Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

To be fair, 3 of our 5 games have been away fixtures to Chelsea &Liverpool who are widely expected to finish in the top 4 & Stoke, who always give us a hard physical game.
    Look back over any of the last 5 seasons & you'll not see many goals or points from that trinity of fixtures & now they're out of the way & have three of our harder fixtures done & dusted, not a great return to be fair but at least we're done with them now & hopefully can settle down with some wins against teams les likely to pose problems before facing the other 'big' clubs away from home.

I'm not optimistic about the season but I'm not ready to give up on it after 5 games either.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I thought Mustafi looked improved at the weekend. Some of his passing left a but to be desired but he made some really tide challenges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hearing reports that some of the players were happy that Ozil and Sanchez were not starting on Sunday. Wonder what truth, if any, there is in that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05ghz48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hearing reports that some of the players were happy that Ozil and Sanchez were not starting on Sunday. Wonder what truth, if any, there is in that.

Still wouldn't surprise me to see both of them sold in January if replacements are lined up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The reporter started with "it seemed to me", I think I'll need a little more than his opinion on how the players appeared to him.

On a more positive note, I'm looking forward to watching Reiss Nelson tomorrow night, he looks the real deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

From what we saw last game Ozil and Sanchez won;t be a massive loss. I'd rather someone who plays for the club than for themselves. Reason why most people are happy with a point is because we played with grit attitude through out the game. It isn't like the match with Liverpool where you could see players isn't bothered playing on the field.

Then again it's something Arsenal needs to improve on, not just a one match game but to actually be consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

5star02707 wrote: »
    From what we saw last game Ozil and Sanchez won;t be a massive loss. I'd rather someone who plays for the club than for themselves. Reason why most people are happy with a point is because we played with grit attitude through out the game. It isn't like the match with Liverpool where you could see players isn't bothered playing on the field.

Then again it's something Arsenal needs to improve on, not just a one match game but to actually be consistent.

You can't say that off the back of one match. Sanchez is still the best player in the league..He's essential for any potential success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

No one player bigger that the team though.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »

True - but the team Arsenal have without him is not even close to being competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

callaway92 wrote: »
    True - but the team Arsenal have without him is not even close to being competitive

That's up to Wenger to balance. I know how brilliant Sanchez is, but if the rest of the team don't function with him, then there's only one winner. I actually thought we looked so solid without him losing the ball all the time! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

callaway92 wrote: »

Sunday showed thats not always the case. Arsenal did well and were unlucky not to pick up all 3 points after a very disciplined performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

emmetlego wrote: »

Unless they're Jan Molby. Or Neil Ruddock.

greendom wrote: »
    The reporter started with "it seemed to me", I think I'll need a little more than his opinion on how the players appeared to him.
    Someone posted last week that some players were a bit of a disruption in the dressing room and were not liked by the other players. I was wondering if there was a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The team has performed no better since Sanchez and Ozil arrived than the few seasons prior. The club will go on fine without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

AdamD wrote: »
    The team has performed no better since Sanchez and Ozil arrived than the few seasons prior. The club will go on fine without them.

I think that's particularly damning of Wenger/Arsenal and the recruiting since they came in. The team should have been performing better with these two players. I'm not disregarding the FA cup wins, but the league and European performances have been no better as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

We did look solid without Ozil and Sanchez at the weekend but we created very few chances. Ozil and Sanchez take extra risk to create chances, so they inevitably give away possession on occasions. We are a much better attacking side with them in the team, it is up to Wenger and the other players to be set up to defend when possession is turned over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

the ox must be loving life at pool :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

pudzey101 wrote: »

I just came here to post that.

Couldn't lol any harder at him.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Sunday showed thats not always the case. Arsenal did well and were unlucky not to pick up all 3 points after a very disciplined performance.

Again, it was a one off game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I just came here to post that.

Couldn't lol any harder at him.

Just as long as they know they can't give him back.

A deal's a deal, y'know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

marvin80 wrote: »
    Great prices and great bet. Pity it didn't come off.

Sorry Tayto but as a die hard dub I couldn't be happier that your bet didn't come off!!

Caught the first half of Arsenal and was highly impresssed. Was actually disappointed to hear later that we only drew.

omega man wrote: »
    Sorry Tayto but as a die hard dub I couldn't be happier that your bet didn't come off!!

Caught the first half of Arsenal and was highly impresssed. Was actually disappointed to hear later that we only drew.

Ah you could have won the replay :D
    I was at the game too and enjoyed it. The width of a post cost me. I was listening to the Arsenal game while watching the Dubs. It would have worked out at 632.50 but I nearly got my money back. Was worth a shot.

40 million for the Ox. Has anyone asked what they were smoking at Anfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Last year of his contract too. Unbelievable really. He is dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A bit too early and fate tempting yet to be calling Oxlade Chamberlain a failure at Liverpool methinks.

Going back to that question of whether the team is better or worse off without Sanchez or Ozil - It's a bit of a double edged sword really. I doubt if both of them were in the starting eleven the last day against Chelsea that we would have got the same level of defensive discipline from the team as a whole, but, on the other hand - for all the teams good work during the game - they lacked that bit of incisiveness and drive in an attacking sense. So maybe, maybe, what Ozil and Sanchez give you may actually work against the cohesiveness of the team on the field. I'm just saying maybe here, I don't think that for certain - we can't really know after one game. And I know some people are going to get hot and bothered at the mere thought of me lumping Sanchez in there with Ozil in the "maybe we could do without him" bracket, but I still do find it frustrating how much Sanchez gives the ball away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Arghus wrote: »
    A bit too early and fate tempting yet to be calling Oxlade Chamberlain a failure at Liverpool methinks.

Going back to that question of whether the team is better or worse off without Sanchez or Ozil - It's a bit of a double edged sword really. I doubt if both of them were in the starting eleven the last day against Chelsea that we would have got the same level of defensive discipline from the team as a whole, but, on the other hand - for all the teams good work during the game - they lacked that bit of incisiveness and drive in an attacking sense. So maybe, maybe, what Ozil and Sanchez give you may actually work against the cohesiveness of the team on the field. I'm just saying maybe here, I don't think that for certain - we can't really know after one game. And I know some people are going to get hot and bothered at the mere thought of me lumping Sanchez in there with Ozil in the "maybe we could do without him" bracket, but I still do find it frustrating how much Sanchez gives the ball away.

The Ox failed with us so Im assuming failure at Pool too.

Ive only one answer for Sanchez....who else in the team scores goals out of nothing?
    IMO,nobody has that little bit a magic to get a goal from nowhere.

I agree about Ozil and Sanchez maybe taking something from the team but thats up to the manager to make it work.

It all boils down to the manager,he cant make it work,he tried,he failed.
    There is a Premier League winning team in our squad bursting to get out but our dinosaur is holding them back.

Friend of mine from hornsey told me from inside we will make a move for cavani in january :) , tho he is likely to stay or join Atletico madrid before us :)

Friend of mine from hornsey told me from inside we will make a move for cavani in january :) , tho he is likely to stay or join Atletico madrid before us :)

It would work if we could get him as part of a swap deal with Sanchez. Keep him out of the clutches of the Manchester clubs.

As to the Ox he will undoubtedly have the odd fine moment or even game at Anfield. But unless Klopp is some kind of miracle worker he will largely flatter to deceive. He doesn't have the consistency to deliver on his potential.

40 million in the last year of his contract is extraordinary business by Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Ox out Reiss Nelson in, I'll take that any day ;) Excited to see some of our fringe and upcoming players tonight.

We're slowly bringing steel in to our team first is Xhaka then Kolasinac. Oh and Jack's back ^^

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We on telly tonight?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We on telly tonight?

Nope, United match is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We on telly tonight?
    It's on ESPN 3 if you are living in the US or DAZN if you are in Canada

And of course it's Fergie's son managing Doncaster

Ospina; Chambers, Mertesacker, Holding; Nelson, Elneny, Wilshere, Maitland-Niles; Walcott, Akpom, Iwobi seems to be the predicted line up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I wouldn't like to see him as a total flop at Liverpool.

If Walcott ever thought of leaving Arsenal, seeing Ox failing at the moment must make him realise how good he has it at Arsenal - which is not good for us.
    He could be harder to shift that Wenger!!

marvin80 wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see him as a total flop at Liverpool.

If Walcott ever thought of leaving Arsenal, seeing Ox failing at the moment must make him realise how good he has it at Arsenal - which is not good for us.
    He could be harder to shift that Wenger!!

I wish the guy well, he may not be the player that we needed, but i always got the impression that he wanted to win and at least tried which is more than I'd say for some of them. I don't think Liverpool was the right move for him though, he wont get the game time imo although he may get to play in his desired position when he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We should have tried to sell them Walcott as well!!! Maybe a bundle deal one for 40 million, two for 75! Special price for you Herr Klopp ;) Honest Arsenes used player emporium!!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ospina; Chambers, Mertesacker, Holding; Nelson, Elneny, Wilshere, Maitland-Niles; Walcott, Akpom, Iwobi seems to be the predicted line up

This game on anywhere?

Interesting line up. Nice to see some of the young lads getting a game.
    Nelson must be nearly ready for the first team too.

• Advertisement

sanchez performance will be interesting tonight :)

sanchez performance will be interesting tonight :)
    Also interesting to see Holding on the left.
    Hope Jack has a stormer and hope young Nelson scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Very excited about seeing a bunch of these young lads getting a run out.

Sky Sports News just showed a beaitiful pass from Wilshere to Giroud who struck his overhead kick against the bar

• Advertisement

Sky Sports News just showed a beaitiful pass from Wilshere to Giroud who struck his overhead kick against the bar

Yeah. Crazy to think he was widely panned as a bit of a donkey up until a couple of seasons ago. Would have been an amazing goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Any one care to show where they can watch this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Would be interested too, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What a pass from Alexis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yup great goal!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement