Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I want Wenger to step down at the end of the season but winning the FA Cup would be f*cking brilliant.

We would almost certainly have to beat two of Chelsea/United/Spurs/City to do it and I defy anyone who claims they wont be totally celebrating both semi final and final victories if that was to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Training or match? I'll catch the first 20 minutes and decide.

Score predictions?

2-0
    Iwobi
    Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wanting Wenger to leave and wanting to win the FA Cup are not mutually exclusive..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Basil3 wrote: »
    Thank god we have a match today. The same few posters saying the exact same things about why Wenger should leave is getting tedious.

Any guesses for the lineup?
    Wenger should leave because being losers is tedious!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Hi does anyone know how easy tickets would be to get tickets to the quarter final should we get there, would tickets likely go on general sale as it will be Lincon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Will most pubs show this ? sorry dumb question as I don't usually watch in a pub, but don't have BBC at home.

Andip wrote: »
    Will most pubs show this ? sorry dumb question as I don't usually watch in a pub, but don't have BBC at home.

You can ask, they might not realise it's on.

If you have a satellite and a set top box you should be able tube it in.

A good soarview box near the border would pick it up too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mansize wrote: »
    If Wenger is a loser, what are all others doing worse???
    I'm assuming you mean why? And they answer is the ones who done worse last year or in previous years were sacked. LvG - Sacked. Pellegrini - Sacked. Rodgers - Sacked. Mourinho - Sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thank god we have a match today. The same few posters saying the exact same things about why Wenger should leave is getting tedious.

Not nearly as tedious as the same posters saying the same things about why he should stay.

If we had a poll though what would peoples opinions be

A. Resign now
    B. Dont sign a new contract and leave at end of season.
    C. Sign a new contract.

I certainly want B and I would have thought the majority of fans would be of same opinion.

So what say you all?

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Not nearly as tedious as the same posters saying the same things about why he should stay.

There are not posters coming on and saying the exact same things every single day about why he should stay. Well, maybe one poster :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

ronjo wrote: »

A. Resign now
    C. Sign a new contract.

I certainly want B and I would have thought the majority of fans would be of same opinion.

So what say you all?

B.

With the Fa cup in his possession.

What new stuff can we say about Wenger? If we are being tedious it's because were forced to repeat ourselves due to the mind boggling reason people are defending the undefendable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gitzy16v wrote: »
    B.

With the Fa cup in his possession.

I'd go for B too. But if the ideal replacement (someone at the level of Allegri or Simeone) was not available until the following season, I wouldn't be too against him having another season rather than bringing someone in on an interim basis.

greendom wrote: »
    I'd go for B too. But if the ideal replacement (someone at the level of Allegri or Simeone) was not available until the following season, I wouldn't be too against him having another season rather than bringing someone in on an interim basis.

I couldnt argue with that,make the handover of management as smooth as possible.
    Fans would have to have confirmation he was leaving though,there would be uproar otherwise.

What new stuff can we say about Wenger? If we are being tedious it's because were forced to repeat ourselves due to the mind boggling reason people are defending the undefendable

It doesn't take anyone defending anything for you guys to go off on one. One of you will just decide to come on and say why he needs to leave, not in reply to anyone. This will then lead to multiple quote between yourselves saying the same thing you said yesterday.

I'm just suggesting maybe for a change we talk about the team (not that they're a bunch of imposters, or not brave enough, or whatever), such as who we might play tonight, who deserves a run out etc.

I noticed last week that Perez or his agent was hinting that he wants to leave in search of first team football. I hope he doesn't turn into another Campbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not for me. Out at end of season. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Not for me. Out at end of season. Enough is enough.

Really? You think that? You should have said so before.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Really? You think that? You should have said so before.
    I know. It must be like the crown of thorns for you.
    I see HE feels he's not getting enough respect from the fans either. He's delusional.

People want him to go, that's their opinion

Others want him to stay; that's not delusional, it's opinion based on the numerous reasons given.
    His consistent champions league record, his FA Cups and his EPL are not delusional. People's reasons for wanting him to go may be considered short sighted by others but to call opinions delusional is reductive and unfair

• Advertisement

People want him to go, that's their opinion

Others want him to stay; that's not delusional, it's opinion based on the numerous reasons given.
    His consistent champions league record, his FA Cups and his EPL are not delusional. People's reasons for wanting him to go may be considered short sighted by others but to call opinions delusional is reductive and unfair

First of all I called Wenger delusional, not posters.

His record in the last 12 years is very poor. Whats the point in getting top 4 and then exiting at the same stage every season? Sometimes in a humiliating fashion.
    Two FA Cups in the last 12 years does not buy him time in my book either.
    The teams he is sending out lack motivation, courage and often look like they did nothing in training. AND he's tactically hammered in the majority of the big games.
    He's well past his sell-by date.

Now explain why he should stay?

First of all I called Wenger delusional, not posters.

His record in the last 12 years is very poor. Whats the point in getting top 4 and then exiting at the same stage every season? Sometimes in a humiliating fashion.
    Two FA Cups in the last 12 years does not buy him time in my book either.
    The teams he is sending out lack motivation, courage and often look like they did nothing in training. AND he's tactically hammered in the majority of the big games.
    He's well past his sell-by date.

Now explain why he should stay?

He's done it at the highest level. No one here has, and he is the delusional one?
    He's earned the right. Cheap sound bites by pundits and soccer journalists are only there to move copy and get attention

As has been pointed out before we've numerated our reasons, they're not good enough for others but I can't make people believe something they don't.

He's done it at the highest level. No one here has, and he is the delusional one?
    He's earned the right. Cheap sound bites by pundits and soccer journalists are only there to move copy and get attention

The last 12 years were "the right" for many. Enough is enough.

Why do you think he should stay? Sentimental reasons? Hope? Loyalty?
    It can't be his recent performances anyway.
    Give us a thought-out reason please.

I've said my piece. As pointed out before I've given the reasons, they are not good enough for you, I accept that.

I've said my piece. As pointed out before I've given the reasons, they are not good enough for you, I accept that.

I didn't see them.
    Could you point out the post please as i'm interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

A. Resign now
    C. Sign a new contract.

So what say you all?

Probably B, but I'm fully expecting C to happen. Over the weekend Wenger has said that he can see himself managing for at least another four years and that his preference is that it's with Arsenal.
    The Arsenal board have already said that there is a contract on the table and that it's basically Wengers decision whether he stays or goes.
    That all adds up to him signing a new contract. I'd be astonished if he wasn't here next season. I'm resigned to this already, no matter what happens for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I noticed last week that Perez or his agent was hinting that he wants to leave in search of first team football. I hope he doesn't turn into another Campbell.

I can't fathom whats going on with Perez, the lad seems quality and can't get a look in to save his life. It's February now, I was hoping he'd be at least starting games by January but nothing. Is he available tonight?

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I can't fathom whats going on with Perez, the lad seems quality and can't get a look in to save his life. It's February now, I was hoping he'd be at least starting games by January but nothing. Is he available tonight?

Himself and Kos are listed as having Hammy strains. No return date for either.

I didn't see them.
    Could you point out the post please as i'm interested.

http://www.boards.ie/search/advanced/

• Advertisement

That just brings me to Boards.
    Can you not just give the post number? It's easy enough.
    Bated breath here.

If my understanding is correct BOTH Tayto and Mansize would like Arsenal to have a new manager next season.
    Correct me if I am wrong Mansize but didnt you say before you would like a new young manger in next season that Wenger could help.

I was just wondering by my question if anyone actually wanted him to sign a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Good article and could raise some good debate.

If the new manager came in and his record after 4 seasons was 2 FA Cup wins and 4 top 4 finishes, would that be enough for him to keep his job?

http://7amkickoff.com/index.php/2017/02/18/would-you-fire-the-next-manager-if-he-won-two-fa-cups-and-4-top-four-finishes-over-4-years/

I think the team that made muppets of themselves in Munich should all start tonight,show them how lucky they are to be playing for us and remind them of the hard work it took for each of them to get a place at a top club.
    Remind them that just because your at Arsenal doesnt mean your finished your hard work and can swan around without a care in the world.

If my understanding is correct BOTH Tayto and Mansize would like Arsenal to have a new manager next season.
    Correct me if I am wrong Mansize but didnt you say before you would like a new young manger in next season that Wenger could help.

I was just wondering by my question if anyone actually wanted him to sign a new contract.

I would be willing to see he move upstairs as a compromise

If he signs a new contact I'll support that 100%

I would be willing to see he move upstairs as a compromise

If he signs a new contact I'll support that 100%

Which would be your preference?

• Advertisement

Which would be your preference?

For Wenger to have the choice

Christ on a bike. Back to this sh*t

If the new manager came in and his record after 4 seasons was 2 FA Cup wins and 4 top 4 finishes, would that be enough for him to keep his job?

http://7amkickoff.com/index.php/2017/02/18/would-you-fire-the-next-manager-if-he-won-two-fa-cups-and-4-top-four-finishes-over-4-years/

I didn't read the article as yet. Will do so later.

If the manager was getting the best out of the squad and winning two cup and also had 4 top 4 finishes I would be happy enough. I supported the team during lean years before BUT i have never been seen a less battling, less focused and embarrassing Arsenal before. No pride in the jersey, lack of effort and in some cases pure cowardice from some players.
    AND that's for a lot longer than 4 years too.
    Why just the last 4 years?

Any chance I could read that post please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I'd love to hear this tbh. I've asked him a few times and never got a definitive answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I didn't read the article as yet. Will do so later.

If the manager was getting the best out of the squad and winning two cup and also had 4 top 4 finishes I would be happy enough. I supported the team during lean years before BUT i have never been seen a less battling, less focused and embarrassing Arsenal before. No pride in the jersey, lack of effort and in some cases pure cowardice from some players.
    AND that's for a lot longer than 4 years too.
    Why just the last 4 years?

I'd assume because for the first time in 10 years Arsenal received sponsorship money when they signed new deals in 2013 and could make the splurge on the likes of Ozil & Sanchez.

Before that they were hemorrhaging their best players every season, often to their rivals.

Any chance I could read that post please?

You can use the search function as well as I.

It's been said ad nauseum that I support AW,
    His record speaks for itself abd his achievements to date have satisfied me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think at this stage a clean break would be better for everyone involved. Moving wenger upstairs wouldn't benefit us at all. Fresh ideas and a new voice are what's needed

If Arsene Wenger rang you today and said the following, what would you say?

"Mansize, I value your opinion. Do you think I should sign a new contract or not and please dont tell me its up to me, I really want to hear what you think. Mansize...... Sign or Dont sign?"

I'd assume because for the first time in 10 years Arsenal received sponsorship money when they signed new deals in 2013 and could make the splurge on the likes of Ozil & Sanchez.

Before that they were hemorrhaging their best players every season, often to their rivals.
    Teams like Porto won the CL with less money and resources than Arsenal.
    Leicester won the league so it's not impossible to win things under a tight budget.
    Anyway regardless of winning things we are not getting the battling performances or the pride in the jersey from this manager and group of players. Not to mind that he's out-smarted by so-called lesser managers regularly. This is what's annoying most fans.

Cop out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So Perez wants to leave apparently. Can't say I really blame him, he's going nowhere in a team that going nowhere.

https://twitter.com/arseblognews/status/833659283099222016

Could all be "fake news" of course, but I'd be pretty angry if I was him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Teams like Porto won the CL with less money and resources than Arsenal.
    Leicester won the league so it's not impossible to win things under a tight budget.
    Anyway regardless of winning things we are not getting the battling performances or the pride in the jersey from this manager and group of players. Not to mind that he's out-smarted by so-called lesser managers regularly. This is what's annoying most fans.

Porto are well run but do also have advantages of being the top draw in a country that produces a lot of talent and has easy access to the South American market.

Leicester you're completely correct.

Other than that i was answering the question you posed, i reckon i'm close enough to why he chose 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The Top 4 finish thing doesn't interest me at all. It boils down to if you believe that Arsenal can win the league under Wenger or not. If you don't believe he can deliver the title then I can't see how you could be happy with him managing the club. Too many excuses from Arsenal starting with the words "If only......"

And in all seriousness how great is it to play 8 games in the Champions League every year? With the seedings system the odds are stacked in our favour of qualifying from the group stages only for the inevitable to happen when we get drawn against the big clubs.

This entire post wasn't totally aimed at you Greedom, just more of a general scattering of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ah, just as I was beginning to warm to you

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement