Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Look back to what I said about Gabriel a few years ago.

Xhaka was **** all when we signed him, did **** all last season and has started this the same. He has some nice passes in him but some awful **** ones too. All would be forgiveable if he played up the pitch and didn't get sent off all the time. But neither of those apply. He has no business at Arsenal.

I don't know. I think a better manager would have been able to get more out of Gabriel, and I think the same about Xhaka.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I don't know. I think a better manager would have been able to get more out of Gabriel, and I think the same about Xhaka.

When is Wenger's contract til? When did I say Xhaka would **** off? You've not disagreed with me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

When is Wenger's contract til? When did I say Xhaka would **** off? You've not disagreed with me.

No, but to be honest, I can't think beyond Wenger right now. All our problems stem from there, and I just respond with a knee jerk reaction. I honestly don't care much anymore, but just enough to respond in here.

CatInABox wrote: »
    No, but to be honest, I can't think beyond Wenger right now. All our problems stem from there, and I just respond with a knee jerk reaction. I honestly don't care much anymore, but just enough to respond in here.

Knee jerk? He's been here over a year and should be in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Look back to what I said about Gabriel a few years ago.

Xhaka was **** all when we signed him, did **** all last season and has started this the same. He has some nice passes in him but some awful **** ones too. All would be forgiveable if he played up the pitch and didn't get sent off all the time. But neither of those apply. He has no business at Arsenal.

Xhaka was captain of a team that qualified for the champions league when he was 23. Hardly **** all.

Not a lot of centre midfielders are in their prime at 24 either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Xhaka will be gone by January 2019. And he won't be missed either.

I suppose you would have gotten rid of Pires after 1 season aswell

wawaman wrote: »
    I suppose you would have gotten rid of Pires after 1 season aswell

Back when Wenger knew what he was doing? Nah. Nice try though.

Think past the obvious. We're all Arsenal fans so think about things in the context of Arsenal ffs. If anyone wants to dig it out we had similar discussions on Gabriel, as I recall the bit I was wrong about was that I thought he'd be thought less of when he left than he actually was. That's more a reflection of how far we've fallen in that time IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The jury is still out on Xhaka as far as i'm concerned. I'd give him another season to prove himself. He needs to start dominating games.

The player who annoys me most is Walcott. He's on very big money but prepared to sit on the bench and get an odd substitute appearance. At least the OX for all his frailties complained and sought better by going to Liverpool.
    Any decent player would be trying to prove himself and be battering Wenger's door for not being on the team sheeet, but not Walcott.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

The jury is still out on Xhaka as far as i'm concerned. I'd give him another season to prove himself. He needs to start dominating games.

The player who annoys me most is Walcott. He's on very big money but prepared to sit on the bench and get an odd substitute appearance. At least the OX for all his frailties complained and sought better by going to Liverpool.
    Any decent player would be trying to prove himself and be battering Wenger's door for not being on the team sheeet, but not Walcott.

Agree fully. I see enough in Xhaka to persevere with him in my opinion. It's a shame I don't have the power of foresight of ButtonFTW.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Agree fully. I see enough in Xhaka to persevere with him in my opinion. It's a shame I don't have the power of foresight of ButtonFTW.

Ah, thank you Fitz, I hope you never have that burden.

But on a serious note, notice how Juventus move across the pitch without the ball?

Fitz?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fitz?

I think it was a Robin Hobb reference, though I can't be sure.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it was a Robin Hobb reference, though I can't be sure.

Delighted someone got it and would know it wasn't an insult. :p
    I'm sure you'll agree that everyone should read those books. :p

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Button I have literally never agreed with you more :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

How serious do you reckon Wenger will take the Europa league? I do think it's our best chance of Champions League football if we win it (I think it's going to be tough to win), don't see us getting top 4 or even getting a sniff of the PL under him as long as he stays. I can see him playing a second string team in the group stages, unless it goes tits up in the Group or in the PL during that time. I be shocked to see most of our first team get a run out.

I'd like him to even take the League Cup a little more serious then usual, as I think Cup Competitions will be his best chance of success over the next two years. Be interesting over the next few weeks to see how he takes both Europa League and League cup this year.

• Advertisement

Looper007 wrote: »
    How serious do you reckon Wenger will take the Europa league? I do think it's our best chance of Champions League football if we win it (I think it's going to be tough to win), don't see us getting top 4 or even getting a sniff of the PL under him as long as he stays. I can see him playing a second string team in the group stages, unless it goes tits up in the Group or in the PL during that time. I be shocked to see most of our first team get a run out.

I'd like him to even take the League Cup a little more serious then usual, as I think Cup Competitions will be his best chance of success over the next two years. Be interesting over the next few weeks to see how he takes both Europa League and League cup this year.
    The first big problem Wenger has to overcome is his own huge ego.
    He thinks he's much better than he actually is. Delusion is a massive problem.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Button I have literally never agreed with you more :P
    And I couldn't be more lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Am currently watching the pool's defensive woes trying to decide which of us has the worse defence. Anyhow to get to the point it is so strange not watching our lot this week. Was looking to see if we're being televised tomorrow but can't see us anywhere! I know the powers that be at play in RTE seem to hate us but I thought we'd be on tv3/3e. Any idea if/where the match is being shown lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Am currently watching the pool's defensive woes trying to decide which of us has the worse defence. Anyhow to get to the point it is so strange not watching our lot this week. Was looking to see if we're being televised tomorrow but can't see us anywhere! I know the powers that be at play in RTE seem to hate us but I thought we'd be on tv3/3e. Any idea if/where the match is being shown lads?

Eir sports 2 , bt sports 2

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Eir sports 2 , bt sports 2

Cheers, was hoping it'd be on terrestrial. Ah well may give me the excuse to go out for a few jars. Be very interesting to see what kind of team Wenger puts out as everyone else has been saying. I'd like to see Jack get a shot in midfield if he's fit.

I'd Probably go something like this
    Ospina
    Chambers, Holding, Mert
    Maitland-Niles Wilshere Elneny Monreal
    Ramsey
    Walcott. Iwobi
    Welbeck

• Advertisement

Cheers, was hoping it'd be on terrestrial. Ah well may give me the excuse to go out for a few jars. Be very interesting to see what kind of team Wenger puts out as everyone else has been saying. I'd like to see Jack get a shot in midfield if he's fit.

I'd Probably go something like this
    Ospina
    Chambers, Holding, Mert
    Maitland-Niles Wilshere Elneny Monreal
    Ramsey
    Walcott. Iwobi
    Welbeck

I think we can only play 11 players. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Plus Welbeck is our main striker now so it is more likely to be Lacazette with Giroud on the bench...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

farna_boy wrote: »
    Plus Welbeck is our main striker now so it is more likely to be Lacazette with Giroud on the bench...

I doubt Lacazette will play. Sanchez is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

These are the players that didn't train yesterday:
    Petr Cech, Laurent Koscielny, Alexandre Lacazette, Danny Welbeck, Granit Xhaka, Mesut Ozil and Aaron Ramsey so from the looks of it they are all rested for Chelsea. We should have enough depth to beat Cologne.

Giroud, Walcott, Sanchez, Iwobi, El Neny, Wilshere, Mustafi, Ospina and some young ones should be available tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

10-0. Reiss Nelson scoring them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

5star02707 wrote: »
    We should have enough depth to beat Cologne.
    I love how lads on here always state this before we get humbled by a minnow in Europe. The cockiness and arrogance is astounding. Some people never learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Quazzie wrote: »
    I love how lads on here always state this before we get humbled by a minnow in Europe. The cockiness and arrogance is astounding. Some people never learn.

Emphasis on should Quazzie. We should beat them regardless of the rested players comparing the quality, but of course its Arsenal so who the hell knows what will turn up.

Quazzie wrote: »

Hope springs eternal! Looking forward to the game (and the win!)

Lol playing with 12 might give us a bit of an unfair advantage alright! I'll blame a long day in work on my lack of counting abilities. I'd drop Ramsey from my 12 man squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I hope Wenger plays Sanchez, Ozil and anyone else not agreeing to a contract extension in every game. Europa, league the lot. Get them exhausted for the World Cup and their next employers.

• Advertisement

He should throw on that young Nelson lad.
    At Arsenal we seem far too reluctant to blood young lads.
    United were never afraid to play young players.
    If you're good enough you're old enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I really don't think Wenger can afford to mess around in this competition. After the debacle that was Anfield any possible avenue back into the CL needs full application.

I really don't think Wenger can afford to mess around in this competition. After the debacle that was Anfield any possible avenue back into the CL needs full application.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41227374

I think the league is the more important competition and its vital that players are fresh, especially faced with a trip to Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

The team will suffer if he puts the same 11 out every week with the Thursday - Sunday cycle in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's going to be strange seeing Arsenal play on a Thursday night again. It's mad that it was over 17 years ago since the last appearance in this competition, the final loss to Galatasaray.

I'm expecting us to walk the group, champions league groups have been generally straight forward for Arsenal, so this should be more of the same even with a second string side.

https://twitter.com/arsenal/status/908391238210129920

Maitland-Niles playing left wing back. Feel sorry for the lad, is asked to play out of position nearly every game. Surprised Bellerin is playing, he will be needed Sunday as well as Monreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Iwobi in the middle aswell is a strange one , Still looking forward to the game , Koln will be fired up for it , Can't afford to be messing around tonight professional job and get 3 points

Kick off delayed by an hour. To do with crowd congestion outside!

Edit. Rumour is that there is trouble outside with the Koln fans, even heard rumours the match may be postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Enraged at Wenger's treatment of Poldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Kick off delayed by an hour. To do with crowd congestion outside!

Edit. Rumour is that there is trouble outside with the Koln fans, even heard rumours the match may be postponed.

https://twitter.com/ArsenalFanTV/status/908401040692793344

Not looking good at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Gringo180 wrote: »

Fans supposedly being allowed in now

Some Cologne fans in the Arsenal sections. Apparently 20k of them travelled to London and there's only 3k allocated to the away team. Segregation could fail miserably and it could get nasty inside the Emirates. No reports of serious violence only a few small scuffles so far.

Some Cologne fans in the Arsenal sections. Apparently 20k of them travelled to London and there's only 3k allocated to the away team. Segregation could fail miserably and it could get nasty inside the Emirates. No reports of serious violence only a few small scuffles so far.

They will have to sort that situation out for the other two home games, especially the Red Star Belgrade fans. They are supposed to be crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

supposed KO at 9.15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The Cologne fans look like a right bunch of thugs. Id say its very intimidating at and around the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Lots of police now too... it's packed enough with the Cologne fans trying to get in!! Time to bring out the cannons.

Koln fans everywhere in the stadium. First non segregated match at the Emirates by the look of things. Potential for it kicking off in the stands though during the game.

#Shaambles

When I went to the Leicester game at the start of the season, the new security measures had created a huge queue/crowd outside the ground even at kick-off. It was five to ten minutes or so before we got in. 60,000 fans with tickets, plus another 20,000? It would be chaos there, glad I'm not out. As it is, the helicopters and police sirens are going non-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Surely a lot of Arsenal fans have sold their tickets on......??

Club is a mess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement