Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Ignore list my friend, it works wonders :)

Not when people constantly quote his posts ;)

It just wasnt worth debating with the Wenger apologists , so I dropped off the thread for the season. What was the point nothing was going to change under Wenger. 
    But for most of the season the thread still provided entertainment if only for reading, but now even reading the thread has become a repititious chore. 
    The mid-week debacle has even destroyed that.
    How ANYONE can stil ldefend Wenger after a 5-1 pasting by a very average and aging Bayern.
    Lifes too short to even read that drivel. 

And besides the thread has more or less turned into a one man monologue, complete with updates on their travel and what they did on their holidays.
    Threads become as ridiculous as Wengers position as manager.

So now you're not gonna post in this thread any more, and you're not going to read it?

More chance of Wenger resigning :pac:

Unfortunately, when you label people who don't want Wenger sacked immediately as 'Wenger Apologists' or 'Wengerites' you come across as pretty pathetic (in my humble opinion, of course ;)). This place would be pretty boring if everybody had the same opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mansize wrote: »
    Like Enda, he has achieved what no other of there leaders has though
    :pac: What about the last 12 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Like Enda, he has achieved what no other of there leaders has though

Let's stop this now.

Wenger is nothing like Enda f*cking Kenny.

I withdraw that remark

GG a bit like Bertie, shady, financial irregularities but the people love him anyway 😂

To describe Bayern as average makes me wonder do people understand the word, or just tending tword hyperbole.

But to give the poster the benefit of the doubt I'll ask, how are FC Bayern average??? 🀔🀔🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

To describe Bayern as average makes me wonder do people understand the word, or just tending tword hyperbole.

But to give the poster the benefit of the doubt I'll ask, how are FC Bayern average??? 🀔🀔🀔

Just no one misses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Bayern are far from average, but yet again we made the opposition look like Brazil 1970. They barely had to break sweat due to how utterly pathetic and shambolic we are.

Nobody better quote this, Lest it offend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was trying to look back on the other night without the emotion and was wondering do people think that the lineup was wrong?

Now I know it's impossible to say what would have happened if Kos hadn't got injured, but was the team that was sent out there the wrong one?

Personally, I'm not sure. I think if Coq had played to the best of his ability he might have been ok, but I think Elneny might have been the better choice.

Since Perez was injured, I think it is a coin flip between Ox and Walcott, with Ox possibly shading it with recent performances.

After that, I think the subs were wrong. Welbeck or Giroud should have come on instead of Walcott and possibly the other of the two after that.

However, given the players that were available, was the team selection the problem or was it down to the players themselves?

• Advertisement

Hate saying it but Giroud up front would've been better. We had no "out" whatsoever for the first half hour or so. Iwobi isn't very good and him being a starter in such a game is damning. Our midfield is pretty bare as well, even with the injured players.

Hate saying it but Giroud up front would've been better. We had no "out" whatsoever for the first half hour or so. Iwobi isn't very good and him being a starter in such a game is damning. Our midfield is pretty bare as well, even with the injured players.

No game plan either. Players didn't know what to do when Kos went off.
    Poor preparation by Wenger again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

CatInABox wrote: »
    You could argue that, in fact I have done over the last few years, but now I accept the truth: There's never going to be a good time for Wenger to leave, but his presence isn't going to make Arsenal better.

I don't think there's ever have been a good time for him to leave, but I definitely think the end of this season will be an arguably far worse time for a new manager to come in than 2015 or 2016.

The club's two best players are running their contracts down are are likely to go. Fans are frustrated that Arsenal can't push on and win a significant trophy, but the squad will surely be further than ever from achieving that this summer. Dealing with the loss of those two players will be very difficult and I think consolidating their position and another season of the 4th place, while never threatening the top positions, will actually be a good achievement for whoever is managing the team next season.

I don't think anyone in the short term is going to make Arsenal better. If those two players were replaced, and the club kept competing at the same level, it would be a far healthier position for someone to inherit the club in 2018 to build on. I agree it could be difficult to convince players of the required calibre to come in though if Wenger is staying on for just one more season, so if that were a genuine issue forget the above.

I'm not saying this will happen, or if I think it actually should, I mean I'm trying to be careful about how I word this as I know I'll have a tonne of people screaming at me for not advocating his sacking tomorrow. Just think very carefully about what is a realistic goal for next season.

No game plan either. Players didn't know what to do when Kos went off.
    Poor preparation by Wenger again.

Kos going off was a like for like replacement. There was no shuffling of the squad. Us conceding when he went off was purely coincidental. He could have possibly had an influence in 1 of the 4 goals they scored when he was off, and I don't think our general gameplan revolves around him.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Kos going off was a like for like replacement. There was no shuffling of the squad. Us conceding when he went off was purely coincidental. He could have possibly had an influence in 1 of the 4 goals they scored when he was off, and I don't think our general gameplan revolves around him.

They fell apart then. Heads went down.
    Nothing from the sideline at all to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I don't really like criticising individual players, but Iwobi is playing way too much football this season for my liking. He's potentially going to be a very good player, but i don't like the way he is almost now a guaranteed starter, especially in the big games.

Yeah our midfield has basically been rubbish for the majority of the season now, Cazorla is sorely missed and unfortunately we can't rely on him anymore. We will need to strengthen in that area again for next season. Coquelin has been abysmal all season and simply isn't good enough anymore. The instructions that appear to be given to him by the manager aren't doing him any favours either.

• Advertisement

They fell apart then. Heads went down.
    Nothing from the sideline at all to help.

It's just an injury lads, nobody died....KEEP YOUR HEADS IN THE GAME!! :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's just an injury lads, nobody died....KEEP YOUR HEADS IN THE GAME!! :D

The other lad's doppelganger :D

Yeah I don't really like criticising individual players, but Iwobi is playing way too much football this season for my liking. He's potentially going to be a very good player, but i don't like the way he is almost now a guaranteed starter, especially in the big games.

Yeah our midfield has basically been rubbish for the majority of the season now, Cazorla is sorely missed and unfortunately we can't rely on him anymore. We will need to strengthen in that area again for next season. Coquelin has been abysmal all season and simply isn't good enough anymore. The instructions that appear to be given to him by the manager aren't doing him any favours either.
    And Cazorla's already 32. Xhaka has done nothing, Elneny could be decent but needs a player beside him that we simply don't have, Coquelin is very poor and Ramsey just gives the ball away too much. It's really, reallly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I can't fault Iwobi, I think he has come on a lot since last season, would much rather him play wide with Alexis up top than Giroud being involved.

Coq is a disaster, there is only so much instruction he can get, he isn't playing the most difficult role, be strong in a tackle and pass the ball to a team mate, anyone, just keep possession. I still don't know what he was doing for Robben's goal, he showed Robben inside onto his left foot, it was like he didn't know Robben was left footed.

They are grown men, no wonder Özil is peed off!

• Advertisement

And Cazorla's already 32. Xhaka has done nothing, Elneny could be decent but needs a player beside him that we simply don't have, Coquelin is very poor and Ramsey just gives the ball away too much. It's really, reallly poor.

Ramsey is much more cautious than he was. I'd say his ball retention and pass completion stats for this year are pretty high. Really we're looking at a combination of two from Ramsey/Elneny/Xhaka. Who knows where Jack is going to fit in if he comes back, but we do miss someone who can actually run at defences with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't think there's ever have been a good time for him to leave, but I definitely think the end of this season will be an arguably far worse time for a new manager to come in than 2015 or 2016.

The club's two best players are running their contracts down are are likely to go. Fans are frustrated that Arsenal can't push on and win a significant trophy, but the squad will surely be further than ever from achieving that this summer. Dealing with the loss of those two players will be very difficult and I think consolidating their position and another season of the 4th place, while never threatening the top positions, will actually be a good achievement for whoever is managing the team next season.

I don't think anyone in the short term is going to make Arsenal better. If those two players were replaced, and the club kept competing at the same level, it would be a far healthier position for someone to inherit the club in 2018 to build on. I agree it could be difficult to convince players of the required calibre to come in though if Wenger is staying on for just one more season, so if that were a genuine issue forget the above.

I'm not saying this will happen, or if I think it actually should, I mean I'm trying to be careful about how I word this as I know I'll have a tonne of people screaming at me for not advocating his sacking tomorrow. Just think very carefully about what is a realistic goal for next season.
    I see what you're saying, but I really don't see how after they leave we are going to be any better with Wenger than without. He is tactically inept in today's game so I can only see how a competent manager would be leave us in a better position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I blame the players to be honest he has stuck by walcott stuck by chamberlain gibbs ramsey wilshere and so on put his faith in them and they have all let him down season after season.
    He is a relentlessly loyal to his players. Clubs owners the stadium repayments have all hampered him moneywise.
    Tactically he has been lacking a bit of late but thats mostly due to again his players not being good enough to play as he wants them to play letting him down.

I can't fault Iwobi, I think he has come on a lot since last season, would much rather him play wide with Alexis up top than Giroud being involved.

Coq is a disaster, there is only so much instruction he can get, he isn't playing the most difficult role, be strong in a tackle and pass the ball to a team mate, anyone, just keep possession. I still don't know what he was doing for Robben's goal, he showed Robben inside onto his left foot, it was like he didn't know Robben was left footed.

No game plan. No instruction on tactics.No watching videos of the opposition.
    Shocking.

No game plan. No instruction on tactics.No watching videos of the opposition.
    Shocking.

Imagine as a professional footballer you need to be reminded Robben's is left footed...

I'm sure everything happened as TL described, seems plausible

Imagine as a professional footballer you need to be reminded Robben's is left footed...

I'm sure everything happened as TL described, seems plausible

Thank you.
    The result and the performance also back it up.

Thank you.
    The result and the performance also back it up.

Yes. I imagine AW went- sure go out lads and give it your best

Yes. I imagine AW went- sure go out lads and give it your best
    I'd say the same. He hasn't a clue tactically, but most of us know that.

I'd say the same. He hasn't a clue tactically, but most of us know that.

You certainly have his number. On the ball. No arguing with those statements- they're completely plausible and without embellishment

6a00d8341c562c53ef0153933aa0a8970b-pi

• Advertisement

You certainly have his number. On the ball. No arguing with those statements- they're completely plausible and without embellishment
    Indeed. The results speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Can we stop using the recent FA Cup wins as a massive achievement for Wenger? In the past 4 years we've had Palace, Wigan, Hull and Villa in the finals. The competition isn't what it used to be, everyone knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

The only way out of this mess is to spend 300million in the summer. Lord jesus christ could be manager and he wouldnt win a thing with those players.

domrush wrote: »
    Can we stop using the recent FA Cup wins as a massive achievement for Wenger? In the past 4 years we've had Palace, Wigan, Hull and Villa in the finals. The competition isn't what it used to be, everyone knows it.

Leicester won the league- should we disregard that now too????

The only way out of this mess is to spend 300million in the summer. Lord jesus christ could be manager and he wouldnt win a thing with those players.

I was told Klopp would win the league with our players. I dont believe either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Can you not just clump multiple replies into one?

Regarding the players, yes he has been far too loyal to some of them. I wouldnt mind but it was clear some of them werent up to it and he stuck by them regardless. Viera was right, loyalty is his biggest weakness.
    Was that loyalty or too stubborn to admit he was wrong?

Well you've been insisting we can't use Leicester's league win to criticise Wenger. Which is it? Regardless that was an anomaly so I agree to an extent. However going further back we have Stoke, Pompey twice and ****ing Cardiff. Its not a big competition anymore, reflected in the finalists, the prize money and the Europa league place.

Well you've been insisting we can't use Leicester's league win to criticise Wenger. Which is it? Regardless that was an anomaly so I agree to an extent. However going further back we have Stoke, Pompey twice and ****ing Cardiff. Its not a big competition anymore, reflected in the finalists, the prize money and the Europa league place.

The year I was born West Ham won it!

It's the magic of the cup! But if pîssing all over it helps your narrative fire ahead

wonga77 wrote: »
    Can you not just clump multiple replies into one?

Regarding the players, yes he has been far too loyal to some of them. I wouldnt mind but it was clear some of them werent up to it and he stuck by them regardless. Viera was right, loyalty is his biggest weakness.
    Was that loyalty or too stubborn to admit he was wrong?

If I'm hidden not sure now it affects you tbf...

• Advertisement

Definitely not. We should remember that as the final nail in the coffin of Wenger's Arsenal career. That was the year we should've won it, but bottled it, just like we always have.

The year I was born West Ham won it!

It's the magic of the cup! But if pîssing all over it helps your narrative fire ahead

Alright mansize. Why don't you for once actually write out a couple of paragraphs outlining why you think Wenger should stay instead of these childish posts of 3 or 4 one sentence replies in a row.

So lay out a coherent reasoned argument for us all to hear. I'm sure if you did you'd have less people criticising you and putting you on their ignore list.

Alright mansize. Why don't you for once actually write out a couple of paragraphs outlining why you think Wenger should stay instead of these childish posts of 3 or 4 one sentence replies in a row.

So lay out a coherent reasoned argument for us all to hear. I'm sure if you did you'd have less people criticising you and putting you on their ignore list.

I couldn't give a fiddlers about peoples ignore lists. They still read the posts anyway.

I have numberated countless times why he should stay.

If people post a point I'm entitled to challenge it, especially if it's largely vacuous

Quazzie wrote: »
    Definitely not. We should remember that as the final nail in the coffin of Wenger's Arsenal career. That was the year we should've won it, but bottled it, just like we always have.

So by that logic we always should have won it, except we bottle it???

Very little credit to the league winners recently then, is it?

I couldn't give a fiddlers about peoples ignore lists. They still read the posts anyway.

I have numberated countless times why he should stay.

If people post a point I'm entitled to challenge it, especially if it's largely vacuous

Explain to me whats vacuous in saying the FA Cup is no longer a big achievement?

Explain to me whats vacuous in saying the FA Cup is no longer a big achievement?

It's the second trophy in English Football. If you can't see why that's a big achievement, I can't offer much help

• Advertisement

It's the second trophy in English Football. If you can't see why that's a big achievement, I can't offer much help

Says it all. Let's have another 12 years of fighting for CL places and winning the odd FA Cup. What could be better.

Man Utd, a club with big aspirations, got rid of their manager after winning it. Which shows its value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If I'm hidden not sure now it affects you tbf...

The ignore function on boards is pretty useless so I gave up on it, we're just over 1100 posts into a new thread and not far off 1 in every 4 is you, its fairly hard to ignore tbf

Replying to a few people in one post is also an option that most others avail of, not sure why its so difficult for you

Says it all. Let's have another 12 years of fighting for CL places and winning the odd FA Cup. What could be better.

Man Utd, a club with big aspirations, got rid of their manager after winning it. Which shows its value.

His contract was ended prior to winning it tbf. Man Und are a very successful club and finishing outside of UCL places was his downfall tbf. Wenger manager both!

His contract was ended prior to winning it tbf. Man Und are a very successful club and finishing outside of UCL places was his downfall tbf. Wenger manager both!

He was sacked, his contract didn't end

wonga77 wrote: »
    The ignore function on boards is pretty useless so I gave up on it, we're just over 1100 posts into a new thread and not far off 1 in every 4 is you, its fairly hard to ignore tbf

Replying to a few people in one post is also an option that most others avail of, not sure why its so difficult for you

I have no problem with ignore function myself. On mobile you cannot multquote. But don't upset yourself, just resist the temptation to read my posts

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement