Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Maybe Wenger will announce he's stepping down so he can get a similar reaction so we can beat Lincoln.

Weakens the argument that players would drop their performances if the manager announced he was leaving at the end of season. I know Barca have amazing players but still.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I hate Barcelona but you couldnt but admire what they achieved tonight. A lot of diving and sh1thousery but unbelievable bottle to score 3 goals in 6 minutes or whatever to go through. The kind of balls our chancers could only dream of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

wonga77 wrote: »
    I hate Barcelona but you couldnt but admire what they achieved tonight. A lot of diving and sh1thousery but unbelievable bottle to score 3 goals in 6 minutes or whatever to go through. The kind of balls our chancers could only dream of

It's the diving and ****housery that puts me off them, in fairness PSG were at it as well. Happens a lot in the knockouts of the champions league. Diving, playacting and controversial refereeing decisions happen in every single knockout tie. Takes the enjoyment away for me.

omega man wrote: »
    Weakens the argument that players would drop their performances if the manager announced he was leaving at the end of season. I know Barca have amazing players but still.....

And if they get knocked out in the quarters and fall away in La Liga?

Basil3 wrote: »

I'd love to currently have the worry that we might go out in the quarters of the Champions Leagueband that our lead at the top of the league might not last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I'm getting sick of these articles about Alexis being confirmed to have fallen out with the squad. Daily Mail puts up this crap starting Walcott states exactly this but nowhere does he even mention the name Alexis in the article.

And on that subject: Alexis is probably the person we need most in this club, and I don't agree with anyone claiming he doesn't belong at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Prob get a months ban myself for this but sure :D .... sickened we didnt sign Suarez when we had the chance .... skimping out over a few million :) that 40mil + £1 was a joke . leave behind his biting , diving and antics and he is well up there right now with the best strikers in the world :)

Ozil assisting Sanchez + Suarez :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

We should have broke the bank to sign Suarez while there was even half a chance. At the very least he would have won Arsenal the title that year and all the handwringing about biting and diving wouldn't have mattered a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Basil3 wrote: »

Tonight's achievement will be legendary. You could be right ultimately Basil but my comment was in the context of tonight.

Imagine we had turned Munich over last night under similar circumstances (I.e., post Wenger having announced its his last season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

These type stories seem to be gathering legs. Not the most reliable but theres no smoke without fire...

Tbh I wouldnt blame Ospina or Lucas for looking for a way out

https://twitter.com/ArsenalRelevant/status/839612631052914688

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It was Neymar that forced the issue for them. Took the game by the scruff of the neck in the last 10 mins or so.

Makes a mockery of Dunphy saying he was "Not a Player" back at the World Cup in 2014 and saying that he had "failed" in Spain after only one season there.

It was Neymar that forced the issue for them. Took the game by the scruff of the neck in the last 10 mins or so.

Makes a mockery of Dunphy saying he was "Not a Player" back at the World Cup in 2014 and saying that he had "failed" in Spain after only one season there.

Neymar is a great player but hell of a w@nker make no mistake about it. His tendency to dive is sickening and same for Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

These type stories seem to be gathering legs. Not the most reliable but theres no smoke without fire...

They'd all probably stay if Wenger ****s off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Neymar is a great player but hell of a w@nker make no mistake about it. His tendency to dive is sickening and same for Suarez

Yes indeed. Truly disgusting and Suarez gets a penalty for his last dive. PSG just lost it from the kick off....nervous and not the team that stuck it to Barca in Paris... Bottlers, we know that feeling well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'd add Wilshire to that list, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to start afresh somewhere else. Don't see that love he had for Arsenal in his younger days burning as bright in the last year or two. Ospina and Lucas wouldn't be massive loses, I think Lucas was a panic buy to shut up fans asking for a striker clearly Wenger doesn't fancy him at all, he deserves better. Ospina just wants game time and I doubt he will push Cech out of number 1 spot even though I think Cech hasn't been that great for us.

I resigned myself to losing Alexis, even if we got a big name manager in this summer he will still go I reckon, as long as it's not to a PL club. I think Ox will be a big loss too, the last month or two he's been our best player probably who's been messed about with by Wenger. I reckon he end up at Liverpool and turn into a top player. Ozil i'm meh about, not one of his biggest fans to be fair.

Definitely going to be a mini exodus this summer sadly. Going to be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They'd all probably stay if Wenger ****s off

I don't think it be the case, I think Alexis will leave no matter who stays or goes imo. I doubt he want to be waiting around as a new manager rebuilds the team over a season or two. I think Ospina and Lucas will go too. Ozil and Ox might stay if they are in the managers plans. That's if Wenger goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'd add Wilshire to that list, I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to start afresh somewhere else. Don't see that love he had for Arsenal in his younger days burning as bright in the last year or two. Ospina and Lucas wouldn't be massive loses, I think Lucas was a panic buy to shut up fans asking for a striker clearly Wenger doesn't fancy him at all, he deserves better. Ospina just wants game time and I doubt he will push Cech out of number 1 spot even though I think Cech hasn't been that great for us.

I resigned myself to losing Alexis, even if we got a big name manager in this summer he will still go I reckon, as long as it's not to a PL club. I think Ox will be a big loss too, the last month or two he's been our best player probably who's been messed about with by Wenger. I reckon he end up at Liverpool and turn into a top player. Ozil i'm meh about, not one of his biggest fans to be fair.

Definitely going to be a mini exodus this summer sadly. Going to be tough.

im in agreement about ox,he seems to really perform better in a midfield position,he has power and speed to drive past people,passing is meh but hes got tenacity gets stuck in and is a decent footballer overall.

I'd love to currently have the worry that we might go out in the quarters of the Champions Leagueband that our lead at the top of the league might not last.

You know exactly what I was saying.

Barcelona pull off an amazing performance against a bunch of bottlers = Wenger should announce his retirement :rolleyes:

gitzy16v wrote: »
    im in agreement about ox,he seems to really perform better in a midfield position,he has power and speed to drive past people,passing is meh but hes got tenacity gets stuck in and is a decent footballer overall.

Ox has never made a secret of the fact that he would prefer to play centrally. If there can be any criticism, it's that he could look disinterested on the wing at times, rather than getting stuck in even if the manager doesn't have him playing where he wants to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

That Barca team produced a miracle last night. The kind of stuff we can only dream of as Arsenal fans, pure footballing bliss. Don't think I've seen us pull off anything even remotely as impressive in the last 5 years!

On the players leaving, have a very bad feeling that the second we let Ox/Walcott/Ramsey go they'll turn into world class players. Perez is being treated very unfairly IMO, would much rather having him as a risky starter who might produce something impressive than Giroud who will only ever provide consistent mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That Barca team produced a miracle last night. The kind of stuff we can only dream of as Arsenal fans, pure footballing bliss. Don't think I've seen us pull off anything even remotely as impressive in the last 5 years!

On the players leaving, have a very bad feeling that the second we let Ox/Walcott/Ramsey go they'll turn into world class players. Perez is being treated very unfairly IMO, would much rather having him as a risky starter who might produce something impressive than Giroud who will only ever provide consistent mediocrity.

Let them go. They haven't performed at the level we would expect consistently enough.

New Manager, new team - we start from fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Reading Wengers comments this morning, he's going nowhere I don't think.

Says he'll confirm end of season and while he will listen to fans they won't be an important part of his decision.

Talks about loyalty and values that will drive the decision.

He's staying lads, 2 more years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Wenger will see how the seasons plays out.

Right now I think he is leaning towards leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

He is no more leaving. Once yous win a few games it will ease again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

The players you've listed above will never be work class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Soups123 wrote: »
    Reading Wengers comments this morning, he's going nowhere I don't think.

Says he'll confirm end of season and while he will listen to fans they won't be an important part of his decision.

Talks about loyalty and values that will drive the decision.

He's staying lads, 2 more years

so much for him having the clubs best interests at heart. Sir Chips has been wheeled out now to patronise the fans again

Worst case scenario for the pre-season, Wenger still in charge with Ozil off and Sanchez lining up for one of City, Chelsea or Man Utd. Don't think I could stomach that scenario tbh. The worst thing is I wouldn't be surprised and it's not that far fetched that it could happen, scary.

Edit just hearing what Wenger said, yeah he's not going anywhere. Shouldn't be surprised though, if those two legs against Bayern don't push him, nothing will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Statement from Arsenal's Chairman
    “We are fully aware of the attention currently focused on the club and understand the debate. We respect that fans are entitled to their different individual opinions but we will always run this great football club with its best long-term interests at heart.
    "Arsène has a contract until the end of the season. Any decisions will be made by us mutually and communicated at the right time in the right way.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20170309/comment-from-Arsenal-chairman

Perhaps this is the board officially recognising that change is needed? Even that's a bit of a stretch.

Edit: The more I think of it's not a vote of confidence. It is more like the club saying they will....... eh I don't know really what they are trying to say.

Sanchez lining up for Man Utd

I honestly wouldn't put it passed Arsenal to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Statement from Arsenal's Chairman

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20170309/comment-from-Arsenal-chairman

Perhaps this is the board officially recognising that change is needed? Even that's a bit of a stretch.

Edit: The more I think of it it's not a vote of confidence. Its more like the club saying they will....... eh I don't know really what they are trying to say.

In laymans terms, its a f*ck you to the fans and we will do whatever we want regardless of what you think

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    In laymans terms, its a f*ck you to the fans and we will do whatever we want regardless of what you think

A bit more fuel to the fire :o

wawaman wrote: »

If Hillwood was still there it would be 'Oh i see the usual peasants are at it again.....pitiful' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

You'd also have to say, if you were a player with any serious ambitions about yourself, why the hell would you go to Arsenal.

Its obviously a club that isn't going anywhere, its constantly embarrassing itself on the European stage and there's just something amiss with the board/manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That statement reads to me like.

We'll do what we want.
    Arsene doesn't get a complete say in whether he stays or not.
    "Long term success of the club" = who actually cares about winning anything as long as the £££ keep rolling in.
    Fans can fck off, we're in charge, we really don't care what you think...Again £££

I know I said it a year or so ago and I got slated here...But... I'm after falling out of love with the game and it's this kind of shìt that's made me like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I know I said it a year or so ago and I got slated here...But... I'm after falling out of love with the game and it's this kind of shìt that's made me like this.

I said the same in a post before once football changed from sport to money I gave up. It's the equivalent of watching a bank account going up and down and the PL is the biggest case of that.

I enjoy the Rugby more these days particular the Irish provential set up

I said the same in a post before once football changed from sport to money I gave up. It's the equivalent of watching a bank account going up and down and the PL is the biggest case of that.

Same. If you told me that 5 years ago I'd have called you a liar. The rugby is just...Pure. I used always give out to lads who said football is just 22 millionaires kicking a ball around... I'm beginning to think that's the way it is. I'm so disillusioned with Arsenal and soccer in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's not far off being a vote of confidence. I'd say his days are numbered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If rugby was as popular as football it would be just as money driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Arghus wrote: »

Give it time, since turning professional its catching up quickly!
    Still a great game though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

The champions league is the epitomy (spelling?) of this. Watching twenty two multi millionaires, so talented that they are at the top of their profession trying to out cheat each other is so difficult to watch. I usually don't bother with the champions league once we are out of it.

Case in point last nights game between Barcelona and PSG. Diving and cheating all over the place. Watching great talents such as Suarez and Neymar going down in a heap when a player brushes off them is embarrassing. It takes away from what they can do with a football imo. Every knockout tie in that competition ends up that way, teams resorting to basically cheating, no sportsmanship at all in this sport anymore.

Lewandowski another great talent, but a serial diver. Watching grown men trying to get fellow professionals red carded really isn't entertaining to watch.

I think if I wasn't so emotionally attached to Arsenal I probably wouldn't watch the sport anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

greendom wrote: »
    Let them go. They haven't performed at the level we would expect consistently enough.

New Manager, new team - we start from fresh.

As a Liverpool fan watching them start from fresh every three years for the last 30ish years, while watching arsenal continually in the top 4, is advise against this course of action!! :O

Arghus wrote: »

You are spot. You can even now see players making moves to put money in their pockets more and more often.

Once money takes control it's a slippery slope.

You are spot. You can even now see players making moves to put money in their pockets more and more often.

Once money takes control it's a slippery slope.

Im not concerned about money once the player justifies it. Ronaldo for example probably makes his club money and makes those he endorses products for absolutely huge money because he represents drive, success and ambition what ever we say about him. I admittedly gave years slagging him off and taking the 'Who does he think he is?' attitude but do you know what, One Ronaldo is better than thousands of Theo Walcott's. Give me someone who is driven to be the best they can be over someone who has one good game in ten.

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan watching them start from fresh every three years for the last 30ish years, while watching arsenal continually in the top 4, is advise against this course of action!! :O

No, we cannot go on the way things are to be honest for fear of becoming Liverpool. I just cannot accept that.

Football is a sporting contest played on field but the money men have Arsenal have lost that concept completely. They only see profit and loss but what they dont realise is that desire which results in goals most of the time will eventually result in profit and loss. We are not mediocre because we not spending 100m on players, we are mediocre because there is no desire on the field. The club is an empty shell

Liverpool had to say goodbye to Shankly, Paisley, Fagan and Dalglish at one point. Like i said, someday Arsené Wenger wont manage Arsenal as he will either be dead or far too old so the new era may just as happen sooner or later.

I think any new era is going to have to wait for 2 yrs till Arsene sees out his contract extension...
    YAWN

Im just sick of it...
    Its all bullsh1t...
    Same sh1te every year...
    I starting to feel like Im not bothered anymore,thats never happened in my life(and ive known Arsenal before Arsene)...
    Tipp bud your 100% right no desire whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair this really only applies to the top 1% of football. There are thousands of teams around the world for whom football is what it always was. Plenty of them are of a very decent quality too.

I know it's not like you can just switch your emotions from one team to another, but i think it's important to recognize that it's something that's occurring with the pinnacle of the sport, rather than the sport itself. One of the reasons college basketball and football are so hugely followed in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

He's finished lads and ladies. I saw his interview on SSN, done and dusted! He knows it. Just look at his face when he answers... The re-birth is here... In a few months! :-)

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    He's finished lads and ladies. I saw his interview on SSN, done and dusted! He knows it. Just look at his face when he answers... The re-birth is here... In a few months! :-)

I hope so,watched that too,not sure if he will still go though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement