Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

That's that we have what we have, what will be our starting 11

Czech
    Mustafi. Kos. Monreal
    Bellerin. Xhaka. Ramsey. Kosloanic
    Ozil. Sanchez
    Lacazette

Or

Cech
    Bellerin. Kos. Monreal. Kosloanic
    Xhaka. Ramsey.
    Iwobi. Ozil. Sanchez
    Laca

I think he will ditch the back 3 sooner rather than later

Monreal ahead of Mustafi? That lad can barely defend for his life - a ball watcher who decided he'd be best played at CF before half time in the Liverpool match. I agree with you in thinking we will revert back to a back four soon again.

I'd like to see Wilshere having a shot in the team again. I'm one of the few that still believe in him it seems. I don't rate Elneny and Coquelin would struggle to start for a top ten team.

Just give us your best defence anyway.

Thats completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

I don't know what our best defence would be. If a back 3, I would have Kos along with any two of Mert/Mustafi/Holding then Bellerin on the right and Kolasinac on the left.

If a back 4, I would go Kos with Mustafi or Mert, then Bellerin on the right and Kolasinac on the left.

I would probably use Monreal as a utility sub.

Our defensive problems aren't completely due to our defenders, anyway. This team has shown they can soak up pressure and hit teams on the break in the past. They just aren't playing that way at the moment. Other teams know it's fine to let Arsenal have the ball and hit them on the break.

Koscielny got a bad knock there, hope he's ok. Weird seeing Lemar nearly assisting Giroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Kos is ****ed

Lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

The longer Cazorla is out the better he seems to get. Good player yeah but not the difference between 5th and champions or anything.

The question is now that Sanchez is staying will we see him at his best or will this whole saga have destroyed him altogether? Keeping a player that's desperate to abandon ship might not be the wisest move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    Thats completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

I don't know what our best defence would be. If a back 3, I would have Kos along with any two of Mert/Mustafi/Holding then Bellerin on the right and Kolasinac on the left.

If a back 4, I would go Kos with Mustafi or Mert, then Bellerin on the right and Kolasinac on the left.

I would probably use Monreal as a utility sub.

Our defensive problems aren't completely due to our defenders, anyway. This team has shown they can soak up pressure and hit teams on the break in the past. They just aren't playing that way at the moment. Other teams know it's fine to let Arsenal have the ball and hit them on the break.
    Liverpool drove a horse and four through the middle at will last Sun.
    Better teams than them will do likewise. the defence is a complete shambles aided by a very weak Xhaka and a missing in action Ramsey.
    Wed needed CB's in this window. It is a mystery that Wenger doesn't see that.

Liverpool drove a horse and four through the middle at will last Sun.
    Better teams than them will do likewise. the defence is a complete shambles aided by a very weak Xhaka and a missing in action Ramsey.
    Wed needed CB's in this window. It is a mystery that Wenger doesn't see that.

Once again, you're making a point that has no relevance to what I just said?

I say our starting 11 is better than last year...you say tell us your best defence then.

I tell you what I think is our best defence.....you say our defence is a shambles and we need to buy a CB

What's next? You're going to tell me that we need a new manager because I said our starting 11 has improved? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

sonic85 wrote: »
    The longer Cazorla is out the better he seems to get. Good player yeah but not the difference between 5th and champions or anything.

The question is now that Sanchez is staying will we see him at his best or will this whole saga have destroyed him altogether? Keeping a player that's desperate to abandon ship might not be the wisest move.

Where are people getting the opinion that Sanchez isn't happy to stay? He has been told all summer that he would not be sold, which lately changed to he will only be sold if we get a huge bid. He hasn't tried to force a move by handing in a transfer request which in the last year of his contract would have been very easy to do. Yes he looks unhappy at stages but he has always had moments like that, I have seen him do the same things with Chile and Barca.

On our defenders -
    Bellerin has gone backwards for the last two years. Is regularly the cause of us conceding goals by being caught out of position.Forgets that he is a defender.
    Monrael has lapses of concentration at LB and is not a CB.
    Kos is injury prone and very poor in the air.
    Mustafi we tried to get rid of and couldn't. Wenger seems to have no faith in him. I don't see a classic CB in him either but he's releatively untried.
    Mert can't even get a game. Imagine he is our Captain but is nearly always on the bench. Rarely shouts instructions when playing anyway and is too slow and ponderous. Played well in the Cup final but imo that was a one off.

I can't see any combination of bad defenders improving us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Advertisement

dinorebel wrote: »
    Right on cue.
    That is why we needed a new CB.
    I hate being proved right in this case but it is so obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Watching the France game , that Lemar looks class , we should throw i cheeky last min offer in again

and....... he goes on to score

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Watching the France game , that Lemar looks class , we should throw i cheeky last min offer in again

Just scored as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

dinorebel wrote: »

That looks bad.

Just scored as well

Imagine how much we would have enjoyed that if he just signed for us :rolleyes:

Imagine how much we would have enjoyed that if he just signed for us :rolleyes:

Ya still time yet :pac: that goal just upped his value to 112m :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Even if we signed Messi and Ronaldo now we'd still be shyte. Probably play Messi in goals or something. This season can **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That looked like a cruciate injury, bugger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

https://twitter.com/ClassicCantona/status/903351203421138945

Thomas Lemar just scored this absolute screamer

Wenger's gonna find him in the dressing room after his commentary and do his bit of magical persuasion :pac:

I didn't realise he was this good. I know I've only watched a bit of him play here but he has such flair going forward.

Wenger's gonna find him in the dressing room after his commentary and do his bit of magical persuasion :pac:

I didn't realise he was this good. I know I've only watched a bit of him play here but he has such flair going forward.

Fingers crossed :cool: Hes a taller version of Carzola :D

gandalf wrote: »
    That looked like a cruciate injury, bugger!

He hasn't been taken off so looks like he was lucky.

Isn't Kos still on the pitch? He doesn't look like he's moving too freely, no idea why they didn't take him off.

i dunno now, a 20 yard shot??? Would this man fit into our Wengerball system of fluting around the pitch until we are 1 yard of the goalline? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

BREAKING:
    Arsenal

Another goal for Lemar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

i dunno now, a 20 yard shot??? Would this man fit into our Wengerball system of fluting around the pitch until they score? :pac:

Fixed that there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He hasn't been taken off so looks like he was lucky.

Thank god just judged by that clip.

• Advertisement

I'm just home. Gonna turn on SSN for the next two hours and pretend that we might buy someone at 10:59 while drinking bottles...Cry, have a ****, cry some more, burn my jersey, more beer, sleep.

Dont do this to yourself man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Dont do this to yourself man :pac:
    Don't be so hasty. You can't beat a decent ****.

Er; so I'm told.

Sorry what, is Arsene doing commentary for French TV tonight??!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sorry what, is Arsene doing commentary for French TV tonight??!?!

Yes.

Strange to think a man with a salary of £10,000,000 feels the need to do nixers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Hope I am wearing my Arsenal shirt on Judgement day so God will no I have already gone through he'll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Quazzie wrote: »
    Yes.

Strange to think a man with a salary of £10,000,000 feels the need to do nixers.

I thought he stopped doing that a while back

Quazzie wrote: »
    Yes.

Words cant describe my hatred for the man.

426729.jpg

Once again, you're making a point that has no relevance to what I just said?

I say our starting 11 is better than last year...you say tell us your best defence then.

I tell you what I think is our best defence.....you say our defence is a shambles and we need to buy a CB

What's next? You're going to tell me that we need a new manager because I said our starting 11 has improved? :confused:
    But you refused to name the starting 11 that you say is an improvement and that's what the poster asked you to do.
    My point is that we have no improvement because we have a shyte defence. Defence is the foundation of any team.

greendom wrote: »
    I thought he stopped doing that a while back

Greed and a big ego. He feels he knows everything about football but then look at the team he selected last Sunday. Fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

But you refused to name the starting 11 that you say is an improvement and that's what the poster asked you to do.
    My point is that we have no improvement because we have a shyte defence. Defence is the foundation of any team.

Not only is our defence ****e, but the midfield is **** as well. Xhaka and Ramsey won't win a league, Ramsey will inevitably get injured so Coq and El Neny (who they tried to sell) will get plenty of game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think that's it between the fans and board/manager

Don't think there is any fixing the relationship

It depends on what he thinks is our best starting 11 from last year. He could argue that Ox was in our best 11 from last year, so losing him has weakened us.

In simple terms, we have the same defence as last year, but I would argue that replacing Monreal with Kolasinac would improve us there. Adding Lacazette to our attack improves us there. That makes our starting 11 better.

It depends on what he thinks is our best starting 11 from last year. He could argue that Ox was in our best 11 from last year, so losing him has weakened us.

In simple terms, we have the same defence as last year, but I would argue that replacing Monreal with Kolasinac would improve us there. Adding Lacazette to our attack improves us there. That makes our starting 11 better.
    On paper i'd agree but we have to see it improved on the pitch. Both could flop but hopefully not.
    My point was that with the rubbish defence we have not improved at all. We have conceded 8 already and our back-up defenders Chambers and Holden are not going to be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Wenger stopped commentary 3 years ago. He's in Paris tonight for something else, maybe to watch the game, maybe he was going to tie up Lemar! Who knows!

There was a photo doing the rounds of him in a commentary box, but that was from the last World Cup.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Wenger stopped commentary 3 years ago. He's in Paris tonight for something else, maybe to watch the game, maybe he was going to tie up Lemar! Who knows!

There was a photo doing the rounds of him in a commentary box, but that was from the last World Cup.
    The further he is away from the team the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If Wenger really wanted just money he would have gone to PSG years ago.

There is a much simpler theory to why we haven't signed anyone. Wenger was promised money and it was withdrawn/never backed up.

No matter what the real story is, Wenger will never come out and say anything against the board and they know they know that and know that he will just take the flak as usual. Every so often we hear leaks from the board talking **** about Wenger or declaring war chests are available but the problem with Wenger, in that respect, is that he will never call them on their bull**** and maybe that is part of the reason he is so well paid.

But **** it, from the boards perspective, it works and is working right now and is now being perpetuated by the media.

Wenger doesn't help himself at all by the way, and let's his mouth run far too often with the "we almost signed" bull**** and about how he lets the players be who they want to be. I genuinely think he needs media training because if he just kept his mouth shut half the time there would be a far greater respect for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Just like to say 'Matthieu Debuchy 'the new Winston Bogarde'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

farna_boy wrote: »
    If Wenger really wanted just money he would have gone to PSG years ago.

There is a much simpler theory to why we haven't signed anyone. Wenger was promised money and it was withdrawn/never backed up.

No matter what the real story is, Wenger will never come out and say anything against the board and they know they know that and know that he will just take the flak as usual. Every so often we hear leaks from the board talking **** about Wenger or declaring war chests are available but the problem with Wenger, in that respect, is that he will never call them on their bull**** and maybe that is part of the reason he is so well paid.

But **** it, from the boards perspective, it works and is working right now and is now being perpetuated by the media.

Wenger doesn't help himself at all by the way, and let's his mouth run far too often with the "we almost signed" bull**** and about how he lets the players be who they want to be. I genuinely think he needs media training because if he just kept his mouth shut half the time there would be a far greater respect for him.

It's his idiotic team selection and bullshít substitutions that make me have no respect for him. He is out of his depth at the moment and if he wants the fan's respect he should've left in the summer, instead of dragging us down the league as he strokes his ego

On paper i'd agree but we have to see it improved on the pitch. Both could flop but hopefully not.
    My point was that with the rubbish defence we have not improved at all. We have conceded 8 already and our back-up defenders Chambers and Holden are not going to be any better.

The discussion about how rubbish our defence is a completely different one to the point I was making.

I don't think our defence necessarily has to be a major weakness. With much the same personnel, I believe we had the second best defensive record season before last, and maybe 3rd best the year before. Both seasons we conceded around 36 goals (this is off the top of my head). There's no reason why the defence can't dramatically improve, but changes have to be made to how we play.

• Advertisement

The discussion about how rubbish our defence is a completely different one to the point I was making.

I don't think our defence necessarily has to be a major weakness. With much the same personnel, I believe we had the second best defensive record season before last, and maybe 3rd best the year before. Both seasons we conceded around 36 goals (this is off the top of my head). There's no reason why the defence can't dramatically improve, but changes have to be made to how we play.
    So we already have 25% of those goals conceded already with only 3 games gone. AND you think they will improve :D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement