Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

greendom wrote: »
    I imagine we're going to be hearing a lot of these sort of stories until whatever is confirmed is confirmed.

If tuchel brings reus and aubayang then I'm all for it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Given what Ferguson did at United I would imagine Wenger having a huge say in who comes in after him...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Given what Ferguson did at United I would imagine Wenger having a huge say in who comes in after him...

Given how that turned out, I wouldn't be surprised by the exact opposite.

Scrap tuchel, allegri etc, all the journos now reporting he is staying. We are completely f*cked

CatInABox wrote: »
    Given how that turned out, I wouldn't be surprised by the exact opposite.

You do know who runs our club yeah?

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Scrap tuchel, allegri etc, all the journos now reporting he is staying. We are completely f*cked

I think that's a rumour Arsenal Fan TV put out there yesterday... I don't think theres any substance to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He has to go, players have no confidence in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think that's a rumour Arsenal Fan TV put out there yesterday... I don't think theres any substance to it.

Arsenal Fan TV said that there was a rumour coming out of the club that Wenger was compiling a list of transfer targets for the summer window.

The one year deal, came from another source entirely and has been picked up by the wider media.

Arsenal Fan TV said that there was a rumour coming out of the club that Wenger was compiling a list of transfer targets for the summer window.

The one year deal, came from another source entirely and has been picked up by the wider media.

He's a ****ing ego maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Papers tomorrow saying Wenger told Pulis that he is staying.
    Can see things turning very toxic between Wenger and the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

RobertKK wrote: »
    Papers tomorrow saying Wenger told Pulis that he is staying.
    Can see things turning very toxic between Wenger and the fans.

Sounds like pure tabloid rubbish. I seriously doubt Wenger told Pulis information like that. Couldn't imagine them two being the closest of mates.
    However still think Wenger is here to stay, with or without champions league.
    Yesterday was all on the players anyway, disgrace to the jersey, will be interesting to see how we get on against Man City next match. Wouldn't be surprised to see a close win or an absolute hiding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I actually dont know what to think now.
    I originally thought that Wenger might indeed step down and has finally realised that he has gone as far as he can. These new rumours arent good though, I hope for his own sake that he will go. Don't see why Pulis would hint otherwise unless Wenger really indicated anything to him. But then again why would he?
    FFS I wish Wenger would just say one way or the other and put it to bed for now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The board and Wenger will be smart to not announce this contract news until after the Everton game, cause things could turn quite nasty towards Wenger, the board and between the fans with upcoming games. Add onto this with us more then likely losing Alexis and Ozil maybe one or two others during the summer. I don't see things getting any better come next season especially if we start off slowly like we usually do :(.

I honestly think Wenger probably thinks he can do what Leicester and Chelsea did, no European football=Premier League title. Just wouldn't surprise me. But he's clearly deluded and it's not helped that our board seem to cater to him. Not surprised he's going to sign, he's not going to leave quietly unless he gets the sack.

Looper007 wrote: »
    The board and Wenger will be smart to not announce this contract news until after the Everton game, cause things could turn quite nasty towards Wenger, the board and between the fans with upcoming games. Add onto this with us more then likely losing Alexis and Ozil maybe one or two others during the summer. I don't see things getting any better come next season especially if we start off slowly like we usually do :(.

I honestly think Wenger probably thinks he can do what Leicester and Chelsea did, no European football=Premier League title. Just wouldn't surprise me. But he's clearly deluded and it's not helped that our board seem to cater to him. Not surprised he's going to sign, he's not going to leave quietly unless he gets the sack.

The difference is Leicester had a plan, chelsea had a plan. We have sterile football. we might aswell hibernate for the next 2 years until he is gone because its going to get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He's going nowhere, I'll personally be amazed if he doesnt take the deal. The fact that its his decision alone tells us all we need to know about the state of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Can't believe it but I can't see anything else but him staying for at least 1 more season.

The team are just not performing for him at the moment, the club's biggest players are all talking about leaving and he thinks he can turn it around.

It sounds deluded yet there is no one on the board who can confront him about it, it seems.

I doubt there are many football managers in World football, certainly not managing a club the calibre of Arsenal, who get to say, "listen guys things have gone really badly wrong, but I can turn it around". Interesting experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The difference is Leicester had a plan, chelsea had a plan. We have sterile football. we might aswell hibernate for the next 2 years until he is gone because its going to get worse

The malaise has set in. I just cannot see how Wenger staying would motivate the Arsenal team. He has not been able to get the best out of the team for some time. Either that, or the team is a bad one of overrated players, that are not capable of better football? I am not sure anymore.

Wenger runs the team like a business, when he as the manager should run it like a football team and leave the business side to others. He is not going to change now and neither will the team whilst he continues.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I just cannot see how he can stay after the last few weeks or why he would want to. Really hoping it's just nonsense rumours at this point,

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I just cannot see how he can stay after the last few weeks or why he would want to. Really hoping it's just nonsense rumours at this point,

when all the journos have been briefed you know it is true sadly

Mickeroo wrote: »

He has always said that he wants to leave the club in the best possible position for the next manager. He (probably deludely) believes he has a job to do to get in good shape for the hand over.

• Advertisement

He has always said that he wants to leave the club in the best possible position for the next manager. He (probably deludely) believes he has a job to do to get in good shape for the hand over.

It's like buying a house, the new owner is never satisfied with the decor or furnishings, akin to a new manager in this case. We all know the club is in good shape financially, so that leaves the team, a good one on paper. It's the manager that is stale and his style of outdated management, not to mention his parsimony when it comes to buying players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

See Ozil is fit enough too link up with the national team this week

Is he been a snake in the grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Whatever about rumors as to Wenger going or not this summer, the starting 11 needs a serious shake up. People need to be dropped, complacency is setting in and leaving a serious rot. We badly miss Cazorla too.

I think Holding should be played in the next game or two. I would play Martinez in the Man City. game also, he's a good keeper, Cech and Ospina between them have been unreliable. Walcott, Ramsey, Coquelin, all need to be dropped. Coquelin has had a perennial dip in form for Arsenal in the past two seasons, and it's cost us dearly. Our midfield is lightweight, we need people who pack a punch, fight for their team mates and have passion while coming with the pre-packaged common sense additive.

Bottom line is if you're not good to show up against West Brom, then you shouldn't be playing for Arsenal. You sure as hell shouldn't be playing in a semi final FA Cup tie against Man. City. Let some of our the youngsters have a go,shake it up, they couldn't do much worse than our multi-millionaire unreliable first team.
    We need a call to arms, playing in front of thousands of supporters has to start meaning something to these people, the players, the manager, the board, the whole lot of them.

See Ozil is fit enough too link up with the national team this week

Is he been a snake in the grass

He does not like pressure. At least he will probably get a win with the national team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Once a manager has lost the dressing room it has to be his time to go. Has it ever happened at a club and the manager survived?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I just glanced at our remaining fixtures, it's a horrendous end to the season. Man City, Man Utd, Everton and a rejuvenated Leicester at home. Away to Spurs, Stoke and Southampton which are grounds that we have struggled the last few seasons. We could easily drop points in all them games even if we were on good form.
    Wenger and his players have a lot of work to do to justify Wengers new contract. An uphill battle to stay in the top 4.

Top 4 is gone imo. It will be Chelsea/Tottenham/City and 4th is between Liverpool, Utd and us. They way we're losing ground lately, id be very surprised if were even in with a shot coming into the last few games

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/20/arsene-wenger-planning-drastic-summer-overhaul-effort-end-arsenal/
    I'll believe it when i see it tbh. As much as i'd like to see Wenger go out on a high note, he'll need to be buying more than three players to have any hope of taking the title next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So if true, every philosophy he has believed in for the last god knows how many years holding us back, suddenly goes out the window with a DRAMITIC OVERHAUL of the squad when faced with the bullet!!!!!

Should have done this years ago if it gets the fires burning......still want him to step aside. He has taken the club as far as he can.

Cant get any worse TBH if he leaves, where o' where will we find an extraordinary talented manager that will finish 4th in the PL and a title is a bonus if it comes about with our current squad ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Assuming Sanchez goes the club would need to spend 200m on a striker, LW, LB and possibly a CM (all first choice) and that's assuming Ozil stays. Can't see Wenger ever doing that in a single Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

domrush wrote: »
    Assuming Sanchez goes the club would need to spend 200m on a striker, LW, LB and possibly a CM (all first choice) and that's assuming Ozil stays. Can't see Wenger ever doing that in a single Summer.

After rereading this I can see already the board is suceeding in placating me to a degree with these rumours ffs :o

domrush wrote: »

No way. He would wait for bargain basement prices and take who is left. If he is stubborn enough to stay on, he is stubborn enough to continue his outdated, out of touch ways, of no spending and insisting we have enough quality in the team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Buying three players in the summer still won't change the fact that he sends out the team unprepared and tactically inept.

I thought signing too many players was bad for the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We signed £100m worth of "talent" last summer, and that was to supplement Ozil and Sanchez. When they leave, they'll need replacing as well as other areas of the team which need to be strengthened.

Its all bollocks really, typical spin to take the focus of the shambles we are at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

keano_afc wrote: »
    We signed £100m worth of "talent" last summer, and that was to supplement Ozil and Sanchez. When they leave, they'll need replacing as well as other areas of the team which need to be strengthened.

Its all bollocks really, typical spin to take the focus of the shambles we are at the moment.

I naively thought Arsenal had a strong squad after their purchases last summer but as time went on the usual rot and complacency crept in and here we are in the depths of mediocrity again!

Wenger is the issue and has to go first and foremost.
    I'd prefer to get a new manager in and give him money to strengthen and also the opportunity to cut some of the dead wood in the team.

The Evening Standard is reporting that Wenger will mull over his future during the international break

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsene-wenger-torn-over-his-arsenal-future-as-club-deny-approaching-dortmund-head-coach-thomas-a3494031.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He's tactically inept.
    He easily showed this in the game against liverpool.

Arsenal have one of the best if not the best counter attacking players in Ox, Wilcott and Sanchez. All he had to do was look at how badly Liverpool do when you give them the ball, they can't break down a decent back 6 and play such a high line its easy to get in behind them. He need only look at Leicster the week before.

Yet he goes out, ultra attacking and tried to pass the ball around their press and ultimately got punished.

I think Wenger "WAS" one of the great managers but he's failed to adapt to the times of modern football, and this one dimensional way of playing is biting him in the butt badly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ozil has been ruled out of Germanys game now, wonder if it's a new injury or a continuation of his illness..

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/844158262559825922

I was reading there that Usmanov increased his net worth by nearly $3 billion over the past year to $15.2 billion,
    Regardless of what you may think of him, its a pity that he's been restricted by Kronke in spending money

• Advertisement

I think Wenger "WAS" one of the great managers but he's failed to adapt to the times of modern football, and this one dimensional way of playing is biting him in the butt badly.

We have played counter attacking football. Pretty sure that's how we beat Chelsea 3-0. There's nothing significantly different about 'modern football'.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Buying three players in the summer still won't change the fact that he sends out the team unprepared and tactically inept.

Yup. For the last 10 years even **** opposition has been one decent pass away from opening us up. That said, last summer's signings have turned out to be a joke. As I've said before, other teams spend big because they sell big, we seem to pay big for mediocrity and struggle to break even in a rising market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

wonga77 wrote: »
    I was reading there that Usmanov increased his net worth by nearly $3 billion over the past year to $15.2 billion,
    Regardless of what you may think of him, its a pity that he's been restricted by Kronke in spending money

He's slimy but I'd happily take him as owner now over Kroenke

wonga77 wrote: »

With Kronke worth around $7 Billion :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

With Kronke worth around $7 Billion :o

And Kroenke using Arsenal to secure loans to build new stadiums for his real love...American Sport...Kroenke is the cancer thats gripped our club he needs to go before anything changes regardless if AW has lost it or not..nothing will change until the ownership changes.

Bellerin "It's hard to say no to Barcelona" some rebuilding job this Summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Wtf

TBF, he was talking to a Catalan paper. He also said he left without the intention of returning, and his loyalty to Wenger is worth far more than money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

He's staying, has already signed a 2 year extension. They've even started using the 'war chest' line again. I give up

emmetlego wrote: »
    He's staying, has already signed a 2 year extension. They've even started using the 'war chest' line again. I give up

Who is they? The media?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement