Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I reckon he's already signed a new contract and the club have been waiting for the right opportunity to announce it but results haven't allowed for that.

Right now I really don't care much anyway and I certainly don't want to expend any more energy on supporting arsenal. If he goes or at least announces he'll go at the end of the season then I'll reconsider. Until then I simply couldn't give a fcuk about the club (except my fellow supporters of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Cant be letting that sort of performance pass without comment. 
    Theres another layer to the Wenger onion being exposed.
    Hes been a busted flush as a top class football manager for many years, bar a few fantasists and the bulk of people late to the realisation, its clear for everyone to see now he doesnt have it anymoe and hasnt had it for probably 8 years or 9 years.
    But theres another level being exposed now. WENGER THE MAN.
    All this rubbish of wenger being loyal to players.. rubbish, rubbish rubbish, Wengers only loyal to one thing and thats himself. He doesnt hold onto players out of loyalty he holds onto players cos if he sold them he would have to admit he failed in having faith in them in the first place.  
    Wengers a long history of not being loyal to top players.
    Wenger has a long history of pushing Arsenal players, fans, ex-pros media etc out of his circle and hte Arsenal circle if they were not complementary to him.
    Wengers tocuhline record is very poor.  
    Wenger talks about respect and contracts, all he respects is the 6 million he gets a year, hes loyal to that. As they say in France about Wenger, he would not spit on money.   
    Wenger full of excuses, blames everyone else, blaming fans , blaming media, blaming refs, how about blaming himself for a change. 

Look at him he cant even manage to create a proper legacy or transisiton of his position. 
    Hanging on like the selfish egoist he is. 
    Wenger has been exposed as a poor manager in the top flite world and european level of football.
    Wenger is now also being exposed as the petty, conniving, sneaky , mean spirited, egoist money grabbing person that he is too.

by the way I see the usual suspects jumping on the Coq is crap bandwagon... how long did it take ye to figure that one out .
    We're so lucky to have you Mystic Meg. Well done.

I agree with everything apart from the timeline bit. I still think Wenger did remarkably well in the first few years after the stadium move, but when the debt was lowered, he didn't improve our lot. So I'd say in the last 4 years, he has been dis-impproving all the time. This year is the pits, but we could be a bit away from scraping the bottom of the barrel.We could end up mid table before he decides he will quit.

I respect the man for what he did in the past, but he needs to move on, and quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There isn't a SINGLE club in the world that wouldnt want what Arsene did for Arsenal in last 20 years.

Quoting 6 Community Shields in the same breath as FA cups and League Titles is clutching at honours, truth be told. They're curtain raisers and a bit of an exhibition. Not many count them as major trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That game last night was a bit of a one off . Things just crumbled through no fault of the team or manager. The penalty was harsh, there was no tackle, no hands on, no trip, no pulling of shirt. It was just body strength against body and he went down and took advantage. On another night it maybe would have been deemed not enough for a penalty, and a yellow, and a red .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That game last night was a bit of a one off .

What a one off like the same score against the same team three weeks ago?!

gandalf wrote: »

This team has no confidence. As soon as things start to go wrong, they implode. The script was written! It was an unfortunately poor decision by the referee and his assistant, but these things happen. What made me laugh was the commentators when the 4th and 5th went in. "this tie is a dead duck now"! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

That game last night was a bit of a one off . Things just crumbled through no fault of the team or manager. The penalty was harsh, there was no tackle, no hands on, no trip, no pulling of shirt. It was just body strength against body and he went down and took advantage. On another night it maybe would have been deemed not enough for a penalty, and a yellow, and a red .

Leaving aside the a Bayern games - they conceded 3 against Liverpool, Chelsea and Bournemouth and 4 against Liverpool on the opening day. A team with designs on the title should not be conceding that many goals in a game so often. Chelsea and Spurs haven't conceded 3 in a league game all season. Why do things crumble for Arsenal so often?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

So who goes in the summer clear out then? An awful lot of mid table dross in that squad.

Not so much who goes but who comes in.

Sanchez leaving will cause a huge deficit up front. Our goals will literally dry up unless there's a high quality replacement brought in.

I'd consider a LW, LB, back up RB and Striker as must buys, possibly a CB too. Even then you're trusting Ozil will stay and that Xhaka can form an effective partnership with Ox, Ramsey, Santi or Wilshere.

Fund this through selling Ramsey, Coq, Gabriel, Sanchez, Gibbs, Debuchy, Sanogo, Mert, Szczeny + 100m on top. Drastic but it's whats needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The midfield doesn't function, that's what needs sorting out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The midfield doesn't function, that's what needs sorting out first.

Our ball retention is appalling. I cant remember the last time we dictated a game in terms of possession against a half decent side. We are very wasteful with the ball.

You refer to narrow cup losses from that era...but previously you referred to "measly cup wins" in more recent times?

In the 70s, within a short period of winning the double, Arsenal were finishing 16th and 17th. You refer to Leicester last season, Arsenal were overtaken by Derby and Forest and Villa and Everton and a whole host of clubs who won the league and in Europe in that era. Kempes having an off night doesn't resurrect it.

Its simple as this, the quality of player was far higher back then despite the pitches and increased up to the mid noughties where as the money has exploded it has taken a sharp dip. There is a dearth of top class players and top class personalities in football at the moment aside from the usual suspsects, messi ronaldo, ibra, etc
    The two recent cup wins are measly as in a paltry return from what resources are available and these wins have proved to be a mere false dawn. Plus the cup is no longer a big tournament like it was with the explosion of the champions league and premier league revenue.

Forest and Villa won a combined total of 3 European Cups (Forest in 79 and 80, Villa in 82). These clubs didnt just beat us but they beat the very best in Europe. Forest knocked Liverpool out for example in 1978. Liverpool were going for 3 European cups in a row that season. Forest spent a record 1m on Trevor Francis and Derby got to a semi final against Juventus in 73. These clubs were consistently good for a couple of seasons and yet Arsenal were capable of holding their own against them. You cannot compare Leicester with that Forest, Villa or Derby team.

With all the resources at our disposal and training facilities we couldnt even capitalise on a poor season for our rivals last season. We had a run going and faltered in February. We beat Leicester City with a last ditch goal and that should have been the catalyst to go on and win but as per usual we shat the course. Would an Arsenal team littered with the likes of Liam Brady, or Charlie George have bottled it? I would doubt it somehow.

So forgive me if i ask for more then the pathetic bottle jobs we currently passing off as 'contenders'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

That game last night was a bit of a one off . Things just crumbled through no fault of the team or manager.

That is a bit of a cop out, lets be honest about it.
    Yes it was never a penalty or a Red card but where is the teams professional pride. Once the penalty was scored the game was over so preserve your pride and remain compact, make it difficult for them, don't leave gaps all over your half. Play with 2 banks of 4. There is no self preservation button with the team. People would have accepted a 1 v 2 or even 1 v 3 but we made it so easy for them.
    Clubs practice scenarios where they are down to 10 men but we didn't seem to know what to do. There was nobody organizing, nobody directing, nobody getting them together telling them 'the manager is under fire here lets not capitulate'. They just seemed to have no clue of what to do once we went down to 10.
    Look at the 1st leg. We are getting beaten 4 v 1 and are just about still in the tie (by the skin of our teeth mind) but where is the self preservation button, where is the don't concede again, where is the if we get off to a quick start in the Emirates you never know. But what happens.... The Ox tries to beat a man on the edge of his box, doesn't and it's 5 v1 ... Game ****in Over !!!!

By the way Bayern haven't even won 5 v 1 away from home in the Bundesliga this season as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The problem is that arsenal are a business and have talked about themselves as a business for a long time now. In fact you as fans bought into it. "Football clubs are a business" we often heard from the fans and pundits.

The reality is because it's 'business' it stops being a club and stops caring about fans. Arsenal don't care about you as fans. The board see that they are the most expensive club to buy tickets for and wenger delivers champions league (and the expensive match days that go with it) every season.

Wenger is an investment to the board as he delivers money from customers who are happy to pay to see a product that doesn't really invest money in making the product better (transfers).

This is why they want wenger to stay and back him over the fans. Sure the fans protest but they still sell out the emirates, a stadium which sold it's soul before it was even built. Newcastle fans and even Liverpool fans fought to stop a named stadium. Would united fans allow old tractor to be named?

As fans you must take back your football club. Arsenal the business must die to resurrect any bit of soul that you the fans pump into the club. I am a Liverpool fan and we don't exactly love each other but us Liverpool fans know what it's like to fight for our club and it's your turn now. Wenger out is not enough. You need someone who loves the club to run the club.

Arsenal claim to be a maga rich club who can afford any player they want..... they just don't want to. I say bollox. If the club can afford it they should respect the fans enough to give them back something for the years of loyalty. Buy a team of players who will fight for the fans.

But as I said this needs a bigger change than wenger or else it will be just another non spending yes man who won't have the balls to fight for ye. The problem is they won't be as good as wenger to get a top 4 every season without investment.

As a Liverpool fan I say screw ye :)

But as a serious Liverpool fan who knows what it's like to feel the club not caring about you I am rooting for ye. I don't know how ye can do it. Maybe walking out at half time no matter the score for the rest of the season. But taking back the club won't be a quick fight.

gandalf wrote: »

Or the 8-2 against United
    the 5-1 against Liverpool
    The 6-0 away to Chelsea for Wengers 1000th game
    the collapse against United at old trafford last march where marcus rashford made a show of us
    the collapse against birmingham in the league cup final in 2011
    the near collapses against Wigan and Hull in the 2014 fa cup semi and final.
    William Gallas, our captain, sitting on the pitch while Birmingham had a penalty in 2008......

All managed by one Arsene Wenger

Time for the deluded lunatics to wake up and smell the coffee. He's done.

the collapse against United at old trafford last march where marcus rashford made a show of us
    William Gallas, our captain, sitting on the pitch while Birmingham had a penalty in 2008......

You forgot losing 3-1 to Monaco and 4-0 to Milan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Also winning 4-0 at half time away to Newcastle and it finishing 4-4! 4-4 draws with Liverpool and Spurs also show how defensively inept we have been over the years. How many clubs have been involved in as many 4-4 draws as us over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Also winning 4-0 at half time away to Newcastle and it finishing 4-4! 4-4 draws with Liverpool and Spurs also show how defensively inept we have been over the years. How many clubs have been involved in as many 4-4 draws as us over the years?
    one of mate lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sanchez has not completed 10km in a game once this season. Ozil for example has done so 14 times. His hard working is a myth, he chases it like a madman if he loses it himself, but generally isn't 'hard working'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AdamD wrote: »
    Sanchez has not completed 10km in a game once this season. Ozil for example has done so 14 times. His hard working is a myth, he chases it like a madman if he loses it himself, but generally isn't 'hard working'.

yes I saw those stats too. Even more stark for me was the fact that Giroud has only completed 90 mins 3 times this season, yet each time he managed to cover the 10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

So much for Wenger playing down training & dressing room rows....Walcott seems to have a different idea ! http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10794770/theo-walcott-says-arsenal-must-show-unity-through-difficult-period

Oh and we've now been charged by Uefa for the pitch invasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Andip wrote: »
    So much for Wenger playing down training & dressing room rows....Walcott seems to have a different idea ! http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10794770/theo-walcott-says-arsenal-must-show-unity-through-difficult-period

Oh and we've now been charged by Uefa for the pitch invasion

See this is the last few months in a nutshell mixed messages coming from the camp the whole time , There is something rotten inside that club at the moment and we're not being told the truth (which we are entitled to btw), But then again you have Walcott who played the 1st half of his life and then when things started to go sour he was one of the 1st to retreat into his shell

And the whole Sanchez laughing thing is being overblown who gives a **** if he was laughing he is the last one who should be hung out to dry here he put in a hell of a shift last night and in Munich him and maybe two or three others can leave that tie with any sort of credibility yet he is being singled out because he wants to be paid the going rate we all know a player like him is worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SteM wrote: »
    Leaving aside the a Bayern games - they conceded 3 against Liverpool, Chelsea and Bournemouth and 4 against Liverpool on the opening day. A team with designs on the title should not be conceding that many goals in a game so often. Chelsea and Spurs haven't conceded 3 in a league game all season. Why do things crumble for Arsenal so often?

Ye beat us 3-0, forced our hand, thanks for that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ye beat us 3-0, forced our hand, thanks for that. :o

whats it like to have a proactive manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

wawaman wrote: »

Wenger's proactive!

Like sometimes, he might make a sub in the 72nd minute instead of the 70th minute

wawaman wrote: »

He tried to play 4-2-4 in the pre-season games, it worked alright but that was pre-season. He went back to 4-2-3-1 as the players were used to it and when that failed, players were sold or let go and he changed to a formation that he knows pretty well, hence we're back at the 3-4-3 but I can see him changing it again to a 3-5-2 next year, dropping Hazard into a deeper, free role behind 2 CFs next year, it depends on what CF and CM we go after though and whether we get our first choices.

So ya, its pretty good that the system change worked, hell even Spurs are playing a 3-4-3 now so theres scope to change.

He tried to play 4-2-4 in the pre-season games, it worked alright but that was pre-season. He went back to 4-2-3-1 as the players were used to it and when that failed, players were sold or let go and he changed to a formation that he knows pretty well, hence we're back at the 3-4-3 but I can see him changing it again to a 3-5-2 next year, dropping Hazard into a deeper, free role behind 2 CFs next year, it depends on what CF and CM we go after though and whether we get our first choices.

So ya, its pretty good that the system change worked, hell even Spurs are playing a 3-4-3 now so theres scope to change.

Well at least you have a decisive forward thinking coach who is prepared to pivot and change. We have a washed up deluded old dinosaur playing with his zip on the sideline. I should be kinder really but since him and the club are basically saying Fúck you to the fans then ill happily call him, the players and the board for what they are.

next year will be a whole new ball game though for Chelsea. They will become the hunted and will have champions league to contend with.

Well at least you have a decisive forward thinking coach who is prepared to pivot and change. We have a washed up deluded old dinosaur playing with his zip on the sideline. I should be kinder really but since him and the club are basically saying Fúck you to the fans then ill happily call him, the players and the board for what they are.

next year will be a whole new ball game though for Chelsea. They will become the hunted and will have champions league to contend with.

Its a strange one, Wenger changed English football when he came in and about a decade after he landed he seemed to get stuck in a rut, I've no idea how or why but thats whats happened, he doesnt appear to ave the ability to change so its probably best for everyone if he does go at the end of the year before it gets so bad that the fanbase and support gets seriously vitriol towards what is a club legend.

I agree on the Chelsea point but even when conte was announced, you'd be hard pressed to find a Chelsea fan looking at a league title, to a man, we all wnated a top 4 finish and maybe a decent cup run, whats hes delivered under the back drop of Guardiola and Jose at Utd has been brilliant and we can only take every season on its merits. If we win this year and finish 4th next year I'd be delighted.

I dont think any set of fans, especially Liverpool and lately Arsenal, should expect to win the league every year, theres far too many variables at play to decide an outright favourite too because the league from Chelsea to Everton is only seperated in quality, by the odd player here or there, its a very competitive league at the top end and even if we get close to 90 points this year and even after the 13 games won in a row, I wouldnt be getting carried away for next year expecting another title.

Its a strange one, Wenger changed English football when he came in and about a decade after he landed he seemed to get stuck in a rut, I've no idea how or why but thats whats happened, he doesnt appear to ave the ability to change so its probably best for everyone if he does go at the end of the year before it gets so bad that the fanbase and support gets seriously vitriol towards what is a club legend.

Wenger came in back in 1996 a relatively young manager with fresh eyes and new thinking but he is now too close to the situation to be able to identify the wood from the trees.
    No one can expect us to dominate football really but when there is constant hammerings, mental collapses and no shows then its time to call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

What's extra depressing is that for years the apparent issue was that we couldn't hold onto our best players.
    Now we actually have two on paper world class players (Ozil and Sanchez) and again on paper a decent squad.
    People get hung up on Giroud but this really should be one of the stronger Arsenal squads that Wenger has had.

To lose a knockout tie 10 - 2 with this squad is pretty damning. Wenger has surely reached the end of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

On a complete side note, no sign of Tayto or Gosplan lately? Poor ole Tayto must have been melting down last night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

wonga77 wrote: »
    On a complete side note, no sign of Tayto or Gosplan lately? Poor ole Tayto must have been melting down last night!

I kinda wish the other fella was here too... The fella who left recently, the guy who loved arsene more than Arsenal.

No. no you dont really...

On a slightly related subject, despite how crap things are at the club, this thread has been quite enjoyable really. And it's not that there's no disagreements, they're just well structured and have some merit, as opposed to the ramblings of an individual!

PSG imploding arsenal style at the moment

I hope I'm wrong but i think barca could pull this off

emmetlego wrote: »
    On a slightly related subject, despite how crap things are at the club, this thread has been quite enjoyable really. And it's not that there's no disagreements, they're just well structured and have some merit, as opposed to the ramblings of an individual!

*posts picture of Bellerin with no top on*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tayto got banned, don't know what for though.

*posts picture of Bellerin with no top on*

*Links to Arsenal fan tv blud guy video*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

You mean he couldn't go on his own terms??!!

• Advertisement

I hope I'm wrong but i think barca could pull this off

Would hardly be the greatest comeback of all time though. They have a whole 90 minutes to score four goals. Newcastle United did that against us in nineteen.

Didn't know that

I kinda wish the other fella was here too... The fella who left recently, the guy who loved arsene more than Arsenal.

He's fine where he is. He doesn't even engage in proper debate we can do without his sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Hopefully only temporarily, one of my favourite posters on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

#TaytoIN

#WengerOUT :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Hopefully only temporarily, one of my favourite posters on this forum.

1 month siteban

• Advertisement

Unbelievable. PSG have well and truely stole our thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Did he say something on here or somewhere else ?

Im a barca fan for the night lol good comeback but suarez man what a dive! did the same crap with arsenal

Maybe Wenger will announce he's stepping down so he can get a similar reaction so we can beat Lincoln.

Unbelievable. PSG have well and truely stole our thunder.

PSG's collapse may free up a job and thus another option for Wenger which he should really consider

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement