Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I really, really hate Ramsey. Has there ever been a player with less end product?

We recently got £40M for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I really, really hate Ramsey. Has there ever been a player with less end product?

Eh? That just goes down as a great save for me.

The Ox?

Decent strike, back away from where the keeper was heading. Great save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I don't blame him for not scoring, was a good save.

I do blame him for not helping Xhaka out in midfield. Time and time again, we're passing the ball around in defence, Xhaka's marked, and where's Ramsey? Edge of their box, not providing an option. Get Wilshere on.

Jaysus Michael Owen and Robbie Savage in studio today...

That particular time yeah was a decent save. It just takes so many chances for him to not waste chances or possession. 3 flicks outside the box then he'll pass it to an opposition player.

Well worked goal

Some backheel from Sanchez

Jesus my steam is about 5 mins behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Whats Ramsey thinking half the time

• Advertisement

Lacazette got a foul for pulling a defenders shirt 5 mins ago, now a defender pulls his shirt when he's through on goal and it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Tired of Laca being taken off early. The man needs to get some goals, nothing worse than a striker being taken off in a game like this without scoring. Aguero and Suarez used to go mental when it happened.

How many times can Dunk and Duffy foul without getting carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If someone tried to breed a Premier League Journeyman in a lab the results would look a lot like Glenn Murray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Drew at home to Middlesbrough last season so beating Brighton improves Arsenal's results v last season. Next game where they can improve is away to Everton. Is that 4 clean sheets in a row in the league now?

Stat|2017/18|2016/17|Diff
    Corresponding points|13|13|0
    Projected points|75|75|0
    Scored 3 or more|2|14*|-12
    Won by 3 or more|1|7*|-6
    Clean sheets|4|13*|-9

*over full season

L'prof wrote: »
    Drew at home to Middlesbrough last season so beating Brighton improves Arsenal's results v last season. Next game where they can improve is away to Everton. Is that 4 clean sheets in a row in the league now?

Stat|2017/18|2016/17|Diff
    Corresponding points|13|13|0
    Projected points|75|75|0
    Scored 3 or more|2|14*|-12
    Won by 3 or more|1|7*|-6
    Clean sheets|4|13*|-9

*over full season

Maybe add a third column for the "Scored 3 or more" and for the "Clean sheets" which shows projected totals ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

We looked vulnerable after the 3 subs came on, especially Elneny. Our shape was dreadful and but for good defending could have shipped a couple of goals at the end. I was hoping to see Jack sub on for Xhaka.

On a positive note, turned things around nicely since our poor start. Lacazette is a quality player and that would have been contender for goal of the season when he struck the post.

Poxy interlull now! :-(

Funnily enough, and I know it's very early days but the current top 5 is my predictions for the end of season positions also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A win is a win. Brighton were very poor and will struggle.
    A clean sheet even if we didn't defend too well.
    On Ramsey, I thought he offered the usual all action huff and puff but he was awful today. I like the chap as he's all energy, but he's brainless at times.

A win is a win. Brighton were very poor and will struggle.
    A clean sheet even if we didn't defend too well.
    On Ramsey, I thought he offered the usual all action huff and puff but he was awful today. I like the chap as he's all energy, but he's brainless at times.

If he's going to play he needs to not be one of the central midfielders. Seems to think he's a striker.

If he's going to play he needs to not be one of the central midfielders. Seems to think he's a striker.

I actually burst out laughing when he nearly decapitated Iwobi with that "pass".

• Advertisement

Poor old Eboue diagnosed with HIV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Our midfield still gives me the shivers.

Can't seem to get it right for a long time now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

emmetlego wrote: »

Jaysus.

Ahh fúck thats awful stuff :(

That said there is more can be done to deal with this condition today. I really wish him well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I've always supported Ozil but I'm beginning to believe that our midfield is more solid and harder to break down without him. We miss his creative spark and his movement but overall I think the team performs better without him certainly in tougher matches.

The improvement could also be down to no longer having to force the Ox into the team which led to half the defence playing out of their natural positions.

greendom wrote: »
    I've always supported Ozil but I'm beginning to believe that our midfield is more solid and harder to break down without him. We miss his creative spark and his movement but overall I think the team performs better without him certainly in tougher matches.

The improvement could also be down to no longer having to force the Ox into the team which led to half the defence playing out of their natural positions.
    I don't mind once he goes foreign. A competent manager will get the best from him, and I'd rather not see that happen to a competitor

Looks like silent Stan isn't getting his way just yet

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/915593743025176579

Basil3 wrote: »
    Looks like silent Stan isn't getting his way just yet

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/915593743025176579
    Just coming to post that. Good news IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Usmanov knows the right things to say at least. Good that he is staying onboard and not selling out, whatever chance we have at the moment, giving Stan any more would be a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pair of w*nkers. Wish they'd both f*ck off.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Pair of w*nkers. Wish they'd both f*ck off.

Well to be fair at least Usmanov has an interest in football by the sounds of things and shares the supporters ambitions. He's not a greedy leech like Kroenke and the other parasites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Well to be fair at least Usmanov has an interest in football by the sounds of things and shares the supporters ambitions. He's not a greedy leech like Kroenke and the other parasites.

Talk is cheap.

It's all great sitting there not having to make decisions and just being a general naysayer, echoing whatever the fans say to appease them but I wouldn't trust him anymore than Kronke.

The best we could hope for is that a third party gets involved and takes some shares off Kronke and has an actual interest in the Arsenal and seeing them succeed rather than just another investor. The chances of that happening though are very slim I would imagine though.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Talk is cheap.

It's all great sitting there not having to make decisions and just being a general naysayer, echoing whatever the fans say to appease them but I wouldn't trust him anymore than Kronke.

The best we could hope for is that a third party gets involved and takes some shares off Kronke and has an actual interest in the Arsenal and seeing them succeed rather than just another investor. The chances of that happening though are very slim I would imagine though.

Big difference between him and Stan though, Stan has history of taking over clubs purely for profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Big difference between him and Stan though, Stan has history of taking over clubs purely for profit.

Fans shouldnt warm to Usmanov purely because he isnt Kroenke. he isnt some noble white knight. In an ideal world neither of these should be involved in the club

Talk is cheap.

Very unlikely considering Kronke refused to sell his shares and actually tried to buy Usmanov's.

wawaman wrote: »
    Fans shouldnt warm to Usmanov purely because he isnt Kroenke. he isnt some noble white knight. In an ideal world neither of these should be involved in the club
    I’m just pointing out that he would most likely be an improvement on that pox on our club Stan.

Talk is cheap.

I hear ya but i do believe he'd put his money where his mouth is in terms of transfers. He'd be more in the Abramovich mould. Im not saying he is a saint and that is a whole different discussion. However, looking at how his former business partner Moshiri is opening the chequebook at Everton id say its a good indicator of how Usmanov would conduct business at Arsenal. Id imagine they are like minded individuals. Usmanov might also at least bring David Dein back into the frame.

Kroenke and his ilk are poison on the other hand. Sooner they take a hint and fúck off back to their ranch the better

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Usmanov put the rumour out of Kroenkes bid myself to be honest so he could look good dismissing it and do you know what, good luck to him. I hope the Arsenal fans start to protest at games and get that poisonous leech out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Usmanov might also at least bring David Dein back into the frame.

I rue the day Dein left - transfer wheels fell completely off the wagon

• Advertisement

I rue the day Dein left - transfer wheels fell completely off the wagon

That day was an epic disaster for the club. Dein got more big deals over the line and under the radar in some cases too.

Funnily enough David Dein brought both Usmanov and Kroenke into the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah that's true, Dein was great with Wenger etc. but in the end brought Kroenke into the fold. So wouldn't want Dein back and he is also quite old now too, in his 70s I think.

Yeah that's true, Dein was great with Wenger etc. but in the end brought Kroenke into the fold. So wouldn't want Dein back and he is also quite old now too, in his 70s I think.

Not true, KSE bought out ITVs 10% and increased their stake over time. The Arsenal shares were available on an exclusive stock market which David Dein had no control over. This was done to help them finance the stadium and bring the club forward. Hill-wood actually invited Kroenke onto the board after ousting Dein around 2008.

The general consensus at the time in the mid noughties was that the only reason that billionaires were buying clubs around that time was to flex their financial muscles/egos, however, no one really knew that Lerner, Kroenke, Hicks and Gillett and to a certain degree the Glazers, operated in a different way. The only reason the Glazers got away with such reckless running of United is because United were winning and the only reason they kept winning is probably down to their manager and fanbase at the time who were hungry bears who had to be constantly fed

And still at every single Gunners game

David Dein is?? Didn’t know that. Legend

• Advertisement

David Dein is?? Didn’t know that. Legend

Yep apparently rarely missed a match even away form home

Not true, KSE bought out ITVs 10% and increased their stake over time. The Arsenal shares were available on an exclusive stock market which David Dein had no control over. This was done to help them finance the stadium and bring the club forward. Hill-wood actually invited Kroenke onto the board after ousting Dein around 2008.

You sure about that? I was under the impression that Dein brokered the deal between Kroenke and Granada in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah we need a David Dein figure at the club, someone who will genuinely challenge Wenger on decisions and also have his respect. I'm sure there are younger candidates out there for a director of football figure. However Wenger won't have it and his response to the director of football comment at the end of last season says it all about his attitude to it.

@tipp_gunner interesting take on it and accept that I may be wrong about Dein and Kroenke coming in to the club. Have read various different stories about it online.

Even Don Howe challenged Wenger....I see nobody in that role now

You sure about that? I was under the impression that Dein brokered the deal between Kroenke and Granada in the first place.

I can remember reading that Arsenals shares were traded on some plus market years ago. Now thats not to say that Dein might have been touting for investment and may have approached KSE. Dont forget also that Arsenal needed wealthy investors at the time no matter who they were because we were in the midst of planning the stadium construction.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement