Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

ronjo wrote: »
    So is Sanchez going to be an Arsenal player next season?

Sadly i really doubt it! He's head and shoulders above anyone else in our team - and could walk into the Juve/PSG first team and win titles.
    Wouldn't begrudge him leaving to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's a much better class of row on our threads I have to say.

I think Sanchez will leave. Ozil will probably stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

See what happens when we dont have a match? Thread turns into the Spectator. Discussing the inner workings of London's lower to middle classes. I love Arsenal fans. Even our arguments are the stuff of toffs.

• AdamD wrote: »
    Can't help but point out that Arsenal have made far more comebacks and scored more late goals than United this season, than any team in fact.

Doesn't make it a good Arsenal side nor does it say they have bottle, but your statement is just false.

Sorry for late reply, only spotting this now.
    My point was more a reflection of after the beating Chelsea gave us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

AdamD wrote: »
    If Arsenal did what Monaco did last night Wenger would be hung. It was brainless stuff, they conceded 5 goals. It was actually quite 'Arsenal'.

We conceded 5 and only got one with a dubious peno,against Bayern. We had no passion or drive. I would rather have the attitude of Monaco and go down 5-3, than lose
    1-5 like wimps.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    We conceded 5 and only got one with a dubious peno,against Bayern. We had no passion or drive. I would rather have the attitude of Monaco and go down 5-3, than lose
    1-5 like wimps.
    How you win doesn't often matter.
    How you lose often does.

As long as we show passion, desire and pride I never complain after a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Just watching Leicester there , amazing how sh!te they've gone since Kante left . Steal at 30 mil ... Sickened we didnt try harder to snap him up :o on another note thank fcuk we missed out on one hit wonder Vardy :D

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Just watching Leicester there , amazing how sh!te they've gone since Kante left . Steal at 30 mil ... Sickened we didnt try harder to snap him up :o on another note thank fcuk we missed out on one hit wonder Vardy :D

He should have 2 EPL winners medals in consecutive seasons with different clubs. He's a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Should have played Ozil instead...
    What did he do to earn a few extra days off,went missing again in a big match,seems to be a trait of his.

Here's another either/or....
    Ozil or Sanchez if we lose 1 which would everyone prefer to leave.
    Ozil for me,goes missing in too many games for my liking and I don't think we have the quality around him to carry him through games he doesn't turn up for.

Just a quick edit...Ozil is one of my fave players btw.

I probably pick ozil as well for the reasons you give. The going missing thing is a little unfair on him though I think, you watch him in them games & he's showing for the ball, giving it back etc.
    It's just that he's so dependant on others, he needs everyone else to be playing well to really influence things.

Sanchez on the other hand goes on his own, he might lose the ball 8 times out of 10 but does have that influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Wilshere back to match fitness for the Cherries.

Do ye reckon we could get through a season with a Xhaka - Santi/Wilshere combo?

Without Ozil we might be 9 points worse off, without Sanchez we'd be a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

domrush wrote: »
    Wilshere back to match fitness for the Cherries.

Do ye reckon we could get through a season with a Xhaka - Santi/Wilshere combo?

Without Ozil we might be 9 points worse off, without Sanchez we'd be a lot more.

Well Santi is gone for rest of season apparently . Coq needs to up his game hes been on a downer the last while :) elneny can offer us something in the middle aswel :) Xhaka IMO is a liability with his tackling but does have a decent left foot :) from my previous post i still dunno why we didnt splash out on kante . He would have been perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Well Santi is gone for rest of season apparently . Coq needs to up his game hes been on a downer the last while :) elneny can offer us something in the middle aswel :) Xhaka IMO is a liability with his tackling but does have a decent left foot :) from my previous post i still dunno why we didnt splash out on kante . He would have been perfect

I meant next season. I think Xhaka just needs a season to settle and get used to the pace of the English game.

Elneny is a solid player but hes limited IMO. Coq hasn't the talent to be a regular first teamer at this level .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Does anyone else notice it takes ages for players to find their good form back after injuries?
    Ramsey takes months to find form again after injuries walcott takes ages aswell.
    Even sanchez wasnt himself for ages last season after his return from injury.
    Coquelin is a shadow of himself.
    Maybe im just making connections that only exist on my head:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Does anyone else notice it takes ages for players to find their good form back after injuries?
    Ramsey takes months to find form again after injuries walcott takes ages aswell.
    Even sanchez wasnt himself for ages last season after his return from injury.
    Coquelin is a shadow of himself.
    Maybe im just making connections that only exist on my head:)

No, you're dead right. And it upsets the balance trying to re-integrate them.

Sanchez's form when he came back last year, and the effect on the team that was doing fine till then went a long long way to costing us the league.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    No, you're dead right. And it upsets the balance trying to re-integrate them.

Sanchez's form when he came back last year, and the effect on the team that was doing fine till then went a long long way to costing us the league.

Ya sanchez was shocking by his standards when he came back last season.
    Are they coming back before they are ready or what it is i dunno but players dont come back and hit form within a few games whatever is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

As long as we show passion, desire and pride I never complain after a loss.

How do you even measure this without being subjective?

I actually work close to a robotics team so your input would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ya sanchez was shocking by his standards when he came back last season.
    Are they coming back before they are ready or what it is i dunno but players dont come back and hit form within a few games whatever is wrong.

Don't know but it's a pain in the face.

I realise that there is a saying 'What gets measured gets done' but in this case i dont think we can actually measure passion, determination, etc. Its purely perception and its fair to say in whatever walk of life we can all tell from observation whether we are receiving the best possible effort or not.

Arsenal play with no urgency whatsover and at times that they crucially need to play with it.

Its purely perception and its fair to say in whatever walk of life we can all tell from observation whether we are receiving the best possible effort or not.

I think this is contradictory though, no? How we perceive something is not how something actually is, by definition.

• Advertisement

I think this is contradictory though, no? How we perceive something is not how something actually is, by definition.

in the context of soccer i think its fair to say that those who maximise their potential and those who look like they either dont believe or couldnt be arsed are easily distinguishable

in the context of soccer i think its fair to say that those who maximise their potential and those who look like they either dont believe or couldnt be arsed are easily distinguishable

I think I get where you are coming from.

I still would love to know what actions people see in a game that lead them to these thoughts about the team.

The last game I really enjoyed was Arsenal beating united, maybe last season, the attack really clicked that day (for me it hasn't clicked in a long time!) But to me it looked effortless. Looked like they weren't even trying :)

Sarcastic much ??

I judge it by the desire to retrieve the ball. The tackling, tracking back, covering for players when they are caught out of position.
    Players walking back, pulling out of challenges, ducking out of headers, turning their backs to shots, seeing the danger posed but not trying to stop it (like Walcott recently which was highlighted by Sky).
    It's quite easy to see really for anyone who's played the game at more than street level. Is robotics related or measured by desire?

Sarcastic much ??

I judge it by the desire to retrieve the ball. The tackling, tracking back, covering for players when they are caught out of position.
    Players walking back, pulling out of challenges, ducking out of headers, turning their backs to shots, seeing the danger posed but not trying to stop it (like Walcott recently which was highlighted by Sky).
    It's quite easy to see really for anyone who's played the game at more than street level. Is robotics related or measured by desire?

It should also be noted that it's extremely subjective. Kos can turn his back to a shot, and nobody will say anything.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It should also be noted that it's extremely subjective. Kos can turn his back to a shot, and nobody will say anything.

I will.
    Over the years Mert, Rosicky, Ramsey and Gibbs have done the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

true and plenty moan about Ozil's workrate and that he seems dis-interested yet in most matches he covers more distance than most players.

Appearances can be deceptive.

There are a lot of double standards around too. Sanchez throws his arms up in the air due to a misplaced pass and people are very understanding.

Giroud does it and he has a very bad attitude.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's that subjective now that tayto has gone through the things. A lot of measurable things there too. I like it.

Actually in the city game this week guardiola and others applauded agueros chasing back to retrieve the ball after a poor pass he made. And it was that match mentioned that led to this. So a good example of what people feel arsenal are lacking?

It was alluded to that he was dropped as he was not giving what pep wanted.

At least we are not kicking ourselves for missing out on super striker Vardy...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I guess its all down to your perception really. Mahrez got alot of stick for his effort last night, strolling around making half arsed attempts at tackling, yet theres others that will defend him saying its not his job to be back tackling either.
    I agree with Tayto, at times there are too many that seem to be content to be plodding along and not really bursting their balls to get involved, thats why people are so quick to gloss over Sanchez faults. He loses the ball alot but will track back and jump into tackles trying to retrieve it. That bit of effort and desire means alot to fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

At least we are not kicking ourselves for missing out on super striker Vardy...:D

Did I hear them say on TV last night that his chance conversion rate is higher this year or did I pick that up wrong?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Did I hear them say on TV last night that his chance conversion rate is higher this year or did I pick that up wrong?

I must have missed that. He was full of it at the end of the season...

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    true and plenty moan about Ozil's workrate and that he seems dis-interested yet in most matches he covers more distance than most players.

Appearances can be deceptive.

There are a lot of double standards around too. Sanchez throws his arms up in the air due to a misplaced pass and people are very understanding.

I don't see it as just running around and covering so many kilometers.
    You can run alongside someone and not put in a challenge or attempt a block. I'm not talking about Ozil here exclusively. I'm aware of the different roles players have. Some have to remain in space and be ready to receive the ball and break at speed or supply the killer pass.It can be down to team instructions. But i've never heard of anyone being told not to defend or follow their man.

I don't see it as just running around and covering so many kilometers.
    You can run alongside someone and not put in a challenge or attempt a block. I'm not talking about Ozil here exclusively. I'm aware of the different roles players have. Some have to remain in space and be ready to receive the ball and break at speed or supply the killer pass.It can be down to team instructions. But i've never heard of anyone being told not to defend or follow their man.

I think it was the City game where players really appeared to have very little interest in putting challenges in and making an effort. Very depressing to watch

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsene-wenger-is-a-victim-of-his-own-success-at-arsenal-to-sack-him-would-be-unfair-says-liam-brady-a3473571.html

Arsene Wenger is a victim of his own success at Arsenal, to sack him would be unfair, says Liam Brady

In fairness nobody wants him sacked.
    He should just not sign another contract.
    He has led Arsenal for too long and has lost his impetus.

Brady thought the same about Trappatoni with Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Didn't know that, any link ?

liam7831 wrote: »
    Didn't know that, any link ?

Sure he was continuously defending him on the rte panel for the Ireland matches

Maybe it's time Brady retired from RTE, with his cozy opinions

Maybe it's time Brady retired from RTE, with his cozy opinions

He has just been re-employed by Arsenal - wonder if that has anything to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Interesting that he should stick up for two men that he knows well and used to work for.

I'd take Brady's opinions on Wenger with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »

Well, if I may interject on this point. Giroud used to infuriate me as he did this protestation while the ball was still in play and could have been won back if he tried, or at least made it difficult for the defender clearing. Sanchez doesn't, he protests when the ball goes out of play. That's fair enough IMO.

Arghus wrote: »
    Interesting that he should stick up for two men that he knows well and used to work for.

I'd take Brady's opinions on Wenger with a pinch of salt.

I take his opinion on anything with a bucket of salt. He's another footballing dinosaur earning a fraudulent living. That RTE panel needs to be scrapped, especially that Dunphy clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I wouldn't take anyone's opinion seriously when they're commenting on their boss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Elneny out for 3 weeks, bollocks.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Elneny out for 3 weeks, bollocks.

I like elneney in many ways his atitude and dedication for example but why was he signed exactly? Or why was the likes of perez signed?
    Man united sign pogba and zlatan so we sign elneney that alone shows the clubs ambitions to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I like elneney in many ways his atitude and dedication for example but why was he signed exactly? Or why was the likes of perez signed?
    Man united sign pogba and zlatan so we sign elneney that alone shows the clubs ambitions to be honest.

Zlatan only went to utd at the end of his career as just another feather in his cap, and pogbas move to utd was strictly commercial for him and his clothing label, wouldn't have wanted either at Arsenal

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Zlatan only went to utd at the end of his career as just another feather in his cap, and pogbas move to utd was strictly commercial for him and his clothing label, wouldn't have wanted either at Arsenal

While i agree there is players id sign before them it shows the level of player we now go for why arent we putting 60mill bids in for world class players we mite not get them but we are not even trying.

If we are not signing top tier players we wont be winning top tier trophies.

On a side note i was impressed with nasri for sevilla lastnite alot of nice passes and always looking for ball.

On a side note i was impressed with nasri for sevilla lastnite alot of nice passes and always looking for ball.

Shame he is a complete ballbag! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

FixitFelix wrote: »

zlatan and pogba would have seriously improved yer team and the reasons you have given for their move to Utd are beyond ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

bangkok wrote: »
    zlatan and pogba would have seriously improved yer team and the reasons you have given for their move to Utd are beyond ridiculous

I think they're right on the money (pardon the pun)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement