Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Ffs being offside there is ridiculous

Brutal, lovely finish though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

so it looked to me like marcos alonso pushed mustafi into an offside position from the free kick. i've never seen that before - i hope they talk about it after the match

LOL. Chelsea continue their trend of getting reds against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Luiz ya dirty knacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Kola had had his leg planted to the ground that would have been career ending

• Advertisement

Poor challenge

Well even though I think we should have won, I guess it can be viewed as a good point, based on how our season has started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'll take it. A draw at Chelsea is no bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

7 points after 5 games.

12th in the table.

Big fat meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Souness will be gutted having to give Arsenal some credit

• Advertisement

Solid performance. Good to see that Xhaka and Ramsey can work as a midfield. Can it work with Ozil though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

7 points after 5 games.

12th in the table.

Big fat meh.

Come on today was a good point and a good sign save the meh for another day

7 points after 5 games.

12th in the table.

Big fat meh.

Chelsea. Away.

7 points after 5 games.

12th in the table.

Big fat meh.

You have to give credit to the team after a performance like that. 12th at the moment is an irrelevance at the moment especially when you consider we've had 3 tough away matches.

Hopefully that gives the team a platform to work from.

7 points after 5 games.

12th in the table.

Big fat meh.

We've had 2 tough away games (3 if you include going to Stoke). The main thing is that the team is starting to play well. Have to try to be a bit positive about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What an utterly boring game.

Really? Watched it as a neutral and thought it was a really entertaining tactical battle and that Arsenal probably deserved the win. Really impressed by Bellerin who looked excellent, always where he needed to be, never caught out of position and really helped going forward on the break.

Wellbeck was awful though, he looks absolutely shot for confidence and like he was afraid to get the ball. He looked to pass when he should have shot and shot when the chance wasn’t on.

Really? Watched it as a neutral and thought it was a really entertaining tactical battle and that Arsenal probably deserved the win. Really impressed by Bellerin who looked excellent, always where he needed to be, never caught out of position and really helped going forward on the break.

Wellbeck was awful though, he looks absolutely shot for confidence and like he was afraid to get the ball. He looked to pass when he should have shot and shot when the chance wasn’t on.

Yeah I liked that game. Not a huge amount of chances, but the middle of the park was great fun. Welbeck wasn't very productive, but he was energetic and offered more than Iwobi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm still looking at the overall picture. 0-0 away to Chelsea, grand, I find it hard to get excited about. If this squad had any kind of ambition they should be going there with a mentality of turning them over but how can you do that when your previous away game you got absolutely destroyed. We were 12th before kick off today, we're 12th now. I don't see it as as a major positive thing at all.

Big picture, no doubt smug Wenger will con some people into thinking we're going somewhere now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Good result today, better than expected away to Chelsea anyway. Lost that game last season

Stat|2017/18|2016/17|Diff
    Corresponding points|7|9|-2
    Projected points|73|75|-2
    Scored 3 or more|2|14*|-12
    Won by 3 or more|1|7*|-6
    Clean sheets|2|13*|-11

*over full season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I thought Welbeck did better than Lacazette. Sanchez did nothing when he came on either.

• Advertisement

I'm still looking at the overall picture. 0-0 away to Chelsea, grand, I find it hard to get excited about. If this squad had any kind of ambition they should be going there with a mentality of turning them over but how can you do that when your previous away game you got absolutely destroyed. We were 12th before kick off today, we're 12th now. I don't see it as as a major positive thing at all.

Big picture, no doubt smug Wenger will con some people into thinking we're going somewhere now.

I dunno if that's the big picture, unless the big picture is write the season off, Wenger out, Kroenke out.

I thought the team went there trying for a win, not hoping to not lose. I'm sure that's how most neutrals would view it, but maybe I'm too biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Thought Arsenal deserved to win it today. Chelsea were there for the taking.

Not impressed by Chelsea thus far this season. Can see Conte leaving the Bridge at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭allinthehead

We're going to lose this. I can feel it. Can't see Chelsea being that laid back at the start of the second half, they'll surely squeeze us for the first 10 mins of the 2nd half now.
    What an utterly boring game.

Are you always this negative? I thought it was a fascinating game. Could've gone either way. Arsenal got it spot on and nearly nicked it. I certainly would've taken this result before kick off.

☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was extremely pessimistic prior to the game, based on past visits to Stamford Bridge.

While it would have been great to knick the victory, I have to say I'm pleased with the draw.

The team played with commitment and were solid throughout. I would regard that as basic stuff for a team of Arsenal's aspirations, but the bare facts are it's been a long time since they've delivered even as much as that in a big away game, so when they do you have to say well done. Even if they had lost today I'd still be largely okay with it - if the team tries it's best then it's hard to really complain.

But it has to be a template to follow, not just another once off. If Arsenal go into big games with the same level of willingness to compete that they displayed today then they'll win the fans over, but, if not, it'll be back to the same level of vitriol again.

Wenger has the ability to get performances out of the team in one off situations. Despite today and despite how pleasing it was to see effort and organisation out there, I'd still be highly sceptical of the managers ability to motivate the squad over a consistent run of big games.

I'm a big fan of Mesut Ozil, but you wonder if his absence made a difference in terms of sheer workrate. He's a fantastic footballer, but he's never going to get stuck in and grind out a result - and that's what is required sometimes: you have to fight for the right to play; it's not going to be handed to you on the plate.

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Mesut Ozil, but you wonder if his absence made a difference in terms of sheer workrate. He's a fantastic footballer, but he's never going to get stuck in and grind out a result - and that's what is required sometimes: you have to fight for the right to play; it's not going to be handed to you on the plate.

The thought did enter my mind, but consider his replacement - did Iwobi offer that much more, tracking back? I don't think he did, and with the obvious drop in talent as well, I'd still rather have Ozil there.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

Yeah I liked that game. Not a huge amount of chances, but the middle of the park was great fun.

I missed the first half hour but thought this one was a shocker. Standard of passing was atrocious for large portions and I thought Chelsea lacked any real initiative. Numerous occasions where Luiz was pointing to his other defenders to pass the ball back to Courtois even though Kante and Bakayoko were in a good position to receive it. Not that they would have done a whole lot with it. Game was summed up for me by that moment when Moses tried to do some basic step over and just fell on his arse.

looie wrote: »
    I missed the first half hour but thought this one was a shocker. Standard of passing was atrocious for large portions and I thought Chelsea lacked any real initiative. Numerous occasions where Luiz was pointing to his other defenders to pass the ball back to Courtois even though Kante and Bakayoko were in a good position to receive it. Not that they would have done a whole lot with it. Game was summed up for me by that moment when Moses tried to do some basic step over and just fell on his arse.

We were probably too busy watching the Arsenal players to focus on the individual play from different Chelsea players.....or maybe that's just me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought the game was quite absorbing really. Fair enough wasn't too much quality on display at times, but everyone on the field seemed to be really competing for everything and I thought that made it feel very tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

• Advertisement

A very solid all round performance today to be fair to Wenger and co. We should have won it.

Unfortunately, we cant sustain these performances and sooner or later will fall back into bad habits.

A very solid all round performance today to be fair to Wenger and co. We should have won it.

Unfortunately, we cant sustain these performances and sooner or later will fall back into bad habits.

I'd say even Wenger would be better at motivating the lads than you :pac:

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'd say even Wenger would be better at motivating the lads than you :pac:

He'd want to be for 10m a year :pac:

ive seen this movie before though. This performance is quite good in isolation but sooner or later it will all unravel. It always does. I wish i could be more optimistic but history screams otherwise

Interesting stat that Cech is the first keeper to keep a clean sheet at Chelsea since Conte arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Interesting stat that Cech is the first keeper to keep a clean sheet at Chelsea since Conte arrived.
    Cechs well used to clean sheets at Stamford bridge!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Never really understand comments like this. It's as if the team can't do anything without criticism. I suspect your comments would be similar even if we had won the game.

I understand everyone has an opinion but I can't understand the negativity on days were we actually played well - it might even go towards providing some much needed confidence etc.

But to actually take good performances and dismiss them as random events doesn't sit well with me

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Never really understand comments like this. It's as if the team can't do anything without criticism. I suspect your comments would be similar even if we had won the game.

I understand everyone has an opinion but I can't understand the negativity on days were we actually played well - it might even go towards providing some much needed confidence etc.

But to actually take good performances and dismiss them as random events doesn't sit well with me

Well on a more positive note i think Kolasinac has been a revelation. This guy has such a huge heart, he is so driven and is a winner, and I think Bellerin has lifted his game in his presence. He seems to have learned loads from this fella. I was heartened by their bombardment down the wing and although we criticise Welbeck and Iwobi they were fantastic in their workrate.
    Iwobi was quite disciplined in his performance today i felt and put in a trojan shift for such a young player and ive noticed also he looks absolutely huge this year. He has been hitting the gym big time.

I have said we did play well today in fairness but im very sceptical as to whether we can maintain a consistent challenge as recent history has proved time and again that we fall asunder. I dont mean to be negative obviously, i hope i will be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was very close to having a nice little killing with the two draws yesterday.
    The width of a post in Croke Park separated me from a nice little earner. Would have been a lovely double but nearly never bulled the cow as they say.

Well done to Arsenal yesterday. I didn't see the game but from the commentary we put up a good show and were unlucky not to win.

I was very close to having a nice little killing with the two draws yesterday.
    The width of a post in Croke Park separated me from a nice little earner. Would have been a lovely double but nearly never bulled the cow as they say.

Well done to Arsenal yesterday. I didn't see the game but from the commentary we put up a good show and were unlucky not to win.

What was the odds on the double?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Well on a more positive note i think Kolasinac has been a revelation. This guy has such a huge heart, he is so driven and is a winner, and I think Bellerin has lifted his game in his presence. He seems to have learned loads from this fella. I was heartened by their bombardment down the wing and although we criticise Welbeck and Iwobi they were fantastic in their workrate.
    Iwobi was quite disciplined in his performance today i felt and put in a trojan shift for such a young player and ive noticed also he looks absolutely huge this year. He has been hitting the gym big time.

I have said we did play well today in fairness but im very sceptical as to whether we can maintain a consistent challenge as recent history has proved time and again that we fall asunder. I dont mean to be negative obviously, i hope i will be wrong.

Agree with kolasinac and bellerin, but for me iwobi was no existent, didn't get into the game at all, should have been whipped off before laca, even though laca didn't have his best game should have been left up front to try nick a goal. But overall happy with the performance and great defensive showing, Ramsey and xhaka look top notch when Ramsey is more disciplined defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

The thought did enter my mind, but consider his replacement - did Iwobi offer that much more, tracking back? I don't think he did, and with the obvious drop in talent as well, I'd still rather have Ozil there.

Iwobi had one of the most disciplined games he's played in an Arsenal shirt. In the first half he was fantastic. What really struck me is that he would watch for the forward runs of Ramsey and drop back into midfield to help out Xhaka, which is perhaps why some people may feel he was anonymous, but was key to releasing Ramsey and the full backs in those early attacks.

He always came short too for the simple pass, and on the ball he suppressed his usual tendency to dribble, instead passing with pace and moving the ball forward efficiently to Wellbeck, Ramsey and the wing backs. He was great!

• Advertisement

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Agree with kolasinac and bellerin, but for me iwobi was no existent, didn't get into the game at all, should have been whipped off before laca, even though laca didn't have his best game should have been left up front to try nick a goal. But overall happy with the performance and great defensive showing, Ramsey and xhaka look top notch when Ramsey is more disciplined defensively.
    Iwobi had one of the most disciplined games he's played in an Arsenal shirt. In the first half he was fantastic. What really struck me is that he would watch for the forward runs of Ramsey and drop back into midfield to help out Xhaka, which is perhaps why some people may feel he was anonymous, but was key to releasing Ramsey and the full backs in those early attacks.

He always came short too for the simple pass, and on the ball he suppressed his usual tendency to dribble, instead passing with pace and moving the ball forward efficiently to Wellbeck, Ramsey and the wing backs. He was great!

By the numbers was quite interesting once again. He specifically talked about Iwobi:

"91 – Percent of passes completed by Iwobi

I couldn’t figure out why Wenger subbed off Lacazette and left Iwobi on until I had a crack at the stats. Turns out that Iwobi led Arsenal with 91% pass completion and created 3 chances for his teammates, leading Arsenal in that category as well."

Between this post, and the stats showing Iwobi's pass success and stat creation, I think I might need to rewatch the game properly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

marvin80 wrote: »
    What was the odds on the double?

15/8 and 9/1.
    575 euro for a 20 euro double. I had 20 on each as well so I got my money back more or less.

15/8 and 9/1.
    575 euro for a 20 euro double. I had 20 on each as well so I got my money back more or less.

Great prices and great bet. Pity it didn't come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Between this post, and the stats showing Iwobi's pass success and stat creation, I think I might need to rewatch the game properly :D

Here's my secret: watch the games without commentary. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Can't understand the misery of some after that result. We played well too. Probably deserved to win. That's as good as you can expect given where we were approaching this game from. I would have taken a draw before the game, and Chelsea will be disappointed with the result, that says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

By the numbers was quite interesting once again. He specifically talked about Iwobi:

"91 – Percent of passes completed by Iwobi

I couldn’t figure out why Wenger subbed off Lacazette and left Iwobi on until I had a crack at the stats. Turns out that Iwobi led Arsenal with 91% pass completion and created 3 chances for his teammates, leading Arsenal in that category as well."

I don't really pay much heed to pass completion % as you could have 100% completion only going back to you goalkeeper, but as for chances created is a different story didn't realise he created 3, will have to watch match again.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Can't understand the misery of some after that result. We played well too. Probably deserved to win. That's as good as you can expect given where we were approaching this game from. I would have taken a draw before the game, and Chelsea will be disappointed with the result, that says it all.

Wouldnt say misery per se but id be hesitant to get carried away given past experience. It was a very good performance yesterday but then Manchester United in October 2015 was an outstanding performance, Chelsea in the FA cup final last season was an outstanding performance. These performances tend to be in relative isolation. Ive seen nothing to suggest that this season will be any different but obviously i hope im wrong on this.

As long as Wenger is in charge of this team the tendency to fall apart and fail spectacularly will always be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

When we beat City at the the Etihad a few seasons ago it was supposed to be a new dawn. Sadly performances like yesterday have a tendency to be the exception rather than the rule. I'll enjoy it as a result, but certainly wont be celebrating it as a corner turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Happy enough with the draw as I did say to myself before kick off that I'd take the draw, based on our horrific record there lately.
    However I'm slightly disappointed that we didn't get the three points as there was a few good chances that weren't taken. But can't complain really.

A very mixed bag of results at the start of the season. Interesting though that Arsenal have failed to score in 3 out of the 5 premier league games so far this season. So there is a lot more to come from this squad hopefully.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement