Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jesus. Souness now trying to insinuate wengers early success was a fluke. The second half of his reign has been largely terrible, but shutup with that shíte.

It's always been obvious he's disliked arsenal and loves to stick the boot in on nights like this, but he's gone down a notch in my estimation there. And I do quite like him as a pundit.

In fairness, Wenger inherited a hardened team. A great back 5 full of leaders, Dennis Bergkamp, Ian Wright and Viera was already there. He got a gem in Henry and picked off the best talent from Ligue 1 before it became sexy for other clubs to exploit.

Wenger signed players after that but the player culture was already there. As soon as the older players left, they were done.

Let's be honest. There was a fortunate element of it all but he still deserves a lot of credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

wawaman wrote: »
    Things are that bad, We are been pitied

Yep usually after we lose all my pool and united mates are trolling my fb feed, not this season. Only my sister slagged me about the Chelsea result and she doesn't even follow football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Souness was more trying to say he struck gold twice and completely failed to move with the times I thought.

He said he inherited the best back 5 in Europe (which I'm sure is debatable on its own), implying he's never built a decent defence. Ignores the fact none of those 5 were starters in the only team to go a full length season unbeaten.

Implies he got lucky because the French players were so strong during his successful period and he had insider knowledge on that league. Like it was impossible for anyone else to buy these players.

Worst of all was the shít he spouted about how the successful teams he played in organised themselves and that Vieira and Tony adams etc. would have probably done the organising of the team when things needed doing. He hasn't a fúcking notion what went on in the arsenal dressing room in 98-2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Been saying it for three years. He will have to be dragged out. What a way for the great man to go.

Just.resign.

As Claude on ArsenalFanTv said

"Give him a 20 year contract and then carry him out in a facking coffin."

:)

As Claude on ArsenalFanTv said

"Give him a 20 year contract and then carry him out in a facking coffin."

:)

Dead Wenger would probably be a better tactician!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep usually after we lose all my pool and united mates are trolling my fb feed, not this season. Only my sister slagged me about the Chelsea result and she doesn't even follow football!

I just got a message from my United buddy... Usually it's a "lol at ye" sort of message but for the last few months there's been no slagging...Just what the fücking...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

In fairness, Wenger inherited a hardened team. A great back 5 full of leaders, Dennis Bergkamp, Ian Wright and Viera was already there. He got a gem in Henry and picked off the best talent from Ligue 1 before it became sexy for other clubs to exploit.

Wenger signed players after that but the player culture was already there. As soon as the older players left, they were done.

Let's be honest. There was a fortunate element of it all but he still deserves a lot of credit.

Correct, he did inherit a great pair of CHs, but IMO Sol and Kolo were better. And Vieria was bought for Wenger, although he wasn't there. He was a brilliant manager. But the world caught up... Wenger has not changed, the rest of the world has. It really is a terribly worrying time as an Arsenal fan.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Don't mind Souness anyway lads, his credibility is in the gutter so long now that no one listens, even if he's dissing a rival.

I think Wenger has to know his time is up but there is a level of arrogance in him that might make it tough for him to make the call himself.

The gameplay was right for the first half but there was no adaptation when the game changed. They were still being told to push on and then just kept getting caught out of position. Koscielny is the glue for your defence, he commands the back line and gets people into position so when he went off, the rest hadn't a notion. Used to be the same when Chelsea player without Terry but Conte solved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Quazzie wrote: »
    Blaming the ref... Get off it Wenger.... no peno, no red, offside etc. Excuses.

Produced a huge effort.

Absolutely embarrassing interview. Walter Mitty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

wawaman wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Can it get much worse than this?

A lot worse, not being in the competition and also not winning any trophies.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Correct, he did inherit a great pair of CHs, but IMO Sol and Kolo were better. And Vieria was bought for Wenger, although he wasn't there. He was a brilliant manager. But the world caught up... Wenger has not changed, the rest of the world has. It really is a terribly worrying time as an Arsenal fan.

The club miss David Dein more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,346 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wenger has to go...
    I'd 10-2 agree!

(Might offer some light relief)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    A lot worse, not being in the competition and also not winning any trophies.

You mean exactly where we are as of twenty minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

PARlance wrote: »
    Wenger has to go...
    I'd 10-2 agree!

Damn, that's actually not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

He said he inherited the best back 5 in Europe (which I'm sure is debatable on its own), implying he's never built a decent defence. Ignores the fact none of those 5 were starters in the only team to go a full length season unbeaten.

Implies he got lucky because the French players were so strong during his successful period and he had insider knowledge on that league. Like it was impossible for anyone else to buy these players.

Worst of all was the shít he spouted about how the successful teams he played in organised themselves and that Vieira and Tony adams etc. would have probably done the organising of the team when things needed doing. He hasn't a fúcking notion what went on in the arsenal dressing room in 98-2004.

Also choosing to forget they went to the CL final without conceeding a goal in the knockouts vs Real, Juve etc in 2006 with a back 4 that had Flamini at right back and Senderos. And almost beat Barca in the final with 10 men.

There's a certain amount of truth to the aspect of what he says about the big player temperament not being replaced but to say the players he inherited is the only reason for Wengers success is bollox.

That being said there's no coming back from this for Wenger.

Ffs that's what you say when you're beaten 1-0 not spanked 5-1!!! He has gone senile..

Not debatable, are you too young to remember or just being obtuse?

He credited him for it. Hell it used to be one of the biggest compliments directed towards Wenger, his ability to find players no-one else did.

Do you actuall disagree with his assumptions or are you just being on the defensive for the sake of it? Because if you think Adams would've let that **** tonight happen then I have to assume you're being obtuse.

Rodgers for Arsenal ?

• Advertisement

Rodgers for Arsenal ?

If you want a defence that will help you win trophies, then no.

Rodgers for Arsenal ?

Arsenal need a disciplinarian. A tough no nonscence manager... Who needs to drop a player when they've messed up or when they're not playing well. We do not need another yes man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Rodgers for Arsenal ?

No. They need a disciplinarian. Arsenal would be in a bad bad place if they brought in an "Believe in yourself" type manager.

That's nothing against Rodgers. He just isn't the right fit at this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Still showing undying loyalty to his players, should have thrown them under the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Rodgers for Arsenal ?

Not a notion!

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ it looks like he's planning to keep his claws dug in.

''Arsenal have shamed English football tonight ''

Bit over the top .

The nutty professor blaming everyone but himself as per usual. Hard to feel sorry for him when he comes out with this sort of delusional shít

PLayer sent out to say '' sorry'' to the fans .

Wenger should be out apologising too.

There isn't a SINGLE club in the world that wouldnt have given this fella a p45 by now.

• Advertisement

But it's the refs fault? Or the weather? Or Brexit? Perhaps Donald trump issued an executive order for us to capitulate yet again? It's certainly not Arsene's...Nope he's the greatest :rolleyes:

Wenger should be out apologising too.

There isn't a SINGLE club in the world that wouldnt have given this fella a p45 by now.
    There isn't a SINGLE club in the world that wouldnt want what Arsene did for Arsenal in last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,640 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Patrick Viera coaching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

PARlance wrote: »
    Wenger has to go...
    I'd 10-2 agree!

Heeehee

There isn't a SINGLE club in the world that wouldnt want what Arsene did for Arsenal in last 20 years.

Rubbish. Look at Raneiri at Leicester. Wins the league one year, not performing the next and sacked. Mourinho...Etc. We haven't performed as we should in ten years. We're the 5th richest club in the world and an absolute laughing stock. FA cups...Who gives a shìt about FA cups or finishing 4th in the league to be embarrassed like that in the CL every year. We are seriously underperforming. If I did that in my job I'd be sacked. This fella is infallible. We're a joke club now.

I'm so asking an Arsenal fan what time it is at 1.50 tomorrow.

Rubbish. Look at Raneiri at Leicester. Wins the league one year, not performing the next and sacked. Mourinho...Etc. We haven't performed as we should in ten years. We're the 5th richest club in the world and an absolute laughing stock. FA cups...Who gives a shìt about FA cups or finishing 4th in the league to be embarrassed like that in the CL every year. We are seriously underperforming. If I did that in my job I'd be sacked. This fella is infallible. We're a joke club now.

Champions league every year is winning in one sense. Could be a case of you don't know what you have till it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There isn't a SINGLE club in the world that wouldnt want what Arsene did for Arsenal in 10 - 20 years ago.
    FYP

Oh Christ not another one of you deluded lunatics

No set of supporters would accept that their club was charging 64 pounds to watch this utter crap.

Arsene Wenger is finished. He's become an embarrassment and a laughing stock. And hard paying Arsenal fans are the ones suffering

Theres no disputing what he's done for the club, but all managerial reigns eventually end. How to time the exit is also one of the skills of a good manager. It'll never happen to Arsenal, but look what happened to Notts Forest when Brian Clough hung around there too long.

• Advertisement

Laurent Blanc would be an interesting appointment. He won Premier League as a player and knows how to win titles as a manager too.

Champions league every year is winning in one sense. Could be a case of you don't know what you have till it's gone.

Yes because I'll always long for nights like tonight. One of many hammerings overseen by Magoo the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I'm more annoyed after watching that interview. I wish he could be honest or at least attempt to be in some way truthful.
    The lame excuses and clear delusion does him zero favours

I'm so asking an Arsenal fan what time it is at 1.50 tomorrow.

Time for Wenger to go.

Time for Wenger to go.

NAA
    He'll blurt out without thinking it's 10-2

We won stuff before Wenger and we will win after him. Three league titles in 21 years is hardly stellar. The 4th place trophy does nothing for me either. Who's to say of we had any combination of managers for the last 21 years we wouldn't have won 3 or more titles? His record is frankly pathetic...And what's worse is he's proud of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I just got a message from my United buddy... Usually it's a "lol at ye" sort of message but for the last few months there's been no slagging...Just what the fücking...
    Nah there's no fun in mocking Arsenal any more.

wonga77 wrote: »
    I'm more annoyed after watching that interview. I wish he could be honest or at least attempt to be in some way truthful.
    The lame excuses and clear delusion does him zero favours

The offside penalty was harsh, ref gave it, then gave a yellow, then gave a red, then kicked the player in the balls.
    Ok he done 3 of those things,but he could have added the kick too.

It was comical .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Maybe for the first 10 of those 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

What's the point in qualifying for it if you never improve in it or even learn how to play in it? Even Ferguson realised you have to play differently in Europe after a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement