Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Interesting tweet from Ornstein summarising the transfer window. Such a cluster fcuk of players that wanted to go and their departure depended on others going etc and deals falling through. Bellering also told Wenger he wanted to leave, I thought that might be media nonsense.
    Wenger was stunned and bitterly disappointed at Ox refusing a contract and "did not hold back" with Ox when he told him he wanted out, would love to have heard that conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

wonga77 wrote: »
    Interesting tweet from Ornstein summarising the transfer window. Such a cluster fcuk of players that wanted to go and their departure depended on others going etc and deals falling through. Bellering also told Wenger he wanted to leave, I thought that might be media nonsense.
    Wenger was stunned and bitterly disappointed at Ox refusing a contract and "did not hold back" with Ox when he told him he wanted out, would love to have heard that conversation

there's this article on beeb about signings, targets etc

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41145505

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Kronke won't be putting a penny in? Huge surprise that :-(

Get out of our club!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/09/gazidis-liverpool-result-put-a-negative-spin-on-our-transfer-window/

If anyone is ever in any doubt just how out of touch these clowns are with the fans and just general reality, Gazidis' leaked email should put your mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Unless we get new owners our beloved club is in big trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I keep hearing about the premier league salary cap/control rules and that Arsenals wage bill is maxed out in terms of this. Hence the reason that was given for no more players coming in.
    What exactly is the penalty for breaching this I wonder? And are Man City, Utd, Chelsea etc really complying with this? As the Arsenal big wigs are using it as an excuse for not bringing in more players after making a £30m profit ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

keano_afc wrote: »
    http://news.arseblog.com/2017/09/gazidis-liverpool-result-put-a-negative-spin-on-our-transfer-window/

If anyone is ever in any doubt just how out of touch these clowns are with the fans and just general reality, Gazidis' leaked email should put your mind at ease.
    In fairness he is right. If we beat Stoke 2-0 and then went to beat Liverpool 4-0 and we had signed Lacazette and Kolasinac, we'd all be here saying we were looking forward to the season and we had a squad that might do it.

Not saying that he is totally with it, but he is right that results differs opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I keep hearing about the premier league salary cap/control rules and that Arsenals wage bill is maxed out in terms of this. Hence the reason that was given for no more players coming in.
    What exactly is the penalty for breaching this I wonder? And are Man City, Utd, Chelsea etc really complying with this? As the Arsenal big wigs are using it as an excuse for not bringing in more players after making a £30m profit ffs.
    Don't think utd have to worry about it as their revenue is immense, the other 2 certainly must be pushing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is it not based on a % increase on wages/transfers on previous year.

Personally, I wouldn't care so much if we had the squad we do and everyone wants to play. The reality is we have a good chunk of the squad that don't want to be there, or know that the club wanted rid of them this summer.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't care so much if we had the squad we do and everyone wants to play. The reality is we have a good chunk of the squad that don't want to be there, or know that the club wanted rid of them this summer.

Yes Wenger in his prime would struggle to turn this around and he's far from his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »
    In fairness he is right. If we beat Stoke 2-0 and then went to beat Liverpool 4-0 and we had signed Lacazette and Kolasinac, we'd all be here saying we were looking forward to the season and we had a squad that might do it.

Not saying that he is totally with it, but he is right that results differs opinions.
    Of course results matter.
    So do our previous results from other hammerings we got, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern etc which resulted in no change of tact.
    We learn nothing at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah, he's rubbish...

LkYKFq4.png

It must be demoralising when you consistently create the most chances in the league, but we don't have a striker to put them away. At least now we have Lacazette, who I think had the highest conversion rate in Europe last year.....that's assuming he gets played and doesn't sit on the bench.

Where did I say he was rubbish??? You really need to read peoples posts and stop trolling with your own narrow minded views and get rid of that quotemaster2000 app you must be using. :rolleyes:

The whole team have been incredibly poor not just Ozil, but the hypocrite that he is (Ozil) he is talking to the media to get behind the team AND HE WONT EVEN SIGN A NEW CONTRACT TO SHOW HOW COMMITTED HE IS!!!

I mean come on....ffs!

Ornstein is on someone's tit. Read through all that and try to take it all at face value. It isn't even internally logically consistent. Let alone the crumbs standing up for Wenger and saying Kroenke is desperate to win trophies. If he ever gets off the licence fee tit he'll have a consultancy sideline at Arsenal for sure.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Where did I say he was rubbish??? You really need to read peoples posts and stop trolling with your own narrow minded views and get rid of that quotemaster2000 app you must be using. :rolleyes:

The whole team have been incredibly poor not just Ozil, but the hypocrite that he is (Ozil) he is talking to the media to get behind the team AND HE WONT EVEN SIGN A NEW CONTRACT TO SHOW HOW COMMITTED HE IS!!!

I mean come on....ffs!

You said Ozil would not dream of playing the way he does at Arsenal for Germany, he would be dragged off after 15mins.

This implies that he plays poorly, or has a poor attitude. His stats show that since he came to the premier league, he has consistently been one of the best (if not the best) creative players. Maybe his poor attitude (if that's what you're implying) can be overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

It's not that I want us to lose at home to Bournemouth, I just don't care if we do or not. Not one fcuk do I care.

30 years supporting this club and that's how I now feel. Thanks Kroenke, Gazidis and Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What exactly is the penalty for breaching this I wonder?

Wondering this myself. Probably a warning for a first offence. It's not as of they are gonna dock us points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

omega man wrote: »
    It's not that I want us to lose at home to Bournemouth, I just don't care if we do or not. Not one fcuk do I care.

30 years supporting this club and that's how I now feel. Thanks Kroenke, Gazidis and Wenger.

I know the feeling, I really feel the same. We will have to hit rock bottom for things to change, if that means losing the next 3 or 4 games to really highlight what only the board and Wenger cant see then so be it.

I mean as long as we are not relegated, it will be seen as a major coup by the board by their standards at this rate.

Wenger is at it again, looking for support. I expected this.
    I wonder if he wrote Ozil's script yesterday.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11020336/arsene-wenger-says-his-arsenal-team-need-the-fans-support-ahead-of-crucial-bournemouth-game

• Advertisement

If the players start doing their business and putting in a shift then I've no doubt that the fans will get behind them. Likewise, if Wenger puts his best foot forward and picks a proper fcuking starting 11 then he might escape a bit of fire too.

If the players start doing their business and putting in a shift then I've no doubt that the fans will get behind them. Likewise, if Wenger puts his best foot forward and picks a proper fcuking starting 11 then he might escape a bit of fire too.

I'll support the team as always but not that joker.

It's time for a huge push from the support base now. Need a coordinated effort from all the supporters groups to get that cancer Kronke out and Wenger with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Ugh. Now the window is shut, I'd prefer to try and put some distance between ourselves and all the back room crap.

On paper, the squad still isn't too bad. The question is, how the hell do we fix that massive gaping hole between our midfield and defence? I suspect a move back to a 4 man defence is on the cards, though how that pans yet out I don't know. Thinking about a few options:

1) Revert to 4-2-3-1, play Coquelin and Elneny as a double pivot. Means we would struggling to impose ourselves possession wise but would give us a much more solid base in front of defence than we have now and would really free up our wing backs when it comes to taking the ball out of defence. Another variant could be with one of Elneny/Coquelin in the current double pivot alongside Xhaka, with Ramsey ahead of him and Ozil at right inside forward. Ozil may not be too happy, but it gives him licence to roam.

2) 4-1-2-3 with a dedicated screener. Coquelin would be the obvious choice for the holder, with Ozil and Ramsey ahead of him. Still risks leaving us a bit light though when Ramsey makes those forward runs of his, you could perhaps put Xhaka in there instead and Ramsey back on the right inside forward role where he was pretty useful at times before.

3) 4-4-2. Lacazette leading the line with Sanchez playing off him. Ozil at the head of a diamond with Coquelin at it's base, Ramsey and Xhaka shuttling. Quite narrow on paper, but the extra bodies in midfield would mean the full backs have as much freedom as they do now.

Anybody else have any ideas on how we might play between now and Christmas?

Ugh. Now the window is shut, I'd prefer to try and put some distance between ourselves and all the back room crap.

On paper, the squad still isn't too bad. The question is, how the hell do we fix that massive gaping hole between our midfield and defence? I suspect a move back to a 4 man defence is on the cards, though how that pans yet out I don't know. Thinking about a few options:

1) Revert to 4-2-3-1, play Coquelin and Elneny as a double pivot. Means we would struggling to impose ourselves possession wise but would give us a much more solid base in front of defence than we have now and would really free up our wing backs when it comes to taking the ball out of defence. Another variant could be with one of Elneny/Coquelin in the current double pivot alongside Xhaka, with Ramsey ahead of him and Ozil at right inside forward. Ozil may not be too happy, but it gives him licence to roam.

2) 4-1-2-3 with a dedicated screener. Coquelin would be the obvious choice for the holder, with Ozil and Ramsey ahead of him. Still risks leaving us a bit light though when Ramsey makes those forward runs of his, you could perhaps put Xhaka in there instead and Ramsey back on the right inside forward role where he was pretty useful at times before.

3) 4-4-2. Lacazette leading the line with Sanchez playing off him. Ozil at the head of a diamond with Coquelin at it's base, Ramsey and Xhaka shuttling. Quite narrow on paper, but the extra bodies in midfield would mean the full backs have as much freedom as they do now.

Anybody else have any ideas on how we might play between now and Christmas?
    Yes. I'd play a 4-2-3-1 too, back 4 with Xhaka and Coq as DM's. I'd drop Ramsey and play Ozil just ahead of the DM's with Sanchez on the left and Walcott (mush as I detest him) on the right. Lacazette or Giroud up front.
    I'd warn Sanchez and Wally about their defensive duties too. There's little else we can do. There's times when I'd play Giroud ahead of Lacazette just for his defensive qualities at corners because our CB's are very poor in the air.

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Tough sh1t on her, she sold out for the money, no point crying about it now even if she may have a guilty conscience

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Tough sh1t on her, she sold out for the money, no point crying about it now even if she may have a guilty conscience
    Still it goes to show that people now know what Kronke is like.
    Can anyone here see any way to get rid of him other than hiring a hit man?

Still it goes to show that people now know what Kronke is like.
    Can anyone here see any way to get rid of him other than hiring a hit man?
    no hiring required, I'll take him out!

• Advertisement

Bracewell-Smith could have sold those shares to Usmanov or anyone else but she sold them to kroenke. She is trying to save face now but she is only another leech that was more the problem then solution for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Bracewell-Smith could have sold those shares to Usmanov or anyone else but she sold them to kroenke. She is trying to save face now but she is only another leech that was more the problem then solution for years.

I'd love to see the grounds for the action, my sister is a solicitor so going to ask if she has access to full article.

It was her choice at the end of the day and I suspect money was the decider

A mate has supposedly sorted tickets for the match this weekend.

Ireland match at the Aviva tonight, cricket at Lord's Friday, match at the Emirates on Saturday. Decent sporting week, although don't know how enjoyable it will be. Really interested to see what the atmosphere is gonna be like at the Emirates. Last time I was there, it was bad enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I was happy enough to see the international break after the Liverpool disaster, but being bored out of my mind for the last Ireland game...bring back Arsenal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

I was happy enough to see the international break after the Liverpool disaster, but being bored out of my mind for the last Ireland game...bring back Arsenal :pac:

Heh was thinking oh thank fook Ireland providing a bit of a break from watching the **** show going on with our lot especially 3 mins in. Then they returned to their true form & were lucky to hold on to 1-1 versus bloody Georgia! So I'm of the same mind now, we better beat this lot on Saturday or I can only imagine the toxicity of the Emirates!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If the price was Arsenal being relegated i would gladly pay it to never have to experience another international break. Just decide the matches outside of the major tournaments in Football Manager ffs.

• Advertisement

Alexis seems to have more problems in Chile than in London. Perhaps it will be a blessed relief to get back to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

greendom wrote: »
    Alexis seems to have more problems in Chile than in London.  Perhaps it will be a blessed relief to get back to the UK
    what problems?

what problems?
    Chile lost both of their World Cup qualifiers and are now in danger of missing out on next year's World Cup.

Alexis is receiving much of the blame and he posted a long message on instagram complaining about it (with a pic of him after last year's cup final with a Chile flag over his shoulders)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Here's what he said according to arseblog:
    You get tired of being criticized with reason and without reason, you get tired of those who want you beaten, you get tired of saying to yourself “once more I’ll get up” after crying after a defeat, and you get tired of telling the world and people who are with you that everything is going well. And the worst thing, that no one ever realizes how that makes you feel … I wear the number 7 of Chile and it’s a huge responsibility, that’s why I’m sorry that journalists and bad people criticize without knowing …

The arsecast from this morning was very enlightening and damning on the club's summer business and Ornstein is diplomatic, but you can read between the lines very easily. Club is 5ucked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

emmetlego wrote: »
    The arsecast from this morning was very enlightening and damning on the club's summer business and Ornstein is diplomatic, but you can read between the lines very easily. Club is 5ucked up

A decent summary on below link. A good read despite the PR slant from Ornstein.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/6yc0zq/?utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=f6ed706801d54632b53232e788b0a2a9&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=6yc0zq

I dont know if reading that has made me depressed or angry. Maybe both

omega man wrote: »

Thanks for that. Started listening to the Arsecast last night, but didn't get a chance to finish today.

Don't know how much of it I actually believe. Definitely nothing positive coming out of it.

Regarding shirt numbers and the whole Perez thing, it does seem strange. Look at Özil who clearly wants the 10 jersey, but it's been held for Wilshire who hasnt figured in Wenger's plans for a long time now. I'm sure part of the özil negotiations would include his shirt number.

None of that stuff explains Wenger's team selections, poor motivational skills and why the team have no fight in them.

Arsenal have laid out the vision for the club to future players and to former players like Robin van Persie, but Arsenal have perhaps focused more on improving their academy facilities etc, rather than the squad itself.

In all fairness how long did they expect the likes of Van Persie to stick around. A players career is a short time whereas the club were out for a long term project.
    Very interesting regarding Perez(who I feel very sorry for) Mustafi and Ox. If Sanchez is so eager to hang around London then maybe it's Chelsea he'll go to next year.
    Reading all that it would appear that Wenger doesn't have the full backing of the club but they seem afraid to part ways with him all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Arsenal have laid out the vision for the club to future players and to former players like Robin van Persie, but Arsenal have perhaps focused more on improving their academy facilities etc, rather than the squad itself.

In all fairness how long did they expect the likes of Van Persie to stick around. A players career is a short time whereas the club were out for a long term project.
    Very interesting regarding Perez(who I feel very sorry for) Mustafi and Ox. If Sanchez is so eager to hang around London then maybe it's Chelsea he'll go to next year.
    Reading all that it would appear that Wenger doesn't have the full backing of the club but they seem afraid to part ways with him all the same

Arsenal paid for their own stupidity/ loyalty to the likes of RVP, etc, players who have been injured more times than anything else. They should have been out on their ear, not given more contracts. And then these players get fit and hit a little bit of form and **** off. Lack of ruthlessness has come back to bite them on more than one occasion.

Sanchez latest tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Ornstein's interview was interesting but still doesn't give us a clear picture of why the club appeared so muddled this summer. I'm guessing, but I suspect Wenger and Gazidis have been played by Kroenke to a degree. Selling players before we buy suggests a need to keep a certain level of cash on the books, and keeping Wenger presents an outward appearance of stability. I'd say it's all about maintaining asset values.

The big question for me is what did Kroenke say to Wenger to get him to sign on the dotted line. If Wenger was promised something, and didn't get it before the window ended, that might go some way to explain the muddled starting 11 against Liverpool. I really hope Wenger writes a book on all this someday, I'd say there's a lot more going on than most realise.

I remember reading a few years back that Wenger has every intention of writing an autobiography, but he won't start it until he's retired. Really hope it's true because regardless what state the club is in now, that'll be a fantastic read

I remember reading a few years back that Wenger has every intention of writing an autobiography, but he won't start it until he's retired. Really hope it's true because regardless what state the club is in now, that'll be a fantastic read
    If it's anything like the last team he picked the start will be in the middle and the end near the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Yeah I can't wait for the autobiography. I'm a big fan of wengers views on things.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement