Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Asleep! Got lucky there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Our CB's beaten in the air again. Poor defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Decent finish from Welbeck to be fair.

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Lovely goal from Welbeck. Great player to have in the squad.

Great finish from Welbeck. So good to see the team fighting for the ball in midfield

• Advertisement

Jaysus Welbeck will be on every week now :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Another Welbeck goal. What's that saying about a clocks time being right twice a day?

Our CB's beaten in the air again. Poor defenders.

Kos was still recovering from that double hit from King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Lovely finish from Welbz, that's 3 goals & 2 assists now for the season.

Bournemouth having a nightmare. This is the kind of result Wenger will be smug about no doubt. We got lucky today, lucky we're playing this lot and not Chelsea. Of course Chelsea will mail us next week anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Helping our goal difference after the Liverpool game. Should really score a couple more here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That chip would have been brilliant. Where's the real Welbeck gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Everyone was moaning about welbeck before kick off haha

That chip would have been brilliant. Where's the real Welbeck gone?
    He'll be back next week :D

:D

21432982_10154589878791256_5329920833478557183_n.jpg?oh=50b4be3e621f03d0a1aeb90215158778&oe=5A595196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Coq gone off shortly after coming on, looks like it could be a long termer. Injury in an area where we defo dont need it

Coq gone off shortly after coming on, looks like it could be a long termer. Injury in an area where we defo dont need it

He walked off the field without looking in discomfort though so it might not be as bad as feared.

Really interesting when Alexis came on. Cheers turned to boos.

I wonder what the attendance is like today. Empty spaces all over the stadium.
    They will probably give it as a full house though.

Bournemouth having a nightmare. This is the kind of result Wenger will be smug about no doubt. We got lucky today, lucky we're playing this lot and not Chelsea. Of course Chelsea will mail us next week anyway.

You can't enjoy that performance?

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Really interesting when Alexis came on. Cheers turned to boos.

Cannot understand the logic behind this whatsoever. Booing Eboue the time was embarrassing but booing a world class player who still plays for us is even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Coq will miss the next few games with a hamstring injury

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

emmetlego wrote: »
    Coq will miss the next few games with a hamstring injury

So we'll be able to check out his form next season so....

Cannot understand the logic behind this whatsoever. Booing Eboue the time was embarrassing but booing a world class player who still plays for us is even more so.

I'd boo him too, he wanted off to Man City. I've had enough of that sorta bollicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

2 goals for Welbeck which is nice but I still don't want bambi anywhere near the starting 11. Good option off the bench though.

I'd boo him too, he wanted off to Man City. I've had enough of that sorta bollicks.

But what's the point booing your own player in the stadium? It just seems so counter productive.

Wouldn't blame him for wanting gone from that mess too. A Player like him should be winning the big prizes.

If we had a manager that resembled the man he was in any way rather then the jokeshop he has become then Alexis would stay. He wants to win while the others want to take selfies tbh

If we had a manager that resembled the man he was in any way rather then the jokeshop he has become then Alexis would stay. He wants to win while the others want to take selfies tbh

I know what you're saying but I don't think this is gonna be a Suarez situation where his last season with Pool after wanting away he was magnificent...Alexis mentality is very very different...he's a sulker, he loves showing how bad everyone else is around him and when things are going to hell he downs tools.

Not sure of your age (I actually think you're relatively young) but whenever I see someone bring this up, I just think the person is really out of touch with young people today. All players at all clubs take selfies. Not just at Arsenal.

Follow them on SnapChat if you doubt me.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not sure of your age (I actually think you're relatively young) but whenever I see someone bring this up, I just think the person is really out of touch with young people today. All players at all clubs take selfies. Not just at Arsenal.

Follow them on SnapChat if you doubt me.

A young pup of 34 :)

Ah they do tbf but from an Arsenal point of view these guys need to win something before they start posing.

I can remember the only dressing room selfies Arsenal players would take in the past was when a league or double was won. Can guarantee though that the same shapers who downed tools against Liverpool will be all out posing on their Instagram tonight as if we had just won a European cup. The 'supporters' who fall for this shïte are either pathetic or too young to have sense.

A young pup of 34 :)

Ah they do tbf but from an Arsenal point of view these guys need to win something before they start posing.

I can remember the only dressing room selfies Arsenal players would take in the past was when a league or double was won. Can guarantee though that the same shapers who downed tools against Liverpool will be all out posing on their Instagram tonight as if we had just won a European cup. The 'supporters' who fall for this shïte are either pathetic or too young to have sense.

Not aware of any dressing room selfies after today, so you can sleep easy tonight.

The term selfie didn't exist last time we won the league :D

Not aware of any dressing room selfies after today, so you can sleep easy tonight.

The term selfie didn't exist last time we won the league :D

No in fairness it didn't. Hopefully the lads will start to knuckle down and keep their game face on for the next few weeks.

I know what you're saying but I don't think this is gonna be a Suarez situation where his last season with Pool after wanting away he was magnificent...Alexis mentality is very very different...he's a sulker, he loves showing how bad everyone else is around him and when things are going to hell he downs tools.

Easily done though because they are terrible and couldn't be bothered half the time. I agree that you win or lose as a team. For me Alexis is a winner. We have few enough truly top class players at the club

Where's Jack Wilshere at these days?

Easily done though because they are terrible and couldn't be bothered half the time. I agree that you win or lose as a team. For me Alexis is a winner. We have few enough truly top class players at the club

Where's Jack Wilshere at these days?

Close to a first team come back according to Arsene, wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench on Thursday night.

• Advertisement

Close to a first team come back according to Arsene, wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench on Thursday night.

The red card he got a few weeks ago must have had a bit of an effect on his fitness. He hasn't been able to play any football since then, AFAIK.

The red card he got a few weeks ago must have had a bit of an effect on his fitness. He hasn't been able to play any football since then, AFAIK.

Yeah probably not match sharpe yet, wouldn't be surprised to see him get some minutes on Thursday though.

Depending on what level of fitness he can get to he might not be a bad option next to Xhaka, not a lot of strength in midfield centrally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Yeah probably not match sharpe yet, wouldn't be surprised to see him get some minutes on Thursday though.

Depending on what level of fitness he can get to he might not be a bad option next to Xhaka, not a lot of strength in midfield centrally!

I'd have Jack back in a heartbeat. Not sure about Ramsey in central midfield at all. I do think Xhaka will come good, it's taking longer than I hoped though.

By the numbers is quite interesting

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/09/arsenal-4-0-bournemouth-by-the-numbers/

Watching live, I had no clue that Xhaka would have misplaced 20 passes. That said, it wasn't until right near the end when I even noticed we were playing with 10 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

good win and a good performance, but Bournemouth were poor and look like a team that will struggle this year. We're the best at putting these poor sides to the sword when we on our game, always have done. Everyone played well, no bad performances. Shame on those fans booing Alexis, tells you a lot about our fanbase which I think is as big a problem as the board and Wenger especially at home.

Next weekend will be a tougher test, I be more impressed then if we beat Chelsea away. It's when we come up against top teams and well drilled ones when I worry for us badly especially away from home. Over the next month or so, can see us picking up the full points at home to West Brom, Brighton, Swansea if we turn up, Watford away could be tricky but we have a good record there. Chelsea, Everton, Man City could see us easily losing. Massively important we win and not lose at either Chelsea, Everton or City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I do think Xhaka will come good, it's taking longer than I hoped though.

Brady said that too - seems to be a real feeling that he has the potential but lack of dressing room respect affecting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

TH14 wonders what the Ox is good at...he makes a fair point....in fairness!

http://arsenalist.com/f/2017-18/arsenal-vs-bournemouth/thierry-henry-on-oxlade-chamberlain-and-klopp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I do think Xhaka will come good, it's taking longer than I hoped though.

Brady said that too - seems to be a real feeling that he has the potential but lack of dressing room respect affecting him.

The optimist in me always thinks of the Pires situation as he took some time to hit form. I think Xhaka has potential and will judge him as the season progresses. He can be a bit hit and miss tbf, but he's growing in confidence.

The optimist in me always thinks of the Pires situation as he took some time to hit form. I think Xhaka has potential and will judge him as the season progresses. He can be a bit hit and miss tbf, but he's growing in confidence.

Exactly how I feel. His passing is at times exceptional and he pings the ball about like a golfer on the edge of the green. He is the closest I've seen to Santi with regard to deep lying long passes. Seems to have a concentration issue at times which makes him look awful when he's bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Exactly how I feel. His passing is at times exceptional and he pings the ball about like a golfer on the edge of the green. He is the closest I've seen to Santi with regard to deep lying long passes. Seems to have a concentration issue at times which makes him look awful when he's bad!

There is a huge difference between Xhaka and Santi.

Xhaka is one of those players who needs to have the game in front of him. That's why he looks reasonably good when we're in control of a game possession wise, but on the back foot he just always looks in the wrong place. He just doesn't seem able to maintain that awareness of where the others are around him. Watching him in person, he swivels his head around like an owl trying to keep track of things but as soon as the ball comes near he's just not able to keep up with what's going on.

Santi in contrast is unbelievable with his back to goal. His ability to shuttle the ball out of tight spaces, and turn the opposition to create space for himself is almost second to none among the current crop of professionals (Pjanic maybe for Juve being the only other who comes to mind). His uncanny ability to know where the space is means he unbelievably good when our midfield are under pressure. And his command of space lends itself to his off the ball work as well, he gets a surprising amount of interceptions when we're on the back foot.

I don't think Xhaka will ever be able to develop those abilities under pressure. In cotrast his turning circle is like that of an articulated lorry, and when we're under pressure the game just bypasses him, he's just not able to command the space needed. Maybe a more supportive partner than Ramsey will help him plug those gaps, but I worry he'll always be off he pace.

I think you missed the part where I said he was like Santi "with regard to deep lying passes"! I never once compared the rest of his game to Santi!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I think you missed the part where I said he was like Santi "with regard to deep lying passes"! I never once compared the rest of his game to Santi!!!

Your original comment suggested/reaffirmed Xhaka had "potential" and drew a thin comparison to Santi as to why that as the case. I was merely using an expanded comparison to show why I disagree with that assessment (hence my general concluding comment).

Apologies if it seemed like I was putting words in your mouth.

Xhaka will be gone by January 2019. And he won't be missed either.

Xhaka will be gone by January 2019. And he won't be missed either.

No offence, but how can you be so cock sure?

No offence, but how can you be so cock sure?

Look back to what I said about Gabriel a few years ago.

Xhaka was **** all when we signed him, did **** all last season and has started this the same. He has some nice passes in him but some awful **** ones too. All would be forgiveable if he played up the pitch and didn't get sent off all the time. But neither of those apply. He has no business at Arsenal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement