Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liverpool have lost this year usually to teams who give them the ball, they look clueless when they have to play football, by and large.

Its a pretty alien concept to the bigger sides but to beat the press they deploy, the smaller, relegation threatened side have hit long to a target man and get players running off him, its the best tactic it seems like.

Giroud or Welbeck partnered by Sanchez could have a field day against that backline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Interesting video on the stats behind Ozil:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So lads anything in the Allegri rumours ya reckon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Luis Enrique is now available end of the season.

Cant say arsenal dont have any choices for a wenger replacement..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm going to predict the future.

August 2017: "NAME ONE MANAGER WE COULD GOT THAT WAS AVAILABLE"

Id prefer Allegri or Simeone tbh. Enrique is a poor mans version of Pep (himself a bit overrated). Hard to really judge anyone who manages a team who happens to have the best player in the world (arguably) plus another two or more who are in the top ten. yes he still prepares them for games but Barca Pep for example is different to Bayern Pep or City Pep and i think Enrique would be in the same boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The lad who took Messi and his mates to PSG and got spanked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

keano_afc wrote: »
    Imagine how annoyed we're going to be when we ship a couple of early goals and the heads drop.

Zero confidence in us getting anything at Anfield. We'll make them look like Brazil.

I had hoped that Arsene would have studied the games that Liverpool lost this season looking for any advantage but then I remembered he doesn't get too bothered about the opposition and sends his team out blind.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The lad who took Messi and his mates to PSG and got spanked?

He did win a treble in his first season tbf. Id prefer to get away from this tiki taka shíte and tweak our game to add a bit more steel and directness.

He did win a treble in his first season tbf. Id prefer to get away from this tiki taka shíte and tweak our game to add a bit more steel and directness.

I'd hardly call what we've been playing 'tiki taka shíte'. It's definitely shíte, though.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'd hardly call what we've been playing 'tiki taka ****e'. It's definitely ****e, though.

Fair point. id agree. Tiki taka is effective when applied correctly and when you have the likes of iniesta, xavi and messi on your team but in our case we were overplaying it with the likes of Gervinho and Chamakh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

We used to play "tika taka" and still bottle it when the pressure was on.(accusations of waiting for the perfect goal??)
    Now we play crap and still bottle it,flashes of brilliance but nothing more.

A change in attitude is needed imho, players are not playing to their full potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Luis Enrique no way. Jorge Sampaoli is doing a splendid job at Sevilla and was managing Chile before that, led them to there first ever Coppa America title. Plus he would have a great relationship with Sanchez. Ideal candidate imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Luis Enrique no way. Jorge Sampaoli is doing a splendid job at Sevilla and was managing Chile before that, led them to there first ever Coppa America title. Plus he would have a great relationship with Sanchez. Ideal candidate imo.

Ideal candidate for Barca i hope you mean, can't see us being able to tempt him over. I'd love Bielsa if it wasn't for the fact he wouldn't last 3 months under a board like ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Great shout!!

Saw a rumour for interest in Sanchez FROM Sevilla funnily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dunno about getting Luis Enrique but I'm fairly sure he plays nothing close to Tiki Taka.

I'd love a manager who doesn't use a specific 'system' and actually caters to his teams strengths and covers their deficiencies. Klopp/Guardiola/Wenger/Poccetino all getting caught out this year because they refuse to alter their tactics for specific games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Does he speak any English? I know it's not exactly a prerequisite but it would be preferable. I couldn't see Arsenal going for someone that out of left field. It's not the same club that hired Wenger. They don't like to take risks and I think bringing in someone with a year of experience in Europe is just not viable.

I don't think Simeone is an option as I read that he reasserted his commitment to leading Atletico into their new stadium.

What would Arsenal fans think about Laurent Blanc? I wanted him to get the United job on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Its easy enough to get a result against pool these days. Most managees see Klopps pressing system for what it is.....a chance to play more direct. Pool have extreemly slow centre back and play to high up the pitch. Id be playing walcott and sanchez up high and looking for balls over the top. Let them have the ball. If theyre not winning it high up 3v3 or breaking then there is VERY little creativity in their team.

The reason liverpool have been good against rhe bigger teams is the bigger teams play them at their own game.

Play ****ter and you win. I know thats paradoxical but its the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He (Sampaoli) is favourite for the Barca job according to SSN, Wenger is allegedly third favourite.

• Advertisement

If id any faith in wegner to pick the right team and play the right tactics Id be loading up on Arsenal this weekend but I do not unfortunetly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

If id any faith in wegner to pick the right team and play the right tactics Id be loading up on Arsenal this weekend but I do not unfortunetly

Thanks for sharing

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd be shocked if Sanchez is still an Arsenal player at the end of the summer unfortunately.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Sanchez is still an Arsenal player at the end of the summer unfortunately.

I agree...... probably only way is to get Sampaoli but as others have said, that seems unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't know why, but no matter how much I try, I just can't take to Sanchez. :o

ronjo wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing

No need to get your knickers in a twist, just echoing the point I dont think Wegner will setup the team correctly

• Advertisement

No need to get your knickers in a twist, just echoing the point I dont think Wegner will setup the team correctly

Out of interest, what would you suggest? Let's see how close he gets.

Out of interest, what would you suggest? Let's see how close he gets.

Yer normal back 5,

Elnery, Xhaxa.

Sanchez, Ox, Iwobi

Perez

I think that team would do a good job closing Liverpool down inside their own half with the pace to hit them on the break. I'll prob be laughed out over Ozil but I think if the team was going to sit back and be more defensive ye have better options.

We can argue a few positions but a team who could do a good job winning the ball back fast and with the pace to hit them on the counter

ronjo wrote: »
    No knickers twisted but how unusual that a Man Utd fan managed to get a sly dig at Liverpool and Arsenal in once sentence

What digs? ah never mind was just joining in the convo didnt mean to cause any hassle I'll leave ye do it. Apologies if you thought I was digging at Arsenal.

Yer normal back 5,

Elnery, Xhaxa.

Sanchez, Ox, Iwobi

Perez

I think that team would do a good job closing Liverpool down inside their own half with the pace to hit them on the break. I'll prob be laughed out over Ozil but I think if the team was going to sit back and be more defensive ye have better options.

We can argue a few positions but a team who could do a good job winning the ball back fast and with the pace to hit them on the counter

Elneny is injured. Ozil is a doubt for the match. Ramsey is back, but highly doubtful he'll be thrown straight into the starting lineup.

I would go for something like:

Xhaka - Ramsey or Xhaka - Coq (desperate times, would prefer no Coq)

Perez - Ox - Welbeck

Sanchez.

That's assuming Ozil isn't playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yer normal back 5,

Elnery, Xhaxa.

Sanchez, Ox, Iwobi

Perez

Elneny was pictured with a protective boot on earlier this week so I doubt he'll be playing. Coquelin for sure

Elneny is injured. Ozil is a doubt for the match. Ramsey is back, but highly doubtful he'll be thrown straight into the starting lineup.

Perez - Ox - Welbeck

Sanchez.

O didnt know about Elnery, ya welbeck is a good shout for there always put in a great shift for us when asked to play wide, I still have nightmares about his finishing mind :(

Only reason I swapped Perez and Sanchez compared to you as I reckon the defsive side of things is more important on the wing, I thought Perez was a bit lazy in that regaurd (although I could be showing some ignorance there mind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Wouldn't mind seeing

Sanchez --- Ox --- Perez
    --- Welbeck/Giroud ---

but I don't think that would ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Perez - Ox - Welbeck

Sanchez.

Özil is usually missing in most of our big games, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Ramsey, Kos & Giroud back in full training and should be ok for Saturday, Elneny out for 3 weeks according to Arsene.

Is there no chance we could recall Wilshere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Is there no chance we could recall Wilshere?

Nope, no recall option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I weeped a little looking at that. Honestly! What a man he was. What a player. What a legend. Thanks MicksJaguar

emmetlego wrote: »
    I weeped a little looking at that. Honestly! What a man he was. What a player. What a legend. Thanks MicksJaguar

He was an absolute legend, the man was just different class. Holland were the team I suppored every world cup barring Ireland, that goal via Argentina in 94 was a real thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

You aint wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Is welbeck a striker is he a winger is he neither or whats his story?:)

I like the guy and i know injuries have held him back but his goalscoring record is horrendous for man united and us.
    Id start him upfront for rest of season amd see how he gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is welbeck a striker is he a winger is he neither or whats his story?:)

I like the guy and i know injuries have held him back but his goalscoring record is horrendous for man united and us.
    Id start him upfront for rest of season amd see how he gets on

He's a workhorse. If the rest of them put in half the graft he does, we wouldnt be the predictable laughing stock we are.

He's a workhorse. If the rest of them put in half the graft he does, we wouldnt be the predictable laughing stock we are.

Love Welbz. Great fella, can't wait till he's back in the team.

Hard work is great and all but there's a reason united were OK with letting him go to us. (He's not that good).

Hard work is great and all but there's a reason united were OK with letting him go to us. (He's not that good).

Years ago our attacking players were players of the highest calibre, Henry, Bergkamp, Wiltord, Kanu, Pires, Ljungberg, Parlour, Van Persie, Fabregas. Fair enough we have 2 or 3 quality players now in Sanchez, Ozil and Giroud now but then we have Walcott, Ox, Welbeck, Iwobi all mid table team players imo :pac:

I thought when we would be moving to the bigger stadium we would be taking steps forward not backwards.

I really don't get all this Iwobi bashing. Not everyone mind, but a few. He's only a kid, and he's a brilliant prospect I think. He has show terrific promise. He's just being over used by Wenger. We should not be depending on a kid as a regular starter.

Sorry for replying to myself, but I had to post this.

Just finished listening to this podcast. Absolutely fantastic analysis of Dennis Bergkamp and his brilliance. Is it odd that I get slightly aroused by the memories of this man? Off the ball on Newstalk. It's an interview with the author of 'stillness and speed' and Kilbane's memories. Loved the social media today praising probably our most brilliant footballer.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Football_Show_on_Off_The_Ball/181812/Bergkamps_Genius_Good_Geordie_Days__Barcas_Future

He was an absolute legend, the man was just different class. Holland were the team I suppored every world cup barring Ireland, that goal via Argentina in 94 was a real thing of beauty.

Reading Romford Pele's book he had a great sense of humour too according to Ray. He once jocked Vic Akers in front of a few Loreal promotion girls and used to constantly wind up Martin Keown

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Sorry for replying to myself, but I had to post this.

Just finished listening to this podcast. Absolutely fantastic analysis of Dennis Bergkamp and his brilliance. Is it odd that I get slightly aroused by the memories of this man? Off the ball on Newstalk. It's an interview with the author of 'stillness and speed' and Kilbane's memories. Loved the social media today praising probably our most brilliant footballer.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Football_Show_on_Off_The_Ball/181812/Bergkamps_Genius_Good_Geordie_Days__Barcas_Future

Caught a good bit if it on the radio. Brilliant.

I'd stop short of being aroused, but jesus tonight we were blessed to have him.

"Which part of it did they think I didn't mean?" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement