Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I dont think he is. Elneny Xhaka and Ozil ahead of them is our best midfield imo and Fabregas wouldnt get ahead of any of them in the team imo. Besides he hasnt got many years left in him.

Only Özil I'd put ahead of him, and they play in different positions

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it actually finally going to happen?

It's likely conjecture/clickbait but I think the fact that rumours are starting surface is a good sign that Wenger is finally going to make the right decision...

Apart from Allegri it's a pretty underwhelming shortlist though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I dont think he is. Elneny Xhaka and Ozil ahead of them is our best midfield imo and Fabregas wouldnt get ahead of any of them in the team imo. Besides he hasnt got many years left in him.

What if, say, 2 out of those 3 aren't available for a game against, say, Chelsea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Mickeroo wrote: »

It's likely conjecture/clickbait but I think the fact that rumours are starting surface is a good sign that Wenger is finally going to make the right decision...

I think its not a bad list.
    I just want something different. Its stale at this stage.

Yes it might be a disaster like what happened at United after Fergie but every year is the same and has been for too long.

Time for a divorce and younger model even if the grass may actually not be greener.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ronjo wrote: »
    I think its not a bad list.
    I just want something different. Its stale at this stage.

Yes it might be a disaster like what happened at United after Fergie but every year is the same and has been for too long.

Time for a divorce and younger model even if the grass may actually not be greener.

Agreed, but I think unless we go all out for someone like Simeone or Ancellote the team will be stuck in the same limbo it has been for the last decade and a bit. Would still rather take a chance on one of those 4 than stick with Arsene for another few years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think despite all the bad stuff said, that we are very very close to competing for the league. Just some of the players need a new spark is all. Allegri seems like a good fit, id love Simeone tbh but Im not sure he would be interested. I remember reading a piece somewhere about how he would love to manage Inter Milan

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Completely agree - he's had one or two decent games this season that's it. One of his main highlights being the goal against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mickeroo wrote: »

Praise the Lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Praise the Lord.

Don't be getting your hopes up...
    Id be weary of any stories really, Wenger In/Out is a hot topic and surefire clicks for any articles

• Advertisement

I see Andy Carroll got goal of the month for January. Giroud has to feel very hard done by, he'll never get a goal like that again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Basil3 wrote: »
    I see Andy Carroll got goal of the month for January. Giroud has to feel very hard done by, he'll never get a goal like that again!

Both excellent goals - Tough on Olivier - the fact that Carroll is English probably got him over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Girouds was better, but it's more hip to like Andy Carroll at the moment.

If Ollie was offside he'd have won it I suppose...

Or English

I hate to say it, but his celebration in the next game probably cost him a few votes.

Two absolute beauties, though.

I seem to remember Dennis scoring the best goal ever scored was runner up to some lad off Southampton. Chris Marsden or something.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but his celebration in the next game probably cost him a few votes.

Two absolute beauties, though.

I seem to remember Dennis scoring the best goal ever scored was runner up to some lad off Southampton. Chris Marsden or something.

Yes, funny how these English wonder strikes don't appear on highlights reels as much after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Ah Girouds goal was clearly better than Carrolls imo. I've seen goals like Carrolls before, Girouds was unique in it's own right. I know mkhytaryan scored a scorpion as well, but Girouds was a lot more difficult to execute.

DeclanRe wrote: »

The first listed article i find it hard to disagree with it tbh. The second one is total rubbish though

Ah Girouds goal was clearly better than Carrolls imo. I've seen goals like Carrolls before, Girouds was unique in it's own right. I know mkhytaryan scored a scorpion as well, but Girouds was a lot more difficult to execute.

It being onside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'd take Allegri any day of the week. Think we'd need a strong established manager to take over Wenger and from looking at his success over the last 5 seasons he looks to settle in pretty quickly. Conte has shown that is possible to come from Serie A and work in the Premier League. Ultimately the board will determine who the manager is (and I am not optimistic they'll go with the best choice).

There does seem to be some substance to the rumour too as I have seen reports from Tardelli and Lippi in recent weeks saying he'd be a good Manager to appoint to succeed Wenger.

In the meantime finishing in the top four needs to happen. We'll have a better calibre of manager linked with the job, although that could all be irrelevant if the board do go with Eddie Howe.

There is very little to suggest that a good manager on the continent will make a good manager in England. Nothing can be taken for granted.

What we do need is someone who will instill a bit of fight into the team because we're not winning many battles now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ah Jeez tayto I give up with you.

Who would you want? Terry Butcher? They could all wear bloodied headbands and we could bait the opposition off the field every time we played.

Roddy23 wrote: »

Who would you want? Terry Butcher? They could all wear bloodied headbands and we could bait the opposition off the field every time we played.

Ha ha that would make a pleasant change :pac:

Ian Wright on 5 live talking about Wenger now. Well worth a listen.

greendom wrote: »
    Ian Wright on 5 live talking about Wenger now. Well worth a listen.

Well said, Wrighty.

We do need more aggresivity.

Ha ha that would make a pleasant change :pac:

The 1970's called

mansize wrote: »
    The 1970's called

Thats a kind of ageist remark for someone who hates being marginalised and loves playing the poor innocent victim now isnt it? :rolleyes:

Thats a kind of ageist remark for someone who hates being marginalised and loves playing the poor innocent victim now isnt it? :rolleyes:

It was a refrence to when that footballing style was effective

They would be sent off now with long bans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

It was the 80's anyway...

• Advertisement

gitzy16v wrote: »
    It was the 80's anyway...

The 80's got a lot more continental. 70s when the hatchet men ruled

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Well said, Wrighty.

We do need more aggresivity.

That's a new adjective for me!

Im sure Terry Butchers bloodied head bandage was mentioned...it was the 80's calling....
    Nobody mentioned hatchet men,you made that up all by yourself.

Anyway,hes right,this team has long needed a few players willing to stand up for themselves and their team-mates.

Im sure Terry Butchers bloodied head bandage was mentioned...it was the 80's calling....
    Nobody mentioned hatchet men,you made that up all by yourself.

Anyway,hes right,this team has long needed a few players willing to stand up for themselves and their team-mates.

I meant the other part about players getting stuck in

Roddy23 wrote: »

How about getting players with the aggression level we had with Keown, Adams, Vieira?

Getting stuck in does NOT mean becoming a hatchet man of the 70's.
    We could be way more aggressive and still be within the rules of the game,as it is today.
    We are way to soft,just rolling over whenever anybody plays a bit rough with us.
    Its been a tactic of plenty of teams to get in our faces and disrupt us,all because they know we cant handle it and fall asunder.

Then getting physical was early eighties too...

Getting stuck in does NOT mean becoming a hatchet man of the 70's.
    We could be way more aggressive and still be within the rules of the game,as it is today.
    We are way to soft,just rolling over whenever anybody plays a bit rough with us.
    Its been a tactic of plenty of teams to get in our faces and disrupt us,all because they know we cant handle it and fall asunder.

Any of our players does anything remotly physical sees the refs brandishing reds

Other teams seem to be allowed more leeway

Awh here we go again

• Advertisement

Awh here we go again

Was that Keenan or Kel?

It was the skinny one. The other guy on SNL a lot now

No the videos....I love orange soda

It was a great thread we had once. Shame

I see a lot of you guys havent got much love for Eddie Howe as a replacement,I was wondering what your reasons are.
    Not big enough profile,not tested in major leagues,not managed a top club?
    I really like him,he took B/mouth from nowhere to established PL team in a relatively short time,he plays a good style of football and most importantly(for me anyway) he can work within a tight budget.
    I think if AW goes and the board carries on as usual Eddie Howe could be the right man to keep us going without doing a Man U or Liverpool and dropping out of the CL places.
    If the board suddenly decide to "splash the cash" for a new man then I'd much rather somebody like Allegri,but sadly I think they wont.

I see a lot of you guys havent got much love for Eddie Howe as a replacement,I was wondering what your reasons are.
    Not big enough profile,not tested in major leagues,not managed a top club?
    I really like him,he took B/mouth from nowhere to established PL team in a relatively short time,he plays a good style of football and most importantly(for me anyway) he can work within a tight budget.
    I think if AW goes and the board carries on as usual Eddie Howe could be the right man to keep us going without doing a Man U or Liverpool and dropping out of the CL places.
    If the board suddenly decide to "splash the cash" for a new man then I'd much rather somebody like Allegri,but sadly I think they wont.

I like Eddie but its too much of a step up to be honest. We have the money. Go for a top boss. They cant be looking for more than 8m a year and who knows, they might actually be interested in leaving no stone unturned to win something.

I like Eddie but its too much of a step up to be honest. We have the money. Go for a top boss. They cant be looking for more than 8m a year and who knows, they might actually be interested in leaving no stone unturned to win something.

Id love nothing more than for us to go get a top boss in.
    Do you think someone like Allegri(only cos he's linked in the news)or A.N.Other would work under this penny pinching board.
    Ive a bad feeling that when Arsene goes that we will see that he has been saving us from tumbling down the table because of the boards reluctance to open the wallet for anymore than scraping CL spots every season.

My reason for thinking Eddie Howe is a good appointment is that I think he will keep us at least where we are AND will show how the board has been the biggest problem at Arsenal this past 6,7,8,9 seasons not Arsene.

Ive no doubt that AW loves Arsenal,I feel he's staying on because he thinks it would be worse if he left(I disagree),hence EH could do the same or better in my eyes.
    Im dead set against Kroenke,he's a leech,and Ive a nagging suspicion in the back of my head that Arsene knows Stan is no good for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Id love nothing more than for us to go get a top boss in.
    Do you think someone like Allegri(only cos he's linked in the news)or A.N.Other would work under this penny pinching board.
    Ive a bad feeling that when Arsene goes that we will see that he has been saving us from tumbling down the table because of the boards reluctance to open the wallet for anymore than scraping CL spots every season.

My reason for thinking Eddie Howe is a good appointment is that I think he will keep us at least where we are AND will show how the board has been the biggest problem at Arsenal this past 6,7,8,9 seasons not Arsene.

Ive no doubt that AW loves Arsenal,I feel he's staying on because he thinks it would be worse if he left(I disagree),hence EH could do the same or better in my eyes.
    Im dead set against Kroenke,he's a leech,and Ive a nagging suspicion in the back of my head that Arsene knows Stan is no good for Arsenal.

id love Allegri. He doesnt suffer fools gladly, builds great team spirit and gets the maximum of what is at his disposal. You cant ask for much more really.

id love Allegri. He doesnt suffer fools gladly, builds great team spirit and gets the maximum of what is at his disposal. You cant ask for much more really.

Funny that AW goes on and on about team spirit,im not seeing too much of it myself.

Get Allegri in and Id be over the moon,I just think we will end up with Howe because of the board and I wouldnt be that disappointed if that was the case.

Something has to change.Anything at this stage:pac:

This is true. Howe may well turn out to be a great manager but to come in after Wenger's 21 year legacy, a manager with a real aura has to come in and instantly earn respect of the players and to have the confidence and ability to create a new era.

A guy who's been at the top level for a much longer span than Howe and who has managed much bigger clubs than Bournemouth. Allegri would be a great choice.

I think no High profile manager would like to follow Wenger, let someone flop then "rescue" the club is their modus operandi

Ian Wright was brilliant on 5 live. Spoke with real warmth about Arsene.

He said that he was at a function with him last night and really got the impression from speaking to him that Wenger knows his time is up.

He said that the players had let him down in recent years. Betrayed his faith in them.

He agreed that Wenger's time was up but he did it with respect and he couldn't hide the obvious admiration he has for the man.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement