Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

emmetlego wrote: »
    I understand and agree Wenger needs to go ASAP, but first and foremost for me is Stan Kronke. No point in getting a new manager as long as that cash bleeder owns our club.
    A different manager would make this team much better than it is currently performing. We have some great players in our team, but Wenger can't make them perform. A new manager that could is what is needed above all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I understand and agree Wenger needs to go ASAP, but first and foremost for me is Stan Kronke. No point in getting a new manager as long as that cash bleeder owns our club.

Yep Kroenke is the main issue, Wenger is just a symptom of the overall disease. Any other owner who has an interest in the actual success of the club would have fired Wenger ages ago. It suits Kroenke to have a manager who is willing to take the obvious restrictions that are in place.

Removing Wenger and bringing a new name into a situation like this would be disastrous. Firstly no top level manager would willingly put themselves into a situation like that, who does that leave as managerial candidates?

Kroenke has to go but I don't see him budging until at least 2019, when the LA Rams stadium is due to complete as he is using Arsenal as an asset against the loans secured for the building of that Arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So lets just say that Kroenke went tomorrow, everything would be right with the club from then on?

I admit that he is a huge factor in the way the club is run and he needs to leave also but there are clubs with half the strength and quality of our squad and are a MUCH better teamm, that falls at Wengers door. The squad we have now is PURELY down to Wenger. He has had full control over the lot of it and now finds himself surrounded by mediocre players and under performing world class players, thats all Wenger.

And all this instability will rumble on for the rest of the year now matter what happens as Sanchez is still here, he is gonna be chased by all the clubs and it will intensify in December and January when he signs a pre contract with who ever and the media will run it for the rest of the year

#Shaaaaambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I do feel your pain.

Whats your feeling though is this going to be Wengers last season and if it is who do you see following him?

Even if Arsenal fail to qualify for CL again this year I don't see them having difficulty attracting one of the top managers and I would have though someone like Simeone would be perfect after Wenger as some steel most likely would be needed.

No I'd be shocked if Wenger doesn't see out his final two years and I wouldn't be surprised if he extended it.

From what I've read and listened to on podcasts etc, that one of the reasons they extended Wengers contract was because without him they'd have to hire a director of football, a new manager etc as he basically does everything when it comes to the footballing side. Basically Wenger has too much power and i can't see that changing in two years time. His "boss" Gazidis was overruled by Kroenke over the summer in giving a new contract to Wenger, so I'm surprised that Gazidis is still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I'm surprised that Gazidis is still around.

Probably because his stock has dropped so much with his flip flopping at Arsenal he doesn't have anything else he can do.

If Kroenke went tomorrow then the new owner would clean house, Wenger would go to and the vast majority of the upper management as well.

Wenger is the problem now, he has done Herculean feats for us in the past but it is obvious that he is no longer a viable manager of a top team and has not been for at least eight years. The incompetence is just getting more pronounced in the last couple of years. It is a real shame because he is destroying his legacy now. Instead of remember his achievements, the league wins, the invincibles, the most FA Cups by a Manager he is going to be remembered as part of the team that destroyed the club, that made senile team selections, that allowed world class players slip away from our team at bargain basement rates.

Yes you are right our core players are good on paper and maybe a new manager would get them performing better but at the end of the day the team needs investment from the owners and that will not be forthcoming until after 2019 and in reality looking at how Kroenke conducts business in his other franchises not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

So we made. 30m profit this window

The very amount we lost out on with having no Champs League

So we made. 30m profit this window

The very amount we lost out on with having no Champs League

YAY we win at "Accountancy Fantasy Football Manager!"

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Would Sanchez be available to buy in January for a club still in the CL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Would Sanchez be available to buy in January for a club still in the CL?

Clubs can register one player who would be cup tied normally as long its in a different competition so Sanchez would be eligible to play CL for a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Wenger is this era's Brian Clough. Forest left him in there years to long with terrible results with respect to their competitiveness & standing, & whereas Arsenal are a bigger club than Forest & should be able to at least compenstae somewhat to continue down this path indefinitely will ultimately damage the club massively. Taking off the Arsenal tinted glasses, this is a season we could easily finish 8th, and with large scale departures on the horizon next summer & an owner not willing to upset his financial wheeling & dealing god only kn0ws where we'll stand in a years time. Its a vicious circle & it shows no signs of changing until serious changes in the way the club is managed are carried out.

I remember the early 90's & finishing 6th & getting into the UEFA cup being the pinnacle of our expectations, I had hoped those days were gone, it appears however that football is indeed cyclical & we're heading back there at a rate of knots...

Football wise we are indeed a bit of a shambles, but at the end of the day the clubs primary function appears now to be an asset for balancing books against loans & suchlike and we appear to be performing that function adequately to not rock the boat, until that changes the football is a sideshow & will be treated as such... not what fans want to hear obviously, but sadly it suits the owners needs perfectly & its going to take a huge hit to the club as a business concern to change that IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

So now that the transfer window has closed and the squad is basically set in stone for the season.

Goalkeepers
    Cech, Ospina. Basically the same as last season, however an injury to either could leave us short with untested youth keepers the only ones left.

Fullbacks
    Bellerin, Debuchy :pac:
    Monreal, Kolasinac. In theory it's strong enough and I reckon Mustafi will play right back the odd time if needed as I really don't see Debuchy getting a game. Chambers has also played there before, so would be a stopgap solution. Rhys Nelson could also play rwb in the cups.

Centre Backs
    Mertesacker, Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers. Effectively the same as last season and there are plenty of bodies there to deal with an injury crisis. Koscielny and Mertesacker are aging, so it's time one of the younger lads pushed for a spot.

Central Midfielders
    Ramsey, Xhaka, Coquelin, El Neny, Wilshere, Cazorla. Again same as last season, plenty of numbers there again, but I still think it's quite a weakness there. Wilshere and Cazorla will be lucky to get game time this season. I dread this season going up to Old Trafford with a midfield of Coquelin and El Neny!

Attacking Midfielders/wideplayers
    Ozil, Walcott, Alexis, Iwobi, Welbeck Again similar to last season. I'm hoping that Iwobi will play more than Walcott, hoping his days are numbered.

Forward/Striker
    Giroud, Lacazette. A better set of strikers than last season, Giroud has proven that he offers something different in certain games and is a good weapon to come off the bench. If Lacazette settles in he could be a great scorer for the club. Shows he knows where the goal is in his two starts.

Having my glass half full Looking at the first 11 there, it is a bit stronger than last season on paper. The squad is essentially the same as last season. The only loss really was the Ox, but he was a bit part player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The club may have a bit of a job to do on Alexis. Reports that he doesn't want to play again for Arsenal and blaming the club for the failure to get his transfer to City done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

greendom wrote: »
    The club may have a bit of a job to do on Alexis. Reports that he doesn't want to play again for Arsenal and blaming the club for the failure to get his transfer to City done.

Rumours of Barca looking at Sanchez and Ozil before their window shuts. Its not over yet for Arsenal

Boohoo to both him and city. He could have handed in a transfer request early in the summer, they could have paid crazy money for him early in the summer.

Has the vote for the changing of the window happened yet? The sooner they close it before the season starts, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Rumours of Barca looking at Sanchez and Ozil before their window shuts. Its not over yet for Arsenal

Someone give them a shove.

They don't wanna be here, fine, p*ss off and do your stropping somewhere else.

If he throws a strop so be it. The money was no use to us as it wouldn't have been spent. Arsenal had the whole summer to get a replacement in when they knew Sanchez wasn't signing. Complete mess from the club and finishing the summer in a net profit is shameful.

If he throws a strop so be it. The money was no use to us as it wouldn't have been spent. Arsenal had the whole summer to get a replacement in when they knew Sanchez wasn't signing. Complete mess from the club and finishing the summer in a net profit is shameful.

That's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't remember that many people being happy when Van Persie was sold to United.

And City are threatening to take Arsenal to court for not going through with the Sanchez deal :D

Why did they wait until 6 hours before the end of the window to make a bid ?
    Idiots!

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/matias_grez/status/903570025507901440

Yeah good luck with that one City. Some Chilean journalist reporting this.

And City are threatening to take Arsenal to court for not going through with the Sanchez deal :D

Why did they wait until 6 hours before the end of the window to make a bid ?
    Idiots!

There was some timeline of why it happened so late, but they knew it was always pending us getting a replacement in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lol City are so butthurt. Hope he joins a foreign club today, would be a laugh. They are acting so entitled, expecting ye to sell without a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I bet he hasn't refused his wages from Arsenal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sanchez can fúck right off.

Sign, go or be quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Just imagine what would happen if Kroenke did sell to Usmanov.

Here's what would happen ..... Usmanov is a known fan of Wenger so he would offer Wenger a new 3 year contact and then give him gizzilions to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Wenger stopped commentary 3 years ago. He's in Paris tonight for something else, maybe to watch the game, maybe he was going to tie up Lemar! Who knows!

There was a photo doing the rounds of him in a commentary box, but that was from the last World Cup.

Nah! He was on the half time panel for the Wales Russia Euro game on French TV last summer. :mad:

I remember being in Tours with the Irish support that evening & the locals getting upset when I gave Wonga some "critical analysis" regarding his future at Arsene Stanley PLC! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

So basically we've another few years of mediocrity while another stadium is built. Sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Basil3 wrote: »
    Has the vote for the changing of the window happened yet? The sooner they close it before the season starts, the better.

I'd be against that because the vote was only rumoured to be for the premier league. Absolutely no point in closing the window and having all your business done if foreign clubs can still sign English playera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

People are saying what use would the money be if we sold Sanchez but what use is an unhappy player that could well down tools and be absolute poison in the dressing room for the forseeable future? What a sh!tshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

sonic85 wrote: »
    People are saying what use would the money be if we sold Sanchez but what use is an unhappy player that could well down tools and be absolute poison in the dressing room for the forseeable future? What a sh!tshow

If he does that, our under 23's will have a new forward. No player is bigger than the club, he can sulk in the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Ozil to Barca is the latest rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

If he does that, our under 23's will have a new forward. No player is bigger than the club, he can sulk in the reserves.

Personally I'd rather be rid of him. I suppose though it's all just speculation at the moment but it'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few days and weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wenger will probably still play him anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I really hope there's war at the next home game and that Wenger feels the brunt of it.

I really hope there's war at the next home game and that Wenger feels the brunt of it.

I must be mad - I hope the team plays well and wins!

So do all of us BUT we need rid of Wenger. At the moment that is the most important thing for Arsenal unless you personally think he can still win things.
    I don't and I don't believe the players do either.

So do all of us BUT we need rid of Wenger. At the moment that is the most important thing for Arsenal unless you personally think he can still win things.
    I don't and I don't believe the players do either.

Owner first

Then Wenger

Owner first

Then Wenger

They're both in cahoots as far as i'm concerned.
    Two sides of the same coin.

• Advertisement

Owner first

Then Wenger
    Changing the owner now won't improve our team this season, changing the manager will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

They're both in cahoots as far as i'm concerned.
    Two sides of the same coin.

He (Kronke) won't spend money on players what makes you think he will spend on a manager? If Wenger goes first, I fully expect the board to get someone like Harry or Pardew to take over.

farna_boy wrote: »
    He (Kronke) won't spend money on players what makes you think he will spend on a manager? If Wenger goes first, I fully expect the board to get someone like Harry or Pardew to take over.

I don't see it happening that way.
    They would know they'd have to get someone better. A worse manager would only attract the same kind of attention. They won't want more of the same.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Owner first

Then Wenger
    Changing the owner now won't improve our team this season, changing the manager will

I don't no would it

A new manager would a bit of backbone won't put up with the ****e that's going on st boardroom level

Better change owners then manager me thinks

I don't no would it

A new manager would a bit of backbone won't put up with the ****e that's going on st boardroom level

Better change owners then manager me thinks
    Of course we need to be rid of Kronke and Co. but Wenger is their front man so he has to go first imo.
    You have to get past the bodyguard first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Doesn't matter a sh1te what we want. Wenger and Stan are around for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter a sh1te what we want. Wenger and Stan are around for the foreseeable future whether we like it or not
    I know that, it's why I want protests. Otherwise it's more years of the same shyte. Protests and media coverage of it is the only thing left for Arsenal fans. They don't like bad press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Unless you get a stadium that's more or less empty for a big game (will never happen), no amount of protesting is going to make a sign of difference. The owners have proved for a long time now that they don't give a tupennies fcuk about the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads I would love if Wenger some how got the heave ho in the next few weeks and Benitez came in to replace him , Be a great fit for us I think and he won't be long more at Newcastle by the looks of it

wonga77 wrote: »
    Unless you get a stadium that's more or less empty for a big game (will never happen), no amount of protesting is going to make a sign of difference. The owners have proved for a long time now that they don't give a tupennies fcuk about the fans
    They didn't like the planes and the bit of booing last season. It led to Wenger making a plea to the fans to get behind the team and Gazidis making the "catalyst for change" promise that was never kept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Lads I would love if Wenger some how got the heave ho in the next few weeks and Benitez came in to replace him , Be a great fit for us I think and he won't be long more at Newcastle by the looks of it

Hasn't Rafa had issues with handling big players with big ego's? I could be completely wrong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement