Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

mansize wrote: »

Cant see Twitter here.
    What does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

In different seasons, adding a high value player is winning the league??? But adding numerous isn't? Do me a favour

Arsenal aren't poor, but they haven't the cash cows City and Chelsea have

I fully understand that we couldn't compete with Chelsea/Man City in the market for a decade but performances like last night has nothing to do with money, it was shambolic to say the least...they were like headless chickens in the second half. so please don't bring money in every abysmal performance.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Finish 2nd and nearly win.

Nearly never bulled a cow as my brother says.

If we nearly win will they make t shirts? We nearly won the UCL, didn't, doesn't console

I fully understand that we couldn't compete with Chelsea/Man City in the market for a decade but performances like last night has nothing to do with money, it was shambolic to say the least...they were like headless chickens in the second half. so please don't bring money in every abysmal performance.

We are discussing more than that now tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm off to enjoy the free sights of Munich. Later guys

Why don't ya get your head out of your phone and enjoy the sights?

Seriously though I understand why you hold on to the loyalty you do but is there no failings that are Wengers fault in your eyes? You seem to have an excuse for everything that is said about him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SlickRic wrote: »
    Stop taking one tiny part of what I said, taking it out of context, and running with it.
    You're obviously new to this thread.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nearly never bulled a cow as my brother says.

If we nearly win will they make t shirts? We nearly won the UCL, didn't, doesn't console

At least nearly tried.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Why don't ya get your head out of your phone and enjoy the sights?

Seriously though I understand why you hold on to the loyalty you do but is there no failings that are Wengers fault in your eyes? You seem to have an excuse for everything that is said about him!

I have highlighted Wenger's failings, but believe he's successes still outweigh them enough to give him respect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Arsenal have out spent Chelsea over the past 5 years not really a lot to show for it on the field. So Arsenal are have tried to buy the league but it has not worked out.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Arsenal have out spent Chelsea over the past 5 years not really a lot to show for it on the field. So Arsenal are have tried to buy the league but it has not worked out.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

I have explained before how that logic is flawed so I won't bother repeating it. Picking an arbitrary point in time is never good analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I have highlighted Wenger's failings, but believe he's successes still outweigh them enough to give him respect

I respect him. Nearly everyone here respects him. Noone is debating the respect for the man.

However he's out of touch with modern football and has been for a while now. Best for both him and the club if he moved on.

domrush wrote: »
    I respect him. Nearly everyone here respects him. Noone is debating the respect for the man.

However he's out of touch with modern football and has been for a while now. Best for both him and the club if he moved on.

I feel somethings said about him are horrible unfair and disrespectful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

GavRedKing wrote: »
    So what youre saying is Arsenal are funded by Usmanovs "oil" money too?

It's not the same though, you know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I have explained before how that logic is flawed so I won't bother repeating it. Picking an arbitrary point in time is never good analysis

Its more of timespan than one single point in time, Arsenal ahve tried to compete. Theyve spent serious money but still came up short, so thats on Wenger, IMO.

A better coach has Arsenal fighting for the title up until the last kick of the ball or better, winning the league.

Its all well and good saying we finished second so we were close to winning it, how many points did Leicester win the tiutle by, 8 or 9 points? Arsenal were never in the title race down the home stretch, Leicester romped to the title without much pressure.

I feel somethings said about him are horrible unfair and disrespectful

I don't agree with you on a lot of things and I find your posting style abrasive but yes there's been some harsh things put to the man.

However when you claim the team is the strongest its ever been then get hockeyed in the CL and face another battle just to win the right to get hockeyed again next year I can understand why tempers are up. Time to go. Its easy to argue bout the lack of success before him and I'll always be grateful to him for turning us into a properly big club, but he's lost touch with how to use the resources available to him effectively, to the point where I couldn't see us slipping any further with a semi competent manager.

I would fancy United to finish above us this year in their first year with a competent manager, who had to build a side from scratch. Says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It's not the same though, you know this.

Well youve Kroenke milking the club and taking huge dividends but Usmanov wants to spend big.

So on one hand youve got potential success and spending to compete with the biggest in the game on the other hand youve an excellent business model that ensures its sustainable.

Arsenal need a middle ground and nearly every big club has it.

Arbitrary - the last 5 years would be current to my mind therefore fundamental to a discussion as to why Arsenal have not won the league in recent times, then one would say it is absolutely logical and discussing prior history is irrelevant.

For what it is worth I really hope Wenger gets a new contract I like him.

Chelsea probably the most business savvy club in the league. Don't know why they're being bashed with a stick on here for spending big initially, they've been fairly self funded in recent years through excellent transfer dealings, success and a great youth farming system.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Well youve Kroenke milking the club and taking huge dividends but Usmanov wants to spend big.

So on one hand youve got potential success and spending to compete with the biggest in the game on the other hand youve an excellent business model that ensures its sustainable.

Arsenal need a middle ground and nearly every big club has it.

Exactly I agree with that. Chelsea's model is very different to Arsenal. I presume this is what mansize is getting at.

I'm not saying one is right and one is wrong, but to ignore that fact would be missing out on a large part of the situation.

Chelsea probably the most business savvy club in the league. Don't know why they're being bashed with a stick on here for spending big initially, they've been fairly self funded in recent years through excellent transfer dealings, success and a great youth farming system.

Thing is top flight football has a very high barrier to entry. If I wanted to start a company tomorrow making chips for computers I would have to spend quite a few schillings in order to compete with Intel or AMD.

To compete with the best you have to be prepared to spend - and FFP just reinforced that really.

It wasn't bashing- it was saying what the new reality is. They spent big initially and now plateaued so that's why the 5 year spend thing is an unfair comparison

If a man ploughs and tills his field for years and enriches the soil, Do people expend the same results a few years later if his neighbour hasnt but now buys the same seeds???

I know my posting style can appear aggressive I do try to temper that. It goes against me in real life too- a contrary bastard to discuss things with!

Apologies to Gav or anyone new today who feels I was abrasive with them. I am trying

Thing is top flight football has a very high barrier to entry. If I wanted to start a company tomorrow making chips for computers I would have to spend quite a few schillings in order to compete with Intel or AMD.

To compete with the best you have to be prepared to spend - and FFP just reinforced that really.

Yes, to be the best in Europe which I presume the Emirates was built in anticipation for, then you have to pay the best , get the best etc.

Will be an interesting few years ahead for Arsenal.

And other teams in the premier league, a lot of teams wanting that top spot in the league.

FFP was a joke. Now it's a dead joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I hadnt checked in since this morning, thought I had missed some announcement...
    Im gobsmacked at how a person can be on a short trip abroad in a beautiful city like Munich and still find so much time to be glued to a phone posting on Boards???

Lunch at Kennedy's and free wifi, this thread is more addictive that crack sometimes. And I'm broke!

Lunch at Kennedy's and free wifi, this thread is more addictive that crack sometimes. And I'm broke!

Munich not a great place to be when broke, lovely place but expensive.

Yea would agree with that seemed to die with the change at the top in UEFA, still the threat is on the books until the rules are officially relaxed.

Either that or it will be enforced with vigor and that would be real interesting.

• Advertisement

BMW Welt is free and a decent way to waste an hour or two if you've any interests in cars.

Quazzie I don't but cheers. I'll prob just mooch around looking at architecture

Munich being expensive is the reason I'm
    Broke lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Munich not a great place to be when broke, lovely place but expensive.

happy place though #2012

Quazzie I don't but cheers. I'll prob just mooch around looking at architecture

Munich being expensive is the reason I'm
    Broke lol
    I'm an architecture buff myself, and that's the second best reason to go to BMW Welt.
    bmw-welt-16.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Success at Arsenal is finish in the top 4 in the PL. Get knocked out in the last 16 first leg of CL. Win the odd FA cup. Then that is OK by many. Mr Wenger can do that. Manage the club so that the money men get their returns, a safe pair of hands. Mr Wenger can do that.

Anything better, a new manager is needed. Several players on the team too soft. No doubt next season it will be rinse and repeat. I would rather not qualify for the CL for the team to be humiliated annually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Success at Arsenal is finish in the top 4 in the PL. Get knocked out in the last 16 first leg of CL. Win the odd FA cup. Then that is OK by many. Mr Wenger can do that. Manage the club so that the money men get their returns, a safe pair of hands. Mr Wenger can do that.

Anything better, a new manager is needed. Several players on the team too soft. No doubt next season it will be rinse and repeat. I would rather not qualify for the CL for the team to be humiliated annually.

there's a real danger of missing out on CL this season. 5 clubs after 3 places and if Koscielny is out for a significant length of time we will really struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

greendom wrote: »
    there's a real danger of missing out on CL this season. 5 clubs after 3 places and if Koscielny is out for a significant length of time we will really struggle.

It might be for the better, if anything, it might generate motivation and change.

I would further argue we are not good enough to be in the CL, on the current evidence and the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I still enjoyed the matchday experience last eve. The away fans are a hardcore passionate bunch!

Robben's goal was sublime and Sanchez' penalty was entertaining.

I don't consider the money spent coming to Germany (or Scotland two weeks ago) money wasted.

funny_arse.jpg

United are playing better football than us. City making their comeback. Pool will probably click with Mane back and tend to perform well against the big teams. Spurs with an excellent defence and a good system.

I'd have us as underdogs to get CL. Especially since we completely rely on Sanchez to create and score everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mickeroo wrote: »
    At least nearly tried.

Awe that's cute.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I still enjoyed the matchday experience last eve. The away fans are a hardcore passionate bunch!

Robben's goal was sublime and Sanchez' penalty was entertaining.

I don't consider the money spent coming to Germany (or Scotland two weeks ago) money wasted.

funny_arse.jpg

That's not what I said, but the positives do outweigh the negatives- or these meds are REALLY good lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Yea would agree with that seemed to die with the change at the top in UEFA, still the threat is on the books until the rules are officially relaxed.

Either that or it will be enforced with vigor and that would be real interesting.

I figured a bunch of the big teams banded together and said to UEFA either FFP is scrapped or the European Super League would be back on the table. Christ Arsenal bought into it hook, line and sinker. Surely people inside football knew the reality of it FFP wouldn't work with so many powerful teams.

That's not what I said, but the positives do outweigh the negatives- or these meds are REALLY good lol
    I think the meds are working spectacularly if you think there were more positives last night than negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I can think of 5 pretty big negatives last night

I did say the matchday experience- and Robben's goal was class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i'm sorry but this is funny

C4vIWdgWYAEk0Ey.jpg

I propose Arsenal spend a billion on players next Summer. Would have a pretty good chance of winning the league, and could also have pretty much 0 net spend for the 5 years following. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

United are playing better football than us. City making their comeback. Pool will probably click with Mane back and tend to perform well against the big teams. Spurs with an excellent defence and a good system.

I'd have us as underdogs to get CL. Especially since we completely rely on Sanchez to create and score everything.

In all honestly does it matter if we dont get top4 this year? We arent winning it any time soon. Argument could be made that a year out of it would give the new man time to implement his ways and focus on the league like Conte

wawaman wrote: »
    In all honestly does it matter if we dont get top4 this year? We arent winning it any time soon. Argument could be made that a year out of it would give the new man time to implement his ways and focus on the league like Conte

Yes, it is a big problem due to the way the club is run. It's a self sustaining model, and sadly removing Champion's League income will have a major effect on the club's finances. They would also need to pay above the odds to attract decent players who would like to be playing European football.

Dropping out of the top 4 would be fine if Kroenke was going to invest.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yes, it is a big problem due to the way the club is run. It's a self sustaining model, and sadly removing Champion's League income will have a major effect on the club's finances. They would also need to pay above the odds to attract decent players who would like to be playing European football.

Dropping out of the top 4 would be fine if Kroenke was going to invest.
    United are self-sustaining, Chelsea are self-sustaining, Bayern are self-sustaining, what's the difference?

Also the Champions League money means a lot less than it did a few years ago, PL rights swamp the CL money now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement