Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Right. Enough of this b*llocks.

When're we playing again? Slimmed down the squad, now let's get a settled team and get the f*ck on with playing matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Having not strengthened enough I blame the board and I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that's not Wengers fault

But team selection and tactics are blading and are 100% his fault

We won't be a decent club until both change

So we already have 25% of those goals conceded already with only 3 games gone. AND you think they will improve :D.

Of course they will improve on their defensive performances from the first few matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    Of course they will improve on their defensive performances from the first few matches.
    So do you think that at the end of this season we will have conceded less than 36 goals and improve on last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Why? They're appallingly coached. Wenger doesnt even know what formation to play never mind which players to pick.

Its going to be a long hard season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Kos injured again

So do you think that at the end of this season we will have conceded less than 36 goals and improve on last season?

Last season we conceded 44. I guess there is a chance we could do better than that. Who knows.

I'm still not sure whether you're being serious, or deliberately going off on a complete tangent to any point I make. I said that there is evidence of us having decent defence in the not too distant past. I said nothing about us conceding less goals than we did two seasons ago. Who would make that claim after we've conceded 8 after 3 matches with the ridiculous team selections we've been playing?

keano_afc wrote: »
    Why? They're appallingly coached. Wenger doesnt even know what formation to play never mind which players to pick.

Its going to be a long hard season.

Happy to have a wager that we don't concede over 100 goals, which will happen if we don't improve.

Last season we conceded 44. I guess there is a chance we could do better than that. Who knows.

I'm still not sure whether you're being serious, or deliberately going off on a complete tangent to any point I make. I said that there is evidence of us having decent defence in the not too distant past. I said nothing about us conceding less goals than we did two seasons ago. Who would make that claim after we've conceded 8 after 3 matches with the ridiculous team selections we've been playing?

What makes you think we have a better 11 this season?
    Our results will prove whether we have or not surely.
    I'm merely trying to point out that we could have the best two goal scorers in the world but when we have a shocking defence leaking goals it negates their value to the team. One outweighs the other.

What makes you think we have a better 11 this season?
    Our results will prove whether we have or not surely.
    I'm merely trying to point out that we could have the best two goal scorers in the world but when we have a shocking defence leaking goals it negates their value to the team. One outweighs the other.

On paper we have a better starting 11 than last year. That's the point I was making, you know that's the point I was making, but you'd rather go off on a Tayto.

• Advertisement

On paper we have a better starting 11 than last year. That's the point I was making, you know that's the point I was making, but you'd rather go off on a Tayto.
    Football is played on grass though.
    We will know at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Having not strengthened enough I blame the board and I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that's not Wengers fault

But team selection and tactics are blading and are 100% his fault

We won't be a decent club until both change

Wenger has to take blame. He declined a Director of Football who's sole job would be to assist in signing players. Football is too complex now for a manager to have absolute power in coaching, training, tactics, scouting and player acquisitions.

I can't think of any other sport where the coach of the team gets full say on what players come it. They are too busy with team and game issues. Even Ferguson was a disaster in his latter years trying to juggle everything and his signings were terrible towards the end.

I can only think of Bill Belichick who can manage it all now a days and he just picks up homeless guys off the street and turns them into Superbowl winners.

Wenger doesn't allow anyone to have input in training, selections, tactics, signings. He has gone completely mental. Although the fact that a Director of Football wasn't pushed on him says a lot too.

Time up lads.
    Many of us knew we were getting nobody else in.
    They sold off the fringe players to make more money for Kronke's project in the U.S.
    I must look at the remaining squad tomorrow and review our chances but I am seriously lacking any faith. I hope the fans give Wenger hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Happy to have a wager that we don't concede over 100 goals, which will happen if we don't improve.

Well thats a pretty safe ceiling you've given yourself there in fairness.

Our centre back options: Mustafi (not trusted, manager wants him out), Kos (very fragile) Holding (confidence destroyed by the manager) Chambers (not trusted, manager wants him out) Mertesacker (not trusted by the manager, last season on the playing staff).

If you think that bunch are capable of an improvement on last season, good luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's his idiotic team selection and bullshít substitutions that make me have no respect for him. He is out of his depth at the moment and if he wants the fan's respect he should've left in the summer, instead of dragging us down the league as he strokes his ego

I genuinely believe last weekend was Wenger's attempt to force the board into giving him money. There is no other possible reason play Welbeck up front ahead of Lacazette, Giroud, Sanchez and **** it even Walcott.

Same goes for moving people around to play Ox and bbench Kola.

I mean if it worked and we got Lemar/Draxler, a CB and kept Sanchez, for the sake of losing one match it might have paid off and almost would have been worth it.

But I guess when the owner is building a new stadium elsewhere can anyone really be surprised that we didn't buy what we needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just like to say 'Matthieu Debuchy 'the new Winston Bogarde'

Bit harsh. Debuchy was an excellent full back before he came to the club. Id say it was the worst decision of his career to sign for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I think Holding, Kos, Mert and Monreal will be fine to fill 3 spots with Monreal and Kolasinac fine stand in options. Obviously there's something going on with Mustafi, but I liked what I saw from him last year. Chambers hopefully has recovered some of his mojo, I haven't seen much of him last year.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just like to say 'Matthieu Debuchy 'the new Winston Bogarde'

Bit harsh. Debuchy was an excellent full back before he came to the club. Id say it was the worst decision of his career to sign for us.
    Debuchy was excellent when he came first but he never recovered his confidence after 2 shocking injuries. Don't think you can blame Wenger on this one. Just this one mind you!

farna_boy wrote: »
    I genuinely believe last weekend was Wenger's attempt to force the board into giving him money. There is no other possible reason play Welbeck up front ahead of Lacazette, Giroud, Sanchez and **** it even Walcott.

Same goes for moving people around to play Ox and bbench Kola.

I mean if it worked and we got Lemar/Draxler, a CB and kept Sanchez, for the sake of losing one match it might have paid off and almost would have been worth it.

But I guess when the owner is building a new stadium elsewhere can anyone really be surprised that we didn't buy what we needed?

You honestly think Wenger put a team out away to Liverpool to be bashed so the board would sign some players? Lol

emmetlego wrote: »
    I think Holding, Kos, Mert and Monreal will be fine to fill 3 spots with Monreal and Kolasinac fine stand in options. Obviously there's something going on with Mustafi, but I liked what I saw from him last year. Chambers hopefully has recovered some of his mojo, I haven't seen much of him last year.

I dont see why we have to play a full back in the back 3 when were using wing backs? Surely should be 3 centre halfs at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well at least we can console ourselves that Chelsea had a worst transfer window than us!

How the hell do you let a player change his mind at the feckin medical after all the hard negotiating had been done????

I can just see Ivan dressing up as a fan now asking Alexis for his autograph on a miniature contract ;)

I agree, I'm just saying they're good stand ins!

emmetlego wrote: »
    I agree, I'm just saying they're good stand ins!

If we can see it it utterly baffles me how Wenger cant. Why do we keep making the same basic mistakes in the big away games. Just soak it up and play on the counter attack instead of going all out attack. Can our central midfielders really be that thick to keep on getting caught out ahead of the ball and leave our defense so wide open. Ive said it already its not personnel its the tactics we deploy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    You honestly think Wenger put a team out away to Liverpool to be bashed so the board would sign some players? Lol

It's a lot better than the alternative. "lol"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gandalf wrote: »
    Well at least we can console ourselves that Chelsea had a worst transfer window than us!

They bought three first team players in Morata, Rudiger and Bakayoko. They shipped out a disruptive Costa and Matic wanted to rejoin Jose.

Arsenal got Lacazette and Kolsacnic. Ye moved on Ox and a few squad players.

Chelsea did the better business there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

emmetkenny wrote: »
    They bought three first team players in Morata, Rudiger and Bakayoko. They shipped out a disruptive Costa and Matic wanted to rejoin Jose.

Arsenal got Lacazette and Kolsacnic. Ye moved on Ox and a few squad players.

Chelsea did the better business there.

They bought 3 starters, but lost 2 so are plus 1 (3-2=1)

We bought 2 first team starters and lost none so are plus 2 (2-0=2)

Looks like we did the better business (2>1). Plus we didn't have a player like Barkley humiliate us on the transfer deadline day with the world watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Chelsea won the league last year so we can't exactly slag them off. Still a bit funny though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Looks like we did the better business (2>1). Plus we didn't have a player like Barkley humiliate us on the transfer deadline day with the world watching.

Well if you look at it that way you did better but those three players will add more to Chelsea than the two you signed will add to Arsenal in my opinion.

Who do you think will score more Lacazette or Morata?

I think Lacazette will get around 15 but Morata will get a few more. Should be interesting to see them both this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

omega man wrote: »
    Chelsea won the league last year so we can't exactly slag them off. Still a bit funny though....

And Ox did leave for less money than he could have earned with us and Lemar just flat out refused to move to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

And Ox did leave for less money than he could have earned with us and Lemar just flat out refused to move to us.

Ox increased his wages about approximately 50% over what he earned with us. He might have earned more if we qualified for the UCL but that is far from a gimme. In the same sense tho he turned down even more money from Chelsea to join Liverpool so they still come out looking worse than us.

Also being rejected by Lemar is easier to take than being rejected by Llorente and Barkely in the same day

byrneg28 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ClassicCantona/status/903351203421138945

Thomas Lemar just scored this absolute screamer
    Wenger's gonna find him in the dressing room after his commentary and do his bit of magical persuasion :pac:

I didn't realise he was this good. I know I've only watched a bit of him play here but he has such flair going forward.

Its a shame Wenger didn't get to knock that out of him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Think Barkley humiliated himself moreso than chelsea did tbh.
    Travel all that way down for a medical then decide to stay put at Everton.
    All a bit daft imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ox increased his wages about approximately 50% over what he earned with us. He might have earned more if we qualified for the UCL but that is far from a gimme. In the same sense tho he turned down even more money from Chelsea to join Liverpool so they still come out looking worse than us.

Also being rejected by Lemar is easier to take than being rejected by Llorente and Barkely in the same day

We were only rejected by Ox and Barkley :D Spurs just beat us to the punch on Llorente

I will take the slagging over transfers any day over the constant state of humiliation/meltdown that Arsenal fans are in over results on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

:pac:

Llorente is 2nd choice spurs, would be 3rd choice Chelsea CF.

Barkley failed a medical.

Thats before you factor in Ox, a starter leaving, Sanchez all but out the door, a number of players on less than a year on their contracts but ya, Barkley failing a medical is humiliating compared to a token bid for Lemar to appease the fan base.

Great craic of a Thursday night. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

GavRedKing wrote: »
    :pac:

Llorente is 2nd choice spurs, would be 3rd choice Chelsea CF.

Barkley failed a medical.

Thats before you factor in Ox, a starter leaving, Sanchez all but out the door, a number of players on less than a year on their contracts but ya, Barkley failing a medical is humiliating compared to a token bid for Lemar to appease the fan base.

Great craic of a Thursday night. :pac:

Meh laugh away, there's nothing new here for us, same thing for last 10+ years. The only funny thing is that we keep falling for it at the start of every summer that something will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Lukker- wrote: »
    We were only rejected by Ox and Barkley :D Spurs just beat us to the punch on Llorente

I will take the slagging over transfers any day over the constant state of humiliation/meltdown that Arsenal fans are in over results on the pitch!

Season is only three games in and don't forget yas finished mid table only a year ago. Have to go back 20 years since that happened to Arsenal.

Que Chelsea fans "Well when was the last time yas won the league, or the champions league" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Season is only three games in and don't forget yas finished mid table only a year ago. Have to go back 20 years since that happened to Arsenal.

Que Chelsea fans "Well when was the last time yas won the league, or the champions league" :pac:

Nah too easy.
    I'd go with when was the last time ye won A game?!!
    /Bants

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Meh laugh away, there's nothing new here for us, same thing for last 10+ years. The only funny thing is that we keep falling for it at the start of every summer that something will change.

Almost feel sorry for ye tbh, must be a pain in the arse being owned by someone like Kroenke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Panthro wrote: »
    Nah too easy.
    I'd go with when was the last time ye won A game?!!
    /Bants
    Almost feel sorry for ye tbh, must be a pain in the arse being owned by someone like Kroenke

Yeah all joking aside, if Arsenal had a more competent owner/board and a manager that isn't past it, than Arsenal would be up there challenging for the premier league and giving it a good go in the champions league. The current situation that Arsenal are in is all self inflicted imo. Heartbreaking as a lifelong fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We're the new Newcastle.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Well thats a pretty safe ceiling you've given yourself there in fairness.

Our centre back options: Mustafi (not trusted, manager wants him out), Kos (very fragile) Holding (confidence destroyed by the manager) Chambers (not trusted, manager wants him out) Mertesacker (not trusted by the manager, last season on the playing staff).

If you think that bunch are capable of an improvement on last season, good luck to you.

I made a simple point that our starting 11 is better than last year. I would argue the Kolasinac and Lacazette come into the starting 11, replacing players that aren't as good as them. It's very simple.

Regarding the defence, I didn't say they would improve on last season. I said they will improve on what we've seen in the last few matches. We've been shoe-horning Ox into a 'defensive' position, and it has been a mess. If they sort it out, there is a chance we could concede less than the 44 from last season. It would take a huge turnaround, though.

How many of our conceded goals so far are purely down to our CB's? I would argue that our CB's have been put under too much pressure by no protection from the midfield, and wingbacks who think they are winger's, and forget the 'back' part in their position name. As soon as we get the ball, it goes to Xhaka, and already Bellerin, Ox and Ramsey are somewhere near the opposition box. He has nobody to pass to.

What's the solution? I have no idea, but our midfield needs to change. Ramsey needs to be told to sit back, or we play Ramsey up in place of Ozil when he's sold to Barca, and then make Coq or Elneny sit back with Xhaka. We go back to 4 at the back, and Bellerin remembers that he's a defender.

This article was posted a few days ago, and it outlines the importance of us having someone like Coq in the midfield. The problem is that Coq is a liability with the ball, and takes too much from our attack, and we have nobody else who would really play that role willingly. Xhaka is just way too slow on the turn, so he could never play it. The way that guy moves is bizarre....he's not even that big, but his turning circle seems worse than Merts.

We will know a lot after the team selection for Bournemouth. Will Wenger admit that he's been crazy with his selections, or will he persevere? If he makes similar selections (Fullbacks at CB, Welbeck starting, Laca benched etc), then I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Whatever about this transfer window, I reckon next Summer's will be far worse, especially if we don't qualify for the CL. The loss of Sanchez and Ozil and all those other out of contract players without a fee will mean we'll be scraping the barrell for replacements unless the owners get their hands in their pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Appreciate Arsenal are nothing but consistent but god it's dull (imo) Personally speaking I'd take the cycle of mid table, then win the league every time. Or even a couple of barren years to actually win one of the premier competitions. Instead of getting a good participant medal. Half the fun is the ups and downs, but Arsenal is less like a roller-coaster at a theme park and more like a monorail.

It's the whole top four thing which has brainwashed football fans, not just Arsenal fans. Years ago finishing in top four after significant investment, but no closer to winning the league, wouldn't be a cause to celebrate a job well done it would get a team the title of "nearly men".

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Yeah all joking aside, if Arsenal had a more competent owner/board and a manager that isn't past it, than Arsenal would be up there challenging for the premier league and giving it a good go in the champions league. The current situation that Arsenal are in is all self inflicted imo. Heartbreaking as a lifelong fan.

I do feel your pain.

Whats your feeling though is this going to be Wengers last season and if it is who do you see following him?

Even if Arsenal fail to qualify for CL again this year I don't see them having difficulty attracting one of the top managers and I would have though someone like Simeone would be perfect after Wenger as some steel most likely would be needed.

Alexis week just gets better and better. Chile lost 3 - 0 to Paraguay.

Worried that Kos played with an injury for most of the 2nd half last night. Hope no long term damage was done.

Lemar scored twice last night. The first a beaut, the second taking the ball of Lacazette's toes as he shaped to score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

What's with all the slagging of Chelsea lads? They finished 18 points ahead of Arsenal last season and managed to spend money as opposed to Arsenal making a profit. Getting rid of Matic mightn't have been ideal but they went on to sign 2 midfielders

Arsenal can still have a decent season but their "efforts" to improve the squad in order to be able to compete have been pathetic. Dreading Chelsea, United, City & Spurs away and I'll sure there'll be other horror shows along the way. I can just see Sanchez trying to force his way out again in January

You couldnt make it up

I think Keano just did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

L'prof wrote: »
    I can just see Sanchez trying to force his way out again in January

But did he try and force his way out? He didn't put in a Transfer request as far as I know (I know it was reported but Arsenal denied it), he is just in demand which to be honest is understandable as he is world class and Arsenal have been inept enough to leave his contract situation dwindle into the final year. The more likely scenario as Alexis seems to like the green stuff is he will wait until the summer and get an enormously stupid signing on fee from PSG or Man City or AN Other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

EVERYBODY is missing the point here, it doesnt matter what players we have left or players that we should have or could have bought. The main problem here is Wenger, we could have the world XI playing for us and we would still **** it up.

Wenger needs to go first and foremost. Only then will the club steady itself.....why on earth would Lemar or anyone else join this club the state its in!!

We need a strong passionate manager that breeds confidence and passion (Diego Simione or the like) and wont be bullied by the board.

I understand and agree Wenger needs to go ASAP, but first and foremost for me is Stan Kronke. No point in getting a new manager as long as that cash bleeder owns our club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement