Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

duffman13 wrote: »
    The lad who does Arseblog was on secondcaptains today and gave some great insight into the board and Wenger. To be honest it sounds pretty unhealthy, Wenger is basically the sporting director, director of football manager and general manager all rolled in to one. The lads compared reasonably well with the Liverpool set up when Benitez left.

Basically no football men(people used to hiring/firing manager and setting up structures) with any experience at the club which is how the ended up with Hodgson and then Kenny. If Wenger does leave or get sacked a lot of things need to change very quickly. You could even say the same thing happened at United after Fergie, Moyes and Woodward came in together and the entire coaching staff changed overnight.

I think he needs to go but they need a very solid plan in place

Don't suppose you have a link to this interview? Seem to be getting referred to a subscription site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

domrush wrote: »
    Don't suppose you have a link to this interview? Seem to be getting referred to a subscription site.

Unfortunately secondcaptains is now behind a paywall, only the Monday shows are free and he was on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The lad who does Arseblog was on secondcaptains today and gave some great insight into the board and Wenger. To be honest it sounds pretty unhealthy, Wenger is basically the sporting director, director of football manager and general manager all rolled in to one. The lads compared reasonably well with the Liverpool set up when Benitez left.

Basically no football men(people used to hiring/firing manager and setting up structures) with any experience at the club which is how the ended up with Hodgson and then Kenny. If Wenger does leave or get sacked a lot of things need to change very quickly. You could even say the same thing happened at United after Fergie, Moyes and Woodward came in together and the entire coaching staff changed overnight.

I think he needs to go but they need a very solid plan in place

Yep, Blogs has mentioned many times that there are simply no structures in place for Wenger's successor. Its really worrying, we are going to have some (even more) lean years before we compete I reckon. Wenger is a dream for the board, his ilk just dont exist any more so we are going to see complete upheaval when he leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

To be honest, I think the main problem that will exist will be that Wenger will still be there when he does step down as manager. He will probably be director of football or something which will make it extremely difficult far any manager coming in. If the club is being proactive then they should look to appoint a director of football now or at the end of the season with one eye on the future.

I was assuming that would happen until his press conference yesterday.
    He did say though that he will be managing next season no matter what whether its at Arsenal or elsewhere.

A clean break is necessary alright.

Dont want to be like United under Moyes where the camera spent so much time showing Fergie in the stands usually with a scowl on his face. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

George Graham nowhere near Wenger to be honest.

I agree, however the longer Wenger remains the more Graham's record grows in stature!

ronjo wrote: »
    I was assuming that would happen until his press conference yesterday.
    He did say though that he will be managing next season no matter what whether its at Arsenal or elsewhere.

A clean break is necessary alright.

Dont want to be like United under Moyes where the camera spent so much time showing Fergie in the stands usually with a scowl on his face. :D

This is true, to be fair to Fergie the first time he went to the training ground was this season at Mourinhos invite. He's definitely stayed out of the running of the club etc, the club had that problem following Busby and Fergie was conscious of it so stepped away completely. I don't think Wenger has the restraint to step away into an ambassador role.

Also regarding his press conference, if he says he's managing next year then that will be at Arsenal, he won't step or be forced out of the club

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

To be honest, I think the main problem that will exist will be that Wenger will still be there when he does step down as manager. He will probably be director of football or something which will make it extremely difficult far any manager coming in. If the club is being proactive then they should look to appoint a director of football now or at the end of the season with one eye on the future.

A strong enough character might actually be able to challenge some of Wengers decisions in the transfer market. Some of the signings just haven't been good enough or in most years you guys just sign two or three squad players. Cech, Ozil and Sanchez are probably the only players signed in the last 3-4 years who are pretty much guaranteed starters.

Another thing that is a bit annoying to me is why Welbeck wasn't used the other night. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's unbelievable or anything but as a United fan, I always seen him as a big game player. Towards the end of Fergies reign Danny was the option for a lot of the big European cup ties. He is a fantastic outlet when your playing a team you know will dominate possession, he played some great games for us against Madrid etc. Wenger will play the same at Burnley and Bayern, he seems so inflexible tactically!

Don't think he'll move upstairs straight away, said himself he'll be managing next season even if he steps down at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Don't think he'll move upstairs straight away, said himself he'll be managing next season even if he steps down at Arsenal.

The rumour is that he will be given 1 more season.
    I disagree with this but I can see how it might be acceptable to all parties i.e. Wenger, the Board and the fans. The fans will then know it's his last season and they can see a finality which might stop any protests from those who who want him out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The rumour is that he will be given 1 more season.
    I disagree with this but I can see how it might be acceptable to all parties i.e. Wenger, the Board and the fans. The fans will then know it's his last season and they can see a finality which might stop any protests from those who who want him out now.

If this happens for me it proves we are a commercial club. I just see that being a disaster, for players no clarity, for fans no positive ambition, for Wenger too self centerd and for the club guaranteed top 4 and more money

Let him have his send off from now to end of season by announcing.

I'd be more pissed with 1 year than I would if we gave him 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Soups123 wrote: »
    If this happens for me it proves we are a commercial club. I just see that being a disaster, for players no clarity, for fans no positive ambition, for Wenger too self centerd and for the club guaranteed top 4 and more money

It's Stan Kroenke, with him as owner this is all that's required. He doesn't care what the fans think. This club has so much more potential than is showing at the moment. It's the biggest club in London but is sitting back while clubs like Chelsea and Man City bully them over transfers. It's about time that Arsenal acted like a big club and use the resources it has and starts putting pressure on the manager and players to push for more than a champions league spot.

Giving him a send off from now until the end of the season could be viewed as self centred, and I doubt he'd want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Basil3 wrote: »
    Giving him a send off from now until the end of the season could be viewed as self centred, and I doubt he'd want that.

He might not want it but the man deserves the best send off we can give him,the worst part of this whole sorry saga is he deserves to leave like the legend he is and not bow out in acrimonious circumstances.
    I'd still much rather he stayed and turned things around BUT I believe he doesn't have it in him anymore and for that reason I want a change.

Basil3 wrote: »

Possibly but I think fans want this. He has done so much for the club I'd hate to be annoyed with him until the end! I can't handle one more year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

na i want him gone. his not good anymore and deserves to go now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's Stan Kroenke, with him as owner this is all that's required. He doesn't care what the fans think. This club has so much more potential than is showing at the moment. It's the biggest club in London but is sitting back while clubs like Chelsea and Man City bully them over transfers. It's about time that Arsenal acted like a big club and use the resources it has and starts putting pressure on the manager and players to push for more than a champions league spot.

This is the problem.

We can change the manager all we want, but anyone who thinks this spanner is going to back the manager to compete for the title is fooling themselves.

• Advertisement

na i want him gone. his not good anymore and deserves to go now

In my opinion he's only interested in money.
    I don't know what he does with the team on the training ground.
    He can't seem to motivate players either and he is tactically outsmarted in the big games.
    He should quit now and spare us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He can't seem to motivate players either and he is tactically outsmarted in the big games.

I really don't think money is primary motivation. If so he would have left years and years ago.

To me Arsenal is in his blood and he can't bear the thought of not being in charge anymore. That time is rapidly approaching.

greendom wrote: »
    I really don't think money is primary motivation. If so he would have left years and years ago.

To me Arsenal is in his blood and he can't bear the thought of not being in charge anymore. That time is rapidly approaching.

I agree he is not motivated by money nor is he just thinking of making he club money I think he thought he was genuinely into something when he won the FA cups and got the likes of Sanchez and Ozil in

I think he could be a huge success with another club I think he has just ran out of ideas and drive at Arsenal

From looking at Wenger I think it's more him having nothing else to do in life when he does retire. The club is his life, he said it around when Fergie retired and was asked was he going to retire.
    Arsene wrote:
    "He is luckier than me because he likes horses, he likes golf, so he can certainly have an interesting life again. But of course when you have been such a long time involved in every [game] … our job is always looking forward to the next game, so you are always motivated by that. At the start it is difficult to miss that."

He basically has nothing to do with himself when he retires and now he's divorced as well I think he will keep managing as long as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Does it matter who the next manager is if he is not given transfer funds or the salary cap increased we cant compete for top players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

To be honest, I think the main problem that will exist will be that Wenger will still be there when he does step down as manager. He will probably be director of football or something which will make it extremely difficult far any manager coming in.

Wenger being director of football over someone else is probably the least likely outcome, he's unlikely to relinquish control of the match day squad and day to day training activities.

Ironically though, I think it could be the best possible solution for a transition period. When Arsenal play well, they're on a completely different level to the opposition in the league. And given the Academy set up and the amount of players brought through you can be sure that side of things wouldn't go neglected...

The obvious gap is in the match day preparation, the mentality of the side (moving the ball too slow) and the absense of any attention to detail in how the players are set up (Robben cutting inside at will being the perfect example).

So if you were to pair him with a coach from the Bielsa mould (i.e. someone who favours a high intensity, disciplined pressing game)... could be the ideal way to transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Breaking news going across the bottom of ssn saying, arsene Wenger says he could manage for four more years or longer and his preference is at arsenal!!!

Wtf??? Is he gone a bit mental!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Good for him he's not gonna be influenced by x players with no career besides giving off soundbites. He's the boss up to him when he leaves

Breaking news going across the bottom of ssn saying, arsene Wenger says he could manage for four more years or longer and his preference is at arsenal!!!

Wtf??? Is he gone a bit mental!!

Do you know what? I had felt sorry for Wenger after Wednesday night until he came out with this egotistical self absorbed patronising nonsense yesterday
    "Even if I go Arsenal won't win every single game in future," he said. "You have to accept that, as much as it hurts to lose games.

"If you look at the history of Arsenal, they had less games in the Champions League than I'd had in my career already [when I arrived]. Since, they have done a few.

"It's not like before I arrived, Arsenal has won five times the European Cup. They have never won it, they have played maybe 10 games in the whole history of the club. We have to take into perspective some demands.

"As long as you don't win absolutely everything there's always something wrong. You have to accept that. On the other hand in the last 20 years only three clubs managed to play every year in the Champions League - Arsenal, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. If not everything is perfect, not all is wrong."

So much wrong with Wenger's sentiments.
    We are smart enough to realise that you cant win all the games but you can at least make a better fist of trying to.

And we are well aware we didnt win the European cup five times before your arrival....and we still haven't won it.

We had less games than Wenger had in Europe due to a number of reasons. Firstly, there was a 5 year ban on English clubs from entering European competitions after Heysel which banned Arsenal from entering the competition in 1989/90.

In 1991/92, English clubs were well off the pace of what was required in Europe due to the long ban and Benfica had contested a final only 2 years previous against Milan so were far more experienced.

There was no European cup when Tom Whitaker, George Allison and Herbert Chapman won their titles for us. Bertie Mee's side were unlucky against a mighty Ajax side who won the first of their 3 in a row and probably the most important reason of all is that you had to be first in the league in order to qualify for the European cup prior to 95/96. From then on, 2 or more teams from the one association were allowed in. Wenger has qualified for the champions league as often in 3rd or 4th then he has in 1st or 2nd

Fair to say while Wengers first decade was terrific, Arsene Wenger declined as did football in general from 2006 onwards.

Champions league football is not worth a jot if you arent intending on being competitive. We get a soft enough group but year on year we capitulate. We have now spent 145-150m on players and are as shíte as we were when we were only able to recruit the likes of Chamakh, Gervinho, and Squillachi.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Good for him he's not gonna be influenced by x players with no career besides giving off soundbites. He's the boss up to him when he leaves

Bull crap. he's done. he should think of the fans and walk away.

liam7831 wrote: »

The club does not start and end with Arsene Wenger despite what some people think. He's going to alienate a lot of his own supporters with this talk of 4 more years. I would think a lot of Arsene's supporters are in favour of a 1-2 year transition period, not more of the same.

Don't know what you're referring to with players with no career besides giving off soundbites :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Hi lads.. Looking to go to an Arsenal match wirh my brother and godson, so I'm looking to get 3 tickets together for any Arsenal premiership match. Does anyone have any info on how I might be able to arrange this? If I become a red member, am I limited to 1 ticket or can I buy 3?

Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Hi lads.. Looking to go to an Arsenal match wirh my brother and godson, so I'm looking to get 3 tickets together for any Arsenal premiership match. Does anyone have any info on how I might be able to arrange this? If I become a red member, am I limited to 1 ticket or can I buy 3?

Thanks for any info.

Limited to 1 ticket per Membership, so you'd need to sign up all 3 people or find someone who is willing to lend you them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The club does not start and end with Arsene Wenger despite what some people think. He's going to alienate a lot of his own supporters with this talk of 4 more years. I would think a lot of Arsene's supporters are in favour of a 1-2 year transition period, not more of the same.

Don't know what you're referring to with players with no career besides giving off soundbites :confused:

At this stage I actually believe there needs to be a clean break immediately. Preferably he should resign and walk away (a very very slim possibility I know), otherwise the board needs to take action (again a very very slim possibility). The longer this festers on for the worse for Arsene as his legacy gets tainted more and more and the worse for the club. As I have said already we have a decent squad but Wenger cannot motivate them properly. A new young hungry manager could improve a number of characters in the squad and finally clear out those who only up their game around the time when they are renegotiating their contracts.

The mixed messages coming out are doing nothing but damaging morale within the club more and certainly alienating the fan base even more from the club. I am actually quite fearful about tomorrow nights game, anything less than a comprehensive victory against Sutton will just add petrol to a fire that is already out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Thanks for any info.

I reckon a lot of our matches will go on general sale and you should be able to pick up three tickets fairly handy. The only bad thing is, they won't go on general sale until a few days before the game, so booking flights etc could be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Thanks for any info.

I reckon a lot of our matches will go on general sale and you should be able to pick up three tickets fairly handy. The only bad thing is, they won't go on general sale until a few days before the game, so booking flights etc could be expensive.

Book flights and chance one of the twitter sites? One of my friends did that recently enough and ended up paying far less than he thought he would!

Whats the team tomorrow? Would like to see:

Ospina
    Bellerin Holding Mustafi Gibbs
    Maitlend Niles-- Ox ---Jeff
    Perez --Welbeck--iwobi

Also how's Joel Campbell been getting on does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Whats the team tomorrow? Would like to see:

Ospina
    Bellerin Holding Mustafi Gibbs
    Maitlend Niles-- Ox ---Jeff
    Perez --Welbeck--iwobi

Also how's Joel Campbell been getting on does anyone know?

No Welbeck tomorrow. Played 70 mins today for the U23s. Rationale bring that Sutton's artificial pitch would be too hard on his recently rehabilitated joints.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,683 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've been in discussion with mansize and he has agreed to adapt his posting style in a way that should hopefully minimise future problems. Hence he is now free to post again in this thread.

However in looking through this thread I am seeing many examples of posters taking things into their own hands and/or attacking the poster rather than the post. Indeed I think a number of regulars around here are very fortunate that further action has not been taken against them. I will be keeping my eye on this thread for a while, as well as reported posts, and will not hesitate in taking action if I see further evidence of inappropriate posting. Bottom line - if you have any issues with posts or posters report it and leave the mods to deal with it as they see fit

Please note this warning is equally relevant in other parts of the forum, including match threads.

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    No Welbeck tomorrow. Played 70 mins today for the U23s. Rationale bring that Sutton's artificial pitch would be too hard on his recently rehabilitated joints.

Makes perfect sense in fairness. One of the hardest things on reconstructed knees is artificial pitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Glad we're not risking Welbz against Sutton, I'd play the reserve team with Martinez in goals with a smattering of first team players.

It's a lose lose scenario so may as well not risk players in the run in!

There are lots of tickets floating around, Bayern Home being one there is loads of on twitter. If you go I'll see you there!
    If we win tomorrow our Leicester match will be postponed, I've a ticket for that match too

I know Gay Gooners have some of ye want me to see if they can be made available to non Gay Gooners pm me and I'll contact Angus

mansize wrote: »
    Glad we're not risking Welbz against Sutton, I'd play the reserve team with Martinez in goals with a smattering of first team players.

It's a lose lose scenario so may as well not risk players in the run in!

There are lots of tickets floating around, Bayern Home being one there is loads of on twitter. If you go I'll see you there!
    If we win tomorrow our Leicester match will be postponed, I've a ticket for that match too

I know Gay Gooners have some of ye want me to see if they can be made available to non Gay Gooners pm me and I'll contact Angus

What channel is arsenal game on tomorrow or is it on tv?

What channel is arsenal game on tomorrow or is it on tv?

BBC one tomorrow

I've decided to work late tomorrow night, and will miss the first half. Might be a good thing.

• Advertisement

BBC one tomorrow

Thanks mate:)

Wenger has some neck to even suggest that he'd like 4 more years at Arsenal. After 12 years of failure he's a bit brazen to say the least.

This should be his last year but I really believe he will get another year even though he doesn't deserve it. Specialists in failure should not be rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

With pressure on LE at Barca why not trade managers, AW to barca and LE to arsenal.....seems a perfect fit. We have a good relationship transfer wise so lets get it rolling.........

Ahhhh its good to dream.

Wenger has some neck to even suggest that he'd like 4 more years at Arsenal. After 12 years of failure he's a bit brazen to say the least.

This should be his last year but I really believe he will get another year even though he doesn't deserve it. Specialists in failure should not be rewarded.

The Wenger from 1996-2006 id say fair enough to four more years but the Wenger from 2006-2017 shouldnt get an extra second beyond our final game.
    Fair enough if he goes for a new challenge next season and it might do him the world of good tbh. Id wish him well if he does take another offer but even if he goes on to win all round him at his next adventure i think he has done all he can at Arsenal. He is beginning to damage us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Lincoln at home in the Cup if Sutton are beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Lincoln at home in the Cup if Sutton are beaten.

Theres another FA cup there to be won again this year, against Mourinho in the final, it would be the perfect sendoff for Wenger...

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Theres another FA cup there to be won again this year, against Mourinho in the final, it would be the perfect sendoff for Wenger...

Getting beat by him one last time would be befitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

He lost the last time they met at Wembley

3 FA cups in 4 years would be quite an achievement tbf.

Anyway! COYG

mansize wrote: »
    He lost the last time they met at Wembley

3 FA cups in 4 years would be quite an achievement tbf.

Anyway! COYG

Yep in the charity game.

I wouldn't be against an FA Cup and I like the day out but I've no real interest in it unless it's making a double

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yep in the charity game.

I wouldn't be against an FA Cup and I like the day out but I've no real interest in it unless it's making a double

Id agree to an extent but...
    we're not going to win the league and are out of the champions league, might as well try extend the FA cup wins to 13 and stay ahead of Utd. It would still be better than the season petering out to a dull finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd love us to win another Cup but I don't want it papering over the cracks either like the previous 2 did

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement