Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Seems I'm the only one able to reply to it. I guess I'll just have to wait for a reply. Sorry for derailing the thread.

Do mention your slanderous posts also. I took screenshots of you need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

This is the worst thread on Boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Would you please stop derailing the thread.
    Somebody posed a question to get this thread back on track and within 2 posts your fcuking it up again.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Would you please stop derailing the thread.
    Somebody posed a question to get this thread back on track and within 2 posts your fcuking it up again.

I am entitled to a right of reply. Or do you not think that? He posted on this thread I'm very much entitled to reply. You don't have the authority to say who can and cannot post, that's back seat modding. Report it if u have an issue and let the mods advise. You are not a soccer mod

I never said you couldn't post,I asked would you please stop derailing the thread.
    Take your issue to pm or something.
    I'm asking for the good of the thread.
    I have reported your post and I will continue reporting until you change your despicable attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

In an attempt to get conversation back on track, are there any ex-Arsenal players ye would like to see take over from Wenger?

Off the top of my head there isn't really a standout character. Bergkamp springs to mind (Travelling issue aside)

I don't think any of our ex players would be suitable for important roles in the club.

But... I'd love to have a few of them back and on the training pitch to try impart a bit of knowledge and wisdom on the headless chickens in the squad.

In the end though the problem is Wenger. I couldn't see him allowing much input from anybody else. The likes of Bould is wasted as Wengers lackey and if the likes of a Pires or Petit were to be brought in they'd soon be relegated to just handing out bibs or arranging cones

Back at last from Munich via Frankfurt and Hahn, result aside the away day match day experience is something else and I made a few new Gooner mates for pints in London. Claude is sound tbf and the Gay FCB fans were great hosts as we belted out Lena's Satellite. Home match in the Emirates is next for me then Leicester, but an FA Cup win Monday will see that postponed

We will follow ARSENAL, over land and sea! (And Leicester!)

sonic85 wrote: »
    I don't think any of our ex players would be suitable for important roles in the club.

But... I'd love to have a few of them back and on the training pitch to try impart a bit of knowledge and wisdom on the headless chickens in the squad.

In the end though the problem is Wenger. I couldn't see him allowing much input from anybody else. The likes of Bould is wasted as Wengers lackey and if the likes of a Pires or Petit were to be brought in they'd soon be relegated to just handing out bibs or arranging cones

Pires is currently a club ambassador

mansize wrote: »
    Pires is currently a club ambassador

Exactly,no influence on the squad.

Maybe he could work with Özil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The thing is theres no guarantee that a great player would make any impact as a manager. Bergkamp is an assistant manager at Ajax for a few seasons now, I wonder what kind of progress he has been making.
    Did Keown ever make any attempt at management? I always thought he would be a good guy to take charge of defence, although on saying that I also thought the same of Bould, not sure what impact he has made or what role he brings to the training ground either

wonga77 wrote: »
    The thing is theres no guarantee that a great player would make any impact as a manager. Bergkamp is an assistant manager at Ajax for a few seasons now, I wonder what kind of progress he has been making.
    Did Keown ever make any attempt at management? I always thought he would be a good guy to take charge of defence, although on saying that I also thought the same of Bould, not sure what impact he has made or what role he brings to the training ground either

Good players that become good managers are as rare as hen's teeth.

I don't think people who regularly appear as pundits on to work well as coaches as they have divided loyalties and players may dislike remarks made in the past.

Maybe he could work with Özil?

Why would he need to?
    Anyway Arsene won't let him near the squad hence he's an ambassador not in the coaching staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

This club ambassador stuff is just a load of bollocks - pretty much a meaningless role but it's nice that the likes of Bobby still has a link to the club. Some of these lads could offer so much more though.

Why would he need to?
    Anyway Arsene won't let him near the squad hence he's an ambassador not in the coaching staff.

Do you know that for definite? First Ive heard of it!

How is he with coaching badges etc?

Guardiola,Conte,Ancelloti great players and managers.
    I'm sure there is more but that wouldn't fit with the arguing of every point instead of having a harmless conversation about which ex players we would like as a future Arsenal manager.

Do you know that for definite? First Ive heard of it!

How is he with coaching badges etc?

Crazy Jens seems to believe the Arsene doesn't want strong characters coming back to help coach
    http://www.tnp.sg/sports/football/lehmann-wenger-doesnt-trust-ex-players-coaches

Crazy Jens seems to believe the Arsene doesn't want strong characters coming back to help coach
    http://www.tnp.sg/sports/football/lehmann-wenger-doesnt-trust-ex-players-coaches

I thought Viera turned Arsenal down in favour of city?

Viera and Pires yes. Henry was til he took the pundit role at sky
    He can't take them all. I wouldn't like Jens personally, wasn't bob Wilson involved with the keepers?

Haha could you imagine if we had Jens as goalkeeping coach! He probably would have killed Chesney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

We need a clean sweep with a new broom. Problem number 1 is getting a new head coach. An Ancellotti type please, then we've also to employ about 4 others to do all the jobs Wenger did! I wouldn't like any of the former greats as number 1, that rarely works out well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Could well believe that, doubt he wants to deal with other well known characters in the management team . I was very very surprised to see Bould get assistant coach.

I think Henry would have something to contribute despite his average performance as a pundit. Viera seems to be doing well in America. Bergkamp has a superb footballing mind, should be in charge of the academy IMO, we can't seem to produce quality in comparison to other clubs (Iwobi and Bellerin the only recent ones I can think of?). I'd take Lens as sports psychologist :pac:

domrush wrote: »
    Could well believe that, doubt he wants to deal with other well known characters in the management team . I was very very surprised to see Bould get assistant coach.

I think Henry would have something to contribute despite his average performance as a pundit. Viera seems to be doing well in America. Bergkamp has a superb footballing mind, should be in charge of the academy IMO, we can't seem to produce quality in comparison to other clubs (Iwobi and Bellerin the only recent ones I can think of?). I'd take Lens as sports psychologist :pac:

I just can't understand why Wenger doesn't want all these lads input,it seemed to work for Ferguson and Utd,plenty of his ex players have become decent coaches and managers.

Guardiola,Conte,Ancelloti great players and managers.
    I'm sure there is more but that wouldn't fit with the arguing of every point instead of having a harmless conversation about which ex players we would like as a future Arsenal manager.

Dalglish, Keegan, Robson, Simeone,Mancini, De boer off the top of my head. Fergie was a star in Scotland too. In fact Klopp, Wenger and Mourinho are the managers at the top level I can think that didn't have quality footballing careers.

I just can't understand why Wenger doesn't want all these lads input,it seemed to work for Ferguson and Utd,plenty of his ex players have become decent coaches and managers.

Excuse the posting twice in a row, missed this.

Fergie ruled with an iron fist and his success meant his players have a huge amount of respect for him (genuinely like a father to many of them as cringe as that is to write), have any ex-players bar Keane substantially cristicised him? (Beckham's handbags aside)

I'm sure mansize will consider this a personal attack on Wenger but I think Wenger might feel undermined with well known explayers in a prominent role.

Keegan wasn't a WC manager tbf

Fergie ruled with an iron fist and his success meant his players have a huge amount of respect for him (genuinely like a father to many of them as cringe as that is to write), have any ex-players bar Keane substantially cristicised him? (Beckham's handbags aside)

I'm sure mansize will consider this a personal attack on Wenger but I think Wenger might feel undermined with well known explayers in a prominent role.

That's a fair point but how many of Fergie's team blossomed as manager?
    Bruce probably best. And Hughes but neither setting the world alight

Ince, Keane, Neville all failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Didn't Jaap Stam have a go too?

That's a fair point but how many of Fergie's team blossomed as manager?
    Bruce probably best.

Ince, Keane, Neville all failed.

Wouldn't write off Neville in particular yet, or Keane possibly

Laurent Blanc has done alright, I know he wasnt at Utd for long but still a player that played under Fergie

• Advertisement

Wouldn't write off Neville in particular yet, or Keane possibly

No, but not successful as yet

How many ex Arsenal players have become as good managers as the likes of Bruce and Hughes....Remi Garde??? Lol

This popped up on my twitter feed today

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/832721304088252417

Id love to have a player like him back at the club

How many ex Arsenal players have become as good managers as the likes of Bruce and Hughes....Remi Garde??? Lol

They seem to prefer punditry

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I've seen a lot of reporting in connection with this thread over the past few weeks, and indeed months. Unfortunately one poster seems to be at the centre of all the disquiet around here and we've now had a Help Desk thread started.

In light of all the issues I will discuss the position with local mods and CMods. In the meantime, to avoid further escalation of issues and hopefully to bring a bit more civility to this thread, mansize do not post again in this thread pending conclusion of our review.

If anyone has any questions please PM me - do not discuss moderation and this note in-thread.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,511 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

...anyway.

I feel like Wenger doesnt want former players who are of strong character at the club for very obvious reasons. He rules the roost and doesn't want any competition.

• Advertisement

...anyway.

I feel like Wenger doesnt want former players who are of strong character at the club for very obvious reasons. He rules the roost and doesn't want any competition.

Agreed. In fairness I think Henry did turn down some kind of role to take the big money at sky though? Bergkamp would be so perfectly suited to the academy, not sure if anyone has read his biography "Stillness and Speed" but he puts down a lot of his success and of dutch success in the 90s and early 2000s to the youth system (particularly at Ajax). The Germans copied and expanded on the dutch system, reaping the awards now.

wonga77 wrote: »
    This popped up on my twitter feed today

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/832721304088252417

Id love to have a player like him back at the club

Do you remember the fanzone commentary thing on Sky years ago with the lad of soccer am,Chelsea supporter,
    It's only Ray Parlour then he goes and scores a cracker in the final I think it was.
    The legend Romford Pele.

That Bergkamp book is a great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just finished watching the Gary Neville v Arsenal Fan TV interview. They completely blew their opportunity, getting totally fixated on the fact that he called one fan an idiot and ended up spending 90% of the time going back over and over again and again on this one subject.

Jesus: a pure walk in the park for Neville; he'll never have an easier half hour. Though I will give DT some credit for being the only one capable of asking some proper questions and actually stringing a coherent sentence or two together.

Agreed. In fairness I think Henry did turn down some kind of role to take the big money at sky though? Bergkamp would be so perfectly suited to the academy, not sure if anyone has read his biography "Stillness and Speed" but he puts down a lot of his success and of dutch success in the 90s and early 2000s to the youth system (particularly at Ajax). The Germans copied and expanded on the dutch system, reaping the awards now.

I just think the thing is that he obviously doesn't have anyone within the club to tell him that his team selection is off or his tactics are prehistoric...Because it's just the same game over and over again...sends the team out the same every week and see what happens. There's nobody pushing him. The board are the only ones who CAN push him but shur they're happy out finishing 4th every year.

The whole thing is rotten.

Fergie always rotated his no.2 and he had some great ones down through the years. Arsenes afraid of someone coming in who's better than him or someone he has to answer to. 20 years of unrivalled power will do that to someone.

I just think the thing is that he obviously doesn't have anyone within the club to tell him that his team selection is off or his tactics are prehistoric...Because it's just the same game over and over again...sends the team out the same every week and see what happens. There's nobody pushing him. The board are the only ones who CAN push him but shur they're happy out finishing 4th every year.

The whole thing is rotten.

Fergie always rotated his no.2 and he had some great ones down through the years. Arsenes afraid of someone coming in who's better than him or someone he has to answer to. 20 years of unrivalled power will do that to someone.

Aye, as much as I respect Pat Rice I always felt he was a yes-man to Wenger in a lot of ways. For all his Steve Bould's toughness on the pitch none of it seems to have transferred to his management. The thing about great assistant managers is they tend to go on to become managers themselves I suppose.

I do have a huge amount of respect for Wenger, not only for his achievements but also for his class (bar blaming refs a lot of time) but I think the dividing line between club and manager has become blurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The lad who does Arseblog was on secondcaptains today and gave some great insight into the board and Wenger. To be honest it sounds pretty unhealthy, Wenger is basically the sporting director, director of football manager and general manager all rolled in to one. The lads compared reasonably well with the Liverpool set up when Benitez left.

Basically no football men(people used to hiring/firing manager and setting up structures) with any experience at the club which is how the ended up with Hodgson and then Kenny. If Wenger does leave or get sacked a lot of things need to change very quickly. You could even say the same thing happened at United after Fergie, Moyes and Woodward came in together and the entire coaching staff changed overnight.

I think he needs to go but they need a very solid plan in place

Agree 100%

Realistically if nobody knows whether he's staying or going at the end of the season is 3 months enough time to put in a sporting director, manager, coaching staff and new players...May as well leave him there for another year.

He needs to announce when he's going in advance....Well in advance. And I know that's looking increasingly unlikely after his comments this morning.

Meh.

Agree 100%

Realistically if nobody knows whether he's staying or going at the end of the season is 3 months enough time to put in a sporting director, manager, coaching staff and new players...May as well leave him there for another year.

He needs to announce when he's going in advance....Well in advance. And I know that's looking increasingly unlikely after his comments this morning.

Meh.

Let the new manager choose his staff and players, clear out some of the dross and let him use the huge amount Lord Harris claims is available. Sporting director is a big role these days alright, if only David Dein was ten years younger.

• Arghus wrote: »
    Just finished watching the Gary Neville v Arsenal Fan TV interview. They completely blew their opportunity, getting totally fixated on the fact that he called one fan an idiot and ended up spending 90% of the time going back over and over again and again on this one subject.

Jesus: a pure walk in the park for Neville; he'll never have an easier half hour. Though I will give DT some credit for being the only one capable of asking some proper questions and actually stringing a coherent sentence or two together.
    Gas that I'm a Utd fan and Arsenal fan TV is a great watch regardless.
    That guy DT did well to be fair to him and I agree, he shared his opinions in a clear and concise manner.
    I doubt it's easy for those guys to stay objective, but they all still held a good manner towards Gary tbf. Fair play to Neville too for going on the fan show.
    That video BTW has some amount of views. It's fantastic news for the presenter guy that owns the YouTube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I could listen to Arsenal fans talk about the club all day long, love the Arseblog etc, and most of the aftv chaps seem passionate about it, but the 'cultural' differences between me and the fella who does the whole 'blud' thing makes my teeth itch. Can't abide it.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say, we're all in agreement it's time for radical change. I include Arsene and Stan at the top of that list. It's probably fair to say that we have a lot of talent in the club, but it will need an experienced and respected manager to put it together.

Who are the attainable lads out there? Jorgi Lowe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is there any argument to be made that George Graham was in fact a more successful Arsenal manager
    Yes there was the bungs and scandal but for results alone.

George Graham 1986-1995
    2 League Titles
    1 European Cup Winners Cup
    1 FA Cup
    2 League Cups

Arsene Wenger 1996-present
    3 League Titles
    6 FA Cups

Wenger changed the culture, had 2 doubles plus the invincibles but Graham never went more than one season without a trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It was easier in that era. There was less money. Instead of having one rival, now you have 6. Wenger has done the better job in my opinion. He should still go, but that doesn't change history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

George Graham nowhere near Wenger to be honest.

Different times so its hard to gauge. Herbert Chapman was also a revolutionary manager who acheived great success but long before our time. (Except for Tayto maybe :P:P:P)

Whenever he goes he will be remembered as probably the best manager we ever had but imagine the legendary status he would have if he had left 7 or 8 years ago! He would be worshiped like a god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Agree 100%

Meh.

To be honest, I think the main problem that will exist will be that Wenger will still be there when he does step down as manager. He will probably be director of football or something which will make it extremely difficult far any manager coming in. If the club is being proactive then they should look to appoint a director of football now or at the end of the season with one eye on the future.

A strong enough character might actually be able to challenge some of Wengers decisions in the transfer market. Some of the signings just haven't been good enough or in most years you guys just sign two or three squad players. Cech, Ozil and Sanchez are probably the only players signed in the last 3-4 years who are pretty much guaranteed starters.

Another thing that is a bit annoying to me is why Welbeck wasn't used the other night. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's unbelievable or anything but as a United fan, I always seen him as a big game player. Towards the end of Fergies reign Danny was the option for a lot of the big European cup ties. He is a fantastic outlet when your playing a team you know will dominate possession, he played some great games for us against Madrid etc. Wenger will play the same at Burnley and Bayern, he seems so inflexible tactically!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement