Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Defeats by 4+ goals since 2011 all competitions

Spurs 7
    Arsenal 7
    City 3
    Utd 3
    Liverpool 2
    Chelsea 0

From twitter.

And Weber played the most UCL football tbf

There are very high quality learned posters on this thread, I should pay more attention to their posts. Better for my blood pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

mansize wrote: »
    There are very high quality learned posters on this thread, I should pay more attention to their posts. Better for my blood pressure

Maybe posting less would be good for your blood pressure? Every 3rd or 4th post seems to be yours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

farna_boy wrote: »
    In fairness trying to compare us to Bayern is ridiculous. Bayern might be 4th but the next closest to them in Germany is Dortmund who have a quarter of the wealth that Bayern have.

Compare that to Arsenal, who are the second richest in England but City and Chelsea are actually quite close in terms of wealth.

So what does that actually mean? Well if a fantastic player is playing in Germany and wants to progress, Bayern are the obvious choice for him. It is also clear, looking at the rich list, that Bayern can outbid anyone else and are the clear favourites to attract and sign anyone the want or anyone who might want to play in Germany.

If the same player was in England (or wanted to play in England) though, it is a far different story. Instead of one club, there are four massively rich clubs, one of which is Arsenal. The player could go to any. At Arsenal he may be guaranteed CL football, but the wage structure is far lower for the top players there than in any of the other 3 clubs.

If Arsenal were to change the wage structure, then I have no doubt we would be as attractive, if not more so than any other club. But that would mean less profits for the board and Kronke and Stan so I don't see it happening soon because as soon as one player gets an increase, every player will need an increase accordingly.

If we want to push on, that is what needs to change, because if it doesn't change, it won't matter if Wenger stays or goes, we won't be able to get the best talent in.

Yeah well said, I don't disagree with you on these points. We do have the financial ability to compete etc, but Kroenke and co aren't interested in pushing the boat out.

Our problems this season have nothing to do with the talent at our disposal or wage structures etc. It's purely to do with the manager not coaching, motivating his players and being tactically inept. In the premier league this season our squad is as good as anyone's and yet we are still miles off the title. Last night wasn't good enough from both the team and the manager.

As you say the wage structure etc needs to change, but so does the manager. A change in wage structure won't improve things either if Wenger is still in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Defeats by 4+ goals since 2011 all competitions

Spurs 7
    Arsenal 7
    City 3
    Utd 3
    Liverpool 2
    Chelsea 0

From twitter.

And Weber played the most UCL football tbf

Loss is a loss. Go away and find the stats there on us vs the top clubs over the last few years.

Actually I'll tell you what before you snake away or do your usual diversion tactics.

Arsenal vs the current top 6 in the league away.

Played 21
    Wins FÜCKING ZERO
    Losses 14
    Draws 7

Zero. 0 in 21.

Who's to blame for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Soups123 wrote: »
    Here is how I would like to see it go from here.

I would like to see Arsene come out and say I am done and this will be my last season. Immediately the atmosphere and feeling around the club will turn from septic to emotional, we can all sit back and enjoy the last 10+ games of a great man, the players might buy into it and step up filling the stadium with high emotion and atmosphere , maybe pull in an FA Cup.  This way we get to give him the respect and send off he deserves.

If he says nothing the season will stay septic until the very end and the chance supporters would like to have to give him the send off he truly deserves will pass
    well said

wawaman wrote: »
    How can a team go to pieces when one player leaves the field? I remember a time when our captain went to prison and we still won the league

And we were docked two points for a brawl at Old trafford that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Loss is a loss. Go away and find the stats there on us vs the top clubs over the last few years.

Actually I'll tell you what before you snake away or do your usual diversion tactics.

Arsenal vs the current top 6 in the league away.

Played 21
    Wins FÜCKING ZERO
    Losses 14
    Draws 7

Zero. 0 in 21.

Who's to blame for that?

Over what time period ? Was it that long ago that we win at the Ethiad?

greendom wrote: »
    Over what time period ? Was it that long ago that we win at the Ethiad?

Yeah, that stat is wrong. Sounds impressive though. 21 away matches would stretch back at least 4 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, that stat is wrong. Sounds impressive though. 21 away matches would stretch back at least 4 seasons.

https://twitter.com/BlackScarfAFC/status/810856403560701952/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Accurate until December 2016.

Screenshot_20170216-214508_zpsa9xusfja.png

Its laughably bad.

• Advertisement

Can't check dates but I make it 3 wins in the last 23 against the rest of the current top 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Looking increasingly likely from reports of people involved in and around the team, that this is Wengers last season. He looked broken being interviewed and that saddens me... But he's brought all this on himself.

He should however be treated with dignity by the fans, the only way that will happen, is if he announces prior to season end that he's finishing up. Then we could celebrate everything he has done for the club, and thank him for all he's done. Despite this last few years where I gave up defending his ineptitude, he has been overall, a massive plus in the club's history, and I feel that should be respected. But only if he does the recent thing now, and refuses to take the 2 year contract.

It's bad, but still alternative facts. Against the current top 6 means 5 away games per season for at least 4 seasons. I'd say we've beaten city, spurs and Liverpool away in that time.

It also can't mean the top 6 in each season, because we beat Leicester away last year for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

How can a team go to pieces when one player leaves the field? I remember a time when our captain went to prison and we still won the league

And we were docked two points for a brawl at Old trafford that season.
    And won the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Getting away from all the managerial debate, there should be nobody from the 1st team squad anywhere near Mondays game ( except maybe Walcott as that's his level)
    Especially with Liverpool have such a long break between games,

Play coq and Ox as punishment for being shyte in Munich

I'm now in two minds about going to London at all. I've the ticket and flight paid for but the time off work... urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Getting away from all the managerial debate, there should be nobody from the 1st team squad anywhere near Mondays game ( except maybe Walcott as that's his level)

we dont play until liverpool anyway

• Advertisement

Wenger is Costner and I'm Whitney

We play Sutton on Monday in the FA Cup

The trophy that no one has won more times than Wenger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I couldn't disagree more. These lads aren't tired. They're mentally weak. A game against Sutton is exactly what they need to make them aware of just how handy they have it.

read the previous quote i was referring to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm now in two minds about going to London at all. I've the ticket and flight paid for but the time off work... urgh

Despite current form, I'd go in a heartbeat...its a 'love' thing :D

Wenger says he will be managing next season "Here or somewhere else".

Pretty big deal for him to openly state that he may not be manager of Arsenal next season. He also states that he will make his mind up in March or April.

read the previous quote i was referring to

Have that person blocked :)

Quazzie wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. These lads aren't tired. They're mentally weak. A game against Sutton is exactly what they need to make them aware of just how handy they have it.

And then when someone picks up an injury the circus will start again,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/gunnerblog/status/832523454515650560

Ah, there we go. Hopes dashed. Love for Arsenal receding.

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gunnerblog/status/832523454515650560

Ah, there we go. Hopes dashed. Love for Arsenal receding.

well it's the biggest hint he's offered that he's leaving at all

Things are bad at at the moment but Mark Schwarzer reckoned the biggest chance of a cup shock this weekend would come at Sutton ! Fool!

Have that person blocked :)

Fair enough !!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger going to attempt to stay for 1 more year. Rumor in London yesterday.
    You've heard it from Tayto.
    He can feck off but I reckon he'll get it.
    The fans won't like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Taking emotion (mainly anger) out of the equation... I'm not sure Wenger going this summer would be all that beneficial. Sanchez is off, maybe Ozil too. Take those two out of the side and is there anyone else who would get near the Chelsea/Man City lineups? Koscielny, that's about it. It's clear that a decent portion of the first team squad needs clearing out, a lot of change is needed. To change the 20+ year manager on top of that? I think him sticking around another season might smooth the transition a little.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with how the club has performed for the past ten years, but I think this is the possibly the worst time in recent memory for Wenger to step down (yes that is largely the fault of Wenger himself, he should have left a couple of years back at least on somewhat of a high). Don't get me wrong, I won't be delighted with seeing him in charge next year, but maybe would accept there is some reason to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Taking emotion (mainly anger) out of the equation... I'm not sure Wenger going this summer would be all that beneficial. Sanchez is off, maybe Ozil too. Take those two out of the side and is there anyone else who would get near the Chelsea/Man City lineups? Koscielny, that's about it. It's clear that a decent portion of the first team squad needs clearing out, a lot of change is needed. To change the 20+ year manager on top of that? I think him sticking around another season might smooth the transition a little.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with how the club has performed for the past ten years, but I think this is the possibly the worst time in recent memory for Wenger to step down (yes that is largely the fault of Wenger himself, he should have left a couple of years back at least on somewhat of a high). Don't get me wrong, I won't be delighted with seeing him in charge next year, but maybe would accept there is some reason to it.

You could argue that, in fact I have done over the last few years, but now I accept the truth: There's never going to be a good time for Wenger to leave, but his presence isn't going to make Arsenal better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So we lost Sanchez and Ozil. And they have to be replaced. Who is going to come into this side and play for Wenger when they know he is in his last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

greendom wrote: »
    well it's the biggest hint he's offered that he's leaving at all

That was my take on it too. Its almost great news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I wonder if Sanchez is affected by the court case ? I know he pleaded guilty to avoid trial, but is still in court today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I would make them all play against Sutton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think people expecting Arsene to come out today and announce flat out that he was leaving at the end of the season, were being unrealistic. Though the fact that he even mentioned the possibility that there was a chance he wouldn't be there next season felt very significant in and of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

ronjo wrote: »

Yeah was thinking that myself, as none of them deserve a match off. Might bring them down to earth playing a non league side away. Pity it's Astro turf and not a boggy pitch though.

I actually fear Liverpool away next week as well, there high press after having two weeks off is going to cause us serious problems.

Yeah was thinking that myself, as none of them deserve a match off. Might bring them down to earth playing a non league side away. Pity it's Astro turf and not a boggy pitch though.

I actually fear Liverpool away next week as well, there high press after having two weeks off is going to cause us serious problems.

Yeah, if only we were a team that could sit back and defend....they wouldn't have a clue what to do against us then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

So long as the club is comfortable with money, and it is, nothing much will happen. Wenger may even be asked by the board to stay on. He is like Enda, he just can't take the hint, thanks, grand job, be seeing ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

ronjo wrote: »

Haha :D

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    So long as the club is comfortable with money, and it is, nothing much will happen. Wenger may even be asked by the board to stay on. He is like Enda, he just can't take the hint, thanks, grand job, be seeing ya.

Like Enda, he has achieved what no other of there leaders has though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

It just wasnt worth debating with the Wenger apologists , so I dropped off the thread for the season. What was the point nothing was going to change under Wenger. 
    But for most of the season the thread still provided entertainment if only for reading, but now even reading the thread has become a repititious chore. 
    The mid-week debacle has even destroyed that.
    How ANYONE can stil ldefend Wenger after a 5-1 pasting by a very average and aging Bayern.
    Lifes too short to even read that drivel. 

And besides the thread has more or less turned into a one man monologue, complete with updates on their travel and what they did on their holidays.
    Threads become as ridiculous as Wengers position as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

And besides the thread has more or less turned into a one man monologue, complete with updates on their travel and what they did on their holidays.

:D

I enjoyed the Munich trip tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Like Enda, he has achieved what no other of there leaders has though

Let's stop this now.

Wenger is nothing like Enda f*cking Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Threads become as ridiculous as Wengers position as manager.

Ignore list my friend, it works wonders :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement