Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Soups123 wrote: »
    We could as could any of the other big clubs, spend on managers is just like players these days all accounted and planned for. Its pittance compared to some of the player spend wastage

I think you are with overestimating Arsenal's spending power or underestimating the oil men's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

mansize wrote: »
    Both of which cost money. Most clubs couldn't afford to dispose of managers in the manner Chelsea or City have- a very costly business

Costly as in... Success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Be interesting to see how us Gooners would react to Usmanov gaining control & pumping in the obscene amounts of cash he has promised to invest if that ever happened.. if we won the PL & UCL at that stage how would the fans feel? Would we have 'bought' the trophies?

I agree with the relative opinions above that you can no longer 'buy' titles, not in the EPL anyway as there are 4 or 5 clubs willing to spend whatever it takes to maintain a challenge & actually win silverware, the anomoly being Arsenal who spend as little as possible to remain in the top 4...

At this stage I freely admit that I'd love to see what an ogliarch's money would do to the club in terms of personnel changes. If nothing else it would be different & at this stage a change is needed, even if it involves a step back in order to move forward again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A very large cash injection into a mid table club winning them trophies they haven't seen (in years) is buying it to me.

A Roman holiday of sorts

Arsene has never had the money Roman or the sheikh pumped into their playthings

But I can see why their supporters would chose not to see it like that, makes their victories seem hollow

Ha, mid table :pac: next you'll tell me Chelsea didnt exist before Roman, ignoring that for years before Roman came Chelsea were knocking in and around the top 6 but ya, thats mid table if you want it to be.

I suppose Usmanov whos richer than Roman must be a tight arse so or is it Kroenke whos not short of cash and nearly as rich as Roman.

Fact is, Arsenal have some of the richest backers in the game but cant "buy the league", whos fault is that?
    Soups123 wrote: »
    When Chelsea started out 10 years back they bought the league, they were the first PL club to bring that amount of spend to the table and trophies followed.

That's said you no longer can by the league, you can spend money to get you up to the capable of challenging bracket but after that it comes down to management and signing the right players

This guy gets it, what started out as an investment is now a sustainable club thats still winning and spending big money on players and coaches because thats what football is about.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ha, mid table :pac: next you'll tell me Chelsea didnt exist before Roman, ignoring that for years before Roman came Chelsea were knocking in and around the top 6 but ya, thats mid table if you want it to be.

I suppose Usmanov whos richer than Roman must be a tight arse so or is it Kroenke whos not short of cash and nearly as rich as Roman.

Fact is, Arsenal have some of the richest backers in the game but cant "buy the league", whos fault is that?

This guy gets it, what started out as an investment is now a sustainable club thats still winning and spending big money on players and coaches because thats what football is about.

So you acknowledge you did buy it initially? Fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A very large cash injection into a mid table club winning them trophies they haven't seen (in years) is buying it to me.

A Roman holiday of sorts

But I can see why their supporters would chose not to see it like that, makes their victories seem hollow

Idealistic nonsense.

Arsene and the board HAVE money. They're just choosing not to spend it. Chelsea have a structure in place now that is self sustaining. Its nit a plaything. Roman has proved that he was in it for the long haul. Wenger could go out tomorrow and buy who he wants, but he and the board would prefer to run the club like a bank.

Chelsea are ruthless.
    City are ruthless.
    Madrid are ruthless.
    Utd have tried to be ruthless as of this season.
    Bayern are ruthless.

These are the clubs that just go out and get it done. I wish Liverpool's board would do similar (even though I understand we do the have the financial muscle if those). Arsenal do. The board are feeding supporters a lie by telling them that they don't have the wherewithal to compete.

You could've had Suarez, but lowballed Liverpool.

If reports are to be believed, you could've had Kanté but weren't ruthless enough. Chelsea were, even without Champions League.

Wenger and the board are playing the fans for fools.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

A Roman holiday of sorts

You're aware of Arsenal's ownership, right?

Stan Kroenke - property developer and sports "magnate" - net worth $7.4bn.
    Alisher Usmanov - metal miner and communications "mogul" - net worth $15.3bn.

Chelsea: Roman Abramovic - metal miner/works - net worth $9.2bn

The problem here isn't Arsenal's finances, whatever you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Both of which cost money. Most clubs couldn't afford to dispose of managers in the manner Chelsea or City have- a very costly business
    A good manager last year, wins us the league. Simple as that. That has nothing to do with the money being spent or anyone buying the league. Buying the league explains us not dominating, but it doesn't explain why we never won the league last year.

SlickRic wrote: »

A Roman holiday of sorts

Idealistic nonsense.

Arsene and the board HAVE money. They're just choosing not to spend it. Chelsea have a structure in place now that is self sustaining. Its nit a plaything. Roman has proved that he was in it for the long haul. Wenger could go out tomorrow and buy who he wants, but he and the board would prefer to run the club like a bank.

Chelsea are ruthless.
    City are ruthless.
    Madrid are ruthless.
    Bayern are ruthless.

These are the clubs that just go out and get it done. I wish Liverpool's board would do similar (even though I understand we do the have the financial muscle if those). Arsenal do. The board are feeding supporters a lie by telling them that they don't have the wherewithal to compete.

If reports are to be believed, you could've had Kanté but weren't ruthless enough. Chelsea were, even without Champions League.

Ruthless just means throwing money at a problem to solve it?

Surely that proves my point???

A Roman holiday of sorts

Idealistic nonsense.

Chelsea are ruthless.
    City are ruthless.
    Madrid are ruthless.
    Bayern are ruthless.

• Advertisement

Classic ignoring of the other points because you cant back them up.

Fact is Arsenal are a seriously cash rich club and they cant buy the league, whos fault is that? Board level or Wenger?

It's not. It's all relative. He's meeting his targets tbf

He is.

My issue would be that his targets are minimal for the club's standing, and he's probably setting the targets in the first place.

A Roman holiday of sorts

I'm aware what they are worth, and also their investment vs Roman and the sheik

It's not. It's all relative. He's meeting his targets tbf

He is.

My issue would be that his targets are minimal for the club's standing, and he's probably setting the targets in the first place.

On what basis or evidence would you say that?

So what youre saying is Arsenal are funded by Usmanovs "oil" money too?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The problem isn't the finances? Nothing to say?

Btw, apart from last season, Chelsea haven't finished below 6th since 1996.

Classic ignoring of the other points because you cant back them up.

Fact is Arsenal are a seriously cash rich club and they cant buy the league, whos fault is that? Board level or Wenger?

There the board for not allowing us to be a cash outflow club like Chelsea and city I suppose. But they run it like a business not a novelty play thing.

Getting all your money from the USSR's publicly owned oil handed to you by putin's party probably makes the spending seen less meaningful I suppose

You can continue the poor mouth speil but Arsenal are far from it, they've tried to buy the league with Ozil and Sanchez but failed. Thats on Wenger.

You say 'throw money' like it's a bad thing. I'm not telling you to bankrupt yourselves. I'm recommending you flex the financial muscle you have.

Stop taking one tiny part of what I said, taking it out of context, and running with it.

The problem isn't the finances? Nothing to say?

Btw, apart from last season, Chelsea haven't finished below 6th since 1996.

And prior to Abramovich's money, when did they last win the league???

• Advertisement

There the board for not allowing us to be a cash outflow club like Chelsea and city I suppose. But they run it like a business not a novelty play thing.

Getting all your money from the USSR's publicly owned oil handed to you by putin's party probably makes the spending seen less meaningful I suppose

Would that be the play thing that fans assumed Roman would get sick of and leave after a few years?

Ya still hoping for that day?

You say 'throw money' like it's a bad thing. I'm not telling you to bankrupt yourselves. I'm recommending you flex the financial muscle you have.

Stop taking one tiny part of what I said, taking it out of context, and running with it.

What context should it be in? What do you mean by being ruthless???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I don't dig or read up the monies piece at all I'm not that dedicated! If the above is accurate then your 100% right.

One owner has it and will back it up

The other has it but won't spend it

The difference being one is in it for money the other is in it for success

He decides when he leaves. That's widely known, and confirmed by people in the know at the club like Martin Keown.

If he decides when he leaves, it's not a stretch to believe there's a chance he sets his own targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

before roman took over chelsea finished in the arsenal position of 4th so we qualified for the champions league

As a business Arsenal are brilliant, as a football club theyre underachieving and iof they done this theyed be a serious player every year.

They have money, the location, the squad and the stadium, only thing missing is the manager and soending in the right areas.

Would that be the play thing that fans assumed Roman would get sick of and leave after a few years?

Ya still hoping for that day?

I'd rather his mate got toppled in Russia.

As you have said the Roman factor has been tempered somewhat by others entering with $$$$

Still find it amusing Chelsea don't acknowledge that Abromovich is the main reason they won the League.

As a business Arsenal are brilliant, as a football club theyre underachieving and iof they done this theyed be a serious player every year.

They have money, the location, the squad and the stadium, only thing missing is the manager and soending in the right areas.

How do you solve that problem? Spend a lot of money???

How do you solve that problem? Spend a lot of money???

• Advertisement

Abramovic got his money the same way Usmanov did? It wasn't oil. They both played the same game and gained an advantage under the mess that was cold war Russia. They all did some messed up siht in the process but that Russia for you. A bit OT, but happy to expand with you in the History forum if you like.

He decides when he leaves. That's widely known, and confirmed by people in the know at the club like Martin Keown.

If he decides when he leaves, it's not a stretch to believe there's a chance he sets his own targets.

No. The board set the targets. That's widely known and accepted even disliked on
    Here

As you have said the Roman factor has been tempered somewhat by others entering with $$$$

Still find it amusing Chelsea don't acknowledge that Abromovich is the main reason they won the League.

Whats the main reason now? or the main reason Leicester won the league?

You have to ask yourself seriously why Arsenal ahvent won the league with the money available to them if buying the league is as easy as you said. Even though Utd and City have spent obscene money in recent times and failed to win the league. Even Liverpool spent about 200m under rodgers and didnt win the league but came closer than Arsenal have in the last 12 years.

Abramovic got his money the same way Usmanov did? It wasn't oil. They both played the same game and gained an advantage under the mess that was cold war Russia. They all did some messed up siht in the process but that Russia for you. A bit OT, but happy to expand with you in the History forum if you like.

I don't want Arsenal ever to be owned by Usmanov tbf. He's no angel of that I'm aware.

As you have said the Roman factor has been tempered somewhat by others entering with $$

Whats the main reason now? or the main reason Leicester won the league?

You have to ask yourself seriously why Arsenal ahvent won the league with the money available to them if buying the league is as easy as you said. Even though Utd and City have spent obscene money in recent times and failed to win the league. Even Liverpool spent about 200m under rodgers and didnt win the league but came closer than Arsenal have in the last 12 years.

Both finished 2nd. Granted they slipped up later. At Chelsea I do believe

They don't have the money now required just to buy it. You have to outspend City and Chelsea buy a good bit now. As you said, Liverpool tried that, and failed.

I don't want Arsenal ever to be owned by Usmanov tbf. He's no angel of that I'm aware.
    No one who's worth billions is an angel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ye won't have to go reinventing the wheel lads. Just change up who's at the helm, shed a few passengers, and add a few quality signings to the bones of already good squad.
    Be grand

So what youre saying is Arsenal are funded by Usmanovs "oil" money too?

Part funded yes, but by not to the same extent by any means, but you already know that

the thing i don't get about wenger is his best team had petit and viera in it, the most streetwise midefield partnership who would kick lumps out of the opposition when that was what was needed but now all he does is picks and buys players who can play ball but don't work or tackle

No one who's worth billions is an angel.

Certainly not. But some are less angelic that others.

peteeeed wrote: »
    the thing i don't get about wenger is he's best team had petit and viera in it, the most streetwise midefield partnership who would kick lumps out of the opposition when that was what was needed but now all he does is picks and buys players who can play ball but don't work or tackle

That team wouldn't win the league now imho

• Advertisement

They don't have the money now required just to buy it. You have to outspend City and Chelsea buy a good bit now. As you said, Liverpool tried that, and failed.

Theres serious scope for Arsenal to dominate giving their circumstances but they have to change Wenger, IMO. The squad, if they can keep the elite players is very good and one of the best in England.

Wenger was once the best coach in England but the longer Arsenal continue the way they have that legacy will be tarnished and no more so by the majority of his own fans who want success at any cost, like most fans.

You can continue the poor mouth speil but Arsenal are far from it, they've tried to buy the league with Ozil and Sanchez but failed. Thats on Wenger.

In different seasons, adding a high value player is winning the league??? But adding numerous isn't? Do me a favour

Arsenal aren't poor, but they haven't the cash cows City and Chelsea have

Theres serious scope for Arsenal to dominate giving their circumstances but they have to change Wenger, IMO. The squad, if they can keep the elite players is very good and one of the best in England.

Wenger was once the best coach in England but the longer Arsenal continue the way they have that legacy will be tarnished and no more so by the majority of his own fans who want success at any cost, like most fans.

There is a higher Calibre of coach now, Conte being #1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I am not sure that its that Gav.
    As I have said a few times up above its the boring predictability of season after season after season.

In general for me we have been pretty rubbish this season.
    Got jammy undeserved late winners versus Burnley twice and Southampton at home. We probably should be down battling with Everton for 6th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What was it, 40m each for Ozil and Sanchez. 30m+ from Granit. Mustafi 30m+. Wasn't Walcott the highest priced teenager at the time he was bought?

The problem with last night, and indeed some others games this season has nothing to do with money. If money was the cause the Utd would simply walk the league after splurging so much millions over the last few years but are currently 6th and in the EL!

A 2-1 or 3-1 loss last night would have been acceptable. Arsenal were outplayed for 30 minutes and got a lucky (IMO) penalty and then got lucky again with the rebound. So 1-1 and after that Arsenal grew into the game. Even after the break Arsenal were doing alright, Neuer had pulled off some good saves. But then Kos went off and everything went to sh1t.

That has nothing to do with money. That is heart, desire, professional standards. And its not the first time its happened so too easy to simply blame Kos going off.

As another poster alluded to, Dundalk put up a consistent fight when in the EL. They were outclassed (some of the time) but never gave up. Arsenal simply folded last night. Look at Robben, what is he 24, and when he lost the ball he ran back into position, at least showed some fight. Ozil, Sanchez were busy throwing their arms in the air to complain. Coq had a good 1/2 season, played above himself but has reverted to norm this year. Granit looks lost. No idea how a tenacious midfielder can so get hopelessly sidelined.

Given the difficulties Man Utd have had the last couple of years I can see that Arsenal are in the same boat. Losing such an influencial manager as Wenger (or SAF) will always be tough, but I simply can't see how more than 1 or 2 or the current squad is good enough to bring Arsenal up to the level that is required for EPL or UCL success. Almost an entire new squad is required at this point.

That team wouldn't win the league now imho

they would get a lot closer then the team of today

peteeeed wrote: »
    they would get a lot closer then the team of today

How do you finish closer than 2nd and not win??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Wow this thread is as big a sh*t show as last nights game.

I'm a big Wenger fan but it is now impossible to back him to stay on past the summer. If he decides to stay on, no matter what the plan is, things will only get worse.

The board, the manager and the players are all responsible for how things are going, I don't know how things are run between the board and Wenger or between Wenger and the players so I can't say who is responsible the most for the way things are going.

Couldn't care less how the season ends now, just want it to end and for Wenger to leave. If he does leave, at lease he will leave the club with a decent squad of players and in a very healthy financial position.

Wow this thread is as big a sh*t show as last nights game.

I'm a big Wenger fan but it is now impossible to back him to stay on past the summer. If he decides to stay on, no matter what the plan is, things will only get worse.

The board, the manager and the players are all responsible for how things are going, I don't know how things are run between the board and Wenger or between Wenger and the players so I can't say who is responsible the most for the way things are going.

Couldn't care less how the season ends now, just want it to end and for Wenger to leave. If he does leave, at lease he will leave the club with a decent squad of players and in a very healthy financial position.

I thought there was a healthy discussion and no petty squabbling myself

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How do you finish closer than 2nd and not win??

Finish 2nd and nearly win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement