Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    We're in bizarre situation now where thumping Sutton will seem in bad taste.

I'll take 2 nil, for sure, but to be honest I'm not 100% confident we'll get that.

2 nil to us, I mean!

I don't know. Sutton will either be dreading playing us after we have gotten a thumping or they will be relishing it.

I'd say they will be relishing it, they have absolutely nothing to lose, it's on their pitch and in front of their fans and it is the biggest game of their players careers. I am extremely nervous about this. I expect them to get in and among us and there is a risk that our players will go through the motions and underestimate them or they just won't give a ****!

Thankfully Monday I'm picking up the missus from the airport at the same time so I won't be watching the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    We're in bizarre situation now where thumping Sutton will seem in bad taste.

I'll take 2 nil, for sure, but to be honest I'm not 100% confident we'll get that.

2 nil to us, I mean!

It's a lose/lose situation

gandalf wrote: »
    mansize wrote: »
    Bring him to Chelsea? Or Spurs? Or London Dungeon?

London Dungeon would be preferable!

(FFS SPURS WTF man you need to wash your mouth out with dettol, things are bad but they are never that bad!)

I'm imagining the Simba Mufasa scene where they look down on the land of the hyenas- there's a meme there somewhere. Maybe we should nick Potch? ðŸ˜

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not surprising, but it's still disappointing to see it confirmed.

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/832159858996699136

EDIT: I think the sooner Wenger announces that he's leaving the better, it gives more time to find the right replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ornstein just tweeted that the deal is still on the table for Wenger but that it will either be signed or not signed by mutual consent. Sounds like he's going out the door... Thank f***

Edit: beaten to it by catinabox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

CatInABox wrote: »

EDIT: I think the sooner Wenger announces that he's leaving the better, it gives more time to find the right replacement.

Hopefully they're working on that now behind the scenes. They can make it public when everything is in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Imagine being able to decide for yourself if you get fired or not.

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

SlickRic wrote: »

Amazing.

Owners see you are making money for them so they put a contract on the table. Simple logic for them.

Amazing.

I think all he's done for Arsenal he deserves that right.

greendom wrote: »
    Hopefully they're working on that now behind the scenes. They can make it public when everything is in place

I imagine they have been, it would be a piss poor business model if they hadn't, and AFC don't strle me as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

CatInABox wrote: »

To me that reads as he's staying. Go on a decent run till the end of the season, get top 4 and sign the two year deal. I'd be amazed if he didn't. No manager in world football has the power and influence at a club as Wenger has. The Arsenal board is a joke, with nobody on it who has a clue about football. A new manager is needed and a shake up of the board and director of football etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gandalf wrote: »
    I am aware of what a great experience it can be, I've sat in the stands. However I do not want to show him what a team looks like that doesn't give a ****, that team last night didn't give a ratarse by the end of play. That attitude comes from the leadership of the team and Wenger is 100% responsible for that. He gets £8 MILLION to prepare this team and that team last night was prepared to play Sutton when we were facing Bayern. He has to go but I am under no illusions that things could get a lot worse before they improve. I know that a new personality may take time to get going or just may not work but something has to give and Arsenal have to have a team that actually shows desire and fight when they take the field of play.

In the meantime I would prefer to use the monies that I would spend on tickets, merchandise, food and drink at the Stadium on attractions that are guaranteed to put a smile on the little tikes face of which London is stuffed with.

I've been twice this year with my boys, the second time around was my youngest first game. Whilst he enjoyed it it wasn't the experience it once was. The team performance constantly lacks motivation and commitment and I think the stadium now reflects that. The atmosphere has gone so poor over the past 10 years. My eldest of the two who is 9 now said Arsenal fans are a lot quieter than Ireland fans at Avila! I'm going to games 20+ years and don't think most fans realise how less passionate they've become

Soups123 wrote: »
    I've been twice this year with my boys, the second time around was my youngest first game. Whilst he enjoyed it it wasn't the experience it once was. The team performance constantly lacks motivation and commitment and I think the stadium now reflects that. The atmosphere has gone so poor over the past 10 years. My eldest of the two who is 9 now said Arsenal fans are a lot quieter than Ireland fans at Avila! I'm going to games 20+ years and don't think most fans realise how less passionate they've become

Depends where you're seated too. North Bank is still electric

People have to stop going to matches, stop buying merch, programmes, tickets, everything. It's the only way anything will change. But fun days out no matter the result are more important to most people.

I have to say Mansize I have never in my life met someone who defends like you. Are you any good at Centre Half or in DM role?

Closest person I can think of is Piers Morgan defending and deflecting all things Trump.

People have to stop going to matches, stop buying merch, programmes, tickets, everything. It's the only way anything will change. But fun days out no matter the result are more important to most people.

The contrary would be you support Arsenal through thick and thin. Sure done by the merch but not going to Arsenal when they are not doing g well smacks of something else entirely

For every one person who doesn't go there are 3 people ready to take that spot.

What ever your annoyance with the club you want to show support and respect to the 11 players that put on the jersey.

I think in concept it makes sense but with such a global band and volume of support it's impossible to make happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

ronjo wrote: »
    I have to say Mansize I have never in my life met someone who defends like you. Are you any good at Centre Half or in DM role?

Closest person I can think of is Piers Morgan defending and deflecting all things Trump.

Woah woah!

It's a dark, dark time but there's no need to mention that dirty low life.

And I don't mean Trump!

It's unbelievable that people can't see that he deserves a bit of respect, and to leave the club with dignity.

Anyway, I'm not gonna get into this Wenger in/Wenger out rubbish.

I was trying to think back to when we last played consistently good football, and I reckon it was when we played with Santi in the middle, and Ramsey on the right, almost like we had an extra midfielder as an outlet.

One thing that is clear, we can't play with Coq in the middle of the park. I don't know what's happened to him. He was never a great ball player, but he used to at least show a bit of positional discipline. Now there's a massive chance that he could be our furthest player forward at times.

Who would people play as our next starting 11? Personally, I'd like to see

Cech

Bell----Mus----Kos----Gibbs/Mon

---Xhaka----Elneny

Perez----Ozil/Ox----Welbeck

Sanchez

• Advertisement

Last game v Burnley we were in the north bank!

Me? I am the worst sportsperson ever. I defend and I'm awkward and in 5 a side I was sick of the young pup nutmegging me so I Xhaka'ed him and handed the ref the ball for his free.

The Morgan thing is a low blow. I hate that right wing, phone tapping reductive easy answer windbag 😝

The contrary would be you support Arsenal through thick and thin. Sure done by the merch but not going to Arsenal when they are not doing g well smacks of something else entirely
    Nothing to do with not doing well. Getting rid of Wenger and Kroenke is what needs to be done and there's only one way to do it.

Me? I am the worst sportsperson ever. I defend and I'm awkward and in 5 a side I was sick of the young pup nutmegging me so I Xhaka'ed him and handed the ref the ball for his free.

The Morgan thing is a low blow. I hate that right wing, phone tapping reductive easy answer windbag 😝

Apologies for the comparison so.

Nothing to do with not doing well. Getting rid of Wenger and Kroenke is what needs to be done and there's only one way to do it.

I don't think that way will work and don't believe it's the only way.

Maybe we could try different colour scarves...???

If Wenger announced today that he was stepping down at the end of the season do people think it would have

1. Positive effect on season
    2. Negative effect on season
    3. Not really make a difference

• Advertisement

Apologies for the comparison so.

That's alright. We hate Tottenham we hate Tottenham...

If Wenger announced today that he was stepping down at the end of the season do people think it would have

I think our season would petre out into a nothingness

Negative, if no clear plan in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Amazing.

He has earned that respect. We might not be where we want to be, but he has done more for the club than anyone else has ever done. I'm not sure what people are expecting, but when he does leave we are not going to magically start winning titles. If anything, we will probably be struggling to make champions league.

But as much as I like Wenger, a change of some sort is needed, for better or worse. I think the saddest thing about yesterdays result is that no one is surprised and that is the main reason there is no massive outcry for his resignation. That is what hurts most :( If Fergie got a result like that during his time, you can be sure that everyone would have been wanting him out.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think it would really matter as the season is over bar the FA cup realistically. I'd like to think if he just came out and said he was going it would allow the fan base to relax a bit and look forward to life under a new manager.

• Advertisement

I think our season would petre out into a nothingness
    Basil3 wrote: »
    Negative, if no clear plan in place.

Fair enough.
    I am afraid its just going to get more and more poisonous while there is doubt.

Fair enough.
    I am afraid its just going to get more and more poisonous while there is doubt.

I think poisonous is a bit sensational tbf.

I think poisonous is a bit sensational tbf.

Possibly..... Mickeroo probably put it better than me.

jester77 wrote: »
    He has earned that respect. We might not be where we want to be, but he has done more for the club than anyone else has ever done. I'm not sure what people are expecting, but when he does leave we are not going to magically start winning titles. If anything, we will probably be struggling to make champions league.

But as much as I like Wenger, a change of some sort is needed, for better or worse. I think the saddest thing about yesterdays result is that no one is surprised and that is the main reason there is no massive outcry for his resignation. That is what hurts most :( If Fergie got a result like that during his time, you can be sure that everyone would have been wanting him out.

Like losing to Galatasary in qualifying or young boys in group stages???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sure when you've people who are happy to travel half way across Europe then spend the match posting about getting their hole, and not caring about the result the business will live on strong.

You better edit that Quazzie

Possibly..... Mickeroo probably put it better than me.

Sure. I just don't like extreme words been used needlessly when they are so emotive and full of anger

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sure when you've people who are happy to travel half way across Europe then spend the match posting about getting their hole, and not caring about the result the business will live on strong.

One post. After the match. But if ragging on me helps you... (I also did reply to a query on same tbf)

In surprised you saw it... curiosity kills the cat they say

Nobody 'deserves' to keep a job that pays him obscene amounts of money. That's madness.

Not caring about the result and letting it consume you with anger and hate are two very different things. I was very angry at 4-1, but life's to short and sex is fun

• Advertisement

Nobody 'deserves' to keep a job that pays him obscene amounts of money. That's madness.

If you want obsence see the NBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If we want to emulate City or Chelsea then get a rich sugar daddy and buy the league- it had been a very long time prior to the money arriving

Leicester are an outlier and given this state of them this season not sure it's something I'd want Arsenal to emulate.

Is it only buying the league if you spend big and win the league?

If you spend similar levels to those around you and fail to win the league do you fall back on the "they bought the league" model because it suits your agenda and deflects from your manager's failure given the money Arsenal have, they should reasonably be able to "buy the league" if they really wanted too.

Plenty of teams, Utd recently, have outspent other teams and didnt buy the league, its not as easy as your making it out.

GavRedKing wrote: »

If you spend similar levels to those around you and fail to win the league do you fall back on the "they bought the league" model because it suits your agenda and deflects from your manager's failure given the money Arsenal have, they should reasonably be able to "buy the league" if they really wanted too.

Plenty of teams, Utd recently, have outspent other teams and didnt buy the league, its not as easy as your making it out.

A very large cash injection into a mid table club winning them trophies they haven't seen (in years) is buying it to me.

A Roman holiday of sorts

Arsene has never had the money Roman or the sheikh pumped into their playthings

But I can see why their supporters would chose not to see it like that, makes their victories seem hollow

Stop deflecting. The point stands.

Nobody deserves to keep a lucrative job until they decide they're not good enough anymore. It's nuts.

GavRedKing wrote: »

When Chelsea started out 10 years back they bought the league, they were the first PL club to bring that amount of spend to the table and trophies followed.

That's said you no longer can by the league, you can spend money to get you up to the capable of challenging bracket but after that it comes down to management and signing the right players

When Chelsea started out 10 years back they bought the league, they were the first PL club to bring that amount of spend to the table and trophies followed.

That's said you no longer can by the league, you can spend money to get you up to the capable of challenging bracket but after that it comes down to management and signing the right players

Both of which cost money. Most clubs couldn't afford to dispose of managers in the manner Chelsea or City have- a very costly business

Stop deflecting. The point stands.

Nobody deserves to keep a lucrative job until they decide they're not good enough anymore. It's nuts.

It's not. It's all relative. He's meeting his targets tbf

Is stop deflecting the simple response now to additional viewpoints being added???

Arsene deserves the respect to be handled well and with respect. He shouldn't have the right to say when it all decide if he stays or goes. That approach removes the pressure that managers strive under to find the answer for success

Both of which cost money. Most clubs couldn't afford to dispose of managers in the manner Chelsea or City have- a very costly business

We could as could any of the other big clubs, spend on managers is just like players these days all accounted and planned for. Its pittance compared to some of the player spend wastage

• Advertisement

Arsene deserves the respect to be handled well and with respect. He shouldn't have the right to say when it all decide if he stays or goes. That approach removes the pressure that managers strive under to find the answer for success

I'm sure if he hadn't met his targets he wouldn't, as he has, he does. That's just basic fairness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement