not worry about behind him, letting him pass the ball long which is one of his best strengths.
    I wonder how he would fair with Cazorla beside him? Can't remember if they played at all together yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

https://twitter.com/darrenarsenal1/status/902913955106099200

An Arsenal shareholder on twitter. Not that this is a surprise. Still don't understand how the club appears to have problems financially. We will end up in profit by the end of the window, all the while City, Utd, Chelsea etc are spending all around them and don't seem to have problems with this PL wages/spend issue.

Money is probably being held back as the LA Rams are in the process of building a multi billion dollar stadium. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

https://twitter.com/darrenarsenal1/status/902913955106099200

An Arsenal shareholder on twitter. Not that this is a surprise. Still don't understand how the club appears to have problems financially. We will end up in profit by the end of the window, all the while City, Utd, Chelsea etc are spending all around them and don't seem to have problems with this PL wages/spend issue.

Money is probably being held back as the LA Rams are in the process of building a multi billion dollar stadium. :mad:

This has always gone beyond Wenger. Even if he left the same problems with the "ownership" of the club would still be there. The fans need to come together and get this cancer out of our club

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We're turning into a mistable club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

May also be an indication that the club expect commercial revenues to drop significantly this season as a result of that turmoil going on at the club. Companies may not want their name attached to Arsenal given all the negative publicity of late.

Lads, how likely is it that Kroenke could be given the heave ho?
    Is it something thats possible or do the fans just have to take it?

Twitter blowing up with chat, that is the board have backtracked and made no money available for transfers

Empty stadium week on week the only way i'd imagine.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm sure all Stan sees is a profitable business, why would he stump up cash for transfers when he can just leave his little money maker ticking over.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm sure all Stan sees is a profitable business, why would he stump up cash for transfers when he can just leave his little money maker ticking over.

Supposedly used the club as leverage to build his NFL stadium so needs the cash flow

• Advertisement

Stop spending money on Arsenal, make the name poison for sponsors.

Like treating someone for cancer you have to hurt the host to deal with the problem. If you want to eliminate the Kroenke tumor then you have to hurt the club's finances and reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What I don't get if Stan and the board is doing this why doesn't Arsene just say FU and walk way and stop being the scapegoat?

Probably because he too agrees with book balancing being more important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Soups123 wrote: »
    What I don't get if Stan and the board is doing this why doesn't Arsene just say FU and walk way and stop being the scapegoat?

Not really. He's getting 8 million a year. He knows a good thing when he's sees it and there's no way he'd get 8 million a year anywhere else for no return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Maybe Wenger is afraid if he goes the club will go into the ashes altogether

Soups123 wrote: »

This is the answer I want to no

There are 8 million reasons why Wenger doesn't walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

If people think that Wenger loves Arsenal as much as he supposedly does then why the hell would you make a team selection like the one on Sunday? That smacked of trying to send a message to someone. If that's not the case, then he truly has lost it.

Don't believe for a second he is staying for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't believe for a second he is staying for the money
    He is staying because he has a huge ego.
    He thinks he's the bees knees and an authority on all things football. Just listen to him at times commenting on everything as if he was the top-notch authority on it.
    That's why he won't leave. He can't see his own faults and doesn't believe he is ever wrong.
    Everyone else sees that he's a washed up old deluded fool.

Well whatever his reasons if things go badly on Saturday against Bournemouth then the Emirates is going to be more toxic than Chernobyl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

As much as I hate saying it , Maybe we're better off losing a few games if it forces the issue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement