Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think he was politely asked to leave as he refused to discuss things.

Shame Arsene doesn't leave so easily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Lurk more. Everyone here knows where everyone else stands on the Wenger issue. Don't blame me if you're not prepared to read a few pages before posting something that makes you look silly.

I feel ridiculous for not studying your posting habits. Maybe more study instead of watching Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Soups123 wrote: »
    But that comes down to the manager, he can't get them playing, players play there part but this his team and he can't motivate them and they don't believe in him

And there's never a game plan. Ever.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I feel ridiculous for not studying your posting habits. Maybe more study instead of watching Arsenal.

You're a great poster. Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

wonga77 wrote: »
    But I have a real jersey???

But do you have a full Sky Ultra HD Sports package for the half dozen games you MIGHT not be able to attend??

Filthy casual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I stream, dam you caught me out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Disaster, you'd expect Utd to beat Boro and pull ahead of us and an Everton win at home to Hull and they are level with us too.

Nah mate, we'll make a balls of it tomorrow.

#forever6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Made for grim watching lads. How many goals have we shipped in the last month? 10 against bayern and 3 here...shuddering even thinking about it.

I stream, dam you caught me out...

Next time we fail to land a top player because of money you'll know why.

#WongaOut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I knew we weren't going to get anything out of this game , City at home next haha best of luck with that Wenger we'll finish 7th the way we're going

• Advertisement

Next time we fail to land a top player because of money you'll know why.

#WongaOut

Im off to watch the rugby, never liked foosball anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

We'll never see him sacked. He's earned the right to stay until the end of the season.

I don't agree with it but there you go.

Ah yes, but we may be entering new territory in the Wenger reign. More than likely will miss out on CL this year and that is a biggie. Head scratching and anguish at Arsenal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ffs has he not resigned yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

When Wenger does eventually leave I think this club is going to drop like a stone. He's so intrinsically involved in the club at every level he will be impossible to replace. Could be a decade or more of being average. And I'm someone who want's him to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Lads I rarely post on here but I've been an Arsenal fan for many years and it saddens me how things have gone recently.

I've always been a huge Wenger supporter and never would've thought that I'd want him out - I thought he'd done enough for the club to warrant leaving on his own terms.

However over the last year and particularly since Christmas I've come to the realisation that he's taken the club as far as he can.

The way he constantly sets up the team tactically is so simple to counter, just look at WBA today, they identified our weaknesses and easily exploited them. He appears unwilling or unable to vary the team's setup depending on the opposition.

He seems content to tell his players to just go out and play and that the result will come. This combined with his blind loyalty to average players such as Ramsey, Coquelin, Walcott, Chamberlain, etc. has led the team to where it is today i.e. nowhere.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching Arsenal play. The idea that we play good football is a myth and has been for ages.

If a new manager arrives in the summer I'd like one that makes us hard to beat, because even if the football is rubbish it really wouldn't be any different to what we've seen the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

sonic85 wrote: »
    When Wenger does eventually leave I think this club is going to drop like a stone. He's so intrinsically involved in the club at every level he will be impossible to replace. Could be a decade or more of being average. And I'm someone who want's him to go!

It's all going to come down to the running of the club. Get the right man and back him and you might fly the opposite could happen but that said we've been average the past 10 years so it's nothing like trying to replace a trophy magnet.

We are in a way a sleeping giant maybe now we wake

I posted today and said he is going nowhere but after that press conference I'm thinking it may actually be happening! He surely wouldn't be pre publishing an answer at this point if it is an I'm staying he'd have waited for a better day

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's all going to come down to the running of the club. Get the right man and back him and you might fly the opposite could happen but that said we've been average the past 10 years so it's nothing like trying to replace a trophy magnet.

We are in a way a sleeping giant maybe now we wake

The English league is littered with sleeping giants! Let's not go down that road. I suppose it's all just idle speculation in a way but for me anyway I won't be holding much hope that things will change and we'll have a sudden upswing in fortune. Kroenke has shown little to no interest in Arsenal and I doubt that will change with Wenger leaving. The purse strings will be tightened further if anything. The new man whoever he will be will have a mammoth task.

Really really hope I'm wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No I don't think so. Arsenal are a big club. Big stadium big fan Base money to be spent. Based in London. Arsenal will always be near the top, actually they should move now before wenger drops them from the top.

• Advertisement

The English league is littered with sleeping giants! Let's not go down that road. I suppose it's all just idle speculation in a way but for me anyway I won't be holding much hope that things will change and we'll have a sudden upswing in fortune. Kroenke has shown little to no interest in Arsenal and I doubt that will change with Wenger leaving. The purse strings will be tightened further if anything. The new man whoever he will be will have a mammoth task.

Really really hope I'm wrong though

It is a coin toss but my point is we have been average for 10 years already. The club is readymade for the right man.

greendom wrote: »

He has earned the right to step down but you would hope the club have said, that's enough Arsene. He suggests he knows what he is doing and not the club yet, no other manager in the game can really say that except Arsene it's so fcuked up

We're first up on motd for anyone who fancies torturing themselves again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wenger has won 3 titles in 21 years. There could be a case to argue that if Arsenal didn't sign Wenger and just kept on sacking managers after not winning the league, that they could have been just as successful in that time, blud.

There could also be an argument about that apart from the stadium, are Arsenal better off now than they were under Bruce Rioch

Times they are a changin'.

Horrible performance by all accounts. He knows his time is up.

• Advertisement

Disgraceful stuff all around. The post match interview is sad.

The third goal we conceded was unreal. Hard to believe the defensive positioning at this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think the jig is up, he'll announce he's going. It's just become too poisonous at this stage.

Arghus wrote: »
    I think the jig is up, he'll announce he's going. It's just become too poisonous at this stage.

Yep. You may be right. I'm expecting and announcement before the city game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

West Broms 3rd goal yesterday was the worst bit of defending of a corner I have ever seen. Shambolic stuff. Ramsey is a disgrace as well a nothing player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Gringo180 wrote: »
    West Broms 3rd goal yesterday was the worst bit of defending of a corner I have ever seen. Shambolic stuff. Ramsey is a disgrace as well a nothing player.

Ramsey only had that decent 6 months at Arsenal the rest of the time lake most of them he's been less than average

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I wouldn't be getting rid of Ramsey or any other player just yet, a new manager may get better from what we have. Look at how Ramsey plays for Wales? The poisonous performances could be down to our departing manager. I'd let the new guy have a go with our current crop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Think we're in for a few years out of top 4 if Wenger leaves

All the indications are the board have no plan for his departure and he controls so much of the club it will take a few years too put the plans in place too function without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I could accept that in the immediate future if it meant actually putting a performance in against the big teams now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

When I watched the awful match yesterday, I had to remind myself that, Ramsey, Ox, Walcott, Welbeck, Kos, and all the rest were on the field, not a B team. Truly shocking. I just cannot understand why Wenger just hangs on.... He should have enough experience and wisdom to know the players are not playing for him, and he has no more credibility. The only thing I can think is an FA cup title to finish on? It's not going to happen, playing like that.

I went to the Ireland rugby match last night, and it was a nice way of forgetting about the football. It was also a huge illustration of how bad things are at Arsenal right now. It's all well and good playing for your manager, but what about playing for yourself, your teammates, the jersey?? The Arsenal boys should sit down and watch that match last night, they'd learn a thing or two.

When the crowd was belting out The Fields of Athenry it couldn't have been any further from what I experienced last time I was at the Emirates. It's all very sad.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    When I watched the awful match yesterday, I had to remind myself that, Ramsey, Ox, Walcott, Welbeck, Kos, and all the rest were on the field, not a B team. Truly shocking. I just cannot understand why Wenger just hangs on.... He should have enough experience and wisdom to know the players are not playing for him, and he has no more credibility. The only thing I can think is an FA cup title to finish on? It's not going to happen, playing like that.

If you were in a job for the last 20 years where everybody was licking your ar$e and telling you how great you are then could you tell when your time was up? I dont know if i could.

The club might still scrape top 4 so as far as he's concerned it's not much different from every other year - just were going through a little spell where we have the handbrake on.

I'd say the current situation is very confusing for him because he's never experienced anything like this in his time at Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Think we're in for a few years out of top 4 if Wenger leaves

All the indications are the board have no plan for his departure and he controls so much of the club it will take a few years too put the plans in place too function without him

If that's true, than it's a disgraceful way to run a football club. Plans for his departure should have been made years ago. You never know what can happen in football from year to year. It's amateur stuff if the club have no alternative plans to Wenger. They shouldn't expect him to be here forever, absolute clowns running the club.

United won, Spurs on their way to victory too and I don't care anymore. Before I would be working out what result would best suit us in the City Liverpool game but it doesn't matter. We're not getting top 4 and the way Everton are playing we could even end the season 7th.

Hard to care at this stage really.

I suppose a City win is the best for us to finish 4th, Liverpool will finish below them. Also I'm watching with a Liverpool fan. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Go on the Arsenal ladies, showing everyone how to deal with Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

7th wouldn't be too bad

Give the new manager a clear run at the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

7th wouldn't be too bad

My thoughts exactly, if we miss out on CL which is looking more and more likely i don't want Europa League football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Whats the story with the rumours of him signing a new one year deal that's nuts if true

That would mean Sanchez and Ozil are definitely gone and how do you bring anyone in if they know the manager is changing in a year madness !

Whats the story with the rumours of him signing a new one year deal that's nuts if true

That would mean Sanchez and Ozil are definitely gone and how do you bring anyone in if they know the manager is changing in a year madness !

There'll be all sorts of click bait out there. TBH I reckon only he knows what he is doing at this stage not even the club for sure.

1more Year would be brutal, either in or out otherwise we lose our best players and can't sign any. 1 year makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

FixitFelix wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, if we miss out on CL which is looking more and more likely i don't want Europa League football

Absolutely. It's only a matter of time before somebody pulls out of the Europa League.

With the previous Champs and the champions elect all winning without European Football, plus Liverpool going close. I don't think it has been a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Saw this discussed on the Sunday Supplement and the consensus from the Journo's is that the club need Wenger to stay at least another year because they have no plan prepared for his departure. They have no idea who they would get in to do the job when he goes.

Amateur hour stuff if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

7th wouldn't be too bad

Because of the 4 teams in the FA Cup semifinals 7th in the league is pretty much guaranteed a Europa League Spot his year. The bad one, with 2 qualifying rounds to get through in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Advertisement

I imagine we're going to be hearing a lot of these sort of stories until whatever is confirmed is confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement