Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

keano_afc wrote: »
    Elneny is basically Gilberto, with more energy.

He's decent but not in the same class, Gilberto was exceptional at recognising where the danger was and cutting off angles and stopping counter attacks without needing to jump into 20 tackles in a game.

Invisible wall as the Brazilians called him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

In the same way Walcott is basically henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I really hope that that turns out to be true in time .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I really hope that that turns out to be true in time .

I think in time with a run in the team he could be something similar. Reminds me of him a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

batistuta9 wrote: »
    In the same way Walcott is basically henry.

Invisible Wal, is what they called him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

This thread is brilliant at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This thread is very quiet at the moment.

Elneny has been pictured in one of those protective boots - bad news.

The Under 23s gave their Chelsea equivalents a bit of a hammering on Friday. 4 - 1. Holding played well and I wonder if he'll be given a chance if Kos is injured.

Welbeck played and scored a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Heres a question! What happens when Sanchez does leave? (I think the majority of us here feel he will leave)
    Will Arsenal put some spin on it, like his wage demands were to high and we werent going to be held ransom. When in actual fact - Sanchez himself probaly tells the club he wants to leave.
    How on earth do we attract more top players, when people of his stature go. I think there is no gettable replacement for him, and we are really in a lose lose situation. Could be a real step back for us (Leaving out the whole managerial situation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Heres a question! What happens when Sanchez does leave? (I think the majority of us here feel he will leave)
    Will Arsenal put some spin on it, like his wage demands were to high and we werent going to be held ransom. When in actual fact - Sanchez himself probaly tells the club he wants to leave.
    How on earth do we attract more top players, when people of his stature go. I think there is no gettable replacement for him, and we are really in a lose lose situation. Could be a real step back for us (Leaving out the whole managerial situation)

Don't think any fans can give him any stick for leaving. I doubt he'd leave over wages as well, I'd imagine we're offering 220k a week or so and he won't get much more than that abroad. The man wants success and I can't blame him for leaving, owes the club nothing as well.

It's a huge step back for us should we lose him, to buy his quality again would cost 65m+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Another top performance by Fabregas yesterday :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

domrush wrote: »
    Another top performance by Fabregas yesterday :mad:

We dont need him we have elneny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Zlatan or pogba are not needed by arsenal according to one poster here......lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

bangkok wrote: »

Did you not already have this discussion in this thread 2 days ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Don't let that EFL cup success go to your head. Mickey mouse cup and everyone knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Quazzie wrote: »
    Don't let that EFL cup success go to your head. Mickey mouse cup and everyone knows it.

Hardly just the coca cola Cup... He's got like 26 goals this season. I hate all this turning our nose up at players because we didn't go for them...Fabregas included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Why did you mention Pogba, he was pretty anonymous yesterday when Southampton were outplaying Man Utd. Fair play to Zlatan alright getting you lot out of jail. Pogba was pretty average again like he has been all season, far from the best midfielder in the world which you have said more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Does Pogba get a medal if he didn't play the match?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't know what's worse these days, the Arsenal thread when we're playing, or the Arsenal thread when we're not playing.

it is a pretty miserable, depressing place at the moment.

I suppose a good win at Anfield would help lift the mood for a bit only to lapse back to bitterness and resignation following defeat to West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »
    it is a pretty miserable, depressing place at the moment.

I suppose a good win at Anfield would help lift the mood for a bit only to lapse back to bitterness and resignation following defeat to West Brom
    Speaking of, does anyone here expect a result at Anfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yep.

I mean, just cos we're bollocks it doesn't mean they're not bollocks.

We've every chance.

Based on how we have played in the bigger games this season I'm not expecting any kind of result. We are the kind of team that Liverpool have enjoyed playing this season, they are unbeaten against the top 6 so far. The worrying thing about a defeat here is that we could drop down to 6th by the end of the weekend. Massive game in terms of the table and confidence for the team.

I am very worried by our defence. They've been bad to middling all season and very weak under the high ball.
    Liverpool's record this season against the top teams has been very good, ours has not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would take a draw at Anfield, usually I'd be fed up not competing in the big games but a defeat would be really damaging there. Take a draw, limp home into 4th at the end of the season and do it all again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I know I'll be lambasted for this, but I'm so sick of Wenger at this stage, I wouldn't be too disheartened at not finishing top 4 if it meant the end of Arsene. I never ever want my team to lose, never. But if it meant that Wenger finished, then I'd look at it very much as a cloud with silver lining.

We have gone backwards so much in terms of competitiveness and work rate, I don't even get worked up by our poor displays anymore. I've become more "meh" than passionate about the club.

Also, I see Jonker has left the club to join Wolfsburg's coaching team. Another highly rated chap lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How good or bad is Arsenals record away in recent years to the current top 6?

A draw at Anfield is usually seenas a good result but if you manage to beat them, coupled with the game in hand, you'd be able to tack on a few points and keep a direct rival below you.

Theres still a lot of games to be played between the top 6, I think everyone has at leats 2 games against other top 6 sides, some teams have 3 games, so that mini league against one another could be vital come May.

Chelsea for instance have City at home and Utd away left, I'd have no problem losing one if we won the other, lose both and you could be screwed but, everyone is playing each other so theres still a lot of variables at play.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    How good or bad is Arsenals record away in recent years to the current top 6?

A draw at Anfield is usually seenas a good result but if you manage to beat them, coupled with the game in hand, you'd be able to tack on a few points and keep a direct rival below you.

Theres still a lot of games to be played between the top 6, I think everyone has at leats 2 games against other top 6 sides, some teams have 3 games, so that mini league against one another could be vital come May.

Chelsea for instance have City at home and Utd away left, I'd have no problem losing one if we won the other, lose both and you could be screwed but, everyone is playing each other so theres still a lot of variables at play.

Arsenals record against the top 6 away is average enough. We do ok against Man City, Spurs and Liverpool away. However our record at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge the last decade or so is abysmal. It's actually embarrassing to be fair. I honestly believe the team is almost beaten before the game is played at them two grounds. The results speak for themselves.

Arsenals record against the top 6 away is average enough. We do ok against Man City, Spurs and Liverpool away. However our record at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge the last decade or so is abysmal. It's actually embarrassing to be fair. I honestly believe the team is almost beaten before the game is played at them two grounds. The results speak for themselves.

Ye're ok so.

Ye've only got Anfield and White Hart Lane left to go, with City and Utd both coming to the Emirates.

Everton shouldnt make top 6 as theyve found form a little too late but theyve to play nearly everyone of the top 6a,d 4 of those are away Spurs, Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal away, while Chelsea go to Golodison, not a happy ground for us.

So while they may not be in the running, those fixtures could easily throw a spanner in the works for the teams they play.

• Arsenals record against the top 6 away is average enough. We do ok against Man City, Spurs and Liverpool away. However our record at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge the last decade or so is abysmal. It's actually embarrassing to be fair. I honestly believe the team is almost beaten before the game is played at them two grounds. The results speak for themselves.

TBF you showed some bottle to fight back for the draw earlier in the year
    I would have personally blamed Utd for poor finishing which allowed that to happen but still credit where credit is due

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    TBF you showed some bottle to fight back for the draw earlier in the year
    I would have personally blamed Utd for poor finishing which allowed that to happen but still credit where credit is due

Like, Chelsea have an ok record against the top 6 this year, its the fact that in every other game we've beaten the other sides are in the case with Burnely and Swansea away games, drawn them, thats whats set Chelsea apart this year, the consistency to beat the "weaker" sides and get over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Jonker has left the academy to take up the main job at Wolfsburg. He has taken Freddie as his number 2

Nice opportunity to open up a gap on Liverpool with a win the weekend, Leicester didnt need to do much tactically to beat them, long ball to vardy killed them all night

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Nice opportunity to open up a gap on Liverpool with a win the weekend, Leicester didnt need to do much tactically to beat them, long ball to vardy killed them all night

16 days off obviously did no favours for Liverpool. Hopefully we'll be a bit more alive after our break.

greendom wrote: »
    16 days off obviously did no favours for Liverpool. Hopefully we'll be a bit more alive after our break.

We all know what way Arsenal need to approach the game, but whether the players/manager do it is another thing

Leicester defended well.
    Players throwing themselves at the ball to block shots unafraid of getting injured.
    Ours don't do that.

Leicester defended well.
    Players throwing themselves at the ball to block shots unafraid of getting injured.
    Ours don't do that.

Easy to do that when Liverpool players are talking pot shots around the box, only bit of intricate play from Liverpool and they opened Leicester up and scored, would expect our front line to cause Liverpool alot of problems, although the same can be said at the other end

Easy to do that when Liverpool players are talking pot shots around the box, only bit of intricate play from Liverpool and they opened Leicester up and scored, would expect our front line to cause Liverpool alot of problems, although the same can be said at the other end

Hopefully our players will be up for a fight.
    It doesn't seem to be a requirement though under Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

You just know we'll probably manage to make pool look good. In reality we should be going there and winning. I just couldn't predict which arsenal team will turn up.

omega man wrote: »
    You just know we'll probably manage to make pool look good. In reality we should be going there and winning. I just couldn't predict which arsenal team will turn up.

Most likely, it's going to be Groundhog Day. We'll win playing ok, then just do enough to get top 4 and maybe win the FA cup. Personally, that's just not enough for me anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Imagine how annoyed we're going to be when we ship a couple of early goals and the heads drop.

Zero confidence in us getting anything at Anfield. We'll make them look like Brazil.

We'll make them look like Brazil 1970.

FYP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Imagine how annoyed we're going to be when we ship a couple of early goals and the heads drop.

Zero confidence in us getting anything at Anfield. We'll make them look like Brazil.

Couldn't agree more. As I keep saying, this bunch of shìt the beds have yet to show me ANYTHING to inspire confidence. We're going to lose, I'd take a point now.

I hope I'm very wrong...But as I said, what have they shown me to believe anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Leicester defended well.
    Ours don't do that.

In fairness, how many times have they looked that determined all season up til now?

It will be a battle at Anfield between two teams of shattered confidence - a draw I reckon.

Arghus wrote: »
    In fairness, how many times have they looked that determined all season up til now?

It will be a battle at Anfield between two teams of shattered confidence - a draw I reckon.

The events of last week would give alot of food for thought. Where once managers were managing a team of players, it seems now that they are negotiating with a very volatile trade union who will down tools if they are looked crooked at. These pretenders dont bring the same excitement or skill level to football as previous generations did.

There are very few top class players and lads with a burning desire to win left in the game.

Having said that, Wenger has been as equally hapless in his approach to building a team capable of winning and sustaining a challenge for the major trophies. He is yesterdays news sadly. A good man, but a man that has been on the slide a long long time now. When the new manager does come in, he will have serious clearing out to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

After the hammering they took at Leicester we should be an easy 3 points for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Looking at previous years its hard to see us winning here, pretty much any game against a top 6 side away from home varies between a hammering or grabbing a draw from the jaws of victory, I see nothing in this team to change that trend... so it'll be 3-3 or 4-0 to them...

Really feel this is the year we'll finish outside the top 4, & i never thought I'd say this but i'm not entirely sure that's not a bad thing....

Forget the cup as well, that potential crumb of comfort will be whisked away in the semi-finals, I'd bet my house on it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

The depressing thing is that the team are just not playing well at the moment.

Nervous at the back and struggling to break teams down at the front.

Very few players are actually playing at what you would consider their normal level. From Cech, Bellerin, Monreal and Koscielny to Ozil. They're all underperforming. You can only hope that Wenger and his team used the time well to get the confidence back and raise the performance levels.

I have my doubts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

99% sure we wont win at Anfield. Liverpool are very average but we will find a way to bottle it per usual. :mad::mad:

Gringo180 wrote: »
    99% sure we wont win at Anfield. Liverpool are very average but we will find a way to bottle it per usual. :mad::mad:

The past two visits to Anfield we have been leading going into the 90th minute only to concede a soft goal throwing away 2 points. Don't think I could cope with that a third year in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The past two visits to Anfield we have been leading going into the 90th minute only to concede a soft goal throwing away 2 points. Don't think I could cope with that a third year in a row.

I've just lost all faith in this team. At times I wish we never moved from Highbury. Instead of going forward as promised with the new stadium we have gone backwards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement