Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

CatInABox wrote: »
    So Perez wants to leave apparently. Can't say I really blame him, he's going nowhere in a team that going nowhere.

https://twitter.com/arseblognews/status/833659283099222016

Could all be "fake news" of course, but I'd be pretty angry if I was him.

since denied by his agent

I didn't read the article as yet. Will do so later.

If the manager was getting the best out of the squad and winning two cup and also had 4 top 4 finishes I would be happy enough. I supported the team during lean years before BUT i have never been seen a less battling, less focused and embarrassing Arsenal before. No pride in the jersey, lack of effort and in some cases pure cowardice from some players.
    AND that's for a lot longer than 4 years too.
    Why just the last 4 years?

An interesting thing is that I would say we overperformed in the 'lean' years through to 2012/13. We still had all the same problems as we do now, such as a soft underbelly and lack of tactics. How did Wenger bring the best out of mediocre players then, but can't bring the best out of a better squad now?

I wouldn't say he's changed anything specifically to cause this. Is he being let down by his players?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It's just bizarre. There were reporters over in Munich for Sky sports news, and they were asking the travelling fans for their predictions prior to the game. One of them shouted something at the camera and then roared "Wenger in". I thought I was hearing things, so I listened to it again to be sure. That's when it struck me. These people are supporters of Wenger more than they are of the club. I don't understand that mindset. I never will. I'm an Arsenal supporter and I want what's best for the club. When I heard that line, I just shook my head in disbelief.

I'd go for option B too, just to contribute to the poll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    An interesting thing is that I would say we overperformed in the 'lean' years through to 2012/13. We still had all the same problems as we do now, such as a soft underbelly and lack of tactics. How did Wenger bring the best out of mediocre players then, but can't bring the best out of a better squad now?

I wouldn't say he's changed anything specifically to cause this. Is he being let down by his players?
    Yes but surely he sees what's happening too?
    Yet he still picks them and plays the same way even though it's not working.
    Is he afraid to admit failure?

emmetlego wrote: »
    It's just bizarre. There were reporters over in Munich for Sky sports news, and they were asking the travelling fans for their predictions prior to the game. One of them shouted something at the camera and then roared "Wenger in". I thought I was hearing things, so I listened to it again to be sure. That's when it struck me. These people are supporters of Wenger more than they are of the club. I don't understand that mindset. I never will. I'm an Arsenal supporter and I want what's best for the club. When I heard that line, I just shook my head in disbelief.

That's only your take on the situation. Someone else could see someone yelling 'Wenger Out' and could take from that that they are only anti-Wenger, and not interested in the benefit of the club.

Maybe the person yelling that out is concerned that we haven't been linked to any decent managers, and losing Wenger would be a disaster for the club?

At the end of the day, you've taken one person's comment and used it as a blanket summary for how a whole group of people feel.

Yes but surely he sees what's happening too?
    Yet he still picks them and plays the same way even though it's not working.
    Is he afraid to admit failure?

I admire him trying to create a team with a British core, and he has given a lot of (British) players more chances than they probably deserve. A lot of these players have shown glimpses of being great players, but it has never materialised. I'm sure he's disappointed by this.

I know a lot of people want rid a lot of these players as well. If you get rid of the likes of Walcott, Ox, Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs etc and assume that you have to replace with British/home grown, you can understand why they're still around. Not a huge amount of British players who are better than them in their positions.

Tactically, I don't know what's going on. There has definitely been matches where we have defended and hit teams on the break, but our execution when breaking has been extremely poor of late. It also makes no sense that Coq, who used to at the very least be positionally disciplined, has now decided to sometimes be our furthest player forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That's only your take on the situation. Someone else could see someone yelling 'Wenger Out' and could take from that that they are only anti-Wenger, and not interested in the benefit of the club.

Maybe the person yelling that out is concerned that we haven't been linked to any decent managers, and losing Wenger would be a disaster for the club?

At the end of the day, you've taken one person's comment and used it as a blanket summary for how a whole group of people feel.
    Well, not really! But I can see why you'd think that! I'm not using a broad brush to paint everyone at all. Just that this person was asked about the game and shouted support for Wenger...

Anyway. I'd imagine the club have somebody in mind should Arsene not sign again. I'm hoping this is his last year obviously. I'd say he knows his time is done, he is an intelligent man, I do hope his replacement is announced in the same timeframe that he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

For 2007/08 in particular, the midfield of Hleb, Cesc, Flamini, Rosicky is light years ahead of anything they could put out now. Gilberto, who would walk onto the team now, was on the bench that year.

That team also had balls, even if the weaknesses at centre half and in goal meant they finished just short of the big prizes that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

For 2007/08 in particular, the midfield of Hleb, Cesc, Flamini, Rosicky is light years ahead of anything they could put out now. Gilberto, who would walk onto the team now, was on the bench that year.

That team also had balls, even if the weaknesses at centre half and in goal meant they finished just short of the big prizes that year.

Stop, stop... I can't think of that 07/08 team without feeling like crying. That team falling short in the way that it did broke my heart as an Arsenal fan in a way that it's never fully recovered.

• Advertisement

Despite those frailties, this season we've almost conceded as many goals as that entire season already! :(

Despite those frailties, this season we've almost conceded as many goals as that entire season already! :(

Yep, that team didn't ship 3,4 or 5 goals. And when they went away to big teams they ****ing went for it, even if bad luck and a little inexperience cost them in the end. They weren't beaten before the game started.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

In my opinion i think Wenger should come out and say he will be retiring at the end of the season now as oposed to the end of the season to give us time to get in a potential successer,he would be a fool to sign a new 2 year deal and to be sacked or ran out of the club and i think he knows himself hes done. The man will always be a legend at the club for what hes done but we are at the stage now where there has been zero progression and it would really pi** a fan off espicially how Leicester winning it last year and rvp last year with us how close we were if we had just signed them one or two players we needed we would have won the league. The same with higuain/suarez/cavani rumours if we paid the money at the time won the league and sold them on the following year for twice the money its just so frustrating, honestky belive if Conte was our manager now we would be 10 points clear and have bought either kante or rabiot instead of xhaka who adds nothing. Missed out big time on Draxler too way prefer him over an over rated ozil all we can hope for now is an fa cup and to finish top 4. Massive changes this summer with new manager hopefully Simone and a clear out of players ozil can go for all i care sad to see Sanchez leaving but any Arsenal fan who thinks hel stay is in dreamland i dont blame the guy for leaving deserves better then a club run by bussinessmen with no ambition Kronke Gazidis please get out of this club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I'm really curious to see how we line up tonight, any other season I'd be throwing the second string out as they would be more than good enough. However I'm still disgusted and bitter about last Wednesday night, so I definitely would be making a few of them play tonight.

I'd go with

Cech/Ospina
    Debuchy, Mustafi, Gabriel, Gibbs
    El Neny, Xhaka
    Walcott Ozil Ox
    Perez

I don't really want to see Coquelin play at the moment, he's been terrible and I don't want to see him being outplayed by the likes of Craig Eastmond tonight. If Perez is injured then I'd throw Sanchez on instead.
    On the bench I'd go with youngsters, Holding, Reine Adelaide and Maitland niles etc. We don't have another game for nearly two weeks after this, so no reason not to play the so called first team players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

B for me too.

The die hard core group of away supporters are deeply devided. Think John Cross mentioned that they were fighting amongst each other after the game. It's the reason cross thinks Wenger is fininshed, as in he's losing the fan base more and more with each (embarrassing) defeat.

Good article from Tim Stillman here:

http://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/arsene-wenger-announcing-departure-now-12623295

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We line up tonight as we did in Munich, bar Sanchez (and Kos obviously). The other 10 who embarrassed the jersey need to be thrown out on that pitch and told to show the fans that they are proud to play for Arsenal football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No matter what side Arsenal throw out they should destroy Sutton, easily.

The other side of that is Arsenal will go through but will some fans see it as a bad result if Arsenal win by 2 goals or less and get on Wengers case because of it?

As long as the players, no matter whos plays, remain professional they'll hit Sutton for 5 or 6 tonight and be out of there without breaking too much of a sweat.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Maitland-Niles, Ox, Reine-Adelaide trio in midfield tonight, enjoyed them in the last round.

Going for 0-7 to the might Gunners.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    No matter what side Arsenal throw out they should destroy Sutton, easily.

The other side of that is Arsenal will go through but will some fans see it as a bad result if Arsenal win by 2 goals or less and get on Wengers case because of it?

As long as the players, no matter whos plays, remain professional they'll hit Sutton for 5 or 6 tonight and be out of there without breaking too much of a sweat.
    Should be a total mis-match. 5 or 6 nil.
    The surface is fine, rated highest of the artificial surfaces in Europe.
    It's all we have left to play for, the scrapings of the season. We'll get to the semis and then it will be same ol same ol if we meet Chelsea or United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'm really curious to see how we line up tonight, any other season I'd be throwing the second string out as they would be more than good enough. However I'm still disgusted and bitter about last Wednesday night, so I definitely would be making a few of them play tonight.

I'd go with

Cech/Ospina
    El Neny, Xhaka
    Walcott Ozil Ox
    Perez

I don't really want to see Coquelin play at the moment, he's been terrible and I don't want to see him being outplayed by the likes of Craig Eastmond tonight. If Perez is injured then I'd throw Sanchez on instead.
    On the bench I'd go with youngsters, Holding, Reine Adelaide and Maitland niles etc. We don't have another game for nearly two weeks after this, so no reason not to play the so called first team players.

Ospina
    Bellerin, Mustafi, Holding, Gibbs
    Maitland Niles Jeff
    Walcott Iwobi Ox
    Giroud

Is how I'd have us out but I can see your logic. I'd also play Holding ahead of Gabriel, have no faith in Gabriel whatsoever. Sanchez off for the full two weeks I believe Wenger said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I'd go with

Cech/Ospina
    El Neny, Xhaka
    Walcott Ozil Ox
    Perez

We could have done with both Cech and Ospina last Wednesday..... not that it probably would have made much of a difference..

It's all we have left to play for, the scrapings of the season. We'll get to the semis and then it will be same ol same ol if we meet Chelsea or United.

Ya those pitches are pretty good TBH.

All EPL clubs have them at their training grounds too, incase the weather is too bad so Arsenal will have trained on it and be used to it.

The only thing that could catch them early is being to complacent but even syaing that, if Sutton scored first, Arsenal will go on and thump them, Lincoln too, as you mentioned, thats when Arsenals test will come.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As long it's United and not Chelsea I'd take same old same old going by our last meeting in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

CatInABox wrote: »
    So Perez wants to leave apparently. Can't say I really blame him, he's going nowhere in a team that going nowhere.

https://twitter.com/arseblognews/status/833659283099222016

Could all be "fake news" of course, but I'd be pretty angry if I was him.

Can hardly blame the chap he hasnt got a fair crack of the whip.

Not even looking forward to this game tonight. Still sickened to my stomach over last weeks capitulation against a very beatable Bayern side. This current crop of players are the most unlikable bunch I have ever witnessed wear the jersey. Gutless. Although we should win tonight, with Theo Walcott looking like Messi if he plays as this is just about his level :pac:

It doesn't take anyone defending anything for you guys to go off on one. One of you will just decide to come on and say why he needs to leave, not in reply to anyone. This will then lead to multiple quote between yourselves saying the same thing you said yesterday.

I'm just suggesting maybe for a change we talk about the team (not that they're a bunch of imposters, or not brave enough, or whatever), such as who we might play tonight, who deserves a run out etc.

I noticed last week that Perez or his agent was hinting that he wants to leave in search of first team football. I hope he doesn't turn into another Campbell.

I hope you can understand that optimism is at a low. We might win our next Premiership game 5-0 but in the great scheme of things the end result will be the same. I wish we had more optimism for you but we are all out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I hope you can understand that optimism is at a low. We might win our next Premiership game 5-0 but in the great scheme of things the end result will be the same. I wish we had more optimism for you but we are all out

Maybe we will beat Bayern at the Emirates in the return leg 4-0 :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Maybe we will beat Bayern at the Emirates in the return leg 4-0 :D

Ugh, it's easy to forget there's a 2nd leg to go yet......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think we confuse the shyte out of Sutton by playing Reine-Adelaide, Maitland-Niles and Oxlade-Chamberlain across the midfield. They'll think they're facing 6 players, and spend so much time looking for the other 3 they'll forget about our forwards. We record a comfortable 2-0 win. I am so smart. S-M-R-T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

ronjo wrote: »
    If Arsene Wenger rang you today and said the following, what would you say?

"Mansize, I value your opinion. Do you think I should sign a new contract or not and please dont tell me its up to me, I really want to hear what you think. Mansize...... Sign or Dont sign?"

Arsene, if you think you can take arsenal forward sign.
    If you think this as far as you can take the team and would like a new challenge, don't sign, but ensure you get a good severance package

My fee is 10% of either.

Salut!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keano_afc
    I think we confuse the shyte out of Sutton by playing Reine-Adelaide, Maitland-Niles and Oxlade-Chamberlain across the midfield. They'll think they're facing 6 players, and spend so much time looking for the other 3 they'll forget about our forwards. We record a comfortable 2-0 win. I am so smart. S-M-R-T.
    I'm confused and Im not sutton!

I'll watch the first 15 and head off to training, I've a lot of pent up frustration from a shyte day at work to get out of my system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ugh, it's easy to forget there's a 2nd leg to go yet......:(

Bought a ticket for that game the night before the first leg. A hundred euro. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

L'prof wrote: »
    Book flights and chance one of the twitter sites? One of my friends did that recently enough and ended up paying far less than he thought he would!

What twitter sites? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Sanchez is in the squad tonight and hopefully in the starting lineup, his kit was pictured in the dressing room. I don't think Ozil is in the squad though as he was pictured on a plane earlier. Been given time off apparently. Well according to twitter rumours.

Sanchez is in the squad tonight and hopefully in the starting lineup, his kit was pictured in the dressing room. I don't think Ozil is in the squad though as he was pictured on a plane earlier. Been given time off apparently. Well according to twitter rumours.
    Ozil gets a lot of time off.

Bought a ticket for that game the night before the first leg. A hundred euro. :(

See ya there!

Joey

@tickets2arsenal
    @arsenal_tickets
    @GunnersTickets

mansize wrote: »
    See ya there!

Nice to know there will actually be someone else there :p

Ospina, Gabriel, Mustafi, Holding, Monreal, Xhaka, Elneny, Iwobi, Reine-Adelaide, Lucas, Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

ospina . gabriel , mustafi , holding , monreal, elneny , xhaka , lucas , adelaide , iwobe , walcott

subs : martinez , debuchy , mert , gibbs , niles , ox , Sanchez .

Edit ... beat me to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Line-up: Ospina, Gabriel, Mustafi, Holding, Monreal, Xhaka, Elneny, Perez, Jeff, Iwobi, Theo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Better not f*ck this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lucas to do a Baptista and get 4 goals. Walcott to do an Aliadiere and get 1.

I'll take a 6-3 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Line-up: Ospina, Gabriel, Mustafi, Holding, Monreal, Xhaka, Elneny, Perez, Jeff, Iwobi, Theo.

I'm happy with that team. Theo upfront should be good enough to rip Sutton to shreds.

I'm not brave enough to to predict a score.

Theo upfront should be good enough to rip Sutton to shreds.

Definitely Theos level tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ozil with the night off? Too soft.

He doesn't do well in the big away games

• Advertisement

No point in playing him. If he gets injured it's a huge error. I don't think his style of play works against lower league teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

mansize wrote: »
    No point in playing him. If he gets injured it's a huge error. I don't think his style of play works against lower league teams

from what iv seen lately his style of play doesnt suit any teams :D:D

4-0

Iwobi and Walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wenger just interviewed there. Still a class act.

If this is under a 5 goal win I'd be surprised.

The Arsenal team has far too much quality to be kept out for long.

Still, a good day out for Sutton.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement