Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Pudders wrote: »
    Arsenal tv. It's disrespectful probably racist and ****ing insulting if you support Arsenal. I know him. It's the language of the inner city. I don't use it. None of my Irish friends use it. But locals use it. And they are true Arsenal fans. So when I see people on here slagging the language off, to me it it is racist. These lads are from inner city London. 2 of the most deprived boroughs in uk. And people slag the blue and fam off. Embarrassing. Those lads are Arsenal through and through. Not posh but are any of us?

You talking about the little black dude thats always getting interviewed on Arsenal TV?
    No thats ty who is a wengerite.
    Troopz.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's still a moron.

Admittedly i couldnt ever seeing myself going out of my way to befriend Troopz and go for a pint with him if i ever lived in his locality. Nothing to do with his race or where he grew up but as an individual person i just find him a bit too hyper and excitable. Arsenal piss me off proper these times but i honestly dont know how Robbie keeps himself so composed with Troopz roaring into his face :D

Good for a giggle ill admit

I do agree with his and others frustrations though. Whatever we think of these lads they put away their hard earned cash to follow Arsenal all over Europe and they deserve better then what they are getting from the manager, the owners and the team.

My mate's mate is white and supports Millwall despite moving from that London 20 years ago and we constantly do that "blad" "bruv" thing to him. I'd best tell my black family I'm sorry for being racist about black people but targeting a white guy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Arsenal tv. It's disrespectful probably racist and ****ing insulting if you support Arsenal. I know him. It's the language of the inner city. I don't use it. None of my Irish friends use it. But locals use it. And they are true Arsenal fans. So when I see people on here slagging the language off, to me it it is racist. These lads are from inner city London. 2 of the most deprived boroughs in uk. And people slag the blue and fam off. Embarrassing. Those lads are Arsenal through and through. Not posh but are any of us?

Hate to break it to you mate but "inner city" isn't a race. I'll laugh at blud and fam just as I'll laugh at a Cork accent. Racist? Get the boat :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Innit

My mate's mate is white and supports Millwall despite moving from that London 20 years ago and we constantly do that "blad" "bruv" thing to him. I'd best tell my black family I'm sorry for being racist about black people but targeting a white guy with it.
    What the **** are you on about?

I don't talk like that. I don't give a **** about race. But taking the piss out of the local dialect? Not really sure of your point?

Hate to break it to you mate but "inner city" isn't a race. I'll laugh at blud and fam just as I'll laugh at a Cork accent. Racist? Get the boat :pac:
    Hate to break it to to you but you know **** all about inner city London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't talk like that. I don't give a **** about race. But taking the piss out of the local dialect? Not really sure of your point?
    If something is stupid, it's stupid. Ending or punctuating every sentence wtih blud or fam is stupid, and it doesn't make it less stupid that there are more than one person saying it.

What the **** am I on about? You're the one claiming that making fun of a dialect (a pretty extreme version where every second word is one of 2) is racist. I pointed out I and others take the piss out of someone for the same thing yet he's white so I'm wondering where the racial thing comes from. Aside from your mindd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jaysus relax man :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What the fúck is going on in here?

We've sedated manzise and now Pudders is taken a punt at the crown.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Hmmmm...eh...yeah so Liverpool next...Are we gonna win it or what....

Never claimed to. It's your hilarious accusation of calling us racists for finding a guys mannerisms funny that's getting me here.

If something is stupid, it's stupid. Ending or punctuating every sentence wtih blud or fam is stupid, and it doesn't make it less stupid that there are more than one person saying it.

Not if that is the language of the Street. These lads are not from foxtock, black rock

• Advertisement

****ing racists. Sweep it under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm just saying a prayer to holy baby jesus to thank him we didn't lose to Sutton.

mansize wrote: »

Islington aint inner city London.
    Lol. I live here you ****ing ****.

Not if that is the language of the Street. These lads are not from foxtock, black rock

Guess you're fine with taking the piss out of people from Foxrock though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm just saying a prayer to holy baby jesus to thank him we didn't lose to Sutton.

I'll say one to Vishnu to cover all the bases.

• Advertisement

Guess you're fine with taking the piss out of people from Foxrock though?
    No but clearly people on here think we all speak PROPER.

No but clearly people on here think we all speak PROPER.

I know I don't, I've a stupid Leitrim/Belfast hybrid accent. Laugh at it if you want, I won't call you a racist for it.

http://www.leafletdistributionteam.co.uk/top-10-poorest-places-london/

http://www.leafletdistributionteam.co.uk/top-10-poorest-places-london/

I know I don't, I've a stupid Leitrim/Belfast hybrid accent. Laugh at it if you want, I won't call you a racist for it.

I've a silly Dublin Meath accent,I'm a bogger up in d big schmoke and a skanger beyond the pale.
    Jesus most of my life I've been taken the piss out of because of my accent.

I stand corrected. didnt think North London was inner city, I regarded Westminster to be the inner city

I dont do TH's - its an Offaly thing. and worked in Southall one summer and no-one could get my name right! Its not difficult!!!!

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I've a silly Dublin Meath accent,I'm a bogger up in d big schmoke and a skanger beyond the pale.
    Jesus most of my life I've been taken the piss out of because of my accent.

I think mines going a bit Dublin because I'm here the last 7 years as well, unholy abomination.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't know why I have to say this a second time today, but get back on topic

Any questions PM me

Thanks

So, next match is... who? Liverpool!

• Advertisement

So, next match is... who?

About 4 years away.

Jesaysus.

So, next match is... who? Liverpool!

Where's Arshavin when we need him?

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Where's Arshavin when we need him?

probably scoring hattricks on Russian state television

Kinda on the accent topic but kinda back on topic. Does anyone know how long does a player have to be at a club to communicate on the field effectively. Like for example, Perez moved here, but presumably his English is limited so how long before he knows enough to play in the team? Obviously there are no set answers as everyone is different, but it has to be one of those hidden factors that dictates how much game time a player gets. Especially in defence where communication is very vocal and very important.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kinda on the accent topic but kinda back on topic. Does anyone know how long does a player have to be at a club to communicate on the field effectively. Like for example, Perez moved here, but presumably his English is limited so how long before he knows enough to play in the team? Obviously there are no set answers as everyone is different, but it has to be one of those hidden factors that dictates how much game time a player gets. Especially in defence where communication is very vocal and very important.
    Depends very much on the player. Some will slot on quite naturally, while others may seem to take an eternity to settle into a completely new environment and struggle to get to grips with how their new team plays

His English should be excellent by now, nor like he's had much else on. :p

6 months should be enough to get a firm grasp I would have thought. A few days in Germany to get my ear tuned to the accent and I could get a few sentences out before having to revert to English. And I got a D in the junior cert more than a decade ago. :p Should be a piece of piss with unlimited money, loads of time and plenty of teaching and assistance available.

Beasty wrote: »
    Depends very much on the player. Some will slot on quite naturally, while others may seem to take an eternity to settle into a completely new environment and struggle to get to grips with how their new team plays
    I also wonder do players like Ibrahmovic speak 6 languages fluently (Swedish, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, French and English), or did he only learn enough to get by on the pitch.

Isn't Perez well travelled?
    In that instance he might be ok with a bit of French,can speak with Gabriel and Cazorla in Spanish and probably Ozil seeing as he was at Real for ages,Sanchez too.
    So I wouldn't have thought it would be a major issue for him but I see your point in regards to other players.

Then again don't people always say the language of football or some sh1te like that

I also wonder do players like Ibrahmovic speak 6 languages fluently (Swedish, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, French and English), or did he only learn enough to get by on the pitch.
    Being Swedish he probably already had a good grasp of English. Once you learn a second language it's easier to pick up more, and again I suspect the Swedish system actively encourages it

Equally once you move to a country with a different language you can quickly get immersed in it particularly if you do already have more than one language

Some players struggle on the language front but still do very well on the pitch and probably get away with a small vocabulary certainly to start off with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Wenger speaks about the players at Arsenal learning English in this video. It's quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Edit. Just saw mod note.

The man is so erudite. I just respect him on so many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That's the thing that causes me great sadness in a strange way: Wenger is such a class act on so many levels. When you hear him talk openly about subjects, particularly those outside football, it's hard to avoid the impression he makes; he comes across as such a knowledgeable, interesting and decent man. Listen to how warm and sincere he sounds in that video, speaking to young kids, "I wish, at least, that you fulfill your dreams". Can you imagine Ferguson or Mourinho having the empathy to say something like that and actually mean it? I can't. For a few moments, I feel a sense of real pride that he's the man in charge of Arsenal - knowing full well that to feel that way is a bit ridiculous.

And then I remember that I really genuinely think that he is past it as a football manager and the time has come for him to move aside. Which bums me out, but I think it's inescapable at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

So is Sanchez going to be an Arsenal player next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Just look at the way that Monaco and City played last night. The passion and determination was brilliant. A truly great match. That is sadly lacking in the the Arsenal team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Just look at the way that Monaco and City played last night. The passion and determination was brilliant. A truly great match. That is sadly lacking in the the Arsenal team.

You seem to be forgetting this:

6309108342.jpg?w=748&h=544&crop=1

Maybe City were overloaded by passion when they got spanked by Leicester and lost to The Pool.

Bloody Arsenal.

Edit: Or drew with bleedin Huddersfield last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Arsenal did what Monaco did last night Wenger would be hung. It was brainless stuff, they conceded 5 goals. It was actually quite 'Arsenal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

ronjo wrote: »
    So is Sanchez going to be an Arsenal player next season?

I dont think he will to be honest. Where he will end up is anyones guess tho

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement