Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

northknife wrote: »
    Seems like there are at least three guys on the Man City forum calling for the head of Guardiola after tonights shambolic display...

I think they are the Gemini Man, tipp_Cityfan and the Honey Monster.

tongue.pngcool.png

I could only dream of Arsenal having a coach like pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its the old argument about whether the 'war chest' is actually available & that's for wages as much as for buying players.

The best coach in the world would struggle if there's no cash in the back pocket. Is it Wenger reluctant to spend big and thinks he can spot/develop talent or more that the board won't sanction 'big buys'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Andip wrote: »
    Its the old argument about whether the 'war chest' is actually available & that's for wages as much as for buying players.

The best coach in the world would struggle if there's no cash in the back pocket. Is it Wenger reluctant to spend big and thinks he can spot/develop talent or more that the board won't sanction 'big buys'.

I think even the wages at Arsenal would be low compared to Chelsea, City, United. It's hard to see that changing anytime soon.

It'll be very disappointing for me if Sanchez or Ozil leave, kind of brings a low again, as I felt things had been improving over the last few years in that space. It's adding to them I thought would be happening, rather than having to replace. Hopefully won't happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Even if we had another manager or not there would still be some people complaining about him.

Even if we were to have Messi, Ronaldo,Maradona and Pele in the team at their prime, there would still be the same few that would find something to give out about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Even if we had another manager or not there would still be some people complaining about him.

Even if we were to have Messi, Ronaldo,Maradona and Pele in the team at their prime, there would still be the same few that would find something to give out about.

If they signed Pep this season and Arsenal were performing the way City are now then obviously they would be complaining. For all their star players assembled for hundred and hundreds of millions coached by who everyone thought was one of the best managers in the world, they're not exactly setting the world alight or outperforming poor old downtrodden, past it Wenger and his gang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

L'prof wrote: »
    If they signed Pep this season and Arsenal were performing the way City are now then obviously they would be complaining. For all their star players assembled for hundred and hundreds of millions coached by who everyone thought was one of the best managers in the world, they're not exactly setting the world alight or outperforming poor old downtrodden, past it Wenger and his gang

Prof if Arsenal were to change manager, do you think the squad would require major surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I need to update my homily to Wenger. There are quite a few items Id left off his list of achievements, my thanks to some boardsies for pointing them out.

Some of you are probably not aware of the technical engineering genius of our leader.
    Before Wenger we only had the gas lights to light the roads to the grassy muddy field with no stadium per se we called Highbury , the man brough electrification to North London. Even the Spurs fans are thankful for that, no more putting a 10p coin in the meter, Wenger relieved us of that slog.
    Before Wenger we only had BBC Radio, well the man single handedly revolutionised the UK telecommunciations industry, providing us with a selection of audio formats and talk shows discussing football.
    I think he might be one of the inventors of the interweb, will have to check wiki for that. 
    The older Arsenal fans will remember sitting in the car listening to static reports of the top English clubs winning their way across Europe , well Wenger saw to it the UK networks had an upgrade not seen since Churchill and the installation of radar. No more static on the line for you new Arsenal fans, you will have no trouble hearing the correct score 10-2 on aggregate. 
    And Wenger is rightly miffed that the BBC have not honoured him yet, remember when all you had was Wednesday night sportsnight, well the canny Frenchman had a word with head of programming at BBC House and they created whole new shows on multiple days to promote the game of soccer. 

The list goes on , he's not called the Prof for nothing, why the man has no end to his talents.
    Although sometimes I do fondly remember the days sitting with fellow Arsenal fans in a dark room, drinking tea from Mrs Wallace, wishing we had electricity so we could listen to the radio, if we had a radio,all of us dreaming of someday having a day out to Wembley.
    Thankfully those dark days are behind us thanks to Wenger. 8 million a year , thats aan insult to the man and all he has done, double it I say, 16 million a year and lets roll on the next 20 years.  What say ye....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Is it just me or do some of the posts in here recently remind anyone else of a certain recent presidential election?

#makeArsenalgreatagain

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

They smashed arsenal a couple of months ago, ahead of us in the table and narrowly lost to Monaco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

No if the team are doing well and playing to their capabilities I don't think people would be moaning. There are legitimate reasons why people are moaning and disappointed with Arsenal at the moment. The fact that the same mistakes are happening season in season out isn't exactly helping the situation.

We were beaten 10-2 on aggregate by Bayern ffs, this can't be swept under the carpet. It was embarrassing for the club and other managers have lost their jobs for a lot less.

If we got in another manager for next season I'd back him and give him time and certainly wouldn't be moaning. If Wenger stays (which he will) I'd think it's the wrong decision, but I'd still back him and the team. I'd even delude myself into thinking it could be different next season, even though it more than likely would pan out exactly the same as the past few seasons. Bear in mind we will probably be without Sanchez and Ozil which will be almost impossible to replace. So it could arguably be worse next season. A fresh start is needed, but it will be another two years of Wenger.

• Advertisement

I was accused of moaning when things were going "well". I was looking at more than just W/D/L because we almost always have an excellent half season, so I was trying to see patterns etc. We had a run from the end of last season (little to play for for part of it) into this season with 1 loss in 30 or something similar. "Celebrate!" I was told. But I could see the same issues, struggling to break teams down, creating few chances in matches against **** opposition etc. I'd point out our amazing 10 game unbeaten run at the end of the season only averaged 2ppg, with Everton being the biggest team we beat. That "run" started on 5th March with a draw against Spurs. Other results around that time:
    23rd Feb: Lost 2-0 to Barcelona (CL)
    28th Feb: Lost 3-2 to United (League)
    2nd March: Lost 2-1 to Swansea (League)
    13th March: Lost 2-1 to Watford (FA Cup)
    16th March: Lost 3-1 to Barcelona (CL)

After the Barce game we went 9 unbeatend with no big results.
    Skip to this season we start with a loss and a draw, then 10W 3D from 13. Excellent. But there was one good win (Chelsea) in there. Amongst that run we lost in the League Cup to Southampton and were completely dominated by PSG but somehow got a 1-1 draw out of it. Then the next 11 games are 5W-1D-5L while we also get embarrassed out of the CL all over again.
    But sure if we win the last 12 we hit 86 points. Just a pity our good half season is already used up.

(Let me guess, always looking for the negative etc.)

Wenger nowhere to be seen http://www.skysports.com/share/10802818

Wenger's first 100:

W42 D29 L29
    lol not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

They smashed arsenal a couple of months ago, ahead of us in the table and narrowly lost to Monaco

Wait, who smashed Arsenal?

City? Smashed us 2-1?

We narrowly lost to Monaco a few years back. How do you feel about that? Y'know for balance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Monaco are a much better team now than they were back then , that monaco team would batter us altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Monaco are a much better team now than they were back then , that monaco team would batter us altogether

Of course, of course.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Wait, who smashed Arsenal?

City? Smashed us 2-1?

We narrowly lost to Monaco a few years back. How do you feel about that? Y'know for balance?
    we was lucky it was only 2:1

Rubbish. Pep is a proven serial winner. Managers are always flavour of the month, sometimes they're stock is high and sometimes it's low. Pep is in his first season in English football, he's yet to make a serious stamp on his squad... This flavour of the month affects all managers.... Eddie Howe was the flavour of the month there 6 months ago, now not so much. If pep wins his next 5 games in a row all of a sudden he's a genius again... Stop being so fickle. If Arsenal had pep i for one would be fücking delighted...Dont fall for the redtops telling you pep is no good. Would drop Wenger in the morning for him, even if he wins nothing with city I'd still take him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rubbish. Pep is a proven serial winner. Managers are always flavour of the month, sometimes they're stock is high and sometimes it's low. Pep is in his first season in English football, he's yet to make a serious stamp on his squad... This flavour of the month affects all managers.... Eddie Howe was the flavour of the month there 6 months ago, now not so much. If pep wins his next 5 games in a row all of a sudden he's a genius again... Stop being so fickle. If Arsenal had pep i for one would be fücking delighted...Dont fall for the redtops telling you pep is no good. Would drop Wenger in the morning for him, even if he wins nothing with city I'd still take him.

Pep has a good record but only with the top teams in their respective leagues. Teams that had been successful immediately prior to his arrival and continued to be successful after he left.

What proof is there that he would be any more successful than Wenhger with Arsenal ?

greendom wrote: »
    Pep has a good record but only with the top teams in their respective leagues. Teams that had been successful immediately prior to his arrival and continued to be successful after he left.

What proof is there that he would be any more successful than Wenhger with Arsenal ?

There's no proof anyone will be better than Wenger. It's always a gamble. The thing is that a fair amount of us are sick of what Wenger is currently giving us and feel like a change of manager would only improve us. Just imagine for a second that we got conté instead of Wenger, or an Ancelotti or a Klopp. I'd see all of those as a step up. Again, it's a chance.

Inb4 someone walks all over Klopp again...Weaker squad, less resources, isn't at the club 20 years. I'll save you the bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

I'll save you the bother.

Haha cheers. Let's just wrap this thread up altogether :)

• Advertisement

There's no proof anyone will be better than Wenger. It's always a gamble. The thing is that a fair amount of us are sick of what Wenger is currently giving us and feel like a change of manager would only improve us. Just imagine for a second that we got conté instead of Wenger, or an Ancelotti or a Klopp. I'd see all of those as a step up. Again, it's a chance.

Inb4 someone walks all over Klopp again...Weaker squad, less resources, isn't at the club 20 years. I'll save you the bother.

I'm not disputing the need for change. But I'm not going for change for change sake, which you seem to be proposing.

I'm not disputing the need for change. But I'm not going for change for change sake, which you seem to be proposing.

I never said that. Point being Pep is a good coach, so he's got teething problems at city and all of a sudden he's a terrible coach? I'd have him and 6 or 7 other managers over Wenger ANY DAY. I don't want change for changes sake at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I never said that. Point being Pep is a good coach, so he's got teething problems at city and all of a sudden he's a terrible coach? I'd have him and 6 or 7 other managers over Wenger ANY DAY. I don't want change for changes sake at all.

**** sake. Pep walked into a side of superstars, was given an unlimited budget in a league where absolute maximum he has two rivals and (unsurpisingly) did well.

Then he left, went to a team of superstars, that were already winning all around them, was given an unlimited budget and did well in a league where he has maybe one rival.

Proven me arse. Let's see what he does with more than two rivals before we bow down like the other poster on this board and start calling him a messiah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

farna_boy wrote: »
    **** sake. Pep walked into a side of superstars, was given an unlimited budget in a league where absolute maximum he has two rivals and (unsurpisingly) did well.

Then he left, went to a team of superstars, that were already winning all around them, was given an unlimited budget and did well in a league where he has maybe one rival.

Proven me arse. Let's see what he does with more than two rivals before we bow down like the other poster on this board and start calling him a messiah.

Bullsh1t nobody said hes the messiah...but hes doing better than Wenger right now his team have bad defensive problems but our team look like they not even bothered anymore thats the real issue here
    the whole squad is pissing around like they superstars and all they are is a bunch of snapchat,facebook thanks whoring fcuks we need a manager they pull there finger out of there arse for and certainley not doing it for Arsene

farna_boy wrote: »

I literally called him a "good coach"

Jesus Christ like.

Wow things are bad - team to kick off against WBA and no mention on here...

C7MrzVZXkAAvV6_.jpg

no Ozil still - what is going on there

Wow things are bad - team to kick off against WBA and no mention on here...

no Ozil still - what is going on there

Lucas thigh and Ozil hamstring, supposedly

Basil3 wrote: »
    Lucas thigh and Ozil hamstring, supposedly

Ozil's bad flu caused him to do his hamstring ?

Delighted to see Danny start. One of a hanful of players to always give 100%

Ramsey and Xhaka in mid worry me...

Predict 3-2 to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

These are the type of games arsenal win quiet easily. I don't expect anything different today.

Ozil's bad flu caused him to do his hamstring ?

He has played since the flu

niallo27 wrote: »
    These are the type of games arsenal win quiet easily. I don't expect anything different today.

Hopefully. The papers have been all about Wenger v Pulis and how Pulis always gets one over on Wenger, bogey team etc.
    The stats say differently, 11 wins in 17 meetings, West Brom already at 40 points, nothing to play for now. Pulis teams have form for rolling over once they hit the magic 40.

Wengers record vs Other managers.

412185.png

Oh dear :P

412186.png

Wow. The old #WengerOut banner being flown by a plane.

We have to be the worst team in the air. I don't think any of our players know how to jump.

• Advertisement

Goal Sanchez....well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How long before we get a dogfight above the stadium? Those supporters are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Now I want Wenger gone, but that is cringeworthy!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Now I want Wenger gone, but that is cringeworthy!

Someone flew a Wenger in one too... That's worse. What kind of fools want him to stay at this stage.

Welbeck has been very poor and Walcott has been pretty anonymous.

I'd be very worried if Alexis doesn't come out for the 2nd half.

Giroud's game may suit this packed defence but only if he gets decent service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Welbecks not good enough simple as folks.
    Hes a likeable guy but so am i so i hear but doesnt mean im playing premiership football.

Welbecks not good enough simple as folks.
    Hes a likeable guy but so am i so i hear but doesnt mean im playing premiership football.

Bashful much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm guessing Ozil is done, hamstring seems a likely story, especially after the flu and a sore back.

Jesus we're beyond vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That is shocking

Terrible from Ospina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Pathetic defending

It's nearly comical. You'd laugh if it wasn't such a serious situation. I know he gets rightful abuse here at times, but I think Xhaka's passing display today has been quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Don't don't know what's more disappointing the drovel we keep producing or the fact I'm not too bothered, back where I was 18 months ago and not being able to relate to a club I support.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Don't don't know what's more disappointing the drovel we keep producing or the fact I'm not too bothered, back where I was 18 months ago and not being able to relate to a club I support.

I've said it multiple times here before but this board and this manager have made me fall out of love with football in general.

Something massive has to change at this club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement